Angel

Slouching Toward Bethlehem

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2002 on The WB

• Cordelia's back!

Slouching Toward Bethlehem could have been a great episode. It should have been a great episode. It had the return of Cordelia, plenty of action and Lilah at her evil best. Yet it's not great. It's actually quite dull at times.

I am extremely thankful Cordelia's back, even though she has amnesia and is completely uninteresting the entire episode. Cordy's my favourite main character and I rarely find her boring but here she was just... meh. The whole episode felt like it was just going round and round in circles and hardly anything new had been achieved at the end except Cordy was living with Connor. It was about Cordelia finding out who she was again and while it was necessary, it wasn't great to watch. We already know her life so hearing it again isn't exactly thrilling. I just felt like screaming at the T.V. "Just tell her everything Angel!". Cordelia attempts escape not once, not twice but three times this episode. It was just complete unnecessary to see her running around the hotel lots. Also, I dislike her attitude at the end when she's all "Connor's the only one not lying". What did she expect, Angel to tell her he was a vampire and that demons and forces of hell actually exist in the first five minutes of her returning with no memory? She was just annoying here.

Also the scene where Lorne reads Cordelia could have been a LOT more suspenseful, especially if they had included a snippet of The Beast at the end, which would have really set things up. However all we got was "Something evil's coming". When is something evil NOT coming? We could have done with just a little clue.

Wesley and Lilah's scenes were probably the best in the episode. We can see their relationship has gone beyond physical as he finally acknowledges it's a relationship. I love the whole signed dollar bill thing and thought it was a nice way to see their closeness. However, I do feel Lilah likes him more than he likes her. We can see their relationship has no trust either as Lilah says at the end "If I though you'd ever trust me I'd have ever played you". Ultimately, it's pretty clear it's a doomed romance.

Slouching Toward Bethlehem is an important yet quite boring episode that drags a lot in places. You shouldn't miss it as it does cover a lot but just don't expect great things.