Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 23, 2003 on The WB

• Going underground

SACRIFICE

The Good;

The Critter in the sewers rather like Golum crossed with a giant tarantula and is truly scary. Gotta say I'm getting a little tired of the Jasmine storyline and I'll be glad when it's over

The Bad;

Jasmine's real face looks obviously rubber although the genuine maggots distract you from that. Again seems a huge coincidence that Angel and co fall into the sewers and discover just what they need. Once again the PTBs at work? I actually think that once they go down the sewers the whole ep withers. But the ending picks it up again mightily. Despite Gunn's comment we see exactly 2 police cars and a spotlight with some helicopter sound effects.

Best line;

Gunn; "I ain't never seen so many (police) cruisers"

Wes; "Well technically we're the only criminals left"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

The vamp in the web, especially when it gets it tongue ripped out!

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; when Connor and his troops arrive Gunn remarks 'Time for the big fight scene!' echoing what the audience is thinking. Lorne's 'don't judge by appearances' scene cruelly shot down by the refugees.

In disguise; 8

Wes: 6

Gunn; 4

Lorne; 4

Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Wes by the sewer creature

Cordy: 15

Angel; 44 vamps, 59 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 14 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Recurring characters killed;

9;

Total number of Angel Investigations;5

Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes,

Angel Investigations shot: threatened with guns by Jasmine's soldiers but no

Angel: 12

Angel; 3

Gunn; 2

Fred; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible, Justine

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Whereas the previous people Jasmine consumed were ordinary looking (and the director even commented on it) now it seems to be only pretty young things in their skimpy undies that Jasmine devours.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

The Catholic Church is now dedicated to Jasmine and the governer (Schwarzeneger yet?) has handed over his administration to her.

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil

Questions and observations;

You almost get the feeling that this was getting towards to the end of the season and the budget was running out so they said 'Hey let's put the entire ep in those old tunnel sets, that'll save us enough money for some Lord of the Rings CGI'. Still some nice stuff with the bug and a great climatic cliffhanger.

Lorne mentions that he heard Belieze was nice which is where Riley has been killing demons in seasons 5/6 of Buffy.

Quite honestly do the words 'and the National Guard' ever signify anything good? When the National Guard turn up it's normally a signal that things really can't get much worse. I suppose if you were under fire in Vietnam and some National Guard troops came to help you then it would be a good thing?

I take it it's Connor's blood on Angel's hands? Unless someone can correct me the last we'll ever see of Angel's convertible? Note that at the beginning of the ep Angel is holding off the horde at the door to enable his friends to escape and at the end the situation is reversed.

Marks out of 10; 7/10