Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 16, 2001 on The WB

• Angel goes Punisher

REDEFINITION

The Good;

Angel goes Punisher, as extra-crispy Darla says "Who the hell was THAT?". Plus "We are the champions..."

The Bad;

Darla and Dru seem to spend an awful lot of time on fire, other vamps vaporise much quicker.

Best line:

Dru "Galloping, galloping still he'll come!"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

The ears gag, funny but hooooo....!

Apocalypses: 4

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 17

In disguise; 7

DB get's his shirt off; not topless but some vest action

Cordy's tattoo;3

Angel; 22 vamps, 31 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans,

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 1/2 a demon

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 5 vamps+ 2 demons.

Angel: 6

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed;

4;

Total number of Angel Investigations: 1 or 3 depending on which way you look at it?

4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast

Angel: 1;Buffy

Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:

Gunn says Angel is 'going Commando', does he mean the action film or without underwear? Dru and Darla are looking for 'muscular slaves'. I know a few people who'd gladly volunteer. Once again Dru wants Angel to punish them for being naughty, she likes the idea of flogging but not of churches.

Captain Subtext;

Is the attraction between Lindsey and Darla real? Dru seems to like Lilah. Wes denies that his arse is 'pansy'.

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Poor old Merl get waterboarded

Buffy characters on Angel; 13

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master

Questions and observations;

Virginia's back, hooray! Wes intends to sing Cat Stevens, I'm guessing 'Morning has Broken' rather than 'Father and Son' or 'The First Cut is the Deepest'. In the end they pick Queen, good choice. Darla wonders why people always assume a man has to be involved in a woman's business? Angel smokes again.

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• Redefinition

Redefinition was a perfect and defining episode of Angel. This episode see's Angel take his personal battle with Darla and Druscilla and make it his only focus. Meanwhile the rest of the gang don't know what to do with themselves after Angel fired them. This was an interesting exploration into how the characters would handle such a situation. I really enjoyed Angel's narrations as he trained to be ready to fight Darla and Druscilla. I also thought it was classic having the Gang sing kareoke to find their way. There were some dramatic scenes involving Lindsey and Lila which had some surprising results. I can't wait to find out what will happen next!!!!!!!
  • Angel seeks to destroy Darla and Drusilla, whilst Cordelia, Wesley and Gunn cope with their job loss.

Redefinition is an excellent, character based episode. A lot of the episodes of this season so far have been about the storyline and characters rather than action and this is no different. Each character has to redefine themselves in this episode- with mixed results.

Angel becomes solely dedicated to stopping Darla and Drusilla from destroying the City of Angels and spends most of this episode in self reflection- he's cutting away from every tie that bound him to humanity- Cordelia, Wesley, Gunn, even small things like sleeping in soft beds- he's becoming cold on the inside, and it seems he will stop and nothing to destory Darla and Drusilla and W&H. The shock of losing Darla and coping with her death is too much for him- Darla was in many ways a parallel to him and he felt that if she could achieve redemption, he could too. But W&H stepped him and she was lost to evil again- and in the process so was Angel's will to help the helpless. He isn't intersted in helping people anymore.

Cordy, Wesley and Gunn have to cope with the loss of their job. This episode revealed a startling point about Gunn- he cared alot about his job for Angel. I thought it WAS just a sidegig for him but seemingly not. Cordelia and Wesley are lost without their jobs- they feel like they have no place in this world and seek Lorne to help them find answers. Their scenes in Caritas were a welcome break from the darkness of other scenes- they were light and fun and made me smile. Their decision to carry on with the agency was the right move I think- they are not becoming cold inside like Angel but are still burning with the need to help others- it is their priority and they prove to make a strong team when they singlehandedly kill the demon- showing they can do the job without Angel.

Darla seeks to prove she is her own person- that she isn't defined by Angel and doesn't need nor want him but as Drusilla possesses the sight, she can see through this farce. Darla loves Angel and it is proved when she gets angry at the demon ring with Drusilla- she doesn't want to hear these things, she wants to be without her feelings but she can't forget about what Angel did for her when she was human- of how he cared for her. Her feelings are shown in the one word- "Angel..". Her face clearly proves she still wants him and her words won't change that. The last scene is the only really time we see Darla get worried - she recognizes that Angel isn't Angel anymore- but he's not Angelus either.

Redefinition was a standout episode- it's about the characters and for once Cordy, Wesley and Gunn weren't pushed aside- they were the main story of the episode. A truly excellent episode.
  • "We are the champions!"

After being fired by Angel, Cordelia, Gunn and Wesley struggle to find what to do with their lives. Lindsey and Lilah are the only survivors of Darla and Drusilla's massacre, but they fear the senior partners might be looking for someone to blame and by someone they think them. Darla and Drusilla try to round up followers for their campaign to rule the city while Angel prepares him self to take them on.

David Boreanaz has a lot of talent when it comes to voice overs. Just like in the Buffy episode Passion his voice overs really intensified the episode. I also liked that, other then his voice overs, Angel had no lines throughout the episode. It really helped to create the Dark and solitary Angel character. Gunn, Wesley and Cordelia were really enjoyable in this episode. From there bickering to their singing karaoke, they bought the entertainment to a dark episode, well them and Drusilla. I felt sorry for her and Darla at the end. yes I know they're the evil but evil or not, no one deserves to be set on fire. I enjoyed the Lindsey and Lilah storyline, for once. They were very enjoyable throughout the episode and I liked the end result, their faces were classic.
    An extremely good episode.
  • Angel struggles after firing his team.

This episode is a little slow moving, but good all the same. Wes, Cordy and Gunn shine as a trio and the scenes in the bar are both touching and hilarious at the same time. It's nice to see them all coming together and Gunn really molds well into the group. And any appearance of th host is great. I'm not the biggest fan of Angel's voice overs because they are a tad melodramatic, but they explain his struggle well. Darla and Dru are great in this episode and when Angel tries to light them on fire, he looks so hot and bothered it is great. All in all a good episode.
  • The Reign of Dark Angel continues...

Redefeintion-After firing his staff and cutting himself off from all help, Angel begins intense physical and mental training to become strong enough to stop Darla and Drusilla before they destroy the City of Angels. Meanwhile, Cordelia, Wesley, and Gunn try to continue the good fight on their own now that Angel has abandoned the cause.

A strong follow up to the shocking events of last episode. You now don't think Angel lost it last episode, he HAS lost it in the literal sense! Him losing Darla to the dark side to the invovlment with Wolfarm and Hart seems to have been the finally straw, Angel is not playing good guy anymore and has takin' a much darker persona. David conveys a lot of pain and anger in Angel convincingly and the scenes where Angel preparing to battle the 2 vile vixens are very effective and well-written. But you can't help but be mad for what he did to his 3 friends and co-workers, but I have to say the do provide some hilarious scenes. Like Wes, Cordy and Gunn seeing we are the champions at Lorne's club and Lorne being there to comfort them. It also gives the 3 a chance to work together and learn that it's up to them to help those in need without Angel anymore. It's nice to see Lindsey and Lilah survive the massarce since they are really the only 2 interesting characters of Wolfram and Hart. Darla and Drusilla continue to be an impressive evil duo especially with they're take charge approachs and their dialogue. I especially love these lines:

Darla: "Angel should be here doing this work, instead his probably off flogging to a church somewhere."
    Drusilla: "Oooo, flogging...Ehw, churches."

The best part of the episode has to be with Angel setting Darla and Dru on fire and just walking away. It's such a powerful and dark scene with Dru and Darla's reactions being so spot on. Then Darla delievers this very truthful line: Darla: "That wasn't Angel...and it wasn't Angelus either...who was that?"

Just goes to show how relentless Angel has become and his hate and anger has consumed him. The last line of the episode after Wesley addresses Anges says it all.

Angel: "They can fight the good fight, I'm gonna fight the war."

All and All, a brilliant episode and another highlight for this impressive 2nd season.
  • Drunken Champions

I have to say I'm suprised this isn't on the top episodes list, I would've thought it'd been a hit among others just as it was between me and my friends. First off, I loved Angel's scenes. Awesome, awesome, awesome. He didn't speak out loud throughout the entire episode, only in his thoughts did we hear his voice. It was an interesting creative technique and was pulled off great! His training was very cool and his showdown with Drala and Drusilla was great. I think those two finally realized that their once friend is no longer on their side. Cordelia, Gunn, and Wesley though, had THE BEST scenes of the episode. From their fighting to drunken singing, they were just funny. The three of them make a great team, but of course they're better with Angel. Series classic, I think, with the best line ever said by Wesley after Gunn throws an insult at him.
    Gunn: Since when do his directives hire pansy ass British guys?
    Wesley: My ass is not pansy.
  • The story lines follow the main characters after team Angel splits & Team Darla & Dru take off.

Story line A, deals with what happens with Angel after he splits from the rest of the team. Angel reveals that he has grown too soft to fight Darla & Dru. Darla & Dru put the word out they they are taking over and announce a competition for demons who want to join them. Angel continues to build his strength to take them on. Angel shows up at the demon competition early and takes all the demons out. He is waiting when Dru & Darla arrive and sets the whole place up in flames, but Darla & Dru escape.
    Story line B, reveals what happens with the rest of the team after being fired. Wes, Cor & Gunn end up at Caritas for help in determine their destiny. After much alcohol is consumed the 3 engage in a blame fest that is more than a little fun and end the evening singing "We Are the Champions" together. The 3 successfully take on a demon which leads them to the realization that they can and should go on fighting evil without Angel.

Storyline C, reveals what happens at W&H after the massacre. Lindsay and Lilah are left alive after the massacre and they fear W&H repercussions. Ultimately the senior partners see flaws in them each individually but a powerful force collectively. Lindsay & Lilah are named as the joint acting co-V.P.s of Special Projects.
  • A truly apt title for this episode, as the members of Angel Investigations tries to find their place in the world given the events of the previous episode.

Taking a format that worked wonderfully well in Buffy’s ‘Passion’ and ‘Becoming (part 1 and 2)’ Angel narrates over this episode, but in a change from the Buffy episodes Angel doesn’t actually say anything in the episode, which strengthens the depth of the episode.

Throughout this episode Angel works out and prepares for dealing with Drusilla and Darla. He acknowledges through his voiceovers that he isn’t ready to fight two of the most formidable vampires ever. He trains as many preparing for a fight might do. He trains alone, then finds some rather weak opponents to spar with, gets some information out of Merle (who you have to feel a little sorry for) and then stalks his enemies to finally engage them in a fight.

Over at W&H the only two remaining lawyers, Lindsey and Lilah recover from surviving the massacre. At first as Lindsey wakes up, he is thrilled, not to find that he alive but that he is the only one left alive. This joy is short lived as he realises that Lilah is also alive. This is undoubtedly going to annoy him, especially as he thought that Darla left him alive, because maybe, just maybe she has feelings from him.
    Lindsey and Lilah then have to face both Darla and Drusilla and their bosses at W&H. Darla and Drusilla never really reveal their motives for leaving the two lawyers alive, what they do say is rather weak.
    Lindsey and Lilah’s redefinition in this episode is that they are both promoted as joint chiefs of their division. This sets up for some interesting power play between the two lawyers over the next few episodes as they deal with Angel’s warpath against them.

What’s equally as interesting in this episode is the rest of the gangs reaction to Angel firing them. Cordy is notably the most upset, but it is clear from early on that Wesley is also feeling a little lost. Gunn seems the least affected though as we see in one of my favourite Caritas scenes ever he is more upset than he let on. Talking about this scene, it is so amazing. The squabbling between the team followed by the drunken singing is such a fun scene and it’s made even more perfect with them running off to help the helpless and finding their place in the world; this is what they do now, no matter if their have their champion or not.

Darla and Drusilla set about their redefinition by trying to gain power again in the vampire world. Various flashbacks of the Fang Four give the impression that they somewhat dominated the vampire world. However this power and dominance has been long lost; Angelus has a soul, Spike a chip and Darla was dusted. So now they try to train up an army of vampires and demons. In the last episode that we will see Drusilla on Angel, there is an intriguing chemistry between the two female vamps. Darla for the most part of the episode seems utterly annoyed by Drusilla and her mad ways. This was probably an inevitable outcome between the two. The twisted relationship between the Fang Four saw Darla never really tolerate anyone but Angelus so it is understandable that Darla gets increasingly irritated with the insane Drusilla. Their hunt leads them to the hugely powerful and utterly thrilling confrontation between Angel and Darla and Drusilla. To see Angel turning so evil without turning to Angelus is utterly brilliant to watch. Angelus was always a rather cheerful character so it stands to reason that only Angel could turn this dark. In a well-directed scene we see Angel slowly but surely set his ex-lovers on fire. It’s a horrifying scene to see the two vamps so burnt (though lets face it, were they not such important characters that fire would’ve killed them instantly. The strongest part of the episode is with Drusilla and Darla in pain and questioning who set them on fire. This memorable scene sets up Angel’s redefinition as the loner, a role that he will play for the next few episodes.
  • Angel readies himself for his inevitable confrontation with Darla

Yes, it really did happen last episode: Angel really did fire his crew. We see them carrying out their belongings and going their separate ways. All 3 of them try to be brave about it, but you know it has to be killing them that Angel would do this to them. Meanwhile, Angel is getting serious with his training and clearing all reminders of Darla out of his life (throwing his drawings of her into the furnace.)
    Also, we find out Lindsey and Lilah were spared in the big lawyer killing spree and we soon find out why. Seems Darla and Dru arent fools (Well Darla isnt, anyway) and they know they need to keep contacts within W&H. The gang (Wes, Cordy and Gunn) meet up at Caritas (not meaning to!) because they are looking for some guidance. They soon find it, but not the way you would think. Cor has a vision and the 3 go off to save the day without Angel. They end up doing allright and saving the girl. Seems our 3 are going to be ok without their Vamp Boss. Angel ends up finding his party girls and setting them on fire. He really HAS gone dark.
  • Darla and Dru want some power but Angel is preparing to stop them.

This was a good episode but a same it saw the end of the vampire duo Darla and Drusilla.

there were good and bad points to this episode, i really liked Lilah and Lindsay in this episode and Cordy Gunn and Wes had some good banter, the only thing i didnt like were the voice overs from angel and the street fighter demons otherwise a classic episode from season 2
  • angel goes dark

this episode was great! angel is starting to go dark because he cannot take what the lawyers did to darla so he got vengeance and fired his crew. darla and drusilla are now together and killed all the lawyers except lindsey and lilah who they want to be together with but lidnsey and lilah have probelems because they are now suispicous for surviving the attack.

angel begins to train because he has to kill his lover and at the end he puts them on fire. angel feels like he has to fight a war and that he will win by doing this. good luck angel!
  • preparation is all

What happens when you piss of Angel? well Dru and Darla find that out the hard way. the episode is a slow ride leading up to the final scene, and this final scene is worth it all. In their pain and agony, they learn the lesson of choosing the wrong enemy, and theat is so clear in their voices, it is just scary.

As the Woldram and hart part evolves, and as The two vampires prepare to fight Angel, they all learn that they might have pushed a little too much. It is also a clear moment, where we see that Angel is reacting darker and more sinister. The storyline for the season is building up quite nicely, and the end breaks open a season rthat was odd to say the least, making this a great move to what i think becomes the best closing of an Angel season ever.
  • This episode is perfect, the voice overs, dark Angel. the Lindsey/Lilah rival thing and ofcourse Darla and Dru. really sad that this was their last episode together. it was totally awesome! and the three fired getting on and seeing that they can do it wit

Redefinition

woah! this episode doesn't have anything bad. not a scene! it's hilarious. it's dark! it has great effects, awesomely directed and acted. really sad though that this was the last Darla/Dru episode. they were such an amazing couple. also the gang moving on was a great idea and making Angel this dark was also a great idea. and last, the Lindsey/Lilah thing really works for me. I didn't care that much for Lilah before but this is the episode when she starts to become a great character like Lindsey. just - perfect episode!

cut to the three fired. Cordy can't believe Angel fired her. Gunn doesn't really care because it was just a sidekick. Wes says that it's better to leave Angel alone for now. cut to Angel with Darla's drawings, he burns them all.

the credits start

cut to Angel training, he says that he can't take them. not yet. but soon. cut to the dead lawyers. then Lindsey's eyes are open. cut to a while later. some doctors are looking through the lawyers for dead people. Lindsey thinks that there has to be a reason he is still alive as the only one. then one says that there is another one. Lindsey looks disappointed and sees that it's Lilah. cut to Wesley telling Virginia, Virginia thinks that Angel was jealous but he says he wasn't because he fired Gunn and Cordy as well. she says that he will get a job just like that, and asks what he can do...he says, not much.

cut to Angel training, he is in a very good shape and then says that it's time. Angel says not to be on their level yet, but he can be there. and when he is. he will bring the fight to them. cut to the office, Lindsey and Lilah hooking up. Lilah says that one of them shall have to pay the price now that Holland is dead because they are the only ones left standing. they get to his office and Lindsey sees Darla and Dru. he says not the only ones. Darla goes over to Lindsey and says she is inlove with him and then she laughs in his face. she says she has decided to have a link with W&H and not both lawyers will die so the other will be their liaison. They want power because they are planning to be big players. Lindsey says he thought that Darla would have killed Angel and she says that all in good time.

cut to Angel in the sewers, he sees some vampires and he attacks them and kills them all. then he says he has it finally and has the moves, now he has to know what theirs are. cut to the demon karaoke bar. Wesley shows up and he is gonna have to sing. then he sees Cordy, they don't want to admit that they are both gonna sing, they are embarrassed and then Gunn shows up. he is embarrassed as well. all because of Angel, Cordy says that she hopes he is happy all alone and no one to talk with.

cut to Angel forcing Merl to talk, he puts him in the water until he says where to find Darla and Dru, Angel leaves poor Merl spinning behind. cut to a fightclub. Darla and Dru come in the middle. Darla doesn't understand why they are hurting each other. they say that they are the new and only thing in town and they want some demons working for them. Angel is watching them and Dru feels it. Darla tells Dru to shut up and then tells the demons to come to an address, the losers will be left dead. and then they go. cut to Angel outside. he isn't ready. he can sill feel her pain and hope. cut to the office of Lindsey, Lilah suddenly appears and she says that she can't take it anymore. They are gonna kill them and she wants to leave with him. she knows that he could once and they should again. Lindsey grabs her and wants to kiss her but then takes the microphone out of her and says that he is shocked by the suggestion and then laughs in her face. he says that they are gonna kill who they are gonna kill and says that she has to take it like a man.

cut to the three on a table giving each other the blame. they keep fighting and then suddenly they are singing 'we are the champions!' cut to a little later, everyone is gone and they are very drunk and not barfing. then Lorne comes over and Cordy asks him to tell them what their destiny is. He says that he won't say because the big guys are chatty. Cordy has a vision. They have to go and save her. cut to Angel's phone ringing but he doesn't answer up. he grabs some weapons and leaves. cut to the three. they go to the alley but they can't find the girl, Wes then sees some blood and they have to climb now.

cut to Dru and Darla coming out of a bar. Darla is pissed because in a perfect world Angel would be with them destroying the city. Dru sees a pretty fire and Darla says that they have to hurry up. cut to Angel arriving to a place, he sees them demons and grabs his weapon. cut to the three going to find the demon. they see the girl and help her when the demon attacks. he fights the guys but after some fighting and biting Wes they still kill it. cut to Darla and Dry arriving to the place, Dru wants to buy it and she likes Lilah. Darla says that they are sweet but naive. they enter the place and see all the demons dead. Darla then soon sees Angel. he doesn't say anything and has a cigarette in his hand. then he drops it and the cigarette becomes a big fire that burns the two girls. they grab a hammer and brake into a water thing that bursts and puts out their fire. Dru and Darla are burned and Darla says that it wasn't Angel and neither Angelus...who was that?(one of the greatest scenes).

cut to Lilah and Lindsey walking to the office, Lilah is still frustrated and they tell them that both aren't actually qualified but still they give them both co-presidents of the special projects until the day they will narrow it down. cut to Angel in his basement. Wesley comes over and says that he just wants to tell them that the agency is still opened. and they will keep on with the good fight. Angel thinks that they should keep with the good fight because he has to fight a war.

Black out

Best episode quotes:

Cordelia: What just happened? Can someone explain to me what just happened here?
    Wesley: I believe we were fired.
    Gunn: Canned.
    Wesley: Let go.
    Gunn: Axed.
    Wesley: Shown the door.
    Gunn: Booted.
    Cordelia: All right! I get it. But … what just happened? - Fired? Angel fired us?
    Wesley: Looks that way.
    Cordelia: Uh. I can't believe this.
    Wesley: Let's keep a level head, shall we? - Angel's not been himself lately. Perhaps he'll change his mind.
    Gunn: He locked twenty lawyers into a room with a couple of psychotic vampires. I'd say his mind is changed enough.
    Cordelia: Darla. It's all about Darla. One thing you can say about Angel at least he's consistent. It's always some little blonde driving him over the edge What are we supposed to do now?
    Gunn: I think I'll grab a burrito before I had home. What?
    Wesley: No, no. By all means, if you're hungry.
    Gunn: Hey, this was just a side gig for me, alright? The extra cash was nice while it lasted, but - Angel wants to go all commando? Hm-mm. No skin off my nose.
    Cordelia: Well, my nose skin is angry - and hurt! And...
    Wesley: ..disappointed? I won't pretend to understand Angel's reasons - but maybe he needs to be alone right now. - And the best thing that we can do for him - is to let him be.
    Cordelia: Alone.

Angel: I'm not ready yet. Too many years spent sleeping in soft beds, living in a world where I don't belong. I can't fight them. Not yet. But soon.

Paramedic: You've just been through a very traumatic experience. Really, sir, you should be in a hospital.
    Lindsey: She saved me.
    Paramedic: That maybe true, sir, but you should still be checked out by a doctor.
    Lindsey: There has to be a reason - why I'm the only one left alive.
    Paramedic: You're in shock. You need to see a doctor.
    Lindsey: I'm the only one left.
    Man: Hey, we got a live one here.
    Lindsey: We do? … Lilah.

Virginia: You got to be kidding me. He fired you? He can't fire you! You're on a mission to protect the innocent. You can't fire someone on a mission. What did he say, exactly?'
    Wesley: You're fired.
    Virginia: Oh. Well, can you file a grievance with the union?
    Wesley: Virginia, I'm not in a union. I'm a... - I don't even know what the name of my job is! - Was.
    Virginia: You're a renowned specialist in, in supernatural aid and rescue.
    Wesley: No, I'm just... - renowned?
    Virginia: Well, to me you are. You saved my life. - Although you should be in a union. My father always used union conjurers.
    Wesley: I didn't know that.
    Virginia: Oh, the wizard community is very progressive.
    Wesley: Your father tired to sacrifice you to the goddess Yeska.
    Virginia: Yeah, one of the many reasons why I'll never talk to him again. Although I'm healing, thanks to a lot of therapy - and a gigantic trust-fund. - Hey, you know what it is? He's jealous!
    Wesley: Your father?
    Virginia: No. Angel. You had to impersonate him to rescue me and you're too good an Angel.
    Wesley: I don't think so. He fired Cordy and Gunn, too.
    Virginia: All of you? Why?
    Wesley: It has to do with - Darla being made a vampire again and hooking up with Drusilla and... The three of them have a very tangled past. - My guess is, he'll be hunting them down and he doesn't want anyone in his way.
    Virginia: Well, his loss it the worlds gain. You'll get another job just like that! What else can you do?
    Wesley: Not much.

Angel: When Wolfram & Hart take a life, they do it at a distance. I don't have that luxury. It's time. I'm not on their level. But I can get there. And when I do, I'll be right up close. I'll bring the fight to them.

Lindsey: No messages? No messages, are you sure? Check...Thanks.
    Lilah: You're getting the big freeze-out, too?
    Lindsey: Lilah.
    Lilah: Oh, what's wrong, Lindsey? You bitter because your girlfriend didn't slit my throat?
    Lindsey: That might be overstating it. More like bummed.
    Lilah: Sorry to disappoint. I take it I'm not the only one feeling the lack of empathy around here.
    Lindsey: What are you looking at?
    Lilah: No phone calls, no flowers. If I were the nervous type, I'd be nervous. But as it is, I'm just pissed.
    Lindsey: What do you expect, Lilah? We're the only survivors of the massacre, it's natural that we're under suspicion.
    Lilah: Yeah, you know what I don't like about suspicion? The part where they find us two weeks from now, dead in some freak accident.
    Lindsey: We did nothing wrong.
    Lilah: I'm sorry, have we met? Because I work for Wolfram and Hart. Responsibility has nothing to do with it. If they are looking for a scapegoat we might as well grow horns and start eating garbage.
    Lindsey: Scapegoat. Scapegoat, Lilah?! They're the one...They're the ones who wanted Drusilla brought in. I was following orders.
    Lilah: And you honestly think that matters? - Fine. Indulge your denial. Don't doubt for a minute someone's gonna pay, Lindsey, and we're the only ones left.
    Lindsey: Not the only ones.
    Darla: Lindsey. I've missed you. Close the door. Sweetpea, if we wanted you dead, you'd have never have made it out of the wine cellar. - Now close the door.
    Drusilla: He's got cow eyes. Big and black. - Moo...
    Lindsey: You spared me. - Why'd you spare me, Darla?
    Darla: Do you really have to ask? Hmm. I'm in love with you.
    [Darla laughs and Dru laughs as well. Then Lilah starts to laugh]
    Darla: Shut up, Lilah.
    Drusilla: Shh!
    Darla: Well, look at you two, such pretty scars.
    Lindsey: You've put us in a difficult position, Darla.
    Darla: Hmm, have I? - Smart young lawyers, hungry for their big break and whoops - boss gets eaten. Someone has to step in. Someone promising, pretty, with questionable ethics and twelve-hundred dollar suits that look good on the six o'clock news.
    Lilah: You think they'll promote him?
    Darla: Or you. In any case, that's why you're here. I've decided to - keep the line of communication open between us and Wolfram and Hart.
    Lindsey: What for?
    Darla: I believe we can help each other.
    Lindsey: I don't think I understand. What is it exactly that you want, Darla?
    Darla: Power. See, Lindsey, during my stint as Wolfram and Hart's puppet, something occurred to me. I loathe being used. If I recall I sent you a fifteen-body-memo to that effect. We plan on being big players in this town, Dru and I. - And while you can't give me what I want, you have the things I need to get it. Money. Connections.
    Lilah: We're no good to you dead, Darla. The Senior Partners are looking for someone to blame for your massacre.
    Darla: But surely they wouldn't kill both of you. Seems like such a waste. - Well, I guess, whoever's left standing will be our liaison.
    Lindsey: Liaison to what?
    Darla: To the world above of course. In the meantime, we'll focus on the world below.
    Lindsey: This power - that you want - does it have a target? - You going after Angel?
    Darla: Don't say that! - Not everything is about Angel, Lindsey. I just want to have some fun.
    Lindsey: Well, you see, I'm surprised. Because I though that you would make him your top priority.
    Darla: I spent two-hundred and fifty years without Angel. You think just because I went through a little human phase I'd go all gooey?
    Lindsey: No. - No, I thought you'd kill him.
    Darla: All in good time, my love. All in good time.

Angel: I'm ready. I've got the moves. Now I need to know what theirs are.

Wesley: Gahh!
    Cordelia: Wesley.
    Wesley: Cordelia. How... odd to see you.
    Cordelia: Wh-what are you doing here?
    Wesley: Me? Oh, I just... came in for a drink.
    Cordelia: Ah. Because only demon Karaoke bars - have those. You were gonna sing.
    Wesley: Sing? Oh, dear lord, no. No. - Uh, I merely... - what are you doing here?
    Cordelia: Oh. Ah, well... I was, uhm... in the neighborhood?
    Wesley: You live fifteen miles away.
    Cordelia: Yeah, well, you know L.A. It's all one really - big neighborhood.
    Wesley: I see. Come to find your destiny, have you? - And who's gonna help you with that?
    Cordelia: Shanaia Twain or Madonna. I hadn't decided.
    Wesley: I suppose we're both rather at lose ends now that Angel has...
    Cordelia: ...pulled a total wig?
    Wesley: Quite. - I must admit, I'm somewhat embarrassed.
    Gunn: How do you think I feel?
    Cordelia: Gunn. What are you... What happened to 'this was just a side gig?
    Gunn: Hey, I got a rep to maintain, alright? I can't have you all seeing through my brusque and macho exterior.
    Cordelia: Oh, heavens forfend!
    Wesley: So, I'll assume it's not Madonna, but what song were you going to sing?
    Gunn: You wouldn't know it.
    Cordelia: Well, I for one, would just like to point out the patheticness that is us. - This is all Angel's fault. I hope he's happy now. All alone in his demon world with no one to talk to.

Merl: I'll talk! But I'm telling you man, I don't know where [Angel puts him in the water] ...Is that how you get your rock off, you sick [Angel puts him in the water]... All right, all right. Alright. I heard about your girls, Godzilla, Darcilla, whatever. Uh... they've been hitting all the underground hot spots. Looking for demons to join some, ah, crew they're running. That's all I know, man, I swear. [Angel puts him in the water] Okay! Okay. Okay. You didn't hear this from me. But you know that little Bar-and-bite club on La Cienega and Washington? - Ah, that's the only demon haunt they ain't been to. Okay? Okay? Hey, alright? Hey, hey, hey, you're gonna cut me down, right? You're not just gonna leave me hanging here, man? Hey! Hey! I'm spinning here, man. - Freaking vampires.

Darla: Wow. That was something. But violence without victims, see, that's where you lose me.
    Demon: Who the hell are you?
    Darla: My name's Darla and this is Drusilla. We're new in town though some of you know us by reputation.
    Demon: I never heard of you before.
    [Drusilla rips off his ears]
    Darla: Now you never will. I trust we have everyone's attention? - Good. We've come with a little proposition. Me and my girl, we're not just the new thing in town - we're the only thing in town. And we're in the market for some... Well, one doesn't really want to use the term 'muscular slaves...' - Actually, one does. Unfortunately for most, we're only looking for the best. Those creatures who not only excel at devastation, but revel in it. Our crusade is one of malevolent joy.
    Drusilla: Eyes like needles.
    Darla: Dru, I'm working here?
    Drusilla: He sees you. Sees what you were. You'll never be alone again.
    Darla: Stop! - J-just don't.
    Drusilla: He's watching you, my sweet, right now.
    Darla: Angel.
    Drusilla: He wants to punish us. He thinks we've been naughty. - He remembers when you were warm.
    Darla: Shut up, Drusilla! Now, as I was saying, if you think you have what it takes to join us, auditions are tonight, here at this address. Winners will have the opportunity to foment mass-destruction, losers will be gutted and left for dead. Have a nice night.

Lindsey: Lilah. Something happened?
    Lilah: I can't do it anymore, Lindsey.
    Lindsey: Do what?
    Lilah: The waiting. - I'm sitting in my office and - every time there is a noise or the phone rings... One of us is gonna die, Lindsey.
    Lindsey: Everybody dies, Lilah.
    Lilah: But not everybody ends up in a dog-food processing plant in San Pedro.
    Lindsey: May not happen to you, Lilah. You got a fifty fifty chance of surviving this thing, just like me.
    Lilah: That's not good enough. - There is a way out of this.
    Lindsey: How?
    Lilah: We don't wait for them to chose - one of us, we - chose each other instead. If we stick together we can beat them. We could leave you and me, tonight. They'd have no choice...
    Lindsey: No choice but to hunt us down, which they would.
    Lilah: No. Not if we took files, as insurance.
    Lindsey: Take files?
    Lilah: Yes. - Look. I've heard the rumors. We both know - that it worked for you once before. You knew - just what to take. And this time you won't have to assume any of the risk. You just tell me which files to steal and I'll get them. And then - we can get out of here. End this mess - together. - Are you in?
    Lindsey: But Lilah, I would never steal files from my employer. I'm shocked at the suggestion. Forget about the frame job, sweetheart. They're gonna kill who they're gonna kill. Just take it like a man.

Cordelia: But see, that's what I'm saying. If Wesley hadn't been all shaking his finger...
    Wesley: No, no, no.
    Cordelia: ...and no, no, no, this whole Darla-thing would have just, you know, blown over.
    Gunn: What?!
    Wesley: Blown over? Angel is obsessed with Darla. Obsessions don't just blow over.
    Gunn: Right.
    Cordelia: Well, you certainly didn't help by making him feel guilty about it. You shamed him into firing us!
    Wesley: You blaming this on me?
    Cordelia: I'm not blaming... - Yes. I'm blaming you. You get the blame.
    Gunn: I don't know. If I'd had to listen to you two day in day out snipe, snipe, snipe, bitch, bitch, bitch. - I figure you all got of easy, because I would have killed you.
    Cordelia: Ha. That's rich coming from Mr. 'I don't take orders - now where do I stick my ax?
    Gunn: What is that supposed to mean?
    Wesley: Well, Gunn. You've never been very supportive of Angel's leadership role. I remember a certain shroud.
    Gunn: Hold up. Hold on, are you trying to tell me this is my fault?
    Wesley: Well, how is the man supposed to run a business if his employees won't follow directives?
    Gunn: Was one of his directives 'hire pansy-assed British guys?'
    Wesley: My ass is not pansy.
    Host: Could I have someone bring you kids another round?
    Cordy/Wes/Gunn: Yes.
    Gunn: What about her? Maybe if she'd had a couple more visions Angel would have been too distracted to think about this Darla-chick, huh?
    Cordelia: Earth to retards: you have an obsession you pretty much squeeze it into your schedule, no matter what!
    Wesley: Aha! So you admit it's an obsession.
    Cordelia: No. - I mean, yes. But no.
    Wesley: Hypocrite.
    Cordelia: Ass-pansy.
    Wesley: Don't call me that!
    Gunn: You two are driving me buggy. All you talk about is 'this is his fault, this is her fault...' You two wouldn't last ten seconds on the street.

Cordelia: Vampires, sloth demons - you what's really, really evil? - Tequila.
    Wesley: I need to be dead now.
    Host: Well, well, I can see the maudlin segment of tonight's binge is in full swing. Now, don't be blue. I was very impressed with your musical recitation of pain earlier. And when I say pain, I mean mine. Although props for singing your little hearts out.
    Cordelia: Yeah. Our hearts were out. You, Mr. Big - Mojo-guy, are supposed to, uhm, give us guidance now.
    Wesley: She's right. We came, we sang, we... fought the urge to regurgitate.
    Cordelia: So spill already. Not you. - What are we supposed to do with our lives? Where do we go from here?
    Host: Oh - I'd love to tell you, sweetie. But - when the big guys talk, I shut my yap. And they're about to get real chatty.
    [Cordy has a vision]
    Wesley: Cordy? … Are you alright?
    Cordelia: No!
    Gunn: What'd you see?
    Cordelia: Ooh. Alley. Not too far from here. A demon is dragging a girl... She's hurt - bleeding...
    Wesley: Let’s go.

Drusilla: I didn't like that barkeeper. Hmm, can't get his eyes of my fingers.
    Darla: That was the last one. It's nearly midnight now. We should get to the factory.
    Drusilla: My little bird is anxious.
    Darla: Yeah, well, recruiting a legion of demons is stressful, Dru.
    Drusilla: He won't leave, you know.
    Darla: I don't wanna hear this.
    Drusilla: We could have a thousand soldiers and still he'll come, galloping, galloping, still he'll come.
    Darla: Why is everybody trying to make this about Angel?! I mean, for God's sake, can't a woman wreak a little havoc without there being a man involved?
    Drusilla: You miss him, like a heartbeat.
    Darla: I don't miss my heartbeat, Dru. It was a symptom of a disease I've since been cured off. - You know, in a perfect world, Angel would be here right now, helping me burn this city to the ground. This is his job I'm doing. But where is he? Probably flogging himself in a church somewhere.
    Drusilla: Ooh, flogging! Eew, churches.
    Darla: In a perfect world we'd be slaughtering the innocent. Laughing as we rain destruction on this whole miserable town.
    Drusilla: I see such pretty fire.
    Darla: Fire. Conflagration. In a perfect world there'd be nothing left here but ashes.
    Drusilla: And pain. So much suffering. The flames are lovely. They dance, and the fire licks like a cat. And the screams, oh, it's like star music.
    Darla: That's nice, Dru. Now hurry up. We can't be late.

Darla: I want to make this quick, alright? We get in there, weed out the losers, and get out. I've got precious little patience left.
    Drusilla: Oh, it's beautiful! Dank and dark. It reeks of death.
    Darla: That's motor oil, Dru.
    Drusilla: Can we buy it? It could be our castle.
    Darla: There's no view. Plus we're broke. Though I suppose Lindsey could help out in that respect, if they haven't killed him yet.
    Drusilla: I like the girl. She's wicked.
    Darla: They're sweet kids. Naïve, but they're only human. I doubt they even know what Wolfram and Hart's true plan for Angel is. - But I have to say, my curiosity is peeked.
    Drusilla: Ten little soldiers, all in a line. A shot rings out down to nine.
    Darla: Ten? I'd be happy if we could find three who can hack it.
    Drusilla: Dead already? Bad soldiers!
    Darla: I should have known.
    Drusilla: A shadow.
    Darla: Why so far away, my love? Why don't you come over here and... stake me? Angel? Angelus?
    [Angel puts them on fire. They knock the top of the fire hydrant and the water puts them off]
    Drusilla: I'm burning. Make it stop, please.
    Darla: Shh. Shh. That wasn't Angel.
    Drusilla: He's gone. He's all gone. Oh - it hurts! It hurts!
    Darla: Wasn't Angelus either.
    Drusilla: Darla, help me. Help me, please! Please. Please.
    Darla: Who was that?

Lilah: Heard about the fire?
    Lindsey: They're still alive.
    Lilah: Undead.
    Lindsey: Whatever.
    Lilah: Heard it was Angel.
    Lindsey: So?
    Lilah: Killed a dozen demons, lit up Darla and Drusilla like a Christmas tree.
    Lindsey: What is your point Lilah?
    Lilah: Little grimmer than usual, don't you think?
    Lindsey: Holland's vision lives on.
    Lilah: Screw his vision. Anybody's going down in here, it's gonna be you.
    Lindsey: If that's what it takes.
    Hunt: Sit down. I suppose you know why you're here. The Senior Partners have decided - that this should be a time of grief and reflection. We will never be able to replace Holland Manners. He was a man of extraordinary talents. - The bottom line is this leaves us with an opening in our roster. We need an executive vice-president of Special Projects. Mr. McDonald - your conduct with this firm had proved spotty at best. You've stolen files, co-operated with our enemy, disobeyed orders time and again. Mrs. Morgan - when you drove away the telekinetic Bethany Chaulk, you lost for us a powerful potential assassin. Not to mention the fact that both of you have been extremely negligent about informing us of visits form certain - ladies - who, lest we forget, ate the majority of our contracts department. - The truth is that neither one of you are particularly qualified to run the special projects division. As for your relationship to one another: your competition has been - vicious, destructive and - healthy. We think you keep each other on your toes. Which is why we have decided to appoint you both - as joint acting co-vice-presidents until such time as we see fit to - narrow it down. - Congratulations. This is a big step. The Senior Partners - will be watching you.

Wesley: I thought you might like to know we're keeping the agency open - with or without you. You may have turned your back on your mission, but we haven't. Someone has to fight the good fight.
    Angel: Let them fight the good fight. - Someone has to fight the war.

Story: 10