Angel

Parting Gifts

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 14, 1999 on The WB

• 'I thought our kiss meant something. And instead, he used that moment to pass it on to me. Why couldn't it have been mono or herpes?'

‘Parting Gifts’ isn’t exactly the way I wanted this show to continue. Doyle dead for good and replaced by a character I usually wanted to hit on the face on Buffy. But actually, the episode was pretty good and was a decent introduction to Wes and a decent moving on from Doyle.

It begins with Angel talking to the Oracles and asking them to bring back Doyle. They tell him that his friend is dead and that for every door that closes, another opens. The door that opens is for Cordy who has a vision during a commercial which was hilarious and by far the best scene of the episode. So Cordy is now pissed off at Doyle because she sees it as a curse and begins to kiss people around in the office hoping that her visions will transfer into them.

Meanwhile this demon called Barney is fleeing from someone who is after him. He goes to Angel for help. Angel goes to kill his hunter which turns out to be Wesley who has become a rogue demon hunter in leather. Wesley has improved as a character, he’s more funny and less annoying. I enjoyed him in his leather pants scratching his crotch which was hilarious.

Anyway, there is a demon on the lose that Wesley has been hunting because he thinks it’s a bad demon but it turns out that Barney was hunting it and Barney is the bad demon and he cut off the horn of the other one and killed it. Now he wants Cordy because she has the visions and he’s going to sale her.

Angel and Wesley go to save Cordy and they find out where she is after Cordy drew what she saw in a vision. They safe her and Cordy kills Barney with a horn that sucks out his life force.

The episode wasn’t that special but the good humor and way to move on from Doyle worked surprisingly.
    Cordy kissed Angel and Barney and later also Wes who enjoyed the kiss much more than their first one.
    I wasn’t so fascinated by Barney though and enjoyed watching him die.
    Wesley ends up having breakfast with the gang because he doesn’t really have a place to go now that he doesn’t have a job.
    The episode worked even with all those circumstances,.