Angel

Sacrifice

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 23, 2003 on The WB

• Jasmine becomes interesting!

I really didn't like this episode before but after rewatching it, I have to say I was really impressed with it and found it enjoyable! Much better than I expected and quite underrated!

I must say, Jasmine is excellent in this episode. She was menacing, evil and just gave off a really good villain vibe- I loved her scenes and was excited to see what she'd do next! From the teaser, where she watches our gang flee in the car with that murderous look on her face, we know the love and forgiveness she's so fond of raving about was gone here- she's utterly determined to kill Angel, Fred, Wes, Gunn and Lorne. Gina Torres was MUCH better here and one scene that shows off the psychoticness of Jasmine was the "I want your pain" one with Connor. Jasmine came off as controlling and power hungry, ripping into Connor's hand with her fingernails. She's determined to have everything, even pain. She was just excellent here. Also, on first watch I thought her speaking through other people was cheesy, but today I found it a good effect and it made it feel as if every one was out for the gang's blood. Then Jasmine was even more brilliant in the last scene- laughing manically as the wounds her followers sustained cut into her as well. I never thought I'd say this but I really enjoyed old Jazzy this episode! *joins Jazminions*

The scenes with Gunn's old gang member were so-so. They came across as a walking clice but thankfully weren't featured too much. The episode really could have done without them but I'm glad they were just sidelined. The Fred/Gunn scenes were great- Fred's foreshadowing of her death saying "I'd rather feel pain than be a shell" was subtext of her inevitble consummation by Illyria. It was also a nice call-back to their relationship, which has sort of been forgotten for about 8 episodes.

The scenes with Wesley in the demon's lair was good and informing- the revelation that Jasmine's real name breaks her spell was good and it was nice to remember her telling Fred that she didn't want to choose her name- I remember thinking it was odd. It's nice to know even Jasmine has made mistakes- for all her planning and manipulating, her one big mistake proved her downfall- as most good villain's do.

Sacrifice is an excellent episode that makes you appreciate Jasmine as a villain- she was manic, scary and very well acted. I really liked her here! Really great episode.