Angel

Sanctuary

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 02, 2000 on The WB

• Angel having some backbone..

I love this episode mainy because Angel shows his macho side and Buffy's gobsmacked.

Plus its nice to see that Angel still get jealous when Buffy talks about being with Riley. The cross over episode in Buffy where he goes after her is nice really shows his jealous side when he punches Riley; he becomes a bit aggressive you start questioning whether he's Angelous or Angel.

I think overall the episode is good but Buffy could have made a bit more of an appearance . she could have been introduced for the whole episode rather than half way through it!
  • Just stunning

SANCTUARY

The Good;

Just when you think it can't get any better, Buffy arrives and all is good with the world.

The Bad;

All still fantastic

Best line:

NEARLY-Detective (to Kate) Everyone knows you've gone all Scully

Kate; Mulder's the believer, Scully's the skeptic

Detective; Scully's the chick, right?

but the winner, one of my favourites which I use all the time is;

Buffy; "A cry for help is when you shout 'Help, help!' in a loud voice"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

For all those afraid of needles avoid the syringe scene. Faith's daydream about killing Angel

Apocalypses: 4

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 15,

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; the popcorn scene. Plus Wes calling Angel on his decision to protect Faith.

In disguise; 3

Wes: 4

Doyle; 1

Kills:

Cordy: 3 vamps, 1 demons

Angel: 3 demons so 11 vamps, 9 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 1/2 a demon

Kate; 3 vamps

According to Boo's stats Faith has killed 16 vamps, 5 demons, 3 humans. Add another demon to the list here.

Fang Gang go evil:

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast

Angel: 1;Buffy

Kinky dinky:

Faith let's slip that she's bedded Buffy's new beau, Riley Finn. Which is news to Angel! Does Cordy not keep touch with things in Sunnydale or did she just not want to tell him?

Captain Subtext;

Buffy refers to Faith's 'pouty lips and heaving bosom', interesting she thinks of her in that way? The rooftop scene feels riven with hidden passions. Buffy refers to Riley saying she trusts him. Heading for a fall again. The Watcher's Council refer to the insult 'ponce' again.

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Kate plans to throw Angel into a cell exposed to the rising sun.

Buffy characters on Angel; 11

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla

Questions and observations;

What exactly does Angel do with the Watcher's team? Surely Kate must lock them up for turning the streets of LA into a bulletfest? Nice to see that Wes and Buffy are now on good terms, unfortunately this probably marks the nadir of the Buffy/Angel romance and the Kate/Angel relationship. Jelly doughnut's again, someone in the writing staff must have a thing for them. Buffy has the worst timing ever when walking in on Faith and Angel. How does Giles find out about Faith? Sources in the Watcher's council or do Wes or Cordy phone Sunnydale. Good acting by Wes, you really think he might have sided with the Watchers for a moment. How can Wes and Buffy just walk into the police station?

Marks out of 10; 10/10 just great, stunning

• Alternate title: How Angel got his balls back.

Now this episode was good. Everything from Faith's inner turmoil to Wesley's interaction with the council to the Buffy/Angel fight was great. This is a personal favorite of mine because Angel finally stood up to Buffy for what he knew was right and didn't hesitate to pop Buffy one in the mouth (which was way less than what the venomous B*tch deserved IMHO) to prove it.

This episode would have gotten a perfect 10 from me if it had been the official cutoff point between both shows for good, but then they had to turn Angel into a complete wuss and run to Sunnydale to apologize for something when he had nothing to apologize for, so it loses a point for that. I wish Cordy wasn't cut out of the episode so quickly, it would have been sweet to see her tear a strip out of Buffy for the way she acted, because I gaurentee you she would have chopped Buffy down to size if given the chance.
  • Buffy:The Evil Bitch Monster from Hell

I love Buffy. The show, and the character. Most of the time, at least. But Sanctuary is one of the few ep\'s that makes me HATE her. I\'m all for the B/A relationship. They\'re soulmates, yada yada yada. Those two have sacrificed so much to be together, and to be honest, I liked her the best when she was with him. Riley was annoying and whiny, and the thing is, she didn\'t love him. Spike...they had chemistry, that was for sure, but once again, she didn\'t love him, not like she did Angel. Angel is the only for her, and vice versa.
    But she is a total and utter BITCH, and deserved FAR WORSE from Angel in this ep.
    I guess I can see it from her point of view, but it doesn\'t give her ANY excuse to use Riley as a weapon:
    \"I have someone in my life now. That I love. It\'s not what you and I had. It\'s very new.You know what makes it new? I trust him. I know him.\"

Just writing those words makes my lip curl. I\'d like nothing more than to reach through the tv and smack her, wail on her for being such an EVIL BITCH!!!!!
    Ok, I\'m done. You always hurt the ones you love.
  • 'This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin, who was sent to kill the first assassin, who didn't assassinate anyone, until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.'

‘Sanctuary’ is the second part of the Faith episode. But not as good as the first part, mainly due B!tchy the vampire slayer.

The episode brings Faith in the house, Wes isn’t happy with the fact that the woman who tortured him is now eating pastries and Cordy isn’t going to wait and find out what Faith is going to do next so she goes on vacation.

I love the X-files reference that was done with Kate, she’s a great character and I think she had a lot of chemistry with Lindsey. Once again I loved the three lawyers, they are so much fun together trying to get rid of Angel and failing, then trying to get rid of faith and failing again. All three have their qualities but I prefer Lindsey the most.

Through the episode, Angel tries to help Faith and they have fantastic scenes together which makes this episode so good. The scene where Angel takes away Faiths knife, and the one where he explains her about pain and what she is going to have to go through while she just wanted him to explain how the microwave worked.

The episode is brilliant until annoying blond shows up, Buffy was a big pain in the ass through the entire episode, everything she said sounded like whine noises and especially when she used Riley to hurt Angel and when she hit Angel only because he was protecting Faith,

Another very irritating part were those three amazingly annoying council guys who managed to piss me off plenty of times, I couldn’t enjoy their scenes with Wesley even though I did enjoy watching them being hit, kicked and squashed.

When Angel is caught by the police by not telling where Faith is, she is the one that gives herself in and makes the confession. She really came through and went into jail to find her own peace.

This episode was a great example of a good storyline but a bit hard to watch because of some very irritating buzzes. Faith was a big blast and every scene with her was classic, Buffy in the other hand deserved more than being tortured, maimed and murdered. She was a big pain in the ass just like the council guys and I’m glad that neither ever came back.

• Overall, this episode was a difficult test of Angel’s resolve to find redemption through helping others and how that must necessarily change his relationship with others.

The second part of this story is remarkably different from the first, and feels more like the conclusion to the “Buffy” episode “Who Are You” than a direct follow-up to “Five by Five”. As crossover events go, this is far more integrated than the whole “I Will Remember You” episode, based entirely on the consequences. This is really where Buffy and Angel complete the process that began at the end of the third season of “Buffy”, which of course, was also prompted by Faith.

It would have been easy for Angel to have all the answers, but the writers use this situation to establish where Angel is in terms of his own personal search for redemption. This is effectively an opportunity for Angel to reflect on the past year in Los Angeles and figure out where he’s going. The answer is simple: he really doesn’t know, but he’s quite certain that it can’t be on anyone else’s terms.

The episode is chaotic enough to make the character dynamics a bit difficult to grasp. It all seems jumbled, especially when Buffy arrives and the main thrust of the story is revealed. Angel takes most of the episode trying to convince Faith that she wants to find her own solution, but since he’s largely doing everything to stop her from running away and avoiding that process, it doesn’t translate very well.

But once Buffy comes along, the question of Faith is given scope. Is it about justice or revenge, which imposes an external judgment upon a person and actually can help them avoid any process of self-reflection, or is it about taking responsibility? Buffy and Kate want to impose judgment, which allows Faith to become a victim again.

Angel recognizes the danger in that. Faith’s issue is that she has great power, but no sense of responsibility for its application. Any moment of obligation is met with a snarl, offense as defense mechanism. That’s been Faith in a nutshell. When Buffy tried to give Faith what she really needed, Faith became threatened. And when Faith is threatened, she reacts as the primal instincts of the Slayer demand she react: with violence.

This is why Faith wanted Angel to kill her when she recognized that everything she hated was in herself. It’s the only way she’s ever known. Taking responsibility and feeling the pain of remorse and regret are new concepts. It’s about convincing her to see that path as the correct one. Buffy cannot do that, and certainly the Watchers wouldn’t recognize her needs. Angel sees that very clearly, based on his own experience, but he really doesn’t know how to communicate that to others.

Ironically, Buffy was the one that set Angel on this path, back in the “Buffy” episode “Amends”. But Buffy is also dealing with her own questions of self-identity, and soon after this, she seeks to discover the source of her own Slayer legacy. Buffy, in essence, doesn’t deal in rehabilitation. She doesn’t care whether or not a vampire or other demonic entity can be reformed at this point, even if she knows that demons are not necessarily evil. It’s just not in her nature to assume that something dangerous, especially someone like Faith, can change and just needs help. (Ironically, everything that Faith says about how it feels to lose control is exactly what happens to Buffy in the sixth season of her series.)

Angel has to believe in that possibility of change and redemption, because it’s all he has to keep going. It’s at the heart of his being. So when Buffy and Angel come at odds throughout the episode, it’s not as simple as the history of those three characters. It’s about dueling philosophies and which one should apply to Faith in her moment of weakness. Angel wins the day when Faith takes responsibility and makes the choice herself. It becomes the transformative moment that takes Faith on her redemptive journey back to the light, which culminates in the fourth season of “Angel” and the final season of “Buffy”.

Wesley’s action actually fit within the context of dueling philosophies, because in this instance, Buffy and the Watchers are on the same side. Wesley is offered the tempting chance to abandon the idea of redemption and go for the immediate gratification of vengeance. He’s even offered a reward for turning his back on the concept of redemption. Seen in that respect, it’s easy to recognize that his insistence on keeping Angel out of harm’s way is a direct indication of his true design.

This is why Wesley tells Angel that he didn’t decide to help Faith, but rather, he betrayed the Watchers for Angel. He was referring to the philosophy that Angel champions, which is the way he has adopted. Wesley is at his darkest when he has reason to doubt that philosophy, as seen in later seasons, but at this point, Angel is putting his existence on the line for an enemy, all in the name of reclaiming a soul from the darkness. Is it any wonder that Wesley betrayed the Watchers?

Speaking of the Watchers, the idea of a black ops division of the Watchers is not the most credible one. It works a little better in this context, however, because of the thematic role they play in Angel’s world. On “Buffy”, they were simply a roadblock, which little or no thematic relevance. The idea of secret Watcher assassins is still rather amusing, but at least their menace fits “Angel” well.

Wolfram and Hart serve a dual purpose. Part of the season arc, however modified it might have been, was always for Angel to become more and more their enemy. As the scope of the series and its future became more clear to Joss and his writing staff, they recognized that Angel had to do something extraordinary to force the firm’s hand. This episode provides much of the motivation for the events at the end of the season.

But Wolfram and Hart also provides another source of pressure on Faith. It’s not enough to have Buffy and the Watchers trying to gain vengeance. Faith also has to know that the forces of darkness are just as willing to put her down. In this case, it’s a question of survival. It would be easy for Faith to let Wolfram and Hart’s assassin kill her and be done with it all. The assassin and her reaction to it affirms her desire to live through the process and make things right.

Inevitably, this episode is strongly disliked because of what it does to the Buffy/Angel relationship. It doesn’t seem to matter that these same issues were introduced much earlier in the third season of “Buffy”. What it does do, at least from an overall perspective, is establish how the changes in the fourth season of “Buffy” and Buffy’s isolating relationship with Riley, as well as the progress of Angel’s redemption, combine to set them at odds. Faith’s arrival in Los Angeles is the catalyst for Buffy and Angel to have a painful yet necessary face-off under the worst of conditions, and this episode serves that purpose well.
  • Angel begins rehabilitating Faith, who is actually willing, and trying to teach her how to say sorry, and be sorry, but that may fail when the Watcher\'s Council tries to get Wesley to betray Angel. Also, Buffy comes to L.A., looking for vengeance.

This is my favorite episode of the first season. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. This episode actually makes you feel sorry for Faith, which is something you would never have expected. Also, we get to see a completely new side of Buffy, that\'s kind of scary to see.

It was well-written, exciting, and a pleasure to watch.
  • Faith changes

After the big fight between Angel and Faith, Angel brings Faith home and begins helping her become a renewed person. In the middle of the episode Buffy returns and just want to stick it to Faith. The Watcher's Counsil are here to bring Faith back to England (as in Who Are You?). The Counsil closes in and Faith turns herself in to the Police. At the end Buffy and Faith have a not-so-pleasant talk.

All in all this a fabulous conclusion the 4-part Faith story arch. Such an awesome Faith-centric episode. A series favorite for me.
  • oh look. it's the evil blond b#tch!

this could have been another fantastic episode because of faith dealing with what she has done. and the three lawyers coming together. but noooo buffy had to show up and screw it up. her face and just everything was extrenely annoying! and how she had to come down to angel and make him feel worse. i really wish she would have died. i really liked faith here. she grew up and kne wthat she had to go to jail to pay for what she did. and she did it. good girl! the episode was pretty good execpt for the annoying beeyoch that is buffy
  • Buffy comes back to L.A. to even the score with Faith.

Awesome episode. Faith is staying with Angel in order to hide out from the police and Wolfram & Hart. W&H is none too happy that their paid assassin failed and is now co-habitating with the intended target. Cordelia makes a smart move and takes a vacation far away from Angel and Co. while Faith is around. Wes feels betrayed by Angel, and who can blame him? Angel is harboring the woman who almost tortured him to death. Then as if things arent exciting enough, Buffy shows up at exactly the wrong moment and witnesses Angel comforting Faith. Buffy wants blood, but all she manages to do is hit Angel and get hit back (ouch!) The goons from the watchers council are hot on Faiths tail and they show up ready to capture and kill Faith. They think Wes is on their side, but he helps Angel instead. The ending was the best part; Faith turns herself in and is ready to serve her time. Buffy, on the other hand, goes back to Sunnydale in a bad mood.
  • Buffy, Angel, Faith triangle.

7.8
    Once again we visit though oh so disturbing place where Angel, Faith, and Angel fight, fight, hit eachother some, and then fight some more. It's great fun! Faith, having decided not to kill Angel and have a nervous breakdown instead is taken in by Angel himself, looking to help. To the dismay of Cordy and Wesley of course, who are sporting some seriously painful injuries at her hand. When Buffy arrives things only get more complicated as the team that tried to capture Faith in Sunnydale have returned again, looking to try again. Fortunately though, they don't need to. Faith, in probably her only true moment of decency, turns herself in to the police.
  • Absolutely wonderful!

There are so many great parts in this episode. I liked when faith siad to buffy "B I'm s-" and then buffy was all "you apologisy to me i will beat you to death" then faith said "go ahead" Later faith and Buffy were on the roof top. and Buffy was yelling at Faith and she said "I've lost battles befor but nobody else has ever made me a victom." and Faith was all "And you can't stand that. You're all about control. You have no idea what it's like on the other side. Where nothings in control nothing makes sense. There's just pain and hate and nothing you do means anything! You can't even-" Buffy interrupts her saying "Shut up" then Faith says "Just tell me how to make it better." At the end of the episode Angel yells at Buffy telling her to go home. It was great. At the very end when Angel and Wesley are talking Wes was all "I hope she's strong enough to make it. Peace is not an easy thing to find." Angel says "She has a chance" GREAT EPISODE!!! Those are my favorite parts in that episode. Plus it has Eliza Dushku in it and she's the best!!!
  • ALERT! Step away from the Jealous Ex-Girlfriend From Hell!

Sanctuary-Buffy comes to Los Angeles seeking vengeance under the guise of protecting Angel from Faith's violent nature, but Buffy is shocked and hurt to discover her former love siding with her nemesis as he attempts to shelter her. Meanwhile, Wesley is faced with a crisis of loyalties when the Watcher's Council offers a chance at reinstatement if he gives up Faith.

A solid follow up to Five by Five, we get to see how Faith is struggling with her new found revelation and Angel trying to set her on a new path. The scenes between Faith and Angel are masterfully played by David and Eliza, with both characters identifying with each other's past. It was also great seeing Wolfram and Hart send that goofy looking demon after Faith and the beaten up lawyer from last week being just hilarious. It's also funny seeing Cordelia tricking Angel to get her own vacation because of Faith. Everything was handled well after last episode, expect for Buffy's reappearence and having this uncontrolable attitude! Instead of coming off as a close friend wanting to help Angel, she comes off as the cliche jealous ex-girlfriend who doesn't want Angel to touch anything that has breasts besides her! Uhh, Buffy you got a man already, stop b!%ching! I mean Sarah played the part well as usual, but it seems the writers were trying to turn us off from Buffy. Her coming into town forcing her opinion on like everyone trying to help Faith was against her, not to mention her telling Angel about Riley only to hurt him...WHAT? Angel had good right to go off on her and chase her out of town. Also, those killer watchers stop by to claim Faith once again which is tired and Kate stops by to arrest Angel, still being a b!%tch to him for no reason at all...EHW! But it was a great scene with Faith finally facing up to her crimes and going to jail, but fear not, this isn't the end of Faith, not even close. All and All, a great episode because of Angel and Faith, despite a very bitter final appearence for Buffy on Angel.
  • the return of the two slayers.

now that angel has "saved" faith from herself, they go to his home. butty comes in to find her former lover hugging faith, her enemy. she is hurt because all the things faith has done to her and her love is cuddling with her. but angel is actually trying to help faith get better, buffy does not understand that. angel and faith have a lot in common, bith having bad pasts. elsewhere cordy tricks angel into letting her go on vacation. and the watchers council sends wesley after faith. they want him to capture her. he agrees, but in the end betrays the council. and faith turns herself in so angel does not go to jail. i cant believe kate, she was going to kill him, she knew he was a vampire. this episode had a few funny parts. when faith told angel she slept with buffys boyfriend. and hes like you didnt sleep with me, and she told him it was her other boyfriend. she was so hurt. the council calling wesley names was very funny with their accents. buffy and faith fighting was also pretty cool. awesome episode.
  • Angel is helping Faith sort out her life and Buffy appears.

Sanctuary is the follow up to Five by Five. Was it as good? No, but it was still pretty damn amazing. The story continued right where we left off, with Angel taking Faith to his apartment. She's still pretty psychotic, having short visions of her killing him. The whole episode deals with Faith's psychotic impuluses and how she must get over them and be sorry for all the murders and crimes she's commited. It's probably a lot more serious than Five by Five and whilst still being excellent, it's just not as good. Sanctuary follows Faith's redemption and finally gets her to feel sorry for all the hurt she's caused, so much so she hands herself over to the police. Eliza Dushku was fantastic as always. Faith needs to learn to say sorry and mean it- and she does so. A problem I have with this episode is the way the writers made Buffy seem like a childish brat who thinks of herself only. Buffy is nothing like this and she deliberately sets out to hurt Angel in this episode which she wouldn't do. She was written quite badly and Joss wrote her scenes! She also said she loved Riley- also wrong. As seen in BtVS, she never loved Riley and kept pushing him away.

Cordelia was only in one scene of this which is probably a good move- she doesn't really fit in with the story. Wesley again showed his courage by defying the three gun toting men from the Watcher's Council. The action scenes at the end were very good and suitably epic- the scene where Angel jumps onto the helicopter was really good. Kate was very annoying in this episode also with her whole arresting Angel thing. A bad decision, as I liked her previous to this episode.

The last scene with Faith looking peaceful in her prison cell was a great ending to the Faith arc. She is finally on the road to redemption and even though she could easily break out, she doesn't. Sanctuary was an excellent episode and a good followup to Five by Five and the brilliant end to the Faith arc (well until Season 4 anyway).
  • Sanctuary is a not-to-be-missed episode that centers around Faith and her regrets and inner turmoil.

Sanctuary is an episode filled with drama, regret, and petty rivalries. *Spoiler for earlier episode* This episode takes place right after 'Five by Five' where Faith, rogue vampire slayer, is hired to kill Angel and in the end she has a complete emotional breakdown and is unable to complete her task. In Sanctuary we pick up almost right where 'Five by Five' left off and now Faith is trying to gain some control over her life and is letting Angel help her. Angel takes care of her, much to the protesting of Wesley and Cordelia, and lets her stay with him until she can find her way. She has trouble trying to come to terms with all that she has done to the people around her and to make it worse, her old pal Buffy decides to pay a visit and is looking for revenge for all of the pain Faith caused her and her friends before she came to L.A to kill Angel. Buffy and Angel lock horns over Faith; Angel is trying to protect her while Buffy just wants to hurt her and can't see why Angel feels the need to help her. In the end, Faith turns herself into police (they have been hunting her ever since she escaped Sunnydale) and some dust settles between Angel and Buffy, but not before there is one last yelling match between the two with Angel telling Buffy to "get out of my city". This episode is one of my favorites as it shows the true dynamic of the relationships between Faith and Angel, how they are both on the road to redemption because of their dark pasts; between Buffy and Angel, making it final that they will never be together again; and between Faith and Buffy; that they will always have their hatred of each other, yet accept each other's mistakes. Sanctuary marks the episode where Faith finally accepts what she has done and is working towards reforming. She accepts the consequences and is even happy to be going to prison to pay for her crimes, finally being able to "turn her life around" so to speak. This episode holds a type of closure that bundles several conflicts into one and settles them all within 42 minutes of seamless, great television.
  • Sanctuary

Sanctuary was a perfect and classic episode of Angel's first season. I really enjoyed watching this episode because we got to see the begining of Faith feeling remorse and wanting to change. Meanwhile the Lawyers at Wolfram and Hart have plans of their own which backfire in quite amusing ways. I definitely think the humor that made Buffy a great show has carried over to Angel's series to continue delivery with such great characters. I thought it was fitting how The Council, The Police, and Buffy were all closing in on Faith. It was cool to see all the various characters have paths which intersect like this. I can't wait to see what happens next!!!!!!!