Angel

Slouching Toward Bethlehem

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2002 on The WB

• Slouching Toward Bethlehem

Slouching Toward Bethlehem was a perfect and classic episode of Angel and it takes the series to a whole new level. I really enjoyed watching this episode as Cordelia has returned without her memory while Angel and the Gang try to hide the whole truth from her. I enjoyed how things played out in the multiple story lines which came together. I like how Connor was honest and up front with Cordelia, and her trust and friendship in return. I thought Lorne trying to read Cordelia was interesting as were the results. Wesley continues his relations with Lilah while she plays him. I think all the characters are interesting and I like how they all connect. I look forward to the next episode!!!!!!!
  • cordelia is back!!!!!!!!!

one of the best of this season because it was fanatisc and cordelia is back and she makes the show but she does not remember but thats ok because she still rocks anyway

the episode was funny with cordy beeeing confused and singing a lot she eventually goes with connor and have a good chemestry and they should marry! i really like lilah in season 4 and wesley too but i hated them early in the show but they are great together and made this episode better and better
  • Another huge installment. Cordy is back in better than always...with amnesia and everything. Charisma looked beautiful and did a great job. character devolpment for everyone again. there were so many good things about it and Cordy moving in with Connor be

Slouching Toward Bethlehem

A big classic episode that is very underrated. all the characters had their moment. and Cordy is back with amnesia which gave us a hilarious episode with dark and emotional moments. plus Charisma looked beautiful. Connor also finally got a lot of screen time. the Wes/Lilah relationship kept growing which was awesome. so many good this about this episode. it was one of Cordy's biggest classics.

cut to some people on a car that Connor is suddenly next to and some vampires arrive and want to kill them but Connor kills the vampires and the man goes back to his family and that's what Connor always wanted. he goes to the hotel and he sees Cordy and the gang see her and ask her to stay with her but she doesn't know anyone and asks if they're he friends and then 'okay who am I?'

the credits start

cut to them going to Cordy and Fred thinks she has amnesia. Cordy sees Connor going away and Lorne almost enters but Gunn takes him away. Fred and Angel to into the office and Cordy is freaked out and she sees a knife. when they come out the phone rings and she hears her voice and someone who talks about a demon broad and Fred takes the phone and tells Angel she's sending Gunn over there and that it was the man's wife. Fred leaves and Angel looks at Cordy and she says she wants to go home. cut to her room and Angel tells her what happened and he wants her to remember but she can't and she wants to be alone now and then she practise calling her name in front of the mirror and then looks at pictures and reads her schoolbook where people say weird things like flaming arrows and she doesn't understand. on one picture she's with Angel and a baby and she doesn't know who's baby that is.

she goes to walk in the halls and hears someone singing and goes away and Lorne looks outside and there is this guy inside who's weird. she goes downstairs where Angel is drinking blood and takes it all away and Cordy finds a bloodstain and then Gunn and Fred come in saying that they murdered babies and Cordy hides and she's afraid and stands up and wants to leave but sees all those swords. she goes out where some guys attack her but she and Angel knock them all out. she thinks she's a spy but Angel tells her she's save and among friends. and that the Cordy they know is very much at home. cut to her room and she asks if she's a mom and shows Angel the baby but he says it's Connor his son but it's not her child and then they almost kiss and she asks if she was a nun because she finds crosses and he turns into a vampire and she screams and runs away when she bumps into Lorne and he scares her more but Angel stop her and they say they are going to tell her everything now.

cut to a room after she hears everything and she thinks it was weird and now she knows why she doesn't remember. because who'd want to. Lorne tells her to sing and he comes more greener than usual and he goes away and Angel after him and Cordy is frustrated and she wants to be alone without Fred and Gunn. Angel goes over to Lorne and he says it was that bad and it was horrifying and that evil is coming and it's planning on staying. cut to Wes and Lilah and they talk about Cordy and that Angel knows about them and Wesley says he couldn't care about their relationship and he says he lost the bet and now he has to give her a dollar. they look awesome together. cut to Cordy looking for Angel when she's attacked by a flesh eating demon and she runs and Connor fights him and kills it and says she's not save there and she goes away with him.

cut to the gang seeing the demon but Lorne says that wasn't it and Angel says they have to find Cordy because she must be terrified. cut to Cordy and Connor in a museum and she asks for his name and he says it's Connor and she thinks it's Angels son and he is and he almost killed Angel and her but she's thankful because he's the first that's honest with her and it means a lot. cut to Lilah being called and she goes to the bathroom and Wesley hears it and says that Cordy is gone to Connor and she has to go to work and she leaves and Wes heard everything. cut to Cordy and Connor and she tells him not to go and that she says she doesn't have anything inside but he knows what she likes and she has the impression that he lost everything too but he says he had nothing to loose. she tells him that she trusts him and to not go away. he stays there close to her. cut to the hotel and they nee to find her and Wes arrives and he knows she's with Connor but Angel is not really concerned.

cut to Cordy and Connor in bed when Connor tells her they are gonna be attacked and some guys come in and they start to fight. Connor and Cordy fight them all but it's to much and they knock them out but Angel and his gang come in to fight the rest. Lilah is watching everything through a camera and tells them to go away again and the guys leave and Angel tells Cordy to go back with him but she wants to stay with Connor cause he’s the only one who has told her the truth and that's what she needs right now. so Angel and the gang leave. cut to the gang coming over to the hotel and they find Lorne and he tells them that a demon sucked everything out his head and got everything and Gunn blames Wes but Angel says that W&H has now everything they needed to know. cut to Wes going over to Lilah and he says she played him but she says he played himself and chose to go with what he heard. and that because Lorne is his friend she didn't kill him. Wesley says it's never simple. cut to Connor watching Cordy sleep and cut to Angel watching an empty bed.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Gunn: OK, but three is where I draw the
    Angel: Cordelia?
    Cordelia: Who are you people?
    Angel: My God! It's you. You're back. Don't you remember? Angel. Um, you see her too, right? I'm not just
    Gunn: No, man, it's real.
    Angel: It's OK. We're friends. You know us. Fred. Gunn. You're dazed or something must Thank God you're back.
    Cordelia: So we know each other?
    Angel: Yeah, really well.
    Cordelia: OK, um... who am I?

Angel: What do you remember?
    Cordelia: I don't know. Numbers. Animals. Flossing.
    Angel: But not us.
    Cordelia: Or me. I don't remember me.
    Angel: You're Cordelia Chase. You work here. With us. You've been gone for a while, but you're safe now. It's OK. We-we're friends. We're here to help you.
    Cordelia: I've been gone?
    Angel: What's important is that you're back?
    Cordelia: Are there other people here?
    Fred: Um, not to sound all "Movie of the Week", but I think you might have some kind of amnesia. Like maybe you fell or banged your head.
    Gunn: Should we take her to a hospital?
    Cordelia: Hospital? I don't need a Not yet, maybe later.
    Fred: I don't think seeing a doctor will solve her problems.
    Angel: Neither will seeing green. You wanna know what might help you remember? Seeing some of your things. You wanna check for her things out in the garden?
    Gunn: Checking away.
    Angel: Hey, Fred. You wanna help me look in the office?
    Fred: Sure. Excuse us.
    Angel: That could've been a disaster. Hi. Welcome back, you're safe. By the way, there's a green demon right behind you.
    Fred: Don't you think we should tell her? I mean we do live in a world of demons and icky things. She's bound to find out.
    Angel: Well, yeah, sure, but I mean let's be smart. I want her to remember who I am before I freak her out with the whole undead, drinks blood part of my resume.
    Fred: Angel, aren't you curious about why she's back?
    Angel: I hadn't even I was just so happy to see her. Why is she back?
    Fred: I don't know. But if Cordy's been where I think she has, anything's possible.
    Cordelia: OK, that's creepy. So's that.
    Angel: Couldn't really find anything of yours in the office.
    Cordelia: That's OK. Shouldn't someone answer that?
    Angel: The machine'll get it. You really don't have to be afraid.
    Cordelia: Easy for you to say. I don't know that. Don't know you, this place... Hi. You've reached Angel Investigations. We can't come to the phone right now, but if you leave your name and number, we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! And wait for the beep. But that voice Oh, my God! It's me. I work here.
    Murray: Uh, yeah, this is Murray, down at the spa. Listen, it's after midnight, and uh, you better get down here. That demon broad came back. Looks like she's gonna try and hatch her blood-sucking little
    Fred: We're here. Uh-huh. OK. We'll be right there.
    Cordelia: Did he say "demon broad"?
    Fred: Yeah. His, um, wife. It's an ugly divorce case thing. You know, private eye stuff. I should get Charles and terminate it before the situation multiplies.
    Angel: OK. I'll just stay here and help Cordelia settle in.
    Fred: Ok.
    Angel: So
    Cordelia: I wanna go home. Know where I live?

Cordelia: This is it? Everything?
    Angel: Fred and Gunn, they moved everything over from your old apartment after you You remember that? You wore it when we went to the ballet.
    Cordelia: The ballet? For real? You and me?
    Angel: We all went, but yeah. Pretty special. I thought maybe you'd remember because... It's too bad. We had, uh, a really good time. Working together too.
    Cordelia: I wish I could remember.
    Angel: Me too. I wanna help you get those memories back.
    Cordelia: Great. But not tonight.
    Angel: I-I understand. If you need any
    Cordelia: I will.
    Angel: You really are among friends.
    Cordelia: Cordelia. Hi. I'm Cordy. I'm Cordelia Chase. I'm Just breathe. Just breathe. Sunnydale. OK, popular. No real surprise there. "Cordelia, homeroom was fun. Too bad it burnt to the ground." What? "Hey, how 'bout that giant snake."
    "Dear Cordelia, thanks for the flaming arrows." Flaming arrows?

Cordelia: Hello? Somebody down here? Hello? Oh, my God.
    Gunn: How much do I hate those little babies?
    Fred: Tell me about it. I couldn't squish-squash fast enough.
    Gunn: I know we get paid to do it, but that's the kind of mayhem I would do for free.
    Fred: I'm gonna be washing their teeny brains out of my hair for a week.
    Gunn: Hang on. Turn around.
    Fred: What is it?
    Gunn: You don't even want to know. Just hold still.
    Fred: Charles, we should go upstairs. Cordelia doesn't want to know we do this kind of exterminating.
    Gunn: Hang on, almost got it. When do you think fang boy's gonna come clean with her, huh? Spill the really real?
    Fred: I'm sure the time will present itself It's OK. Cordelia...
    Angel: I can explain.
    Cordelia: Wow. How did I?I am a spy. I get it now. You're all spies. Probably all Russian. And you've brainwashed me, and want me to believe we're friends so I'll spill the beans about some nano-techno-thingy that you want.
    Gunn: So... I look Russian to you?
    Cordelia: Black Russian.
    Angel: That's a drink.
    Cordelia: Says the head spy.
    Angel: Nobody here is a spy. Those two guys are lawyers weird as that may seem from Wolfram and Hart. They must know you're back. We'll have to keep her in the hotel so she's safe
    Cordelia: Safe? Is that some kind of joke? Your friends here were just talking about murdering children. And there's-there's-there's singing and blood and-and pointy things. And did I mention the singing? I mean, what the hell is going on here, Angie?
    Angel: Angel.
    Cordelia: Whatever.
    Angel: I know things seem weird. Maybe even scary. But you have to believe me when I tell you we're trying to do everything we can to help you get through this difficult time. The Cordelia that we know the person who you're trying to remember is very much at home here, bizarre as that may seem. So I ask you to look inside, to believe me when I tell you that you're safe and you're among friends who only want the best for you.
    Cordelia: I believe you.

Cordelia: So, I'm not a spy?
    Angel: No.
    Cordelia: Am I a mom?
    Angel: That's my son. That's Connor. But no, you're not his mother.
    Cordelia: So, we weren't a happy family?
    Angel: Not like that.
    Cordelia: And you and me? We weren't
    Angel: Weren't...
    Cordelia: Together?
    Angel: Not exactly.
    Cordelia: Was I a nun?
    Angel: A what?
    Cordelia: Were we not a happy family because I was a nun?

Cordelia: That's... everything? It all makes perfect sense now. I was a cheerleader, a princess and a warrior. And I have visions and super powers and I'm the target of an evil law firm because I've spent the last three months living on a higher plane, fighting for the forces of good, who wage a battle against demons and evilies and squishy bug babies, 'cause all that stuff's real and that's the world I live in. And I think I know why I don't remember any of this 'cause, hey who'd want to!
    Lorne: Um, sea breeze?
    Angel: I know it's a lot to take in.
    Cordelia: Says the vampire with a soul and his wacky gang of sidekicks.
    Gunn: Um, not a sidekick.
    Angel: I think there's a way we might be able to sort this out. Pick a song.
    Cordelia: Yeah What?
    Fred: So Lorne can read you.
    Gunn: You sing, he sees your future.
    Angel: Hopefully he'll be able to explain what's happened and how we can get your memory back.
    Cordelia: I can't just sing. I-I don't even know if I'm even musical. Am I?
    Gunn: Sure? You remember any songs?
    Cordelia: W-well, there's so many. How do I pick?
    Angel: It doesn't really matter. I'm kinda a ballad man myself, but, uh... just pick anything.
    Cordelia: Because the greatest love of all is happening to me. I've found the greatest love of all inside of me. The greatest love of all is easy to achieve. Learning to love yourself
    Fred: Does he look a little green to you... I mean, more than usual?
    Lorne: Uh, great, enough. OK! You were great. You were great. E-everything's great. We're all just, uh... I see, uh, a very, very, um...
    Cordelia: Was I really that bad?
    Angel: Wasn't you. It was... the song. It reminds him of... um...
    Cordelia: Oh, come on! You guys aren't even good liars. This is ridiculous.
    Gunn: Where you going?
    Cordelia: Out. Away. Does it matter?
    Fred: But it's not safe.
    Cordelia: Oh, right, 'cause of evil ninja law firm.
    Gunn: We'll come with, just in case.
    Cordelia: You keep telling me I was a higher being. Don't make me turn you into a rat.
    Gunn: Can she do that?
    Fred: Um... come on. How 'bout a sandwich. Let's go to the kitchen.
    Gunn: We have cookies.
    Cordelia: I don't want a sandwich. I don't want cookies. I wanna talk to Angel, sans sidekicks.
    Gunn: I am not a sidekick.

Angel: Lorne. Talk to me. What'd you see?
    Lorne: Go away.
    Angel: If it's that bad, I need to know.
    Lorne: It's that bad. G'night.
    Angel: I need details.
    Lorne: I got none. Just a splitting migraine, a tummy full of rattlesnakes, and a strong suspicion I'm gonna lose my lunch again if I don't start drinking myself silly.
    Angel: C'mon, Lorne. You gotta give me something.
    Lorne: Do the words "slouching towards Bethlehem" ring a bell? Or how about despair, torment, terror? And I'm not referring to little missy's choice of song, either, although that was horrifying in its own right. What I saw was jumbled. It was pieces, flashes. It was enough to make my skin crawl away and scamper under the bed. Evil's coming, Angel, and it's planning on staying.

Lilah: It's not a secret.
    Wesley: What isn't a secret?
    Lilah: Us. The firm knows that we're... doing this.
    Wesley: Isn't it their job to know this sort of thing. The sordid details of their employees lives.
    Lilah: Mmm... Yeah, I just thought I should tell you. Sordid. Rrreow. Angel knows too.
    Wesley: I don't work for Angel anymore. And I could care less what he thinks.
    Lilah: You faker. That's what you said when he was sleeping with the fishes. We both know how that played out.
    Wesley: That was different. So Angel knows about our relationship. Big deal.
    Lilah: A dollar. You owe me a dollar.
    Wesley: Oh, damn!
    Lilah: You called this a relationship. You lost the bet. You said it first. Sign it first, as proof.
    Wesley: Proof of what?
    Lilah: Of now. Of this.

Cordelia: How cool is that?
    Connor: I love that one. I wish I'd killed it.
    Cordelia: Kind of a funny way to express your affection. I love you... bang, you're dead. I gotta ask, why were you at the hotel? You live there?
    Connor: No.
    Cordelia: Just decided to drop by?
    Connor: I saw you were back.
    Cordelia: So, we know each other? We're friends?
    Connor: You were nice to me once.
    Cordelia: What about the others? You friends with them?
    Connor: This way.
    Cordelia: Um, if we're gonna be climbing ladders together, maybe, I don't know, you could throw a name at me.
    Connor: Connor.
    Cordelia: Connor? Really, that's funny, Angel has a baby named Connor. Did he name it af Oh, my God. You're him. You're Angel's son.
    Connor: It's not like I got to choose.
    Cordelia: What is this place?
    Connor: Home.
    Cordelia: This is home? If you're Angel's son, why don't you live with him?
    Connor: They didn't tell you? I sunk him to the bottom of the ocean... to punish him.
    Cordelia: You're serious.
    Connor: I tried to kill you too. I was new to this world. Didn't understand. Put a knife to your throat. Sorry.
    Cordelia: Thank you. You're the first person who's been straight with me. 'S told me the truth. Means a lot.

Cordelia: You're not leaving.
    Connor: I thought you were sleeping.
    Cordelia: Just, don't go, OK?
    Connor: I'm locking the door. You're safe.
    Cordelia: Then why am I so scared? I'm trying to remember little things. Do I have brothers and sisters? What's my favorite food? Who was my first kiss? There's nothing there. Just an empty... Do you know how lonely that makes me feel?
    Connor: You like shoes. And donuts. And you're very brave.
    Cordelia: Really? Donuts?
    Connor: And, you're brave.
    Cordelia: When was I brave?
    Connor: Now. Tonight. You lost everything and you're still strong.
    Cordelia: I have this horrible feeling that something bad is going to happen. Or maybe has happened. And I can't remember it. And I don't know what to do or who to trust except you. I don't know why, but I trust you. Why do I get the feeling that you've lost everything too?
    Connor: I had nothing to lose.
    Cordelia: Don't go too far, OK?

Gunn: That's right, monkey boys. Don't mess with the big dog! (to Angel and Fred) It's better than sidekick.
    Angel: Did they hurt you? Are you OK?
    Cordelia: Yeah, I'm OK.
    Connor: I didn't expect so many.
    Angel: You tried. I appreciate it. And I really like what you've, um, done with the...nice. We should probably get you back home.
    Cordelia: Actually, I'd like to stay here. With Connor.
    Angel: I don't think that's the best idea. Connor's a great fighter. I helped train him. But you need more than just muscle right now.
    Cordelia: You're right. I need someone who won't lie to me... like you did. All of you, I know you were trying to help, but the truth is the only way to do that, and that's what Connor's given to me.
    Angel: Keep her safe.

Fred: If it makes you feel better, I would have chosen you.
    Angel: Thanks. But no, it doesn't.
    Gunn: Hey, just remember, man, that's not really Cordy well, not all of her.
    Angel: Maybe she's right. Maybe we should've spilled everything from the start, you know? Played it all card-up.
    Gunn: You mean demons and monsters and vamps card-up? Wouldn't've worked.
    Fred: She's confused is all. Give her time. She'll see the truth: who the real champion is.
    Gunn: Damn straight! If Team Angel hadn't shown up with a little clobbering time, Wolfram and Hart would've nabbed her and probably
    Fred: Oh, my God!
    Angel: Lorne?
    Fred: Is he alive?
    Angel: What happened? Who did this?
    Lorne: W...
    Gunn: Wesley? Not again.
    Angel: Wolfram and Hart.
    Gunn: OK, but-but why? I thought Cordy was their target.
    Angel: They must've known Lorne read her.
    Gunn: OK wait, so are you saying that the slam dance at Connor's place was a decoy?
    Angel: And we fell for it like a bunch of rookies. They weren't after Cordy, they were after what Lorne saw when she sang.
    Fred: They sucked it out of his head?
    Lorne: Mm-hmm.
    Angel: How much? What'd they get?
    Lorne: They had they had a demon. I-I wouldn't talk. And the thing burrowed... inside. And took Cordy out.
    Angel: Lorne, how much did they get?
    Lorne: All of it.
    Fred: They tricked us.
    Gunn: Wolfram and Hart or Wesley. He's the one who showed up with the hot tip about Junior. How do we know he's not the one playing us?
    Angel: We don't. But what we do know is that Wolfram and Hart may now know more about Cordy's doom and gloom thing than we do. And that's a problem.

Lilah: Ooh. A drop-by. That's a surprise.
    Wesley: Is it?
    Lilah: Well, that it took you so long, yeah.
    Wesley: You played me.
    Lilah: You played yourself.
    Wesley: On the phone, you wanted me to hear that so I would tell Angel.
    Lilah: Free will. Look it up.
    Wesley: Lilah...
    Lilah: I was just doing my job. You're the one who decided to take what you overheard and give it to the good-n-plentys. So before you go all righteous fury, figure out who you're really mad at here.
    Wesley: What was the real plan?
    Lilah: Let's just say, I could've had Lorne's brain in a jar, but I left it in his head 'cause he's a friend of yours.
    Wesley: What's that supposed to do? Lull me into trusting you again?
    Lilah: If I'd thought you'd ever trust me, I would've never played you like that.
    Wesley: It's never simple, is it?

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 10
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 10
    My Rank: 10
    Total: 10
  • Cordelia's back!

Slouching Toward Bethlehem could have been a great episode. It should have been a great episode. It had the return of Cordelia, plenty of action and Lilah at her evil best. Yet it's not great. It's actually quite dull at times.

I am extremely thankful Cordelia's back, even though she has amnesia and is completely uninteresting the entire episode. Cordy's my favourite main character and I rarely find her boring but here she was just... meh. The whole episode felt like it was just going round and round in circles and hardly anything new had been achieved at the end except Cordy was living with Connor. It was about Cordelia finding out who she was again and while it was necessary, it wasn't great to watch. We already know her life so hearing it again isn't exactly thrilling. I just felt like screaming at the T.V. "Just tell her everything Angel!". Cordelia attempts escape not once, not twice but three times this episode. It was just complete unnecessary to see her running around the hotel lots. Also, I dislike her attitude at the end when she's all "Connor's the only one not lying". What did she expect, Angel to tell her he was a vampire and that demons and forces of hell actually exist in the first five minutes of her returning with no memory? She was just annoying here.

Also the scene where Lorne reads Cordelia could have been a LOT more suspenseful, especially if they had included a snippet of The Beast at the end, which would have really set things up. However all we got was "Something evil's coming". When is something evil NOT coming? We could have done with just a little clue.

Wesley and Lilah's scenes were probably the best in the episode. We can see their relationship has gone beyond physical as he finally acknowledges it's a relationship. I love the whole signed dollar bill thing and thought it was a nice way to see their closeness. However, I do feel Lilah likes him more than he likes her. We can see their relationship has no trust either as Lilah says at the end "If I though you'd ever trust me I'd have ever played you". Ultimately, it's pretty clear it's a doomed romance.

Slouching Toward Bethlehem is an important yet quite boring episode that drags a lot in places. You shouldn't miss it as it does cover a lot but just don't expect great things.
  • The return of Cordelia.

This one picks up with Angel, Gunn, Fred, and Lorne returning to the hotel and shows us again what we saw at the end of The House Always Wins; Cordy is standing in the lobby looking lost. When the gang go in and try to talk to her, it is quickly evident that she has some sort of amnesia. This is hard for Angel to swallow, knowing all that they have went through together and he vows to help her get her memories back. Meanwhile, he decides to not tell her the truth about what kind of business they run, what he really is..etc. Big mistake in the world they live in. Cordy finds out the hard way and in a strange twist she gets saved by Connor and runs out with him. I remember *not* liking where this was heading and BOY was I right.
  • Sleeping Toward Bethlehem

7.1
    Slouching Toward Bethlehem-Cordelia appears back at the hotel with no idea who she is or how she got there. She also cannot remember anything about her friends or her past. Worried that the full truth may scare her off, the gang attempts to hide the scarier parts of their lives from her until she is ready to deal with it. Unfortunately, that secrecy leads to mistrust on Cordy's part when the reality of their situation is revealed. Things get even more complicated when Lorne reads her mind and sees a terrifying vision of the future. Meanwhile, outcast Connor struggles to find his place in the world.

A very slow moving episode that only has some interesting scenes and a nice finish. The best parts of the episode are Wesley and Lilah whose relationship continues to be an impressive subplot for the season so far. Both actors have great chemistry and watching them double cross each other makes for some great developments. It was great twist with Lilah using Wesley like that only to get to Lorne. But at the same time, their scene at the end makes you wonder is she really care about Wesley? The rest of the episode drags a bit, mostly over long scenes with Cordelia wondering around and trying to find out who she is. There were some funny parts like her thinking she's a spy and Gunn afraid that she might turn him into a rat. One thing I don't get is why Cordelia would trust Connor by saying she told him the truth from the start, but hey the girl was confused, but it's not like Angel and her friends didn't tell her the truth. They did, they just wanted to make her feel comfortable, but anyway. Another great part though is Lorne's vision of the future he got from Cordelia which promises a big evil coming this season, which is exciting. All and All, an almost dull episode made good because of some nice twists and developments.
  • Cordelia returns

This wasn't the best episode but I do still think it was pretty good all things considered. It was just that not a lot happened, though I understand why. Cordelia's return to focus of the episode and not a lot of other things happened, her return felt a little stretched. Like if they had put some other stuff into the episode it would have been more enjoyable for me.

But besides that I liked it. Even from the start, from the moment Cordelia returned things were not really right. I mean she had amnesia of some kind, Lorne read her and it was all 'slouching towards bethlehem', and he weird no real reason for trusting of Connor was...weird. I guess I get why she trusted him to point. He was the only one that was honest to her from the start, he saved her from Lorne's somewhat terrifying client, and he did keep her pretty safe. The whole thing was just very bizarre.
  • The episode with the obscure and pretentious title.

6.8
    I've got nothing on this title, beyond knowing that it's a title of a Joan Didion essay taken from the closing lines of a Yeats' poem which I've forgotten. Incidentally, why is Lorne so much more up on obscure literary references than I am?

In our opening scenes we see Jasmine, a shrinking violet, newly manifest in our dimension in the shell of a very confused Cordelia.

This really ticks me off, and is one of the main problems I have with this season.

Cordy is a conduit for the Powers That Be. She is a figure of heightened awareness, and regardless of what she consciously remembers -- note the kung fu with the ninja lawyers in the garden -- she is a wildly self-possessed person.

She hears her voice on the answering machine. She sees pictures of herself with the people she's talking to. She remembers none of it, but her reaction throughout is one of //deep// distrust.

She is eased, by CYN!, back into this dimension. She is not blasted with the full force of the Whedonverse from the moment she ... reappears with no explanation and none forthcoming.

They tell her their names, and conduct their business and Angel for reasons that will only ever be known to himself pours eight tall glasses of blood and moves them from the lobby to his room, spilling some. Gunn and Fred return from demon fighting and while the blood on the axe is undeniably purple Cordy somehow thinks they're talking about actual babies. And Lorne meets with a client (who later attacks her) and then meets with her himself (in a lovely scream take which is charmingly droll -- along with Gunn's very funny line "Guess why we call him 'Lorne.' ").

And all the while this Cordy is reacting to everything like a blonde teenager in a horror film -- shrinking away from the main group, wandering off by herself, screaming at every passing thing.

'Til Connor arrives and saves her.

Let's back up a moment.

Cordy accuses CYN! of lying to her. That's not accurate. They are giving her the Truth in what are meant to be manageable doses. Even after she hears her voice on the answering machine she is backing away from them.

They //do// give her the full story and she freaks! She was demonstrably unable to handle this truth and that surprises me anyway. She grew up in Sunnydale after all with the cheerleader blindness and hangers-on turning invisible and, well, that graduation ceremony.

Oh, and now that I'm remembering it, the rebar through the torso that her "Charmed" costume in "Belonging" didn't betray so much as a dimple.

But Connor leads with "I tried to kill you. Sorry," and she's moving in with him.

Not before Lorne reads her and sees in the words of her ably mismanaged reprise of Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All" (gotta love that "Puppet Show" reference) an undefined apocalypse -- not a silent one like in Season 5, but a big tromping thumpy marching brass band of one "that made my skin crawl away and hide." (a very good line).

"Do the words 'Slouching Toward Bethlehem' mean anything to you?"

Why no. Let's look them up, shall we?

SLOUCHING TOWARD BETHLEHEM

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
    The dark drops again; but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

Well, that's some pretty impressive imagery. The Vietnam War discussion Didion drew seems almost quaint by comparison in a time when Vietnam is a tourist destination, but at the time the images certainly seemed appropriately apocalyptic.

Why //Lorne// has such ready access to them is beyond me, but here is a delightful bit of misdirection. While Lorne nurses a fear he expressed better in "Time Bomb" -- "Oh G-d don't go in there" in reference to Gunn visiting Wesley -- CYN! mounts up on Wesley-fresh-from-Lilah's say-so and tromps off to save Cordy at Connor's little hole in the taxidermy.

And W&H with its vast menagerie of demons brings one along to burrow into Lorne's skull (if that's where his brains are -- I know they've got a law firm there, but what gives them such ready insight into Pylean physiology, I wonder? His heart's in his bum after all)

So Lorne has no information. CYN! is still missing a Cordy -- as are we all, in that that can no longer //possibly// be her -- and know little beyond the fact that some undefined terrible thing is about to happen -- well, //duh// (it must be Wednesday).

And Wesley called his dangerous liaison with Lilah a relationship.

Hold onto that dollar Wes -- it's important later.

JASMINE WATCH: I'm still at about 40 to 60 percent certain that that's Jasmine in there, and I'll put it like this: Her running away from CYN! and her instinctive trust of Connor is not only counterintuitive; it fair //reeks// of manipulation.

"What bizarro hell dimension did I wake up in?"

Sadly, that line is still a season and a half away. But for now, we'll leave the light on for you.
  • I'm not feeling the love with this show leaving the end of S3 and the start of S4, and "The House Always Wins" following "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" didn't lift my expectations much at all.

Why? Mainly I have a big problem with what I snidely call the "floaty Cordy stage". So Cordy, she's all powerful, she's higher plane chica, she sparkles in the clouds. Yeah, those things are real neat, but what has she DONE as "all powerful, higher plane" gal?

Nothing.

Fact is, if they didn't tell us she was in a higher plane and all powerful, I wouldn't have had a clue what the heck she was doing up there. Another dream sequence gone wrong? Heh. That would actually make more sense.

So all this floating in the clouds for 3-4 months got us a 1/32 turn of the last number on a slot machine? Okay, I just knew the tension was mounting for something really intensive. Heh. Ya.

Then next epi "STB", we get Cordy back, but without a memory. It's like Joss came back from his all-inclusive Star Wars convention in Japan and said; "I cant leave this place for a few weeks and now I've got to fix how you f-d up my Cordy character". :D

What I did like ... Lorne. THANK GOD Lorne didn't turn into a complete ass-wipe. I was so upset, I was going to burn his poster and hang The Blue Man Group up instead. Oh Lorne, I just knew you couldn't have turned your horns on your friends.

Connor, that boy gives me the wiggins. I fully love the few moments that Angel and Connor connect as a loving Father & Son combination. But then he gives us a look and I think, "Woah that boy looks kinda like Darla's kid".

Fact is I didn't much care for the actor they cast as Connor first off. I felt he didn't look enough like Angel, he wasn't attractive enough. I'm really not sure why I was disappointed with his look. But now I can see it was most likely smart to cast someone a little awkward, stringy, able to cast a nasty broody look at a moments notice. I think Joss doesn't want us to fully embrace him, like we have Angel.

Right now Connor is a bit of a wild card. And that became evident as no-memory Cordy lay in his crib under his care. I was concerned for Connors motives and his role in the future.

As for the "Slouching Toward Bethlehem", the "gloom & doom" for all of mankind. Meh. You know there's going to be another season. How many of these things have we hung in for, prior to this one? It's becoming a little predictable. I hope this next "apocalypse" is better than the last half dozen.

:D
  • Slouching towards mediocre!

SLOUCHING TOWARDS BETHLEHEM

The Good;

Like Connor's vamp hunting and some of the humour with amnesiac CC especially Gunn refusing to be a sidekick (having been the Alpha-dog all summer). For me the Wes/Lilah stuff saves this ep for me.

The Bad;

Much I'm afraid, especially the stupid looking client Gunn had in the hotel 5 minutes after he is unexpectedly back from Vegas. Also the vamp Connor sets on fire seems to burn very quickly compared to Dru and Darla who were soaked with a lot more petrol.

Best line:

Amnesiac Cordy; "I was popular. Well no suprise there"

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tatt; twice, once when Angel pulls her off Lorne and once during the fight with WR&H's goons.

Fang Gang in bondage: Lorne seems to spend most of this season knocked out and tied up to something

Cordy: 5

Angel: 12

Wes: 6

Gunn; 4

Lorne; 4

Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: poor old Lorne really seems to be getting it lately

Cordy: 12

Angel: 15

Wes: 5

Doyle; 1

Lorne; 4

Groo; 1

Kills: 2 vamps and a demon for Connor. At least one demon each for Gunn and Fred

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons.

Groo; 1 demon

Gunn; 1 Fred

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Wes and Lilah at it again (doesn't she think to shower after sex?). I actually think the whole dollar thing is utterly charming. And of course Lilah's right, she played Wes but he betrayed her. Also in a sign of things to come Connor grabs one of CC's breasts in bed.

Captain Subtext;

Lorne has been borrowing CC's lingerie for a 'friend'?

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

CC appears to think that she is actually a character in Alias which was Buffy's great rival at the time (but never came close despite Jennifer Garner's obvious loveliness and Amy Acker/Roger Moore guest starring). Gunn's fear of rats occurs again, Wes once again starts to take steps back into AI, it's actually Gunn who's more hostile to him than Angel (Wes can't help needling them about getting CC back only to immediately lose her again). Connor seems to be living quite well on the street but I guess if he survived Kortath (or however you spell it?) he can survive LA. And probably steals the vamp's stuff after killing them. He is lonely however and misses being part of AI. CC sings The Greatest Love of All which she also sang in Buffy's The Puppet Show. I freeze framed my DVD but unfortunately there's no one I recognise from SDH in CC's yearbook.

Marks out of 10; 5/10 very static, stupid demon, Lilah and Wes and CC's performance largely saves this one for me.