Angel

Players

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 26, 2003 on The WB

• A relief from the high intensity arc

PLAYERS

The Good;

I like this ep, nice to see that Gunn isn't just 'The Muscle', he's suave as well as tough. The best Gunn-centric ep and you could see J. August as James Bond. Love Gunn's little look when Wes goes 'Well the last time this happened..."

The Bad;

Quite humdrum in places, actually drags a bit

Best line;

Gunn describes the last few months of AI as a 'Turgid supernatural soap-opera'.

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; the little girl isn't in danger, Gwen has screwed Gunn over

In disguise; 8

Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 12 demons+4 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Angel: 12

Wes; 7

Angel; 3

Gunn; 2

Packing heat; Wes with his shotgun again

Wes; 9

Angel; 3

Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Gunn and Gwen, Gunn presumably not only having sex with her but taking her virginity if he's the first person ever able to touch her?

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible, Justine

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Lorne refers to a female friend Wanda as a 'peach'. Gwen in her customary tight PVC outfits. Wes explains his tryst with Lilah to Fred, he was lost and cut off from those he loved as indeed was she.

Captain Subtext;

Gwen calls Fred a babe and honey, obvious tension between the 2.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

What the fanficcers thought;

Plenty of demon pregnancy fanfics, a subsection of fanfiction called GOT-fic, Monsters and Angels, Taboo Comics, beautiful women being ravished and impregnated or sometimes consumed ('Vore') by monsters, aliens, mutated plants etc (think Princess Leia and Jabba the Hutt, The Evil Dead or Alien vs Predator; Requiem). Also of course Willow having sex with snake demon in the comics. Plenty of fic out there where Gwen joins AI or if the original gang is destroyed helping the new champion form their team or she (and the Groo) show up to save everyone from everything

Questions and observations;

Only a few weeks after becoming a dad Angel is now faced with becoming a grandfather! 'Dramarama' is referred to, an old supernatural British kids TV series which Joss Whedon may have seen growing up in the UK. 'Clash of the Titans' also referred to. Angel and Wes refer to 'The last time' CC got supernaturally knocked up both in Expecting and Epiphany. 8 million people in LA, didn't think it was that big. Not only did Angelus not kill Lilah he never actually killed anyone but a vamp? Andy Hallet in the titles, hooray! The last time we'll see Gwen whom was obviously supposed to be a possible regular but they went another way. A pity but at least we see her in the comics. For my money after this ep I figure she goes to see her parents and catches up on a lifetime's worth of hugs. Gunn's love of suits foretells season 5. We see Angel's photgraphic memory again. CC refers to the Fortress of Solitude, Xander's influence again. At what point does Angel twig CC's betrayal?

Marks out of 10; 7/10 a lightweight ep but probably what we need after all the power of the last few eps

• Four words: Gunn in a suit

The gang is still trying to wrap their lobes around a very pregnant Cordy. Connor tries to simplify it saying it is their child, end of story. Our heroes know better and get into research mode PDQ. And then...in walks Gwen. Seems she needs help retrieving a kidnapped girl and she needs someone suave and she picks Gunn! He is more than ready to get out of hotel hell and agrees. Cordy continues to manipulate Connor to her side and further away from Angel and co. She also tries to make sure the gang doesnt find out anything about her pregnancy or the beasts boss. Gunn and Gwen manage to get what they went after, only it wasnt a little girl. It was a device that can de-electrify Gwen. Gunn helps her try it on for size and they enjoy some kisses (Go Gunn!) At the hotel Lorne shows up with good news, he can get his path reading mojo back and will be able to read Cordy after he does. He goes to an abandoned building and sets up. Cordy is in the shadows, stalking him with a knife. She is just about to draw the knife when the lights come on and Angel is right behind her. The gig is up!
    She makes to run but Fred and Wes are armed. She is outnumbered until Connor bursts in and takes everyone down in one fell swoop. Cordy walks out holding hands and grinning evilly. This isnt going to be good.
  • who's the evil one?

7.8
    a fairly dissapointing episode especially because this season is so brilliant.

gunn is really a boring character and even gwen was not able to make him look interesting. only thng i liked from that storyline is that gwen got some ship and got to be able to touch. did she sleep with gunn is my question but we sadly do not know.

the best thing was cordelia and angel beginning to suspect the big bad. now that everybody knows that she is pregnant they realise she is not well either. at the end she tries to kill lorne but then is caught by everybody being the big bad. decent episode with a killer end!
  • Players

Players was a perfect episode of Angel and fun to watch. I really enjoyed this episode because Gwen is back for Gunn's help and they have an adventure with a few unforseen twists. Meanwhile the rest of the gang were trying to figure out what Cordelia's baby may turn out to be. Cordelia continues to spin her web around Connor, and plays with Angel while analyzing the Beast's Master. I thought the ending of the two different story lines was awesome. Gunn and Gwen get close, he wasn't letting any thing get in the way of that. Angel and the gang use Lorne as bait to flush out Cordelia. I can't wait to watch the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Gunn helps Gwen, the gang finds out Cordelia is pregnant. Starring: David Boreanaz, Charisma Carpenter, J. August Richards, Amy Acker, Vincent Kartheiser, Andy Hallett, and Alexis Denisof

While this was a really good episode, and the gang finally found out that Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) is pregnant. Holy crap! They try to find out who the demon is that impregnanted her, umm...Connor (Vincent Kartheiser), can anybody else smell the drama? An Angel (David Boreanaz), Cordy, and Connor, to combat Gunn (J. August Richards), Wes (Alexis Denisof), and Fred (Amy Acker). Perhaps my favorite part of the episode though, other than Lorne (Andy Hallett), whom i love, was the L.I.S.A. with Gunn and Gwen (guest star Alexa Davalos). I love Gwen, and i really hoped that she was going to stick around for more than just three episodes, but that's okay i guess.
  • Last appearance of Electro Gwen!

Players is a highly enjoyable filler episode in a season where this is very little filler episodes! Aside from a couple of Cordy scenes, the rest was all Gunn and Gwen goodness and was a great change of pace.

I really like Gwen and am sad that this is her last episode- she was an interesting and very cool character. She had some great one liners and Alexa Davalos is excellent at her. But at least she goes out in style! From the previous two Gwen episodes we see she is quite unhappy with her electrically charge body and this episode finishes off her small but fun arc. Plus, in this episode, we see Gwen lose control- for the first and only time. It's quite sad that she's prepared to electrocute people in order to be normal. For a girl who's been shunned and left by herself all her life, it must be her greatest ambition to be rid of her powers. I really liked the last scenes in her house as well- we see her more vulnerable side and she's one of the only people to praise Gunn on something other than his muscle. She recognizes that under his tough exterior, he's quite self conscious and feels overshadowed by his more intelligent friends. Gunn has a lot of street smarts and he needs to realise this can be just as valuable as knowledge of old languages or quantan phsyics, moreso in some cases.

Speaking of Gunn, this was one of the few Gunn centric episodes I enjoyed. The rest are too gang related for my tastes (e.g. That Old Gang Of Mine, which I hated) but here he was cool, suave and funny. Him and Gwen made a good pairing and they have good chemistry together. The rest of this episode dealt with the main arc but most of it was just sort of unnecessary (except the last scene). It showed Angel sort of going around trying to figure out who The Beast's master is and as we know it's Cordy, we're sort of waiting for him to find out. It was nice to watch Cordevila sweat for a change and not be all mastery and evil. The last scene is one of my favourite scenes of all time, with Lorne in the basement and Cordy preparing to kill him. It was so suspenseful and it looked like she was going to do it but then the lights came up. I loved the use of the Magic 8-Ball- it was very clever.

Players is a nice, fun filler episode that takes a break from the main and contains the last appearance of Gwen Raiden *sobs*
  • Eletrogirl and her Faithful Pimp

Players-After discovering that Cordelia is pregnant, the gang research what type of demon the offspring could be. Meanwhile, Gunn helps Gwen rescue a girl named Lisa from a posh house party, but realises that he has been tricked when L.I.S.A. turns out to be Gwen's latest stolen item.

Well, Big Momma has finally revealed her pregnancy to her firends, now they have to find out what she's carrying in that oven of hers. But more on that part later, Gunn finally gets a good amount of screentime and it's with none other than Electrol girl herself, Gwen. They both have some great chemistry and you can tell both actors were having fun working together. The scenes where they're at the banquet, all dressed up, were great as well as Gunn's first (I think?) solo fight scene to which he kicks a$$ by the way! It's a nice twist that Gwen double crossed him, but you could tell Gunn was havingfun either way. It's too bad though that the last scene of Gwen is her and Gunn making out. I mean she's forgotten after this episode and it's left like those 2 would be an item, oh well. Back to Evil Cordy, who continues to try and stop the gang from finding out she's the Big Bad. Connor, of course, is still Cordy's b!%ch and a whinning little baby throughout, anyway! But I have to say the best part of the episode is Cordelia following Lorne to a warehouse only for Angel and the gang to be there and see her attacking him to which Lorne replies with his cute little magic 8 ball:

Lorne: "Has Cordy been a bad, bad girl?"

to which the 8 ball reveals:

"Definately"

Such a great cliffhanger! All and All, a surprisingly good episode for a filler with good scenes and a priceless ending.
  • J. August Richards looks //damn// good in a suit. :D

* deep breath *

OK, here we go.

Gunn-centered episode. * heads out for a smoke *

//needle-scratch// HEY! Get back here!

Right, sorry. ;)

Let's start out with the Powers. Powers, anyone?

Powers: Oh, right, yes, another maragarita poolside, garçon!

* sigh * Jasmine Watch, anything?

Cordy: Nope, I'm good for another ... 40 minutes, thanks.

OK then.

In the aftermath of the Beast exploding in a big ball of sunshine and Angelus getting put back in his cage, everyone's given tasks in tracking down The Beastmaster. Everyone except Gunn. Well that's ... disappointing.

Enter Gwen. Hey, everyone, it's Gwen! You remember Gwen, of the Axis of Pythia bagjob and that one totem-type person. Y'know, Gwen -- of the modest, toned down and sensible wardrobe, Gwen the thief, Gwen the bringer of falsehoods and the teller of tales.

"I need your help rescuing a little girl." From what? The most complicated and gappiest cover story ever? You don't need Gunn. You can waltz in there, front door or back and just ...

Right, OK, so say she needs him to be a warm body -- emphasis on the warm. So what she was saying to him about him being way more than the muscle ... was that just small talk? That psychobabble she was spouting about how they kept him in his place. She seemed awfully surprised at what he brought to the mission. Heck, //I// was surprised at what Gunn brought to the mission. I've never seen him inhabit a persona before, the zoo board, the fabricated interaction with mama-san, the gift ...

NOTE TO SELF: Always carry around an oval gift box in case you suddenly have to make a presentation to papa-san.

And even here, his "aw shucks" attitude about what he'd accomplished was just ...

//needlescratch// Is this where it happens?

Gunn's been enduring a lot of this season -- as he describes it, an endless, turgid soap opera -- but his ties to CYNTHIA! have been strained. He's broken up with Fred, killed a guy, he's insecure after confronting Angelus in the face of Wesley's advances. He's unsure about what he's bringing to the mission, and maybe this is where he begins to hunger for specialness?

That "deep brown eyes" mojo just doesn't seem to be doing the trick for him the way it once did.

They make the scene and Gunn averts almost certain ... social awkwardness. They enter the party and some old broad with a cocktail starts burbling with the foreshadowing.

"That weird thing with the sun? I don't know about you, but I just think something wonderful is coming."

Oh, shut up you stupid lush. Californians put up with earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides and smog for two reasons: The sun and the weather. Absent those, it's just hell. Pull the sun and they're on the next bus out.

"Something wonderful" I disagree. Given the average Angelino's grasp of theology, I'm guessing the sun blocked from the sky would be taken as a sign of the apocalypse (although in actuality the sun goes blood red in the last days -- oddly prescient of John of Patmos given the grasp of astronomy at the time, in that the sun is predicted to go red giant and swallow everything out to Mars, which is going to be a very dramatic moment indeed but quite without any time to respond so, y'know. //fizzle//)

So the apocalypse is coming? NO! "Something wonderful." Go drown an olive, lady. By the thumbing of my prick "something wonderful is coming" indeed. Something just truly ... wonderful.

JASMINE WATCH: * giggle *

* sigh * Leaving her for a moment, if I may, Gwen lies to Gunn and tells her a little girl is in danger, and Gunn grabs her. And in her own house he manages to mantain the upperhand, but Gwen, darling, let's talk about that distraction.

Tipping a heavy table over "accidentally"? You are as graceful a presence as Inara. Did you choose such a terrible distraction because you knew no one could possibly believe it?

I mean, hon, really, your power over all things electrical, your inherent sense of theatricality, and ... darling, um, have you //looked// at yourself lately? The range of distracting things you could do would induce naughty catatonia on this board for //days//.

So instead of just breaching the perimeter and stealing the thingie, Gwen involves herself with Gunn, who's looking mighty sharp in that suit. He ought to get sired, ensouled and walk around in that suit for the rest of his undeath. :)

And Gwen has lived her life ... untouched. And Gunn is there, at the end of an adventure, with much adrenaline and threatening of life ...

No, you're right. How drab. Instead, let's pan to Lorne and a silly made-up ritual. We're finally going to reveal that Cordelia's evil!

Duh. :P

Anyway, good installment, lots to think about, more than a little jarring given everything else that's been going to //crap// this season.

Oh well ...

Plenty of good here to tide us over into the //really// bizarro writing, what?
  • Man, this season is really that good. Also Gunn's episodes are very underrated, this is one of his best. Gwen is back and wants to steal something so that she can be a little less freak-y. Too bad she comes never back, also the gang finally finds out abou

Players

This was a great episode but still one of the less spectaculars of the season. Gwen wants to be able to live as a normal person and asks Gunn to help her out and they wind up doing it at the end. The interesting part of the episode was Cordy, the gang finally discoverers her when she tries to kill Lorne. It was really fun to see her trying not to be discovered.

Cut to everyone freaking out about Cordy because she is pregnant and Angel is sad and she didn’t tell because she was afraid. Then comes Lorne and he doesn't understand he saw it. They think it's weird that it's already so big and they say it's their baby and Connor says it's scary and he's proud and leaves. Its something weird in her and she says that they will all see what it is soon.

the credits start

Cut to a guy acting all suspicious when Gwen arrives and asks for her stuff. She is doing something and needs his help so they change of stuff and she begins to flirt with him. But then a lightning bolt hits her and he runs away and leaves her on the ground. Cut to the hotel and they don't think that the baby is a great thing. Angel comes out and he talks to them and he says that he was thinking about what happened and he tells Wes that Lilah wasn't killed by Angelus. He wants to find the beast master and they have to find anything. Then Gwen comes in and she wants help about a girl and asks Gunn to come. Cut to Connor and Cordy comes over him and he is freaking out and it's not about what the people said but about what she did and that it didn't make sense about killing Angelus and Willow opening a gate to hell. Cordy says that there is a reason to everything and that because of what he did made her trust him more. She manipulates him. She says that there is always a reason.

Cut to Gunn and Gwen and he doesn't get why she picked him. Gwen says that she has to save a girl and shows him a pic and he shows him pictures of the people. Gunn says he's happy to be good finally. Cut to them going to the place and they look smooth and enter the place but some detectors detect Gwen. The men want to take them out but Gunn doesn't want it to do it the hard way and he goes to some man and he wants to talk to him and makes up a story. Then he shows Gwen him and he gives him a gift and the man likes it and the man makes them come in. Cut to Fred and Wes and they talk about pregnancies. Wes says that things happen when people they want don't want them back they look at other places and Wes then tells about Lilah and Fred says he hated her but he didn't.

Cut to Gwen and Gunn again and she stole it back. Then they see the little girl and she tells him to check her up while Gwen goes to another place. Cut to Cordy going to Angel and he doesn't want to talk about the baby. He says that the master of the beast did everything. Angel says that he had it in his head and then begins to talk about the beast master and that it doesn't even has a plan. He says that someone would slip sooner or later. Cut to the party again and Gwen says that they are gonna kill her and Gwen is going a distraction and Gunn has to take the little girl out. Then Gwen says somebody is trying to hurt the little girl while Gunn takes her. But then he gets attacked from behind and fights all those men and takes them out. Gunn wants to take the girl home but she says she is home and that her father will kill him.

Gunn goes upset to Gwen who is stealing something. Gwen says that he was doing good and Lisa exist but it's a machine. Gwen says him to help. Cut to Wes and Fred going to Angel and he can't do more. Cordy comes over and she wants to make something fall on it but they can't find anything. Cut to Gunn and Gwen braking in and she opens it and takes the machine out and he doesn't want to split. Lorne walks in and he says he has an idea and that he is going a ritual alone and then he can read Cordy again and she smiles. Cut to the men and Gunn and Gwen and Gunn tells her to give it back but she can't and she electrocutes them all and kills them and then Gunn stops her. He noticed that she is stealing it for her. Cut to Lorne going to the attic and turns on a light and Cordy is there with a knife.

Cut to Gwen and Gunn in her place and that he saved her and that he is just a muscle and that if he was they wouldn't had gone in. She says that he has brains and says that he really thinks that he is he muscle. She said she loved being a freak tonight. He wants her to show him how that thing works. She goes on her bed and lies there and wants him to put the machine on her cause she burns. The thing goes in it and then disappears. When he touches her again it doesn't burn and she feels his touch and she likes it. She has never had sex and then she sits and is thankful. Then they kiss she backs off cause she isn’t sure if it can hold but he says she has already killed him once so they continue kissing. Cut to Lorne doing the spell and Cordy walks down and he sings but suddenly the light goes on and Angel is standing right behind her and Wes and Fred each have a gun. and Lorne asks if she has been a bad, bad girl 'definitely' it says.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Cordevila: I know it's a bit of a shock. I mean, nobody's more shocked than me. OK, maybe him.
    Fred: Um, sorry to be so... but I'm, like you said, kinda shocked.
    Gunn: Yeah, 'cause hasn't it only been like... Definitely shocked.
    Cordevila: I haven't been hiding, or ashamed, or anything... It's just with the Beast and his psycho master, and then Faith and Willow and all that dramarama, not to mention-
    Angel: Angelus.
    Cordevila: Everything's just been so Clash of the Titans around here. I didn't wanna be a distraction.
    Lorne: Wha...? Put me on the short bus, and send me off to clueless school. A mystical pregnancy right under my beak and not even a tingle. Huh.
    Wesley: How long have you known?
    Cordevila: Some time after we brought forth Angelus.
    Gunn: That's a couple of weeks. Looks more like eight months.
    Wesley: The last time Cordelia was impregnated, she came to term overnight.
    Cordevila: That was a crawly evil demon thing. This is different.
    Fred: Still, shouldn't we try and find out...what's in there?
    Connor: We already know. Our baby.
    Gunn: Well, congratulations. You're gonna have a grandspawn.
    Connor: You don't know what it's like. How scary it is. I'm gonna have a child, and all you can do is joke 'cause you don't like me. We shouldn't have told 'em.
    Fred: Cordelia...
    Cordevila: I know it's hard to understand. None of you have ever had a living being growing inside of you. And this- my sweet baby-we're connected. I feel what it feels. I can't explain it, but I sense its goodness, its love. You'll see. My baby will be here soon, and then you'll all see.

Angel: I don't skulk. I've been thinking...about the past few weeks and Angelus
    Fred: Angel, you can't feel guilty for anything Angelus did.
    Angel: I know. I knew the risks. We all did. And some of us paid a higher price than others. Angelus didn't kill Lilah. She was already dead, killed by the Beast.
    Fred: Well, that's...less terrible.
    Angel: There's no excuse for...what Angelus did to her, but... I'm sorry for your loss. We've got two pressing matters: figuring out what we can about Cordelia's pregnancy, and destroying the Beast's master.

Cordevila: I've been looking all over for you. Connor, what they said...you can't let it bother you.
    Connor: I don't care what they say.
    Cordevila: Really? Is that why you retreated to the Fortress of Solitude?
    Connor: It doesn't make sense.
    Cordevila: Freaking out over pregnancy's pretty much the M.O. with the gang around here.
    Connor: Not them. You. All that stuff you said about Angelus. And Willow...she-she didn't open a gate to evil. She put back Angel's soul. I almost killed him.
    Cordevila: But you didn't. Angel's back. Everything worked out. Everything happens for a reason, even if it doesn't always seem that way.
    Connor: How can you say that?
    Cordevila: Think about it. You sinking Angel to the bottom of the ocean. Getting kicked out of the house. Me not knowing who I was and coming to you for help. All of those moments and a million others led to this miracle.
    Connor: But sending me down to the basement. I had the stake. What was the reason for that?
    Cordevila: I thought our baby was in danger, and all my instincts told me that killing Angelus was the only way to protect it.
    Connor: But you were wrong.
    Cordevila: What's important is that when I needed help, you were there for me. Now I know I can trust you. Completely. No matter what. See? Everything happens for a reason. Connor, before our baby comes, I might ask you to do some things...for us. And I want you to remember, there's always a reason.
    Connor: I'll remember.

Fred: That's supposed to be a kid?
    Wesley: An infant Gatbar demon. The spikes grow to full size in the womb.
    Fred: Ouch. Gross factor aside, these pregnancies all seem to be run-of-the-mill demon lifecycle stuff. Nothing mystical about 'em.
    Wesley: They're just pictures, Fred.
    Fred: It's the pictures in my mind that are getting me. I can't stop thinking about Connor and Cordy...hiding up in that room...imagining what they do up there. It's like being stuck in a really bad movie with those Clockwork Orange clampy things on my eyeballs.
    Wesley: Why imagine? Reality's disturbing enough.
    Fred: Connor's Angel's son. How did he and Cordy get all... couply?
    Wesley: They were probably as surprised as anyone. But they were both lost, lonely...
    Fred: No matter how lonely I was, I would never-
    Wesley: Things happen, Fred. When you're alienated from the people who care about you, you start to look other places.
    Fred: Hm. Lilah.
    Wesley: We were fighting on opposite sides, but it was the same war.
    Fred: But you hated her...didn't you?
    Wesley: It's not always about holding hands.

Angel: Come on in, Cordelia.
    Cordevila: You know, that never stops creeping me out.
    Angel: Yeah? I'm kind of creeped out myself.
    Cordevila: Can we not do this right now?
    Angel: OK by me. I'm kinda in the middle of something anyway.
    Cordevila: Anything coming to mind?
    Angel: Not really.
    Cordevila: Nothing?
    Angel: Look, to be honest, I'm almost pining for the halcyon days of the Beast.
    Cordevila: Right, 'cause it's not like he slaughtered hundreds of people with his bare hands.
    Angel: The Beast was just a flunky.
    Cordevila: Who did his master's bidding.
    Angel: Killing Manny, stealing my soul, murdering Lilah...those were surgical strikes. Not the smash-and-trash style of the Beast.
    Cordevila: But if lava boy didn't do all that, who did?
    Angel: His master.
    Cordevila: I'm his master. I'm his all-powerful master, and I'm gonna break into a guarded room, steal your soul from a safe-not by ripping it open, but by using the combination-then I'm gonna hunt and kill Lilah right under this very roof. Sure. Evil geniuses live for that playing with fire stuff.
    Angel: You don't understand. This thing was in my head. I've heard him, and he's insane enough to pull those kinds of stunts.
    Cordevila: When you say "insane," you mean, like, diabolical?
    Angel: No, I mean like deluded and demented. He spoke to me in this cheezy, self-important voice. I bet he doesn't even have a master plan-he's just making it up as he goes along. Hey, don't worry. We'll figure it out. Come on, anybody as daredevily as this guy will slip up sooner or later. When he does, he's dead.

Gwen: It's you.
    Gunn: It was the scanners, wasn't it? Why you wanted me. Angel, no heartbeat.
    Gwen: Security scan of a dead guy might've raised a few eyebrows.
    Gunn: You know, for about five seconds, I thought you might actually care about something.
    Gwen: OK, so what if I didn't tell you about my plan? And so what if I set you up for a fall? When's the last time you had this much fun? I saw your face out there-you were having a great time.
    Gunn: It's 'cause I thought I was doing good.
    Gwen: You were. Just not the kind that involves saving a fairy princess from an evil king.
    Gunn: So Lisa doesn't exist?
    Gwen: Yes, she does. And I've liberated her from this steel tomb by now if you'd stop yapping for half a sec. It's a military acronym: Localized Ionic Sensory Activator. L-I-S-A.
    Gunn: A weapon? L.I.S.A.'s a weapon?
    Gwen: Not a weapon. A covert device worn by black ops. Regulates body temp, heartbeat, body chemistry. Morimoto's company designed it, and I've been hired to steal the beta test.
    Gunn: God bless America.
    Gwen: Actually China, or North Korea. Not really sure. Morimoto's selling it to the highest bidder.
    Gunn: And who are you stealing it for?
    Gwen: Look, there are two things that make me a good thief. I steal what I'm paid to steal, and I don't ask too many questions.
    Gunn: Well, good luck with that.
    Gwen: Nothing's changed, you know. Morimoto's still a bad guy. You're still a good one.
    Gunn: You know, I can't believe I actually took time out of the apocalypse for this.
    Gwen: Even the Pres. takes vacations. Besides, if they need you, they'll call. Come on. We started this together. Let's finish it the same way.
    Gunn: It's not the same.
    Gwen: You can keep the suit.

Gunn: Back where he belongs. I got to give you credit-you are stubborn.
    Gwen: I know what I want.
    Gunn: I get that. At least, I used to. Things aren't always so clear anymore.
    Gwen: You seemed pretty clear tonight.
    Gunn: Adrenaline rush-when I was trying to save that girl.
    Gwen: I meant when you were saving me.
    Gunn: Hey, I'm just the muscle.
    Gwen: Don't knock the muscle, buddy. Makes the girls go all knocky in the knees. But if that's all you were, we never could've gotten into that party tonight.
    Gunn: Oh, you would've gotten in. Of course, the damage would have been significantly higher.
    Gwen: Thanks to your brains-over-brawn approach.
    Gunn: Well, not so much brains as too many movies.
    Gwen: Man, they have done a number on you. You really believe this "I'm the muscle" crap.
    Gunn: This your version of a pep talk?
    Gwen: Could be. Need one?
    Gunn: Nah.
    Gwen: Good. It's not my area of expertise. So, why do you stay if that's all they see in you?
    Gunn: I'm a fighter. Born and raised. You love being a thief?
    Gwen: I'm a freak. Being a thief makes me a part of something- and not a part at the same time. Tonight? Yeah, I kinda loved it.
    Gunn: You know, for someone loving life, you seemed awfully willing to die for this.
    Gwen: What you saw tonight, that's as bad as it gets, but even at its best... That thing might let me be- well, not normal-but...hold hands, maybe. So, yeah, guess I was willing to die, or even- you wouldn't understand.
    Gunn: Sure I do. Brainy, remember? You want to show me how this thing works? How do you fire it up?
    Gwen: It's not an X-Box. Just put it on. Careful.
    Gunn: Ow.
    Gwen: Like I said... It's chilly. What's it doing?
    Gunn: You ever seen one of those body-snatcher movies? Feel any different?
    Gwen: Yeah. Not so much. Think it worked. It feels good.
    Gunn: So...if you couldn't touch, guess that means you've never-
    Gwen: Nope. Nope. Anyway, thanks for turning me...off.
    Gunn: Anytime. Thank you.
    Gwen: For what? The guards? The suit? The almost dying?
    Gunn: The most fun I've had... since...
    Gwen: You know, um...that device, um, it's a prototype. It might not hold.
    Gunn: Well, you've already killed me once. If it happens again, you know where my battery is.

Lorne: Has Cordy been a bad, bad girl?
    Magic 8 ball: "Definitely."

Story: 9