Angel

Supersymmetry

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 03, 2002 on The WB

• The truth about what happened to Fred.

I had wondered since the end of season two, when we were first shown that Fred was in Lorne's home dimension of Pylea, is they were every going to do anything more with it. For awhile it seemed like it just wasn't going to be touched and then this episode. I wasn't expecting what happened though. Fred was sent to Pylea by a trusted professor who was what? Intimidated by her brilliance? And then he lures her back to her old school by publishing one of her articles to try and do it again. That was, is I mean I'd have a stroke if I were Fred which she very nearly does. After seeking out Wesley to help her kill this proffessor, revealing a darkness in Fred that has really never been seen before. Fred gets pretty close to killing, too. Opening a portal to a hell dimension, Gunn interrupts her plans and pleas for her not to do this claiming he would lose her if she kills him. Fortunately for Fred Gunn steps up and kills the profesror himself, throwing him into the portal thus revealing a darkness in a real darkness in Gunn that proves leathal to his relationship with Fred. Honestly, I've never been a big Gunn fan and I've always thought Wes and Fred made such a better couple and way more sense but I didn't like Charles had that kind of darkness in him. Not till this episode. It's interesting how season four focuses on the darkness in Wesley and this episode focuses on the darkness in Fred but the one we really needed to worry about was Gunn, and just what he is capable of.