Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 21, 2004 on The WB

• Connor's back

ORIGIN

The Good;

Great final confrontation and like the way that Spike is so possessive of his clipboard. Powerful performance from Wes who grows ever more derranged as he suspects Angel has betrayed them.

The Bad;

?

Best line;

Connor; (eying Illyria) "Sorry, always had a thing for older women"

Angel; (muttering) "They were supposed to fix that"

Connor; "What?"

Angel; "Nothing"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Gunn has his heart ripped out on a daily basis.

Apocalypses: 5

Fred; 7

Spike; 5

Kills; Angel kills at least 5 demons, Connor kills 2

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 48 vamps, 72 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 12 humans, one werewolf and one cyborg

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 16 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 4 humans, 2 cyborgs

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 15 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Connor; 1

Lorne; 1

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed;

Total number of Angel Investigations; 5, Wes refers to them running out of people.

Angel, Gunn, Lorne, Wes, Spike

Angel; 4

Gunn; 3

Fred; 5

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 6; Buffy, Darla, The Transcending Furies, Eve

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 2 possible, Justine, Fred

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn, 1 possible Wes

Groo; 1Cordy

Spike; 3-Buffy, Anya, Harmony

Kinky dinky:

Spike refers to Illyria as a 'filthy harlot'. Connor fancies her, once again a thing for older women, a teenage boy's lust so powerful even magic can't change it. Illyria wants to keep Spike as her pet.

Captain Subtext;

Marcus tells Angel he and Angel won't be having sex on the couch 'anytime soon'. But doesn't rule it out entirely? Angel's 'Do I look 500?' joke perhaps a comment on immortal Angel looking noticeably older. Check out the little look Illyria gives Harmony as she walks out of Wes' office. Hmmmm? Connor wonders if Sajhan wants to kiss him?

Know the face, different character; 7

Parking garages;

10,

Buffy characters on Angel; 17

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil, Andrew.

What the fanficcers thought; .

A few nice fics regarding what would happen is Connor and Dawn hitched up. What would the children of the son of 2 vampires and The Key be like?

Questions and observations;

Never liked Connor but much like Riley in 'As You Were' he's much easier to accept in small doses. Anne Rice bashed. Good! Was it Cyrus Vail that made Sajhan incorporeal? What courage Gunn shows although you'd have liked to have heard what Marcus was going to offer him? You forget that Sajhan never met adult Connor so has no idea who he is. Does everyone now remember about Connor or just Illyria, Connor and Wes?

Marks out of 10; 8/10 here begins the rehabilitation of Connor for me frankly

• Return of the kid from hell!

Origin is a fantastic episode that brings Connor back into the picture, introduced Cyvus Vail and has some good Illyria moments as well.

This is the first episode ever where I haven't hated Connor. Usually whenever he's on screen I want to murder him viciously but here he was kinda good, a bit geeky but much much less annoying than the uber sulk he was last season. He made some great comments and his interactions with Illyria were particularly funny. I liked his relationship with his parents and also the fact that even after he knew the truth, he didn't turn into the Connor we all know and hate.

Introducing Cyvus Vail earlier in the season rather than just have him show up in the last episode was a good idea. He isn't the most amazing villain or anything but he works well and is acted well, so I'm glad they brought him in here. He had a good costume as well.

Sahjhan being back was NO NO NO. If you've read any of my S3 reviews, you'll know I hate Sahjhan with a passion- he's annoying, unfrightening and horrifyinly acted, so I was not happy to see him. It was a good way to bring Connor back but really I could have done without it. Jack Conley was as awful as ever and I was ecstatic when Connor chopped his head off- it's been a long time coming in my opinion!

The Illyria scenes were interesting- I loved her interaction with Spike and her asking to keep him as a pet. She's unintentionally funny and amazingly acted by Amy Acker, who can do no wrong on this show. She was brilliant as Fred and she's now incredible as Illyria, portraying her with cold indifference and slight madness.

Wesley smashing the mystical box and restoring everyone's memories was good. While I disagreed with him for doing it, I can see he was clutching at straws, hoping it would bring Fred back. It was quite sad to watch. I loved the little montage of scenes- it was a nice reminder of what has happened and how far we have come. It was enjoyable seeing past clips.

Origin is an excellent episode that is the beginning of the end. It had a great story and isn't to be missed.
  • Connor arrives with his parents to Wolfram & Hart, asking for some help because He has some powers. Angel feels tenderness, and gets angry with the Powers, and tries to deffend his son's life.

7.9
    This is a very fun episode. The characters are growing in this episode, since the appearance of Connor, that goes with this addopting fathers to the office asking for help because they are afraid of Connor's powers. He thinks He has some powers, and Angel tries to help him, and this way, spend some time with him. Irylia becomes very difficult to entertain, a godess in the power of Angel. I don't know why she is staying at Wolfram & Hart such powerful as she is. I think this is a way of making the story larger. I repeat: entertained.
  • Origin

Origin was a perfect episode of Angel because it had a lot of great scenes, character development, and a great story. I enjoyed watching this episode as Illyria does some physical testing with Spike who gets whooped a few times. I thought the characters in this episode new and familiar were great. I found it interesting to learn more about Angel's deal with Wolfram and Hart through the Demon Sorceror now controling Connor's life. I am glad that the season addressed this part of the prophecy and tied up this story line. It was nice to see Connor actually understand and take his rightful place with his makeshift family. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!
  • 'I'm like a superhero, or something!'

Connor's Peter Parker realisation that he has super powers is a real punch the air moment, and it's the first time where I actually really like Connor ask a character. He gets to be funny, witty and everything emo-Connor wasn't. Then again, Connor 2.0 has no recollection of growing up in a demon dimension, so he'e understandably less angst-y.

Vincent is on a top form and you can tell he's enjoying playing an entirely different version of Connor. His blunt, yet mumbly, attack on Vahl was brilliant: 'You come near my family again and I'll slit your throat and if that doesn't kill you I'll chop your whole head off, and if that doesn't work I'll... I'll just keep stabbing you till you bleed to death.' There's plenty of light-hearted humour peppered throughout the episode to counterbalance Wesley's mourning/Gunn's gory torture scenes. Joss Whedon writes Illryia so well, but he really offers up some classics in this hour: Amy's deadpan response to Connor ('this one is lusting after me') had me in fits of laughter, it was priceless, not to mention the idea of her keeping spike as her pet. So delightfully zany! We also get to see Sahjahn one last time, and he's a total hoot ('…not exactly a day at the spa'), this episode was a laughing riot.

Of course, it's not all clip-board flinging, Spike bashing fun. Wesley's attempts at figuring out what Angel is up to leads to a fantastic confrontation scene. David gives an amazing performance begging Wesley not to undo what has already been done, but it's not enough. What I liked most about this scene is Illryia fending off Angel as Wesley's right-arm, she's such a fascinating character and it's a pity the show didn't have enough time to dig deeper. The montage sequence really hit home that this series is coming to an end, and it kind of reminded me of Buffy's 'The Gift' opening montage.

This is an action packed episode through and through. It's a perfect episode to bid adieu to yet another Pivotal Angel character, and that last scene was so well played by Vincent and David, respectively. Connor knows! And he's not emo. Hurray!
  • Connor's back.

There are several reasons why I enjoyed watching this episode. While I may not have been the biggest fan of Connor during his first stay on this show, I was glad to see an old face back even though he was a big pain the you-know-where. The main thing I loved about the episode was the fact that the truth finally came out; I didn't like knowing that Angel had altered the memories of his friends. Sure, it was for the best, but still.

The fight with the ugly demon was okay, nothing too special, but there were so many thing that happened during that made it interesting. I love the fact that Connor, now with his memory restored, found it in himself to forget about all the anger for Angel, and decided to go take care of his fake family. Finally it seems as if he has grown up. It was weird after the fight when Connor was acting as if he didn't get his memories back, and I kept wondering if he will, which he did.

Another reason why I liked the episode was the remaining cast. For some reason, I love Illyria and I can't wait to see what's up with her next. I also love the fact that Wesley remembers betraying Angel; and I'm glad Gunn is still in his private hell suffering the consequences of his actions. All in all, it was quite an entertaining episode.
  • The Return of Kid Angel...uhh...Wonder Boy...Okay, Connor's Back!

Origin-Angel resists the appeal of parents seeking help from Wolfram & Hart regarding their son's supernatural abilities after he discovers that the boy is his son, Connor. Despite his reservations, Angel is forced to bring Connor into conflict with an old adversary (Sahjahn) to prevent his son's memories from being restored. Meanwhile Wesley uncovers a mysterious deal struck by Wolfram & Hart that threatens the secret Angel desperately wants to protect.

As the series draws closer to it's end, the writers really spend most of the time rapping up some open storylines. Of course, the Angel/Connor storyline has never been rapped up! Okay, so Angel gave him the perfect family and life, but there was never officially common ground between the father and son. Well, Connor's return turns out to be a truly refreshing episode as Angel has no choice but to confront the son he gave up...again! Boy, is this the Connor we never knew! Vincent Kartheiser's performance is a bright and beautiful change from Connor's brooding, overbearing and annoying personality from 2 seasons before. I'm glad the writers' alternate Connor is just a normal boy next door type of guy, but why couldn't he have been last year? It shows that Vincent is a much capable actor when his not complaining all the time and pouting over older women! It's a welcomed changed to see Connor so laid back, having fun, and making jokes. I loved Angel and Connor's interaction throughout especially with the cast. I mean his meeting with Illyria was priceless:

Connor: "That's a really nice outfit...really..."
    Illyria: "This one...his body warms. His lusting for me."
    Connor: "No! It's the outfit...I kinda have a thing for older women."
    Angel: "They were suppose to fix that."
    Connor: "What?"
    Angel: "Nothing."

I also loved the demon, Cyvus Vail. He makes for a menacing villain and how he threatenes Angel with his son's memories is perfect. It was also great to see Wesley and Illyria working together to piece together memories they've lost by confronting Angel. Also, Sahjan makes a return to fight Connor and the guy is still a piece of work. Well at least he was always better than Holtz, hah! The fight scene between them was great and the end of Sahjan is very quick. I mean he was trapped in that thing for 2 years, he could have stayed around a bit, but Connor did own him which was cool! But what makes the episode great is how close Angel and Connor got. Even though your not sure if Connor remembers everything as he says his goodbyes to Angel, you can sense that Connor trusts Angel more than he ever did and respects him for what his done for him. Also his, "that's what my father use to say" gives hope that these 2 ARE finally on common ground. All and All, "Origin" is another home run of superb episodes this latter half in the final year of Angel.
  • Connor returns

I was wondering if they were going to have Connor return, considering technicly Angel was now the only person who remembered him (and for some reason Ever). And I am so glad they did! After everything that happened to Connor in season 3 and how tortured he was in season 4 it was good to see him somewhat normal, having remembered a different happier life. The kind he deserved. Connor's return is directly related to Sahjahn, the demon he is destined to kill. The creator of his memories, Veil, organizes the whole thing to get Sahjahn out of the picture.

In a seperate story line that ties directly into Connor's return Wesley, still in mourning for Fred, discovers that Angel struck a deal with Wolfram & Hart the day they took the over to run the place. This episode is kind of a nod to the Wesley of old, the guy who makes the hard decisions even if he has to make them alone or at the cost of those arond him, being that he thinks Angel did something wrong in this deal that may have cost them Fred though part of that is from grief. When Wesley takes action and earns all his painful memories back Connor seems to get something back as well, killing Sahjahn in one move. Though it isn't clear just how much he got back. This is another episode where everything is tied in and melded together very well.
  • Connor pays a visit

Very good ep. You can tell by this point (or earlier actually) that Joss is tying up loose ends. The loose end we re-visit in this ep is Connor. Seems his parents are concerned because he got hit by a van and it didn't even faze him. Angel comes face to face with his son and is at a loss. He sends them away and says W&H cant help them. Wes grows very suspicious of Angels actions (rightly so) and starts going through documents in file storage. Angel ends up helping Connor and the task at hand is for him to fight and kill Sahjhan (who could forget him?) Seems Cyvus Vail is the one who created Connors new memories and erased everyone elses and he needs Sahjhan dead. He threatens to break a mysterious box (window of Orlon) and give Connor back the old memories if Angel doesnt get Connor to kill Sahjhan. Angel reluctantly agrees to let Connor fight him.
    Meanwhile, Wes (along with Illyria)finds a document signed by Angel the day they took over W&H that confirms his suspicions and he is ready to confront Angel. Connor is in the middle of a fight with Sahjhan and it it going badly, while Angel watches outside. Suddenly Angel turns and notices Cyvus isnt moving and no longer has the box in his hand. Wes is there with Illyria and he has the box. He asks Angel if he traded Fred to save his son. Angel denies this but Wes cannot trust him anymore. He shatters the box and all of the memories come back. I must give Alexis Denisof props because the look on his face when he realizes what his true memories were was heartbreaking. Angel turns to see how this has affected Connor. Connor promptly gets his evil sneer back that I have missed so much and kills Sahjhan. I would have thought Connor would revert completely back to who he was, but he is very well adjusted. He says goodbye to Angel but also says "You have to do what you can to protect your family. My father taught me that."
  • connor is back!

wow. season 5 did have quality after all!
    after so many bad episodes i thought the season would end up as bad as it started. but no. then it goes around and makes an episode like this!

it was not perfect and connor was to...geeky for me. but he was still cool. especially the last 25 minutes of this episode were amazing! when wesley gets his memory back and connor does too who kills sajan! good boy!
    the end was wonderful1 connor did as if he did not know but he did and his last words were beautiful!
    a very good episode and i wish cordelia was there to see connor
  • Simply brilliant! Season 5 just keeps improving. Spoiler warning.

Everything about this episode is brilliant. The acting, the writing & everything else is all five stars. We see the return of Connor with his new family. He doesn’t know of his past, but has just discovered his true powers. His family is scared because he didn't even get hurt after a car hit him. When Angel sees that Connor & his new family have arrived he wants nothing to do with them. Eventually the memory of everyone is restored because of Wesley betraying Angel once again. Connor goes back to live with his fake family. Gunn had an opportunity to escape hell, but at a price. He declined the offer. Overall this is a pretty special episode. Must see for sure.
  • [b]CONNOR[/b]: My parents are liars and I can never trust them, but it's cool. :D

In light of Angel's conversation with Connor in "Not Fade Away," it's all so obvious.

Most viewers took it for granted that Connor's memories returned when the Window of Orlon was smashed. I was misled, but in retrospect, Joss played very fair.

Never mind Angel's exchange with Connor in "Not Fade Away." It's spelled out perfectly (for the less gullible) in "Origin."

[b]Connor:[/b] "You've got to do what you can to protect your family. I learned that from my father."

So who was Connor kidding?

Well, let's start with who //Joss// was kidding.

I've been asked how on earth I couldn't have known instantly that Connor's memories had been restored. After all, the fight went co-incidentally in his favor when Wes smashed the Window. Why was I so resistant to the obvious?

Vail had created a beautiful set of memories for Connor. Memories of love, hope and promises fulfilled. Like Angel, I was heartbroken at the idea that all of these memories were stolen from this boy, who was suddenly dear to me. Connor, at the end of S4x22 - HOME, was sweet and loving and genuinely happy. He hadn't been stolen from a loving father. He hadn't been tied to what passes in the Qor'Toth for a tree for five days by the only father figure he had and loosed himself to track him (a truly macabre version of hide-and-seek). His mind had not been systematically poisoned against the vampire who loved him, whose soul cried out to save him, who never gave up hope until it had shagged the only mother figure it had ever known, tried to murder its own father several times, run a fist through its own child's face and strung up a dozen innocents in a psychotic sacrifice of fear, who Angel had had to all but destroy.

And, finally, if we are the sum of our memories, did.

It's not until after this episode that Angel realizes what Illyria is doing is testing CYNTHIA!, not the other way around, and his mind could not have misplaced the memories of sparring with Connor as Connor learned his moves and readied himself to destroy Angel in S3x22 - TOMORROW.

If Angel resisted with every fiber of his being Connor's memories being restored, Wes could hardly do it fast enough.

I hadn't gotten that Vail hadn't teleported the Window into Wesley's hand -- that that was probably one of Illyria's time-stand-still things. But regardless of how it got to Wes, Vail could've called it back. Vail knew what memories he'd created for Wes and maybe he was less satisfied with the hours upon pleasurable hours of Jenga he'd sketched in for Wes (an aside from S5x13 - WHY WE FIGHT), so maybe his creative sensibilities weren't so offended if only Wesley's memories were in danger of flooding back.

That's part of what I forgot. The memories are restored. They are not replaced outright. As Connor explains in the series finale, the dark memories resurfaced. They did not entirely overpower. He had access to his fighting abilities.

He also remained, essentially, Connor. Connor was always stridently forthright. That wasn't always attractive for those of us who'd seen all three seasons up until his appearance in S3x20 - A NEW WORLD. But he was always fiercely loyal, even if it was a loyalty we as viewers might not have shared, even if we saw the manipulation involved, even when it made the character thoroughly unappealing.

He was Connor. He was always Connor.

A word about loyalty. Watching this series as an adopted person, I recognize Angel's difficulty in giving up a son he'd known for maybe a good part of a year, under drastically diverse circumstances. He'd gotten to share his life only so very briefly, and he recognized what that life entailed.

When W&H offered to save him, to set aside the darkness, anger and frustration inherent in the life Angel could offer him, to provide him with a loving family with loving parents, Angel took the offer.

Parents cannot bear their children to suffer, and from the life he'd won in S2x09 - THE TRIAL -- which is the only good explanation we've ever received for Connor's mystical parentage -- Angel recognized the suffering his child would face if he stayed. He recognized it as a magical gift to the world that he could only manage to save from itself -- and not completely.

Connor had a terrible lot in life. By giving him up -- completely -- Angel could improve it, make it better. Looking in from the outside at the life Connor could enjoy without him, Angel was secure in his determination that this was the best choice.

Was it?

Was it .. for everyone?

Part of the deal, struck during that wash to white in S4x22 - HOME -- entailed the attachment of Lorne, Wes, Fred and Gunn to W&H. And at the end of their tours, they were all convinced W&H was a good move. At the beginning of S5x01 - CONVICTION, Fred outlined how quickly they'd all decided.

But all of them had gotten into that limo. All of them were open to the possibilities W&H was showing them. All of them felt, at some point, that they were making a good decision.

The day Wesley couldn't remember so terribly well. And which he could no longer trust. Angel gave him sort of a pep-talk at the beginning of this episode, telling him to regain his own life in the wake of losing Fred.

Now, tracking down the articles of incorporation signed in Angel's blood, he couldn't be so sure that Angel wasn't the one responsible for her loss.

Vail's got some powerful mojo. Even an ancient demon-god-thing couldn't suss out the overwritten memories. If Illyria had been able to fix a cold, ice blue eye on Fred's true past, he could've set Wesley's mind a little easier.

As it was, Wesley smashed that Window out of grief. And in no small measure, to perhaps restore Fred in some measure to the intractible artifact walking around in her skin. His was an act of aggression which led to an overload of regression.

He couldn't bear it. He knows at the end that his memories were not created so he could forget his past, but to endure it.

Alexis Denisof has some amazing scenes coming up.

That Window has some far-reaching effects. With its destruction, Lorne's memories of Connor seem to have been restored, as are those of Fred, who is no longer, as are Gunn's, who is located in another dimension entirely. An aside, but one wishes he'd given Hamilton a little longer to outline exactly what it was the Senior Partners wanted from him in exchange for his freedom, but it was clearly enough to send the newly minted Liaison to the Senior Partners into the suburban dungeon to make the offer in the first place.

That was simply an illustration of Gunn's willingness to pursue his penance regardless of cost. Noble, really.

It shouldn't have surprised me that Connor's memories were restored. He was only on the other side of a barrier, however mystical.

I just ... wish he could just have continued to be the completely loving, perfectly self-possessed spark of light he'd become. Artifice though it may well be, he'd earned a lifetime of good karma, and the happy denial he navigated was much happier and far less morally ambiguous than the life he'd finally been given some reprieve from.

Can't deny it was fun seeing Sahjahn again. Can't deny it was fun meeting Cyvus Vail. Really enjoyed Connor in this episode. A Stanford student, a mostly not-violent, incredibly sweet-natured boy with a plucky indestructibility.

Vail had given him what Angel could not -- his innocence.

And it survived, on some level.

"He can't show me anything I haven't already seen."

Connor's restored memories allowed him to save his own life and fulfill his destiny.

A clue I'd been hanging onto by the molecules at the tips of my fingernails was Connor's ability to fight in the parking lot at the hotel. His body remembered how to fight, I reasoned, even if he himself could not.

He was fighting to save his family.

He fought less well to save himself, to fulfill a prophecy he'd only just learned of -- one which nicely wrapped up a storyline left over from S3x17 - FORGIVING, in which Sahjahn reveals the grand plan behind his manipulations of Holtz et al. as having been his own, rewriting ancient prophecies so they'd have a happier ending (for him) but which doesn't change the thrust of a prophecy (although you can't believe everything you're foretold).

[b]Sahjahn:[/b] You're making a pretty good case for free will.

Exploring that: In "B-S1x12 - PROPHECY GIRL," Buffy brings about the fulfillment of her confrontation with the Master by choosing to go to him.

Sahjahn could've ignored the prophecy and remained incorporeal forever. He could've spent Connor's entire lifetime living it up comfortably in the 1800s. By pushing events, by being proactive, Sahjahn becomes corporeal -- and therefore, mortal -- and then trapped until confront the man predestined to destroy him.

But rather than this simple, straightforward destiny, Connor gained the totality of his experience. And with his much more positive self-image, it strengthened him.

Wesley regained the totality of his own experience. And it devastated him.

Angel has an exchange with Wes, in S5x07 - LINEAGE, in which he commends Wes for making the tough calls, the decisions no one else can make -- a truth he'd never completely grasped before. Wes is unable to fathom the full meaning of that statement, but it is, in fact, Angel's apology for trying to murder him in S3x17 - FORGIVING.

There's so much good in this episode, but the question remains -- in Connor's cryptic conversation with Angel, who is Joss trying to kid?

He's trying to kid //Angel//.

My own gullibility was incidental. But in order for Connor to live up to the complete sacrifice he's only just beginning to comprehend Angel has made on his behalf, he needs to protect Angel from the truth of his own reality.

Axe still dripping with Sahjahn's essence, Connor clumsily admits to having gone a little hardcore, that he'd gotten "really cranky," that he doesn't know where his burst of amazing fighting abilities came from.

In Angel's office, he's a lot smoother. His objective, to protect his family. And he knows to what depths that includes Angel.

And he can't let him know, because Angel has lost too much for Connor to be the same person who nearly destroyed dozens lives, including that of the woman they both loved.

Angel's lost too much for him to come right out with it.

And the inevitable is put off for another time.

Far too much good to talk about with this one. Great, great eppy.
  • Let\'s give a warm welcome to some old \'friends\'....

so... one word throws angel's world upside down. "dad?"

connor appears from the wr&h elevator and calls to his father. angel stands aghast, stuttering and trying to make sense of it. until connor walks past him, oblivious to the effect he just had... angel turns and sees connor join his new family... who are at wr&h because they've finally noticed that connor is kinda different...
    angel can't bear to take on the case, shuns them and they leave.. however, we all know angel wouldn't just let it go, and he obviously follows them. good job too, cos they get attacked by some funny looking fellas on the way home.
    cue connor visiting angel to find out why he has these superpowers. angel finds himself back as 'mr dad'.
    unfortunately, the odd folk who attacked connor and his 'rents were demons sent by an evil old warlock called cyvus vail. he wants connor. but first he reveals he made connor... (well the new fake connor anyway)
    he threatens to break the spell and show connor who he truly is, unless angel can get connor to fulfil a prphecy that he is the only one who can kill the demon who is a threat to vail... yes, it's sahjahn!!!!! this is the whole reason sahjahn changed the prophecies in a bid to rid the world of connor. everything becomes oh so clear... well done joss, for tying in a series 3 storyline to a series 5 one!
    connor agrees to kill sahjahn and goes to vail's crib to do so with angel. however, this is connor's fight, and angel can do nothing but watch as sahjahn batters his son, who still doesn't know the extent of what he is.
    then, wesley shows up, after finding out vail cast a spell on the world on the day they took over wr&h and angel was the one who signed for it.... wesley, still desperate with greif for fred, wants to know if it'll bring back his lost love, if the spell is broken. angel pleads with him not to break the "window" (which is actually a cute little candleholder box) terrified connor will reject him yet again, after his shortlived happiness with him, albeit only as a kind of mentor.
    wes being wes, doubting thomas that he is, smashes the window. everything comes back to him. everything comes back to connor. even illyria gets a fresh set of fred memories...
    all is not lost however. connor remembers who he was. The Destroyer. with one fell swoop, off comes sahjahn's head.
    connor has fulfilled the prophecy.
    and decides he liked being normal. he doesn't mention anything about his memory to angel, but does give him the biggest of hints... "you do whatever it takes to protect your family.i learnt that from my father"
    angel finally has the acceptance he so desperately craved from his son. connor understands.
    meanwhile, wes sinks further into his depression, remembering his first betrayal of angel, and all subsequent things...

well, all in all, a fantastic episode. like i said, they've tied in a series 3 story arc to this episode, and they've made connor likeable. the interchanges between spike and illyria are great and angel gets a resolve. it also introduces vail, who plays a key part in the episodes to come.
    this is what they made angel to be, and shows exactly why the network was such fools to cancel it...
  • The One with Connor, the Red Guy and the Ancient Prophecy

Drew Goddard continues to amaze with this astounding, heart breaking tale where secrets are revealed, battles are won and new identities are uncovered.

The brilliant Vincent Kartheiser glides back into "Angel" and is perfect as the brilliant all-American family son with no idea of his violent past. The first scene where Connor appears is astounding and acted excellently by David Boreanaz.

His subsequent scenes are also excellent as Angel tries to get Connor and his new family as far away from him as possible. The scenes with Kartheiser and Boreanaz together shine with energy as both actors sit easily in their new roles as a world-weary son and a fatherly lawyer.

The rest of the episode is superb in dialogue and scenes. Each cast member gets their time in the limelight, the first shot of Gunn has him lying on a basement table, his heart freshly cut out and thrown into a bloody pile of them next to the wall. Wesley is still pouring with anger over Fred's death and the moment he confronts Angel about his deal with Wolfram & Hart at the end of last season, he gently hopes that the undoing of the deal will bring back his dead lover. Illyria and Spike's one-on-one fight matches are also superb and Illyria proclaiming that she wants Spike "as her pet" is brilliantly timed and adds some first class comedy in what essentially is a heartbreaking episode.

The final scene shows that Connor now remembers his past and acknowledges Angel as his real father yet wants to live the rest of his life as a normal college student with a normal family.

All-in-all, this is a brilliant episode of Angel which perfectly balances action, sadness and comedy in just the right doses. Cyvus Vail is also an excellent villain and is much more than likely to crop up again in the next few final episodes.