Angel

Reunion

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 19, 2000 on The WB

• "And yet, somehow, I just can't seem to care..."

Wow. I think that one single word is perfect for summing up this brilliant and amazing episode. The previous episode, "The Trial", was as good and set everything up for this pivotal and monumental episode. We got a great taste at the end of the last episode of the horror that was to come. Darla is held down as Drusilla comes in, in breathtaking slo-mo, and bites her. And that was it. They left us hanging. Things picks up brilliantly here and we get to see what has come of Drusilla's return and Darla's return to her old vampiric nature. I don't know which episode was season 2's best. This one or "Darla". This is easily the most exciting and surprising episode of the entire season. The only downside to Drusilla's return was that she was not around long enough. Same with Darla back as a vampire. Oh well. This episode is not just known for it's greatness and the return of Drusilla, but for it's shocking and unbelieveable ending. And not just one scene. The final two scenes. Who in the world saw those two things coming?. Certainly not me. But more on that a little bit later. "Reunion" is season two at it's very best. Wicked, shocking, exciting, and just plain brilliant. I would go on but I am running out of the right words to describe it. I absolutely love Drusilla, and her return to this show or on "Buffy", wether it be in the present or in flashbacks, is always a welcomed treat. I liked Darla being human, but it was nice to see her back to her evil ways. And not just her if you know what I mean. So, what happened in this fantastic episode?. Well, everything!. Read on, faithful reader, and find out...

Angel is bound and determined to stop Darla from rising as a vampire, thanks to Wolfram & Hart and Drusilla. Darla rises, the two go on the prowl, and Angel is determined to kill.

Whew. This episode really is a whirlwind. A real rollercoaster ride. Where exactly to start?. The whole scene on the rooftop with the nursery was just great. So well shot and exciting. Seeing these three old "family" members attack was a sight to behold. The fight scene was amazing and the whole thing just vibrated right off of the screen. But let's get to Drusilla for a moment, shall we?. It's been a while since we have seen Drusilla. This is the first time Drusilla has been seen since she rode off, unconscious, into the sunset with Spike at the end of Buffy's season two finale, "Becoming". There may of been a glimpse of her here and there in a flashback, but this is her REAL return. What a sight to behold too. Drusilla comes back just as we knew her. Completely looney, crazy, unpredictable, and deadly. In fact, this is probably the strongest and most "alive" we have seen our dear Dru. Juliet Landau is so brilliant, and just so perfect in the role. It seemed to of been custom made for her. I don't know hou much of Drusilla is in the way she is written, or how much of it comes directly from Juliet, but she just imbues this character with so much...er, character. She's like a ballerina, in the graceful moves she makes with the role. Brilliant. But Dru is also funny, and she is still hilarious in her wicked ways. Let's not forget Darla, either. Julie Benz has had a rollercoaster of emotions to play this season, and she has been magnificent. It is nice to see her back as the old Darla and having a little bit of fun herself. Every scene with the two of them is just magnetic. You see these two, petite, harmless looking women, but we know how evil they really are. Their every scene, especially together, just lights up the screen. Talk about a real dynamic duo.

And what about poor Angel?. This guy has been searching for redemption for so long, and he learned that he will become human once he fulfills his duties. All season long he has been trying to help Darla and to save her. He did everything in his power to save the woman who he ran with for 150 years or so. In the end, he couldn't save her, and now he knows what he has to do. He has to kill her. There is no other way. He couldn't save her as a human, but he will save her now from becoming evil once more and bringing death and mayhem to the streets. But he is too late. Darla has risen and escaped. Drusilla as well. From this point on, Angel changes. He made Drusilla and Drusilla has now re-made Darla. The granddaughter has re-sired the grandmother so to speak. It all comes back to Angel and he knows it. He takes responsibility for it all because he made Dru, and now the two of them are off painting the town blood red because he couldn't stop it. If he can't get to Darla, then he will go to the real source that it is all happening in present day. Wolfram & Hart. It's also at this point that Wes, Cordy, and Gunn realize that Angel is definitley slipping and they are clueless as to how to bring him back. Angel snaps and lets Darla and Dru have their way with Holland Manners, Lindsey, Lilah, and a whole room full of other Wolfram & Hart employees. He shuts the door and turns his back on them.

This was utterly shocking. Everything Angel is and has worked so hard for for the last several years is gone. This whole situation has turned him onto a different path. A dark one. He tells his gang what happened and they are stunned. They can't believe it. They still try to make some sense of it and bring sense back to Angel, but it seems to be futile. In another shocking twist, Angel fires Wes, Cordy, and Gunn, and walks out of the office leaving his now former co-workers speechless. It seems Angel has slipped even further than what we thought, and the season itself has now turned a corner into a very, very dark alley. Things get a lot darker and bleaker before they get better. But this is a Joss Whedon show, so we already knew that!. Two shocking and surprising moments in the last few minutes of this episode makes this one unbelieveable just with that alone!.

So, "Reunion" is just a powerful and important episode in season 2 of the show. Everything about it is just perfect and mesmerizing. Once again, the brilliant Tim Minear wrote it(along with Shawn Ryan), and he keeps proving that he is a force to be reckoned with behind the scenes. This episode is just amazing. It's just unbelieveable that a show could be this good.