Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 2002 on The WB

• Pure genius!

SPIN THE BOTTLE

The Good;

All of it, easily one of the best episodes of season 4, obviously with a debt to Buffy's Tabula Rusa but with a delicious spin of it's own. Unlike 'The Shroud of Rahmon' the framing device of Lorne with an invisible audience is terrific, he even breaks the 4th wall. If there is a favourite moment I think it would be CC declaring Fred as 'all neck' and Fred giving the 'mother of all shrugs'.

The Bad;

Only thing I can find wrong is that the commentary is not as good as you'd hoped despite having Joss and Alexis. Again though wouldn't Liam notice his lack of heartbeat etc?

Best line:

Gunn; "What happened to you man?"

Wes; "I had my throat cut and my friends abandoned me"

Apocalypses: 5

Doyle; 1

Gunn; 2

Lorne; 6

Groo; 1

Kills: Gunn says he's been killing vamps since he was 12 . He threatens to cut Lorne's head off although we actually know that wouldn't kill him. Another vamp for Connor who is starting to catch his old man up.

Cordy: 6 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons.

Groo; 1 demon

Gunn; 1 Fred

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Wes' projecting stake and Fred's fear of aliens probing her helpless naked body. Liam is all for the sinful desires. Connor get's felt up by a hooker and CC promises to sleep with him if he kills Angel. CC is delighted with her bountiful adult breasts, Fred disappointed she seems not to have much. CC says 'Hello salty goodness' when she sees Liam which is exactly what she said about Angel when they first meet. CC in her towel. She thinks that danger makes her hot, she said the same about Xander and her in 'Dopplegangland'. CC thinks Angel is deviant because he didn't try anything with her.

Captain Subtext;

CC thinks Gunn and Wes wrestling is ***-erotic. CC wonders how Wes got the title 'head boy'? Note CC treats Fred EXACTLY as she treated season 1 Willow.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Liam is alarmingly racist (as indeed is Keith Topping in his book) both against Wesley as an Englishman and Gunn as a slave. Ironically he later comments that people are ganging up upon him because he's different and he accuses THEM of being hypocrites. CC comments that she know's who's president and wishes she didn't. Weird, I'd have always thought of her as a right wing girl. Gunn suggests that if something looks wrong it should die which is a lot different as to how he thought in 'That Old Gang of Mine'.

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

Fred is a cannabis smoker. Maybe it doesn't make you dumb after all? Liam thinks the cars outside are demons which is exactly what C17th noblewoman Buffy thought in Halloween. Interestingly Wes refers to the Watcher's academy being in Hampshire which means it may have survived Caleb's attack on the London base and helps Buffy&co in season 8. Interestingly Angel doesn't trust magic, much like Connor. Wes is very Bond as has been commented on before. Gunn's fears that he's just the 'muscle' (the BA Barracus?) of AI once more come to the fore. Interesting to see him as an angry young man just as we saw in 'Double or nothing'. Some funny mocking of Angel's very poor Irish accent. Gunn votes that they don't put Wes in charge, a ref back to 'There's no place like plze grb'. Note that when Gunn goes for a weapon he instinctively selects his hubcap axe even though he's amnesiac. Note also Fred fondles the palms, Illyria later able to mind meld with them.

Lorne smokes again. Even though he's his teenage goof self Wes is still heroic, pitting himself unhesitatingly against a vamp to save Fred and CC and quite a good leader. Lorne tells Fred 'look into your heart' which is the famous line from 'Miller's Crossing', the greatest gangster film ever. Our first glimpse of The Beast.

Marks out of 10; 10/10 stunning

• Spin the Bottle

Spin the Bottle was not only one of the Best episodes of Angel, It was one of the most Classic of the series. I really enjoyed watching this episode which was very unique with Lorne narrating from a piano bar. I thought this was a very awesome way to portray the story of this episode. This is by far one of my personal favorite episodes of the entire series of Angel. All of the characters reverting back to the age of 17 with different backgrounds was so interesting. I also thought the end of the episode was not only a glimpse of what is to come, but very intriguing and mysterious. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode. This was definitely a must watch episode!!!!!!!
  • Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin. - Barbara Kingsolver

"Spin the Bottle" is a bit like Angel's version of Buffy's "Tabula Rasa", on the surface. But underneath, it is teeming with so much more.

In an ill conceived attempt to retrieve Cordelia's memories, the gang use a spell that backfires horribly. Everyone, except Lorne, reverts back to their teenage selves.

This gives us great insight into the backgrounds of characters about whom we don't know much before they came to the show, such as Fred, Wesley and Gunn. Cordelia is a breathe of fresh air in her old Queen C persona. Angel is once again an innocent man, Liam, who is out of place in LA, far from his home in 18th century Ireland and ignorant of his vampirism. Gunn and Wesley's interaction is perhaps the best of the episode. Their characters differ so much, their bickering is hilarious.

Of course, this episode is not filler. Wesley deduces that their situation is like the Cruciamentum from Buffy's "Helpless", and that they must find the vampire. Alas, when Lorne wakes up and reveals that Angel is the vampire, Liam acts like he thinks he should and the rest turn on him. Connor shows up to save the day.

Lorne brings everyone back to normal, but Cordelia's memories do come back, to disastrous consequences.

The format of this episode is unique. Lorne breaks the fourth wall multiple times, even referring to the commercial break at one point. He narrates the episode to a nightclub audience. There are also a couple very cool scenes in which he narrates directly in the middle of the action, such as when he sums up the major points in the Fred/Wes/Gunn happenings.

One of the best episodes in a season that, while it may not have the best overall arc, had many very good standalones.
  • Trying to get back Cordys memories, Lornes spell backfires making all of the team believe they are teenagers again. Not knowing each other or why they are there, Together they try to figure out what they are doing there at the hotel and why.

A MUCH WATCH EPISODE!!!!! SO FUNNY!!!! With so many serious things happening in this season so far, it's nice to have an episode where you're able to laugh and relax and still keep with the story line. Sometimes when shows do an episode like this it turns out a bit cheesey. This episode was everything but cheese. The actors did the switch-a-roo like champs! Fred asking about weed and Angel not knowing he's a vamp were great parts. But Wesley realizing he has weapons in his sleeves made me laugh so hard I almost peed (seriously) This is one of my favorite episodes ever. I kept rewinding certian parts just to watch over and over again.
  • "Got any weed?"

Spin The Bottle is without a doubt the funniest episode of Angel and loses out to first place in the entire 'verse to Doppelgangland for the funniest episode. It's almost a direct copy of Buffy 6.08 "Tabula Rasa" but I find this episode much better. Whereas Tabula Rasa took away all of our character's entire memories, this episode took away their memories from after their seventeenth birthday. Cordelia is the nasty b*tch, Fred is a pothead, Wesley is the huge clumsy geek, Gunn is the aggressive tough guy and Angel is an 1700's Irish peasant. What's so great about this episode is that while it is absolutely hilarious, it's one of the most important episodes of the series. Not many episodes are like this but Spin The Bottle is pivotal because it is the episode where our gang mistakenly re-awake Jasmine inside Cordelia. This one scene is probably the most important this season as the rest of the season is built around this. The flash to The Beast's eyes was suitably creepy and mysterious.

However the reason this episode is so great is that it's just so funny. We haven't really had a funny episode since "Carpe Noctem" which wasn't great but here 90% of the episode is funny. It was so great to see Cordelia back to Sunnydale Cordelia and I thought that seeing as Cordelia has changed so much, the writers did a great job bringing back the b*tch she once was. She had some excellent lines and Charisma Carpenter looked like she was having great fun portraying the nastier side of Cordy. Same goes with Alexis Denisof who was at his funniest here- Wesley has changed so much too and it was so good to see the clumsy geek he once was. Fred was brilliant too and I really really love Teenage Fred; she's just like an immature, crazier version of Fred and her lines about wanting to "score some weed" make me laugh every time. Angel/Liam was funny too but definitely not the highlight. He had an innocent sense of humour and David Boreanaz was great but he was overshadowed by Cordelia, Wesley and Fred. However, Teenage Gunn was completely irritating and served no purpose but to run his mouth off. I really didn't like him and would have much preferred he was knocked out at the start.

I love the way Lorne narrated the episode; it was a nice touch and it gave Lorne something to do this episode. We are left wondering whether it post NFA Lorne as he seemed slightly different and his description of bringing Cordelia's memories back made me think he was remembering the Jasmine-caused badness. Connor was just extremely annoying here and I really hate the Cordy/Connor thing. He acts like a spoilt child and was ready to kill his own father just to score with Cordelia. He comes across as self-centred and I honestly have no sympathy for him anymore; he's just a bad character. I was glad Angel/Liam beat him up though.

Spin The Bottle was an incredible episode that was hilarious and pivotal at the same time. A gem of S4 and the series as a whole.
  • A blast from the past!

It was great to have old Wes back, with his goofy manners and giant head. Old Cordy was a blast also. After having the characters go through such a hard time over the past year and grow so much, and then go back to the old ways for an episode, it makes you finally appreciate how amazing the actors really are! I'm not sure what was going on with Fred wanting to "score some weed" though. And if I recall correctly from Buffy season 3, high school Cordy was originally attrached to Wes. But I loved that she used the same "salty goodness" line that she used when she first met Angel. That was just genius.
    It was also initally confusing as to why Lorne didn't lose his memory. I know he was unconscious when Cordy smashed the bottle, but he was still in the room. Oh, well. It doesn't really matter. The episode was genius!!!
  • Not Another Teen Episode

Spin The Bottle-When Lorne performs a spell on Cordelia to restore her memory, it inadvertently causes the gang to revert back to their high school personas and leaves them with no memories of each other. Eventually, Wesley theorizes that the only way to reverse the spell may be to kill a vampire, just as Angel realizes that he is one.

Joss Whedon writes and directs another classic for this series as the whole cast give top notch performances as their teenaged selves! Cordelia is the best out of the bunch as Charisma easily goes back to her roots as the smart mouthed, rich b!%ch she was in the early years of Buffy. Then Alexis who easily switches back to the clumsy, dorky watcher Wesley use to be. Angel is now Liam, his 18th century teenage self and Fred, is a quirky yet weird teenager. Lastly, there's Gunn, who a tough street wise teenager who hates everything that's not human. This episode fill with so many hilarious lines, scenes and moments it's hard to remember them all! The best parts are Cordelia's hilarious lines especially like when she first meets Fred:

Cordelia: "Hey where both in school, why don't you be my friend so I can lose all my cool ones."

Then there's Liam keep calling Wesley a filthy British man, Fred's constant blurting out of wanting some pot, Gunn and Wesley's girly fight, Wesley bumping into things and just being so incompetent, Liam finding out his a vampire then everyone reaction to him being one. Never have I laughed so much during an episode of Angel( well besides Smile Time, but that's for a future review!) The script was so sharp, and the whole cast was flawless. Not to mention, Lorne's narration through the whole episode was the toping on this perfect sundae! All and All, one of the funniest and best episodes of the series, which has classic humor and fantastic acting from the whole cast. It's also the only real bright and light-hearted episode in this overwhemlingly dark year.
  • teenagers again.

Lorne does a spell to get cordy to remember her life, but it backfires. they al wake up, including wesley as teenagers. wesley takes the leader position, and bosses around gunn, who wont take it. they find out their is a vampire and they must kill it. angel or should i say liam finds out he is the vampire. this episode was a perfect example of how the characters have evolved. obvousibly, cordelia goes back to how she was at the begining of buffy, which you gotta love. and she thought everyhting was about her hair. wesley is again the dorky watcher that faith blew off. Angel is now Liam, his 18th century teenage self. Fred is a disturbed pot head. who would have expected that. gunn is a demon hater, kill everything kinda guy. much like when angel and him first met. cordy was really funny throught this episode. her talking to fred was so her, and cordys scream. hilarious. angel gets to call wesley a british man, and make fun of him for that. and fred wants pot. she even does a weird dance wesley does to check for a stake. wesley is just so funny as his old clumsy self. i loved the fact that lorne had told the whole episode, but i wanted to find out who he was telling. this episode is a great bright episode in a season of more serious ones. and also, i loved all the buffy refrences. on a more serious note, i liked the part where in the begining angel is trying to explain that they were in love to cordy. and at the end when he asks her, and she says they were. how sad: were. and when conner was talking abot angel, and he diidnt even know it, i loved that part. they had nice bonding time by accident.
  • Not Another Teen Episode

Joss Whedon writes and directs another classic for this series as the whole cast give top notch performances as they're teenaged selves! Cordelia is the best out of the bunch as Charisma easily goes back to roots as the smart muthed, rich b!%ch she was in the early years oon Buffy. Then Alexis who easily switches back to clumsy, dorky watcher Wesley use to be. Angel is now Liam, his 18th century teenage self and Fred, is a quirky yet weird teenager. Lastly, there's Gunn, who a tough street wise teenager who hates everything that's not human. This episode fill with so many hilarious lines, scenes and moments it's hard to remember them all! The best parts are Cordelia's hilarious lines especially like when she first meets Fred:

Then there's Liam keep calling Wesley a filthy British man, Fred's constant blurting out of wanting some pot, Gunn and Wesley's girly fight, Wesley bumping into things and just being so incompetent, Gunn walking up with the crazy white folks, Liam finding out his a vampire then everyone reaction to him being one. Never have I laughed so much during an episode of Angel( well besides Smile Time, but that's for a future review!) The script was so sharp, and the whole cast was flawless. Not to mention, Lorne's narration through the whole episode was the toping on this perfect sundae! All and All, one of the funniest and best episodes of the series, which has classic humor and fantastic acting from the whole cast. It's also the only real bright and light-hearted episode in this overwhemlingly dark year.

• Not Another Teen Episode

• Dark, but still humorous.

This is one of the episodes in season four that even it remains to true to the gloomy darkness that is the season manages to be pretty hilarious. Lorne casts a spell, with the rest of the gang, to help restore Cordelia's missing memories. I'm not sure how but somehow it makes everyone revert to their teenage selves, their fifteen year old selved to be exact (except Lorne for some reason how ends up unconscious within the first few moments of the spell). It's so funny watching them cast the spell and going all loopy, but after when they are all fifteen (keeping in mind what time period Angel was from and where they all were at that point in their lives) it is just plain hilarious! Angel is so beyond confused it's funny, though he becomes a little Angelus-esque when he realizes he is a vampire. Wesley is a total spaz, Fred is completely weird, Cordelia is back to her...I'll say slighty Buffy season 1 personality, and Gunn is a jerk. Odd how they all came together after starting off in such different places. Anyway, things are all well and funny until Connor jumps into mix prepared to kill Angel (though for a very different reason). It's just so funny watching them all stumble over themselves, fight, and just get so confused as time goes on.

Another great thing about this episode is Lorne's narrations. He's such a comical guy and actually a very natural story teller, perfect choice.
  • Lorne's memory spell goes very wrong....

I wanted to love this episode, I really did. And it was a good one. I think I would have loved it had I not already seen "Tabula Rasa" in Season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Instead, I am left with strong liking, not loving. The premise is pretty much the same here, Lorne tries a spell on Cordelia to help her get her memory back. Instead, everyone (except Lorne) revert back to the age of 17. This was a twist on the Buffy version in that everyone here still knew who they were, and had their discinct personalities, but this was before they all met (which is why the writer's chose this age, probably). It was fun to see Wesley as a pompous teenager at the Watcher's Academy trying to figure out what happened. Nice to see the "old" Cordelia, self-centered and thinking every guy is interested in her. Gunn's character was not so different from the one we saw when he first appeared on the show, but Fred's stoner personality was quite funny. "Got any weed?" The most disappointing was Angel/Liam. I don't understand why he didn't revert back to his Irish accent? His high point was going into the bathroom and thinking he's invisible because he cannot see himself in the mirror. However, this is spoiled by the fact that had he really been a 17-year-old Irish boy in 17?? he would have no idea that was a bathroom and that there should even be a mirror there. His realization that he is the vampire was done very well and I enjoyed him trying to keep the others from figuring it out. The fact that only Lorne was untouched by the spell also did not make sense to me and somewhat ruined the effect of the episode.

Near the end when Cordelia does get all of her memories back is my favorite scene. Angel asks here if they were in love and she says "We were." You just know she meant to use the past tense and it is so sad. Overall, an entertaining episode, but I know the writers are capable of better, so it was a disappointment from their usual top performance.
  • Great episode!!

First I have to say I love the way Lorne is our storyteller throughout this episode. I love it even more when it is revealed that he was talking to an empty bar. It seems Lorne has a spell that will bring back Cordelias memories and the whole gang, Wes included, are at the hotel to make it happen. As you might have guessed, the spell goes wrong and the gang has reverted to how they would have been as teenagers. HILARIOUS!!! I enjoyed watching how they interacted and how different their personalities were back then. The BIG thing that happened in this ep, although we didnt know it yet, is that whatever is inside Cordelia has woke up. She has her memories back, and then some.
  • everyone is a teen again

a funny episode especially cordelia. lorne tries to do a spell and it makes everyone seem like they are younger. the episode is funny and the writing is good! this is the only episode where lorne is a very interesting character. the episode is also serious with connor and angel fighting and when everyone get their memory back jasmine wakes up in cordelia which starts the real season and goes much better
  • My pulse rate quickened, my heart started pounding, and "Spin The Bottle" was just what Season 4 needed to draw my spirit back into the enigmatic world that is Angel.

As discerningly narrated through the eyes of Lorne, we find ourselves sitting among the audience, staring deeply onto a smoke congested stage. Through this smoke, casts of a heavy blue hazed spotlight completely alters Lorne's otherwise vibrant green skin. His usual cheerful voice, this time projects a quality of responsibility and warning as we listen in on his prolific tale; "Memories. Like the corner of my mind..."

No. Not that part.

He tells of his heartfelt intensions to help Cordy get her memory back. A spell to cast upon her which would restore her mind back to it's original state. He's quite confident in his given talents to accomplish this. But as he recants the events as they have transpired, on that stage his otherwise cheerful demeanor has disappeared and regret has fills his heart.

This is not going to be a fairytale ending after all.

The spell is cast and complete. But what could we expect the results would bring? In the end, Cordy admitting to being in love with Angel was a bittersweet confirmation on this particular day. She needs time to think, as she runs off. But is she really okay?

Lorne's body language fully gives this much away, Cordy is not going to be alright. Did the demon side of Cordy wake up? Perhaps it was another vision? We are left with a sinking feeling of doom for her.

During the spell; A bit of fun and filler. But, oh so enchantingly done.

I loved how they pulled the characters into a 60s tripped out daze. And you'll never hear me complain about Cordy calling out "Hello Salty Goodness", or Fred asking "Have you got any weed". A dorky Wes reminds us of the old Buffy days when his "Wolverine Blades" nearly knocked him on his bum. And Angel making Vamp faces in the bathroom was original and delightful to watch.

Very entertaining episode overall. The impacting and carefully told story by Lorne, makes "Spin The Bottle" a very special addition to Season 4.
  • A spell that backfired leaving humour.

One of my favourite episodes through out the show and certainly one of the funniest as well.

It all starts with Lorne doing the voice over and narrating this episode with some funny comments from the side.
    This is episode is not only one of my favourites because of the humour but because it shows how the characters differ from one and another today.

Angel: Believes he is in hell for his sins and is very shy and afraid

Cordy: Gone back to her old snobby ways and thinks she can have what she wants.

Wes: He has gone back to his perky side and is quite funny to watch.

Gunn: Hasn't changed that much, he seems to be more of a leader now and is still a street talker.

Fred: She has gone through the most funniest change, she has gone back to that quirky side but keeps asking for "weed".

I really enjoyed this episode because of the humour and seeing every one trying to hunt a vampire just as Angel realises he is one.

Over all this is one of my favourite episodes.
  • Even though it's the funniest of the show. it's not one of the best of this season. The problem of this episode are a few dumb lines. the serious scenes like the end and Connor's scenes are the best. Lorne telling the story is a big plus too.

Spin The Bottle

The only thing is that this episode has a few fouls and isn't as good as the Buffy version. even though it has funnier moments it has also more moments that were completely useless. what I most like about this episode is Lorne telling his story and the Connor/Angel part. but my favorite is the end with Angel and Cordy. It's a great and hilarious episode with a few minus points.

cut to Lorne singing and telling a story abut youth and that magic is really unreliable and annoying. cut to Connor being mad but then to Angel and Cordy where she asks him if they were inlove. but then he acts weird and he doesn't answer and he says maybe but then she says maybe he was harassing her but he said no and that they went to a romantic place but they never saw each other again and that she was his dearest friend and all he wants is her back at least. and she is upset because she doesn't remember anything and she doesn't even recognise the sound of her own name. then comes Lorne with a spell to bring her memory back but there is no way it can go wrong. cut to Lorne telling it 'so I'm an idiot. what are you? perfect?'

the credits start

cut to Lorne and he tells that everything did come all right but not when it happened. cut to Cordy and Angel and Lorne and she is thrilled and doesn’t care as long as she gets her memory back and they will gather the six. cut to Wesley and he’s called and he says that he will be there and he asks about Fred. cut to Gunn and Fred in bed and Angel knocks on the door. cut to everyone getting ready and Gunn and Fred are bitter and they don't want any portals and Lorne says that Gunn was figuring out that Wes helped Fred kill the professor. cut to Cordy coming out the shower and she tells Angel that Connor was in pain and that they feel comfortable that way and can't wait to finally have her memory back.

cut to Wes and Gunn in the office and they are upset and Gunn says that he's the muscle. Cordy the heart and Wes the brains and so is Fred and he almost attacks Wes but he takes a knife out his hand and Gunn asks what happened to him and Wes says he had his throat cut and all his friends abandoned him. cut to them doing the spell and after it they all lost their memory and Cordy knows who she is and is upset and sees Angel 'hello salty goodness'. they all say their names and are acting like they were years ago and Angel says his name is Liam and that he's in Ireland. they all annoy each other and Gunn intimidates Wesley but Wes is not afraid and does some karate and a wooden stake comes out his hand and now they think it's about vampires and they need to find some clues.

soon they find Lorne and they think it's the devil. cut to Connor saving a prostitute who's mean to him and tells him to ask his mama for sugar. cut to the house again and Wes and Gunn are fighting but Liam wants the slave to beat up the English pig. Cordy separates them and they think that before they can go out they have to kill the vampires so they all split and go their own way and Fred just wants some weed. cut to Cordy and Liam and they find the radio and then he looks at her neck and becomes a vampire so he goes to the bathroom and he doesn't see himself in the mirror and she thinks he's jerking off and he's afraid of getting killed because he's a vampire. cut to the other three and Fred thinks that it were aliens and she talks about her naked helpless body and that turns on Wesley.

cut to the house later and they then try to find out who's the vampire and Wesley thought it was Gunn but it wasn't and he hits Wes and then Cordy and Fred but they aren't vampires and Liam touches it but throws it away and the Green guy is a vampire. and Lorne says that Angel is the vamp and Angel knocks Lorne off and now he wants to kill the women and he knocks off Gunn and Wes and goes after Cordy. when he grabs her she screams and Connor comes to save her and she tells him that she will sleep with him if he kills Angel and Connor gets exited. and they go to the kitchen and start to fight. cut to Lorne calling Fred and he tells her that he knows a way for everything to go right again. cut to Connor and Liam again talking about fathers and that they suck and Liam just wants Cordy and Connor says she's he's and beats him down.

cut to Lorne giving everyone their memory back and cut to Liam beating down Connor and that he never asked to be born and that's what Connor feels. cut to then everyone back with their memory and also Cordy gets it back and we see some evil eyes open and Cordy runs away. Lorne says that everyone should hug their families and stay away from the magic. cut to Angel going to Cordy and he asks if they were in love and she says they were.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Lorne: Memories. Like the corner of my mind. Misty water-colored memories of the way we were. Ah, youth. Is there anything more magical? A time of first loves, great discoveries let's face it: youth is it. It's a national obsession, crazy cats. But somewhere, people all forget what a mess youth is. It's a time of magic, all right, and there's nothing more unreliable or annoying than magic. Lemme tell ya a little story. It starts with a kid. No, actually, it really starts here:
    Cordelia: Were we in love?
    Angel: Hmm.
    Cordelia: Were we?
    Angel: What?
    Cordelia: In love?
    Angel: With each other?
    Cordelia: Mister, if you start giving me the run-around
    Angel: I'm not. I'm not.
    Cordelia: Then tell me the truth!
    Angel: I don't know.
    Cordelia: You don't know?
    Angel: Well, I'm not sure.
    Cordelia: Now, I think that's the sort of thing I'd remember. Hey, maybe you wrote it down somewhere a note on the fridge, maybe?
    Angel: I had feelings for you, and thought that maybe you- but you never told me. You asked me to meet you...to talk, and... I never saw you again.
    Cordelia: And you think I wanted to meet you to tell you I was in love with you?
    Angel: I really don't think you're ready to be dealing with
    Cordelia: Or maybe I was gonna tell you to back off, buddy. Maybe you were coming on too strong harassing me in the workplace. Maybe I had a red-hot restraining order in my mitts. You ever think of that?
    Angel: I was never in the workplace, I- Well, there was that one time with the the ballet and the stripping and the roundness, but that was a spell. And-and we were meeting in Malibu on the bluffs at night. That's a pretty romantic restraining order!
    Cordelia: Don't yell at me. You're yelling at me.
    Angel: I'm not. See, this is why I don't want to answer questions I don't have the answers for. All I know is that you are my dearest friend. And I hope that I just- I want that back. That much, at least.
    Cordelia: You have no idea how much this is killing me. I know my ABC's, my history, I know who's President, and that I sorta wish I didn't. I know the name of every shoe store in the Beverly Center, but I don't- I don't even recognize the sound of my own name.
    Angel: We'll get you back. No matter what. I promise you, we will get you back.
    Lorne: What's all this "we", pale face? I'm the one out there doing all the leg-work well, it's really more lap-work' cause guess what just fell into it.
    Cordelia: What?
    Lorne: A memory spell provided by one of my clients that is guaranteed to bring our Cordy back to the way she was.
    Angel: Guaranteed?
    Lorne: No pain, no side-effects. I'm telling you, swingers, there's no way this can fail…So, I'm an idiot. What are you perfect?

Lorne: Well, the fact is, I had every reason to believe that the spell would work. And it did after a fashion. Well, what happened during it and what came after... Ooh, I'm gonna need a bigger drink. But, now the spell was legit. Straight up. I had it off this wraith sweet girl not overly tangible but she deals in memory spells professionally. Now she swears up and down that with the right mix, we can stop this talking and cut to the Cordelia Chase in two ticks of a... ticking thing.
    Angel: I don't know. Spells... I don't trust them.
    Cordelia: And I don't care. I'm in.
    Angel: Cordy, I just
    Cordelia: I don't care. Pain, side effects, this thing turns me into a mousaka... I'm happy. As long as I can remember I'm a mousaka.
    Lorne: Don't even worry about it, princess. I've got all the ingredients lined up. As soon as we gather the six, we'll be good to go.
    Angel: The six what?

Gunn: Oh, good. Symbols on the floor. That's always good.
    Lorne: Check your sarcasm at the door, pouty britches. This is for Cordy.
    Gunn: I just don't want no portals opening up around here. I've had enough of that crap.
    Fred: Sorry, Lorne. We really have had a lot of that crap.
    Lorne: Yeah, well, my parade is rain-proofed, baby doll. My first reading since I got my head drilled, and I find the spell that's gonna bring our little Cordy right back to us. Lo-lath ch-owrng ne bruun.
    Fred: Kaya-no-m'tek.
    Wesley: Did I miss the spell? Did English go away?
    Lorne: No, it's Pylean, crumpet. I said, "I may be prepared to shout a joyful chant."
    Fred: And I said, "May your words please the gods."
    Wesley: Are you all right? Did you...?
    Fred: It's done.
    Lorne: OK, first of all, she didn't say, "May your words please the gods," so much as "May you orally please the gods," which is a slight... inflection's very crucial in our oh, God bless her, it's always nice to hear the mother tongue as long as it's not from my mother. Is this on? And secondly, I didn't know that a couple hours ago, Fred had tried to kill her evil Professor by opening a portal. Gunn didn't know that Wesley had helped her. And Wesley didn't know Gunn had killed the guy himself to save Fred from becoming a killer. And Fred didn't know that Gunn was right then figuring out that Wesley had helped her try. So, you can see, I didn't have all the facts when I started this. It's my job to read people, but nobody in this clan was exactly singing. And me? Hey, I was thinking about Cordelia.

Gunn: So, I guess I'm the muscle, huh?
    Wesley: Sorry?
    Gunn: Angel's the man on the card. It's his world. I'm not a leader no more. Don't got that champion's heart like Cordy. And the brains that was you. So that leaves muscle.
    Wesley: What about Fred?
    Gunn: Well, that's the question, isn't it? She's pretty brainy too. Maybe you two are kindred souls. Maybe that's why she went to you for help getting revenge on that Professor. Killing takes brains.
    Wesley: I did what you weren't prepared to do.
    Gunn: You have no idea what I've What I would do for her.
    Wesley: Is there some reason I should need to know?
    Gunn: You think I don't smell this a mile off? You think I don't know why you keep coming back here?
    Wesley: Because you keep needing my help.
    Gunn: I'm gonna say this once: you move on Fred, and I'm gonna put you down hard.
    Wesley: I'm glad to see you have such faith in your relationship.
    Gunn: Keep pushing, English.
    Wesley: Do you think you could get out of my way?
    Gunn: I don't know what
    Wesley: Not all of us have muscle to fall back on.
    Gunn: What happened to you, man?
    Wesley: I had my throat cut and all my friends abandoned me.

Wesley: All right. Hang on. You're Cordelia Chase, you're a high school student, you live in Sunnydale?
    Cordelia: Right.
    Wesley: So who are you?
    Gunn: I'm the guy that's gonna be kicking a whole mess of ass if somebody don't tell me what's going on.
    Cordelia: What do they call you for short?
    Wesley: Does anyone here recognize anyone?
    Fred: Um, I'm Fred Burkle. I'm also in school in San Anton.
    Cordelia: Oh, we're both in school. Oh, gosh, let's be best friends so I can lose all my cool ones.
    Wesley: There's no need to be snippety, Miss.
    Cordelia: This is a clarion call for snippety, Princess Charles.
    Wesley: It's Wesley, thank you. Wyndham-Pryce. I am from the Watcher's Academy in southern Hampshire. In fact, I happen to be head boy.
    Cordelia: Gee, I wonder how you earned that nickname.
    Wesley: A lot of effort, I don't mind saying.
    Gunn: Gunn.
    Wesley: Where?
    Gunn: Me. That's my name. The short version.
    Wesley: Ah. What school do you attend?
    Cordelia: So, we've heard from the socially handi-capable. What's your story?
    Liam: Mad. You're all mad. These clothes. Your speech. This place. What land is this?
    Gunn: What land is it supposed to be?
    Wesley: Yes, where do you hail from, friend?
    Liam: I'm not your friend, you English pig. We never wanted you in Ireland. We don't want you now.
    Gunn: You Irish?
    Cordelia: You don't sound Irish?
    Liam: For most certain, I sound exactly Something wrong with my voice.
    Wesley: Well, what's your name?
    Liam: Liam.
    Cordelia: Great. We've all got names. Bye, now.
    Wesley: I wouldn't be so quick, Miss Chase, to leave. Clearly, we're all victims of some nefarious scheme.
    Liam: Liiiiiaaamm....
    Wesley: I'll lay odds that that door is bolted shut. And who knows what peril lies outside it.
    Liam: English pig. English pig?
    Wesley: Before we do anything, I suggest we gather as much information as we can.
    Liam: Liiiiiaaamm....
    Cordelia: And I suggest we gather some cops.
    Gunn: Yo... I don't want no heat near me.
    Fred: I don't think we should call the police anyhow. I mean, they're probably involved.
    Gunn: In what?
    Fred: Don't y'all think this is some kind of government conspiracy? 'Cause my friend, Levon, says the government's always taking kids and experimentin' on 'em. Did anybody else have to take a personality disorder test recently? They ask you about politics and your bowel movements and if you want to be a florist
    Cordelia: OK. We've heard from Scarlet O'PleaseShutMeUp. Does anyone sane have a theory?
    Fred: There's conspiracies and stuff. Y'all don't even know...
    Gunn: I got no problem with the idea that the man is messing with us.
    Wesley: The important thing is to start with the facts. We're all from different cities, we're all of an age... Judging from the amount of facial hair I've grown, we've all been unconscious for at least a month.
    Cordelia: Oh, God. Oh, God. My hair. My hair. The government gave me bad hair.
    Fred: No, no, it's nice.
    Wesley: Yes, it's, uh, just the thing.
    Cordelia: Are you sure?
    Wesley: It's...eh...very attractive. But a clue, nonetheless. Perhaps the whole point of this experiment is hair.
    Gunn: I vote he's not in charge.
    Liam: It's the devil. It's the devil.
    Cordelia: My hair?
    Liam: My father said I was a sinner, that I'd come to a bad end. Now I've come to hell.
    Gunn: Well, hell's a lot nicer than my place.
    Wesley: It appears to be some sort of hotel.
    Fred: Well, maybe it's Motel Hell.
    Wesley: Well, let's get the lay of the place.
    Gunn: Don't be giving me orders. I run my own crew.
    Wesley: I'm sure your seafaring adventures are very interesting, but I have experience of things you couldn't imagine. I'm not head boy for nothing.
    Gunn: You 'bout to be headless boy, you don't get out my face.
    Wesley: Intimidation. Ha. Ha. Points for effort. Perhaps a little kar-ate technique will put you in your place.
    Cordelia: What the hell was that?
    Wesley: A clue?
    Gunn: Was that a wooden stake you got?
    Wesley: Apparently, yes. Which changes the scenario quite a bit.
    Fred: I didn't get one.
    Gunn: Nobody got one except English, here. Why's that?
    Wesley: I don't know. I suggest we look about for weapons of some kind.
    Gunn: Yeah, that part works.
    Fred: Aah!
    Wesley: Aah! All right. Nobody scream. Or touch my arms.
    Fred: Well, I think I found another clue.
    Gunn: She's not wrong.
    Cordelia: OK, this is even less funny. What the hell is that?
    Liam: I knew it. It's the devil.
    Fred: Why is the devil sleepy?

Gunn: I say we cut his head off.
    Wesley: He may have information we need. When he wakes up
    Gunn: When he wakes up, we don't even know if this tape is gonna hold him. I say we cut his damn head off.
    Wesley: Thank you very much, Marie Antionette.
    Gunn: What'd you call me?
    Cordelia: Hey. Hey, you two want to stop the homo-erotic buddy cop session long enough to explain this. Wooden stakes. A guy with horns. And neither of you seems that surprised when things just keep getting weirder.
    Fred: They really are. Have you got any weed?
    Wesley: All right. I'm going to let you all in on something you may have trouble comprehending. I assure you that however
    Gunn: Vampires are real.
    Wesley: I was telling!
    Gunn: Vampires are all over L.A. I've been fighting 'em my whole life.
    Angel: That creature's a vampire?
    Gunn: No, I ain't never seen nothin' like that.
    Wesley: I have. Oh. It's... a demon. Probably of the Karathmama...nyuhg family. You see? Some of us have slightly broader experience
    Gunn: How do you kill it?
    Wesley: Well, I know this breed is nocturnal and feeds on roots or possibly human effluvia, and, uh, it's a horned race
    Gunn: So you know jack?
    Wesley: They're nocturnal.
    Gunn: I'm gonna get me one of them axes.
    Wesley: Hold on.
    Gunn: Hey! Don't matter what it is. It looks wrong, it dies.
    Wesley: Not 'til we find out Oh, quit it!
    Gunn: Oh, get off my
    Wesley: Watch the arm. Watch the arm!
    Cordelia: Aren't you gonna get in there and stop them?
    Liam: It's about time the English got what's comin' to 'em. I'm rootin' for the slave.
    Lorne: Ugh. I know I'm still unconscious during this part of the story, but... can you believe these mooks?
    Cordelia: Enough, OK. If head cheese here has a theory, then let's hear it.
    Wesley: There are stories at the Watcher's Academy of a test. A secret gauntlet which only the most cunning can survive. You're locked in a house with a vicious, deadly vampire, and you have to kill him before he kills you. It's been done in the past with slayers.
    Fred: Slayer? The band?
    Wesley: No, it The point is... this could be a test the weapons, the maze-like locale, the innocent civilians, and the mysterious Karathmama...nyuhg demon. This is a test!
    Gunn: I ain't a civilian. I've been killing vamps since I was twelve.
    Wesley: Which only supports my theory. You must be here in an advisory capacity.
    Gunn: I think I'm here in a "chop that green bitch's head off" capacity, and I don't give a damn about no test!
    Fred: Are you always this grouchy?
    Gunn: Only when I wake up with a bunch of insane white folks trying to tell me what to do. The day I take orders from guys like you is the day I not even gonna happen.
    Cordelia: Keep explaining why we're not walking out that door?
    Liam: Because they did something to us. They changed us.
    Cordelia: You mean, this is about my hair?
    Fred: I sorta see his point. Not one of y'all looks exactly seventeen. It's like time's been pushed forward, like we missed a bunch of years.
    Cordelia: I kinda have filled out even more.
    Fred: And I apparently ain't gonna.
    Liam: I feel cold... inside.
    Cordelia: This is so unfair! I'm a craggy 20-something? What about prom?!
    Gunn: Could be that demon put a whammy on us.
    Fred: So, you think, if we kill this vampire, they take off the spell whammy and we can go back to being ourselves?
    Cordelia: And never see each other again?
    Wesley: I believe we can all just go about our business.
    Cordelia: And never see each other again?
    Gunn: Great. So we go vamp hunting. This place looks pretty big. I say two groups.
    Cordelia: Great. I'll go with tall, dark, and slightly less pathetic than you two here. We'll try the rooms.
    Wesley: We'll look downstairs, but remember, if you find the vampire, it is a vicious animal. Just try to draw it in toward us. Don't worry. We'll win this day, I assure you.
    Fred: I'm ready. I'm OK. Be cooler if we could score some weed, though.

Cordelia: God, there's like a million rooms.
    Liam: Minstrels. How did? You stopped the tiny men from singing.
    Cordelia: You really are far from home, aren't you?
    Liam: I tell ya, I get through this, I'm gonna have a great cup of ale I don't care what father says it does to you.
    Cordelia: Maybe we should just sit tight and let the vampire experts deal with this thing.
    Liam: Sorry for acting so... womanish.
    Cordelia: Oh, you're no really not womanish.
    Liam: You're very sweet.
    Cordelia: You don't know the half of it. What is it about danger that makes makes your blood just- What's wrong?
    Liam: Nothing. Excuse me… I'm invisible.
    Cordelia: No, you're not.
    Liam: Oh. Excuse me.
    Cordelia: What's going on?
    Liam: Uh, I'm almost finished. I'm a vampire. They're gonna kill me.

Lorne: Well, those were some exciting products. Am I right? Mmm. Let's all think about buying some of those. But if I can bring it down a moment. Is there anything worse than feeling like you're all alone? Like you're the only person in the world who thinks the way you do, and if anyone else found out, they'd drive a pointy wooden thing through your heart? And as for our fearless vampire killers...

Fred: I just don't think we should be rulin' out the idea of aliens. I mean, he is a greenish sorta fella. And his bein' asleep all that time. I mean, think about it a minute. They could have been doin' Heaven knows what. I can just see myself lying on a table- no clothes, no will- while they probed and explored and did whatever they wanted to my naked, helpless body. It's horrible.
    Wesley: Horrible. Yes. But I assure you, this is demonic work. And they're not nearly so exploratory as- Don't be afraid.
    Gunn: Ain't nuttin here. 'S gettin' old.
    Wesley: Well, let's not give up probe. Hope. Give up hope.

Fred: Liam!
    Liam: Demons?!
    Wesley: Really? Told you. How many?
    Liam: Hundreds. Screaming.
    Fred: Will they try to get in?
    Liam: Don't think they saw me.
    Fred: I guess you really better solve this puzzle and all.
    Wesley: What type of demons, would you say?
    Liam: Shiny.
    Cordelia: Yep, I still got it.
    Gunn: So, that means we gotta check the rest of the rooms? 'Cause I'm bored just saying it.
    Fred: Wouldn't the vampire be comin' after us anyhow? Aren't we vittles?
    Wesley: And he should be starving, by rule. But I also happen to think that further searching would be pointless. I think the Council has been far cleverer than I imagined.
    Fred: Ooh. How?
    Gunn: Yes, speech, speech.
    Wesley: Five people, each unknown to each other, far from home, trapped together at night I submit that the blood-sucking fiend may be closer than we dared suspect. That it may be
    Liam: I'll search the rooms.
    Wesley: I was getting to the good part!
    Liam: But we can't just wait for the vampire to appear. I'll just flush him out
    Wesley:...that it may be one of us.
    Cordelia: Uh... you're kidding.
    Wesley: Would that I were, Miss Chase, but the simple fact is... the fiend has been under our noses the entire time, waiting for the moment to... strike!
    Liam: See? The English is stupid. Let's have a different theory.
    Wesley: I'm not quite finished. I think it's only fair that everybody have a turn. The cross obviously doesn't affect me or our friend, the pugilist.
    Liam:: See. No vampire here. I'm just like the rest of you.
    Fred: Does anyone else here?
    Liam: Look, the devil's awake.
    Wesley: Don't get too close.
    Lorne: Ooh...Oh...guys, hey, that was quite a whammy. A little trip through the transitive nightfall of diamonds, if you know what I mean. I certainly don't, but
    Liam: He speaks madness.
    Lorne: Hey, here's a funny sidebar. I'm tied to a chair again! What the hell's going on?
    Wesley: We were hoping you would enlighten us, spawn of evil.
    Lorne: Oh, dear. I'm starting to suspect my surefire hit spell closed out of town. Did anything go right? Anything? Did Cordy at least get her memory back?
    Wesley: Just tell us where the vampire is, fiend.
    Lorne: What are you talking about? There aren't any vampires here. Well, I mean, except for our boy here.
    Liam: Uh, lying devil man.
    Lorne: Oh, like my spell made you not a vampire anymore. My magic isn't that
    Liam: Shut your mouth.

Liam: I don't wanna hurt anyone.
    Fred: What do we do?
    Wesley: Don't fear. It's under control.
    Fred: Are you sure?
    Wesley: Sorry. I mean, ha!
    Liam: You want a vampire, then? I guess I'm your man. I guess I'll start feeding on your corpses. Startin' with the girls. So, who's gonna be the first course? Hard to choose between you two girls
    Cordelia: What do you mean, it's hard? I mean, she's the tasty one. Look at her. Half of her is neck.
    Wesley: Miss Chase, Miss Burkle, run.

Liam: It baffles me. You liked me so much before, and now I can't even get a little kiss. I can see you. I seem to be strong, too, and fast. It's not so bad, this vampire thing.
    Cordelia: Well, I've got a super power of my own, hot shot.
    Liam: What's that now?
    Cordelia: AAAAAAAAAAAH
    Liam: That really is inhuman. But what good do you really think that
    Wesley: Yes, that one Kill that one, please!
    Cordelia: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    Connor: Why did he attack you?
    Cordelia: Well, who wouldn't? Look, you're a wee bit chess club for my usual beat, but you kill that freak and you're getting a big reward.
    Connor: You mean it?
    Cordelia: Hoo doggy!

Liam: You're stronger than the rest. Are you not a vampire yourself, then?
    Connor: You don't remember?
    Liam: I remember waking up here in this madhouse with that fine lot of hypocrites.
    Connor: Hypocrites.
    Liam: I'm supposed to be evil, but they attack me without cause. They gang up on me because I'm different. They're as bad as my father.
    Connor: Fathers. Don't they suck?
    Liam: Say one thing, then... "Be good. Fear God. Do as you're told." And the whole while I know good and well, he's had his share of sinning.
    Connor: Sounds kinda like my father.
    Liam: Is he a self-righteous bastard?
    Connor: You'd be amazed. You're afraid to fight me?
    Liam: Truth to tell, I'm not much for fighting. I'd rather be satisfying my sinful urges with the Chase girl.
    Connor: You keep the hell away from her.
    Liam: Oh, the girl's yours, then?
    Connor: That's right.
    Liam: She never did mention you when we were alone togeth

Connor: You happy now?
    Liam: I didn't ask for this. I didn't ask to be attacked. I didn't ask to be a freak. Hell, I didn't even ask to be born.
    Connor: Wait.
    Liam: What do you want? Another beating.
    Connor: Oh, I so almost had you.
    Liam: Ha. Not in a dream.

Lorne: Well, it's been a long night. For everyone. I hope you've all enjoyed my little tale so much that you tip your waitresses with obnoxious abandon. Always leave 'em wantin' more, kiddo. That's the rule. Anyway, I've got no more to tell. Applause, applause. I got a sea breeze that's gonna up and leave with someone else if I don't get to her soon. So you kids be good and go home. Hug your families while you can. And stay away fro the magic. Trust me.

Angel: Cordy.
    Cordelia: I can't. Angel, I-I'm sorry.
    Angel: You remember.
    Cordelia: I remember all of it. All of it. And I have to be alone. Please? For a while. It's too... I
    Angel: Cordelia. Were we in love?
    Cordelia: We were.

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 9
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 9
    My Rank: 9
    Total: 9.5
  • The one in which //it// happens.

I'm holding off on my patented JASMINE WATCH for a little bit because if I start with it it'll just seem trite. Everyone knows what I think of that already.

Instead, I give you ...

//No fair listening to the commentary!//

Yep, Joss and Alexis were nattering through this one and it was hardly bad, but it provided me with more insight than even Joss wanted me to have, which was:

//There was no sinister, overarching theme in place for Season 4.//

There were storylines that Joss wanted to see played out and there was some planning behind the season. But for the most part, he said, he wanted to write "Spin the Bottle" so as to see Wesley behaving like a dork.

Now, you're not Joss Whedon and writing an episode to make Wesley look like a dork without you are also telling a gem of a story as well, but this was still envisioned largely as a standalone.

"Spin the Bottle" tells us that adolescence is a truly screwed up time, so don't be alarmed by the images you're about to see on your television screens next week, because Connor isn't to blame.

We have the absolutely delightful fugues into silliness -- about our last encounter with that state of grace for the rest of the season.

The important interactions are right before the spell takes place. Angel and Cordy are very nearly achieving a level of comfort with one another, and Wes and Gunn are having a moment about Fred, and where Wes is coming in from concerning the whole CYNTHIA! thing.

And Connor is in the alleyway, saving the hooker and he //still// can't break himself off some.

Structurally, Lorne's narration is brilliant. It was an excellent way to play this exploration because to be perfectly honest, very little of any significance is discovered while they're under the influence of the bottle.

Angel's interactions with Connor are the best, I thought, and worthiest of exploration, but again, there's just not that much to explore. Connor, because he is especially dense, can't seem to figure out for a while that there's been a spell, and once he does he's still more fight-y than otherwise. To be fair, that fight was wild and a lot of fun to watch. Angel gets to vent about how unfair life is, and Connor hears no small amount of resonance in what he's saying. Fred gets the rest of her life back and saves the day.

Ah, yes. The restoration.

A suspicious person would wonder why Lorne couldn't have mixed up that little tongue poultice somewhat earlier. Like before the spell started. And whether it wouldn't have been perfectly effective on its own.

Also, along with Jazz and Skip, we have a third motive force to examine in the whole Cordy-reappearing-memory-free-and-out-of-the-blue -- that wraith Lorne got the bottle from. And a //fourth// -- while they were scraping at his brain, did W&H add some information we never find out about? And is whatever this antidote is the only thing they messed with?

-- We have the evil law firm who wants Angel where they can keep an eye on him -- and possibly spectrally ...
    -- We have a Power That Was seeking to manifest on our plane of existence ...
    -- We have an enforcer demon with an unreadable agenda that is entirely his own ...
    -- And now we have a wraith -- the one Lorne got the spell from -- and who knows //what// kind of an agenda she's bringing to the table.

The Beast I'm not so worried about. He was foretold in the Shoop, after all, and if the Vampire with a Soul has to face the Beast and the Coming Darkness before he dances the Apocalypso, he'll make it through relatively unscathed.

Cordy has a vision of the Beast and she flees. It does kinda coincide with the tongue poultice, so I naturally wonder what's the what.

But now that she's got her memories back ...

... she certainly begins behaving in a //powerful// peculiar way.

JASMINE WATCH -- Y'see, for most of the show, I'd have said that was almost all Cordy in there. She's behaving like Cordy, and reacting like Cordy, especially the Sunnydale stuff. I'd say 95 percent.

However ...

If that isn't just about all Jasmine in there at the very, very end -- and right up until "You're Welcome" -- well, color me obtuse.

Nice installment, fun to watch, and a decent "Show So Far" establishment shot for everyone.

Fun, fun eppy. Well played, well done, well, well.

Nice one, Joss. :)
  • Spell goes wrong, the gang ends up believing that they are all teenages. Hilarity insues.

By far, my favorite Angel episode. I think it is great to be able to see the past of various characters and how they have become who they are.

Wesley: I love it! He is all "Grrr...I'm grumpy and moody" nowadays, but in his teenage years, he is so perky and willing to learn.

Gunn: I can see how he got to be who he is. When we saw the flashback of him in "The House Always Wins". He was tough and street-ready.

Fred: Hmm.. quite the teenager. Who would have guessed Fred liked Pot so much? Very Hippie like.

Cordellia: I figured that she would have some rememberance of Buffy, since they did hang out during her teenage years. Unless she was reverted back to her Freshman or sophmore year before she hung out with Buffy. Still, she reverts to her highschool self well. Very uppity.

Angel: Was his name Liam? Hmm. I love how he is all quiet and nervous and paranoid.

Lorne: Nice narration there buddy.
  • Sexy, clever and funny -- the reason this is one of the best TV shows of all time.

If ANGEL isn't my favorite TV show of all time, it's certainly in the top five. And this might be my favorite episode of the series, which is saying something.

The beginning of this episode, with the tension between Wesley and Gunn, was tight, gripping and emotional -- then everything took a sharp left turn and never looked back.

Lorne as the Greek Chorus was classic and brilliantly done. Sometimes the Chorus is grinding in it's interruptions, and Lorne was always funny and appropriate. I love how this show can be pretentious without ever, well, being pretentious.

I've never been a fan of Connor (and this is my fifth turn around this series), but he was slick and sexy in this episode. His scenes were an interesting switch, rather than an irritating filler. (Did I mention I never liked Connor? Probably even less than I liked Dawn in BUFFY, and that's saying something.)

Plotwise, the whole reverting back to adolescence was just priceless. In all my favorite dramas, I love the funny shows the best. It makes the shows so much richer, in my opinion, as well as making you appreciate how talented the cast really is. Perhaps that's why lesser dramas never do it. I like to think of episodes like this as the writers winking to the fans since the viewer generally has to have a good handle on the characters to really appreciate the satire.

Here, the performances were great, as usual. Angel's wide-eyed confusion about time and technology was spot on. Boreanaz was cute and funny and endearing. Cordelia's edge was back, thank heavens, and bittersweet since we never see her like this again.

But what made the show, for me at least, were Wesley and Fred. The old Wesley we all hated was back, but this time we had the benefit of loving him, which made him so charming and delightful. He's come a long way from the most irritating Watcher ever.

Fred has also changed immensely and here we got to see a Fred we never knew. Before the crazy-girl of Pylea, before the sweet-but-steely-braniac of Angel Investigations, Fred was a wide-eyed party girl on a continuing quest for weed. Who knew!

This is one episode I could watch again and again. Oh wait -- I do!

• One of my favorite episodes. It gave us a good refresher of where the characters came from.

One of the best episodes of the whole show in my opinion. The reason why I feel this way is because of how the characters acted after they were put under the spell. I'll explain. Wes by this time was independent, rugged, and dark but in this episode we got to see the old "Top-boy watcher Wesley Windum-Price". He was so funny and clumsy, glad to see him again. Gunn was crazy street-born guy. Well he really hadn't changed much except that he was in love and I think less on the edge. Angel was just hilarious, I know its terrible that this is funny but come on:

Cordy: Aren't you going to stop them?
    Angel: No, the english is finally getting what he deserves, I'm rooting for the slave.

One of the best quotes from the show. Now to Fred, we didn't know much about her before we met her in Plyea but wow, she is weird. She was like a hippie! She kept asking for weed, I loved it. Last and my favorite, Cordy. She was the old stuck up Cordy. I do like new Cordy better but its always good to see the old. To end this I'll just mention the best part of the episode: "oh, salty goodness", Classic.