Angel

Slouching Toward Bethlehem

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2002 on The WB

• I'm not feeling the love with this show leaving the end of S3 and the start of S4, and "The House Always Wins" following "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" didn't lift my expectations much at all.

Why? Mainly I have a big problem with what I snidely call the "floaty Cordy stage". So Cordy, she's all powerful, she's higher plane chica, she sparkles in the clouds. Yeah, those things are real neat, but what has she DONE as "all powerful, higher plane" gal?

Nothing.

Fact is, if they didn't tell us she was in a higher plane and all powerful, I wouldn't have had a clue what the heck she was doing up there. Another dream sequence gone wrong? Heh. That would actually make more sense.

So all this floating in the clouds for 3-4 months got us a 1/32 turn of the last number on a slot machine? Okay, I just knew the tension was mounting for something really intensive. Heh. Ya.

Then next epi "STB", we get Cordy back, but without a memory. It's like Joss came back from his all-inclusive Star Wars convention in Japan and said; "I cant leave this place for a few weeks and now I've got to fix how you f-d up my Cordy character". :D

What I did like ... Lorne. THANK GOD Lorne didn't turn into a complete ass-wipe. I was so upset, I was going to burn his poster and hang The Blue Man Group up instead. Oh Lorne, I just knew you couldn't have turned your horns on your friends.

Connor, that boy gives me the wiggins. I fully love the few moments that Angel and Connor connect as a loving Father & Son combination. But then he gives us a look and I think, "Woah that boy looks kinda like Darla's kid".

Fact is I didn't much care for the actor they cast as Connor first off. I felt he didn't look enough like Angel, he wasn't attractive enough. I'm really not sure why I was disappointed with his look. But now I can see it was most likely smart to cast someone a little awkward, stringy, able to cast a nasty broody look at a moments notice. I think Joss doesn't want us to fully embrace him, like we have Angel.

Right now Connor is a bit of a wild card. And that became evident as no-memory Cordy lay in his crib under his care. I was concerned for Connors motives and his role in the future.

As for the "Slouching Toward Bethlehem", the "gloom & doom" for all of mankind. Meh. You know there's going to be another season. How many of these things have we hung in for, prior to this one? It's becoming a little predictable. I hope this next "apocalypse" is better than the last half dozen.

:D