Angel

In the Dark

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 1999 on The WB

• It’s Spikelicious!

Fun words to learn and know: Spike as Angel: “Say no more! Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that Nancy-boy hair gel I like SO much.”

Dialogue to lose inside the sofa in Hell: Spike: “It's called addiction, Angel. We all have them. I believe yours is named Slutty the Vampire Slayer.”

Well, that was a fun episode! I think Douglas Petrie is my favorite JossVerse writer -- after Joss himself, that is. His episodes are usually well written and highly entertaining, and this is certainly no exception. There are so many great lines in this episode, it’s almost impossible to narrow it down enough to choose *the* best line. With the all too notable exception of the line above, Spike is a riot. His parody of Angel and Rachel’s conversation in the teaser is absolutely priceless!

I do have one eentsy (intsy?) problem with the episode, that being Marcus’ overt infatuation with children. Was this aspect of his personality absolutely necessary? He’s a vampire who derives great pleasure out of torturing our hero -- it’s abundantly clear to us that he’s a bad guy; we don’t need that information pounded into our heads like a railroad spike -- or a fiery anvil of death, if you prefer. And what’s with the fugly, fugly sunglasses? All else aside, anyone wearing an accessory that ugly deserves to die.

Another aspect of the episode I don’t really get is this new ability of Doyle’s: *Doyle uses enhanced demon senses to smell out clues!* I’m not sure it makes a lot of sense for Doyle’s sense of smell to improve in demon face, plus, what kind of scent is that ring putting off? Never mind, on second thought I don’t really want to know. Curiosity occasionally leads to very bad places.

Hmmm, it seems I do have a couple of issues with this episode, but, as I mentioned previously, they’re minor annoyances. The incredibly nice exchange between Angel and Doyle at the end and the witty, amusing dialogue throughout the show more than make up for them. Overall, I’d have to say “Hooray for Douglas Petrie!” Thanks for such an enjoyable episode.