Angel

Supersymmetry

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 03, 2002 on The WB

• Superinconsistency!

6.9
    Supersymmetry-After Fred's physics article is published; she's invited to speak at a symposium where a portal opens, bringing her face to face with a demon and a dark secret about her old professor. Meanwhile Angel visits a comic book store seeking to solve the mystery and find out why someone would want Fred out of the way.

An episode with plot that just feels forced, but has a shocking ending. First, the revelation that Fred's old professor sent her to Pylea brings a continuity error, since we know Fred was alone in the library when she read the book. It just doesn't make sense. Second, am I the only one who felt Fred's sudden blood lust a little forced. I mean Any Acker gives a great performance, but whole wanting to kill someone feels to extreme for even the character. I mean I know Fred can't be sweet and innocent forever, but that was just over-kill with the revenge. Also, why would she go to Wesley is pretty vague. I did like that Gunn was so protective and reasonable throughout this hour. It shows juist how much the character has grown and cares for Fred. But even I couldn't have forseen him actually killing the professor for Fred. It's a shocking yet unneeded development and it's just as hard to believe Gunn would kill someone, but hey rather him then Fred though. It's a very dark moment for Gunn which ultimately begins the downfall of their relationship. The best parts of the episode are Lilah who is jealous of Wesley's affections for Lilah, also Angel fighting with the demon that won't die, even after his head has been removed. This episode also provided some nice portal opening special effects. The episode ends with Cordelia asking Angel if they were in love, what will be his answer? All and All, even with unneeded and forced developments, there are still good scenes and other interestiong developments.