Angel

Soulless

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 05, 2003 on The WB

• Angelus!

Soulless is a brilliant episode that doesn't have much action and doesn't really develop the plot much but Angelus is such a good villain that you can't help but love it!

Angelus is just so creepy. Cordelia made a very good point about him here- "He lies with the truth". All throughout this episode he takes things and twists them around to make them perverted or evil. This has a very interesting effect on our characters and we can se how visibly shaken they get. Angelus can tear up relationships and cause violence without even lifting a finger. He's highly frightening and there's just an overall sense of fear in the cage scenes- he may be locked up but you know when he gets out it's going to be very, very bad. He reveals the gang's innermost secrets in the most grotesque fashion and you are constantly shocked at the things he says and the twists he puts on things. Another thing that makes him seem so powerful is that he just doesn't seem to care about what happens- he looks utterly nonchalent the entire episode. Not many villains can do that and get away with it- it just comes off phony but Angelus pulls it off. He also has a comeback for everything and the rest of the gang's words look silly next to his. His manipulation of the gang is excellent to watch.

The whole Gunn/Fred/Wesley love triangle is starting to irritate me though and I must admit Fred is the cause for a lot of it. She should just make a choice instead of playing with both their feelings. I thought Wesley was wrong here- he shouldn't have made a move on Fred when she was vulnerable and I agreed with Gunn on all accounts. Fred is with Gunn and Wesley should see that and accept it instead of continually throwing jealous looks about like a schoolboy.

Connor was another annoyance here with his whole "Angel is the cause of my problems" riff. He comes across just as a whining brat and I was so glad Angelus verbally assaulted him- someone needs to put that brat in his place and remind him he isn't centre of the universe.

Soulless is a frightening and sometimes disturbing episode that has you on the edge of your seat the whole way throughout. Angelus causes thrills all around and this episode should not be missed.