Angel

The Girl in Question

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 05, 2004 on The WB

• IF you're confused

The Buffy that Angel and Spike "see" in Rome is NOT Buffy, but a body double. Read the official Season 8 comic, written by Joss (an most of the writers) himself. Season 9 is better, and I expect 10 should rock my socks - but no LizR, that's not Buffy.
  • Funny but....

As funny as this episode is, it's just not right. The immortal? weird.. Buffy being with him? insane.. After all that has happened, buffy's in italy snuggling up to her new honey? None of the characters (except the ones back at W&H) are acting like themselves.. it's just.. off..
  • The last glimpse of Buffy

THE GIRL IN QUESTION

The Good;

Personally I think it's worth it just to see 50s Spike and Dru in their chic Fellini phase. Also stunning to see Amy Acker switch from Fred to Illyria and back in the blink of an eye. Love the slow-motion fight in the nightclub.

The Bad;

DB's Irish accent, thankfully the last time we'll hear it.

Best line;

Ilona; "The gypsies are a filthy people and we shall talk of them no more!" (the line that stays with you from this ep)

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Mucho racism against gypsies! And against Americans (which of course neither Spike or Angel are) and some great cliches about Italians both negative (feckless, excitable, untrustworthy) and positive (cultured, stylish, charming). Also it's a little bad taste for Spike to have kept Nicky's jacket all these years, especially when Robin Wood was around.

Apocalypses: 5 Spike queries that defeating the Mayor or Jasmine really counts as saving

the world?

Angel Cliches

Subverting the Hollywood cliche; our cool heroes Spike and Angel are defeated and humiliated by the infinitely cooler Immortal.

In disguise; 8

DB/JM get's his shirt off; 20 shirtless Spike but oddly not Angelus?

Cheap Angel; 8

Fred; 7

Spike; 5

Kills;

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 48 vamps, 72 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 12 humans, one werewolf and one cyborg

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 16 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 4 humans, 2 cyborgs

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 15 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Wes; 1

Gunn; 2

Connor; 1

Lorne; 1

Characters killed: Angelus kills one of the Immortal's lackeys.

Recurring characters killed;

Total number of Angel Investigations; 5,

Angel, Gunn, Lorne, Wes, Spike

Angel Investigations shot: no but Spike and Angel get blown up

Angel: 15

Wes; 2

Spike; 1

Packing heat; Spike says they'll need lots of guns which may be a Matrix ref.

Wes; 13

Doyle; 1

Angel; 4

Gunn; 3

Fred; 5

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Angel describes himself as 'Seeing Nina' but denies she's his girlfriend. The Immortal of course is an eternal being who may or may not be evil, just as Buffy likes them. Spike says he knows he hasn't a shot with Buffy but still loves her. The bartender comments that the Immortal's girlfriends come and go. So this makes Buffy's track record;

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 4 possible, Dracula+RJ+Shadowmen's demon and The Immortal(?)

almost certain that Buffy and the Immortal have sex but we've never see it so unconfirmed, all we're told is that they snuggle. But then she's done that with Scott Hope, Owen and Jeffery.

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 6; Buffy, Darla, The Transcending Furies, Eve

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 2 possible, Justine, Fred

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn, 1 possible Wes

Groo; 1Cordy

Spike; 3-Buffy, Anya, Harmony

Kinky dinky:

Spike tells Angel to 'Wank off!' The Immortal seems to have enjoyed a threesome with Darla and Dru which the pair are reluctant to do with Spike and Angelus. The Immortal didn't hurt Darla until she asked him to and describes him as insatiable and their sex as really great fornification. Dru refers to playing 'Pony'. Angelus once again declares that nuns are 'his thing'. The bartender describes Buffy as a 'girl gone wild'. Spike thinks that sex makes a relationship if you do it enough (good thing he never tells Angel about him and Buffy getting to fifth base on the balcony at the Bronze!). Trish Burkle seems very fond of Wes.

WR&H Rome CEO is a knockout. Literally, I think her amazing breasts would knock you out if you got too close (but what a way to be rendered unconscious!). She also seems like a past amour of The Immortal and considers their dealings 'most satisfactory'. Angel refers to The Immortal eating Buffy's cookie dough. Andrew appears to be going on a date with a pair of beautiful Italian girls, has he become a Casanova or.....?

Captain Subtext;

....are they his '*** hags' to quote Will and Grace? Loads of Spike and Angel bonding despite Angel commenting it's not 'About us' and referring to themselves as 'Partners'. Angelus' threat to shove the henchmen's arrows 'slowly up their arses' is rife with not so subtle gay innuendo as is the use of the phrase 'had us tossed'. Dru and Darla enjoy a threesome with the Immortal and then like to bathe together. Dru likes Darla to hold her underwater? Spike calls the Immortal a ponce. When they're on the scooter Spike tell Angel not to hold so tight. The male demon admits he's in love with the Immortal.

Know the face, different character; 7

Parking garages;

10,

Buffy characters on Angel; 17

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil, Andrew.

What the fanficcers thought; .

Lot's of fic where the Immortal saves everyone from every possible fate that has befallen them. Lot's more slashfic when we see him with Spike and Angelus and sometimes both at once. Also a lovely one where Dawn has The Talk with The Immortal just as Joyce had with Angel, telling him that if he loves Buffy he must let her go.

Missing scenes;

Rumour has it that SMG was willing to appear in this ep but Joss declined as he thought that the ep should be about the Angel characters alone and she would steal the show. Also rumoured that the Immortal would be played by Freddie Prinze aka Mr SMG or Christian Slater meaning that Buffy had fufilled her ambitions in the movie of graduate, go to Europe, marry Christain Slater and die. Then again maybe the Immortal is more of a Hugh Hefner/Errol Flynn sort of character and Buffy is just his latest Girl of the Immortal's Mansion? (RJ aside she always did have a thing for older men)

Questions and observations;

We never see Gunn in his suit again. Lorne seems to be drinking a lot, we hardly ever see him now without a glass in his hand. Did Wes never tell Fred's family what happened to her? So is this really Buffy? According to the comics this is actually a decoy she set up because she's actually in Scotland but maybe that's AFTER this episode? Surely Spike and Angel would be able to tell her by her scent alone? Sadly the last time we'll see Darla, Dru and Andrew. What does 'Ragazza' mean? The chase scene may be a homage to The Pink Panther. Spike refers to 'shemps' from the 3 stooges. Illyria appears to be developing human feelings. Personally I agree with Wes, as long as Illyria can always keep up the pretence it's kinder to the Burkles to have them think that Fred is still alive.

I think a lot of people dislike this ep as we see our cool heroes humiliated by the much cooler Immortal but I think it's great. Andrew says that Buffy loves both Angel and Spike which the comics bear out. Personally I think Buffy/human Angel with resouled/human Dru as the girl for Spike, Spike in all honesty knowing he's not the guy. You must remember that the Immortal is not the long term guy as he doesn't age and Buffy does, as the bartender and Andrew point out they can't be together for long.

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• Hilarious perfection, touching side plots and characters

I understand the bad reviews as this episode seems pointless given that the series is nearing an ending both do not want to watch yet are anxious to learn what happens to everyone.

And this episode does nothing to further the series along to its inevitable ending.

However, being a writer, I am sure the writers needed a "filler" story while they worked out all the many details of how such a lengthy series filled with characters we all grew to love, would finally end.

And this was the perfect filler or stand alone story.

The chemistry between Angel and Spike is off the charts on the perfection scale. They manage to work some things out while still bickering like little old ladies. The slow motion fight in the bar to a Dean Martin ballad had me howling.

The little old Italian lady--and her servant: again, perfection and laugh out loud hilarious.

The CEO of Rome's W and H offices: another perfect performance. For some reason she was labeled a vampire in the recap here; this was never established, and she was a gem.

I loved the flashbacks and I understand those who did not want Darla and Drusilla to go out with such minor parts, but again, I feel this was a filler episode held until a stall was needed; and as I mentioned earlier, the writers needed time to polish the ending of the series and this was the result.

Ilyria turning into Fred to see Fred's visiting parents was a superb acting job by Amy Acker, and Wesley's reactions were so poignant.

All in all a brilliant episode in every way: guest characters were not just wonderfully entertaining actors, their makeup was as bizarrely entertaining as their performances.

• The Writer In Question

5.2
    The Girl In Question-Angel and Spike travel to Rome with plans to rescue Buffy from their old nemesis The Immortal. While in Italy, they also attempt to retrieve the head of a fallen demon leader to prevent a perilous power struggle between several warring demon clans. Fred's parents come to visit.

Okay, so we've had a run of dark episodes and Angel's last 2 episodes sure can't be light fun! So the writers thought it would be fun to make " the calm before the storm" episode where cast can have fun before the big finish, but there is nothing fun about this episode! Watching Angel and Spike act like a couple of love sicked school boys is not a good way pass an hour. Sure, it's Buffy, but Angel haven't you been concerned with Nina, what about Cordelia? Spike, you slept with Harmony just as fast as the moment you could touch something again. I know SMG missed another chance for her to return to the Buffyverse as Buffy again, but this was no way to work around it. Watching a Buffy stand in, again, is just silly. What's even sillier is the whole Immortal plot. Not to mention, the final appearences of Darla and Drusilla on the series is completely anti-climatic! Here they are and here they go in the matter of seconds! Another thing, how did Angel describe Buffy's appearence wrong? Have they writing team forgotten what SMG looks like? She has green eyes, not blue! The Italian Wolfram and Hart even Andrew returning didn't help this storyline out!

But there are some great things about this episode like the sub-plot with Fred's parents coming for a visit. As soon as you see them your just heartbroken that they will find out the turht but then Fred appears to welcome them. Wesley is shocked but it's Illyria, who seems to have another power which she can look like whatever she choses. How conveninent yet watching Illyria play Fred is amazing to watch. Especially that even without her Illyria make-up and outift, Amy Acker is still creepy playing the character. I just love how she switches between perky and monotone with ease. Wesley's reaction is understandable as Illyria's hidden ability could allow him to see Fred but he knows it's all a lie and she'll never be her. All and All, besides the great sub-plot, "A Girl In Question" tries to be a fun filler but ultimately is a dull dud. Like Andrew siad, "Buffy has matured, you guys should probably, too." Amen, Andrew, AMEN!
  • This is by far the funniest episode I could've hoped to see from this series. Boreanaz and Marsters demonstrate their flawless chemistry here, and engage in some both hilarious and poignant moments.

This is by far the funniest episode I could've hoped to see from this series. Boreanaz and Marsters demonstrate their flawless chemistry here, and engage in some both hilarious and poignant moments. Everything regarding The Immortal, especially the flashbacks, are pure gold. I frequently enjoy this episode, and it was a nicely placed one just before the conclusion of the series. I can't imagine David & James not having a great time shooting this one.

I think I prefer that they couldn't get Sarah Michelle Gellar to guest star in this episode. I believe that forces the writers to have Angel & Spike work out their issues amongst themselves instead of directly with Buffy because they really don't need to do that. Having Tom Lenk guest star here helped drive the points across further, and to make the fellas realize they need to move on, despite the fact that they will always love the same woman. The episode served its purpose, and allowed the fans to see both of these beloved characters make a mends from their childish quarrelling (as humorous as it was).

On a final note, it was nice to have Julie Benz & Juliet Landau come back, even in flashback. Nice final curtain call for the ladies on this show, but might I say that James Marsters has the best, the funniest delivery of a line, ever with "SON OF A B----!!!" I crack up every single time to that. This is a treasure of an episode, and in a series that is centered around a lot of darkness and grim foreboding, this is a welcome pleasure. Thanks to all who made this one happen!
  • So much for getting to see Buffy one last time.

What a let down. Instead of shelling out the money for Gellar to make a cameo as the Buffy spinoff winds to a close, the producers clam up and opt to simply show the back of some blonde girl who is dancing with "The Immortal."

I had always hoped Angel and Buffy would find a way to be together, but I hated how Spike and Angel were reduced to lovesick puppies, pining over their lost fling (at least in the case of Spike, it was a fling).

In hindsight, I'd have preferred they simply leave Buffy out and helped wrap up the Angel storyline with a plot of actual substance. This episode does not set up the masterpiece of a finale like it should have.
  • The gypsies are filthy people and we shall speak of them no more!

The Girl In Question is a great, funny episode that has extremely bad placement and as a result is picked on by fans. There's nothing really bad about this episode (though it isn't perfect) and it has some great scenes and lines.

First of all, I'm getting the bad out of the way. The Darla and Drusilla angered me no end. I'm a huge Darla fan and she's my all time favourite TV character and this is her send off? She's been central to a lot of storylines and thentire S2 is based around her and for her last appearance we get a 2 minute long scene where she swoons over the Immortal? I'd honestly rather her last appearance be in "Inside Out", a much superior episode where she was pivotal and necessary, rather than this where she's treated like a lovesick puppy. And Dru? Dru was regulated to 2 lines and that's the last of her. It's extremely annoying and Darla and Dru should have been in much more scenes.

Another thing that annoyed me was Angel and Spike chasing Buffy around like lovesick puppies. Forgotten about Cordy already Angel? Decided even though you're banging Nina, you're gonna go off visiting your ex? At least Spike wasn't off with other women. This just felt like a huge fanserviceathon aiming to please both Bangel and Spuffy fans and failed miserably. Just pick one! Preferably Spike, Bangel sucked.

Aside from this the episode is fun, fun, fun. Ilona Costa Bianchi was absolutely hilarious and stole the show. She was so over the top it was funny. And magnificently acted.

The Illyria scenes were excellent and really quite hard to watch her masquerade as Fred. It reminded me of Fred and really made me miss her. The fact that they kept Fred's death a secret from her own parents was cruel but necessary- why upset them? The final scene with them shows Illyria is becoming more human and is developing feelings for Wesley. Wesley's face says it all- he never wants to be with her, onl Fred. It's sad to watch.

TGIQ is a funny episode but has some issues. All in all, it's worth a watch.
  • The Girl in Question

The Girl in Question was a perfect and classic episode of Angel's Fifth Season. I really enjoyed watching this episode as Angel and Spike go to Italy in order to rescue Buffy from The Immortal and retrieve a severed demon head to prevent two demon families from fighting. Wesley continues to work with Illyria who is struggling with losing most of her powers, and their interactions are fun to watch. I also liked the flash backs where we see the past between Spike, Angel, and the Immortal who slept with both Darla and Druscilla. I thought the bar scene was cool, and the scene after where Spike and Angel ride a moped together chasing after the stolen demon head. The Italian Wolfram and Hart was interesting as was it's CEO. I think this episode definitely helps Angel and Spike move on, realizing Buffy is over them and has moved on. I look forward to watching the final two episodes!!!!!!!
  • some very random plot points with a rather pointless ending, but still enjoyable...

7.1
    spike and angel jet off to italy to reclaim a severed head and to \'save\' buffy from her latest love, the Immortal. i love angel and spike\'s bickering, their dynamics are great, but the whole plot seemed a bit contrived and odd. never-the-less, the flashbacks were entertaining. im a bit disapointed buffy wasn\'t shown properly, but what can you do. and angel and spike making an attempt to move on? ha, i dont think they\'ll get far.

meanwhile, illyria takes on fred\'s form when the burkles come to visit. god, poor wesley. i wanted him to tell them that fred was dead, and i was kind of hoping the burkles would find out that fred and wes had been together, but i guess that was a bit innapropriate considering the situation. i wonder what will happen in the future. will the burkles ever find out that fred is dead? not something thats ever adressed, so i wont waste sleep on it. still, its something i would have liked to see.

overall, the episode jerked me from laughter to sadness as it switched from spike and angel to wesley and the burkles. it was an odd contrast, and made me feel a bit weird. the last scene with wesley and illyria/fred was heartwrenching (\"be blue, be anything. just dont be her. dont ever be her.\") in contrast with spike and angels last scene (\"Can\'t we just...lock her away in a box where no one can ever touch her? You know? Like we did with Pavayne?\") which was quietly amusing. im not so sure what to make of it.
  • A pointless episode in so many ways!!!

2.3
    This is probably one of my least favourite Angel episodes. Nothing really happens, its basically a comedy episode with very bad jokes. Even the Andrew parts weren't funny, and they usually are!!! Theres no real plot to it, it was to be honest pretty rubbish by Angel standards. For a starters why even bother doing an episode with buffy in if SMG isn't involved. Seeing the back of a blonde girls head is supposed to be enough to bring closure to the whole Buffy-Angel-Spike relationship!!???!!! Perhaps the only redeeming part of that story was at the end where A & S decided to move on!!!!

This is such a wasted episode, because instead of having this silly little attempt to tackle the best triangle in the show, they could have been building on the story of Angel supposedly going dark in attempts to gain acces to the circle of the black thorn. Developing that plot in some way would have made that whole storyline far more interesting and probably added a little more impact to the following episodes. It would also have given the storyline a little more credibility, as aopposed to something just tacked on in the last couple of episodes!!!

Overall this episode just shouldn't have been made!!!! In my opinion anyway!!!!
  • Hey *waving arms* I could have donned a blonde wig and played Buffy!

The bulk of this episode had me in hysterics. Seems Spike and Angel have an old nemesisiss (lol) who goes by the name "The Immortal." And away we go to Italy. Spike tags along because of Buffy being there, much to Angels annoyance. They actually do have a mission there, to retrieve the head of a demon leader. This mission falls by the wayside as Angel and Spike scramble to find Buffy. They find Andrew (yay!) who tells them that Buffy is DATING The Immortal. I give props to both David and James for the hilarious scenes we get while they are on their quest. Another thing important happens in this ep: The Burkles come for a visit. They find a nervous Wes who is about to usher them into his office and tell them what became of Fred. But lo and behold Fred (as we all know and love her) shows up. Seems Illyria can turn herself back to Fred at will. Wes is not amused, but he plays along for the sake of the Burkles. We never did get to see Buffy, just a whir of blonde hair. Spike and Angel come back to L.A. and realize they have to move on, because Buffy sure is. (About time!)
  • Angel and Spike travel to Italy to retrieve a demon's body for a client and also hope to find and rescue Buffy from an old nemesis, the Immortal.

I classify this episode as out of character because the show spent most of the previous five seasons showing us how cool Angel and Spike are, yet in this episode they are totally off their game. The show has given us humorous episodes before, but by using the characters, not breaking them. I thought the first few gags at the characters\' expense were good, but that got old quickly. I found the episode frustrating because the Immortal was nothing more than a plot device that allegedly showed how Buffy had moved on and they hadn\'t(?) I feel that was wrong to do them, especially so close to the end of the season. Angel and Spike have matured, grown wiser, and to some extent had moved on; so this episode was out of place in the arc of the series. Viewed as a stand alone episode, it was very funny, but sometimes that isn\'t enough
  • the one without buffy thankfully!

5.6
    this episode is what i usually hate! and i know that everyone hates the episode. but it is really not that horrible. it was definitely lame but also had some very funny moments. my favorite scene was when angel and spike in the club hit each other at the same time.

the rest is a little pointless but i like that angel and that blond guy are able to get over themselfs a little bit and know that buffy is trash and they deserve better.
  • Damn this probably is one of the funniest episodes.

The Girl in Question is yet another great comedy episode in Angels fifth and to bad final season. The episode has Angel and Spike obsess about Buffy and going to Italy to rescue her from 'The Immortal', an enemy Spike and Angel know only to well.

Even though this episode is a little strange as Angel wasn't so Buffy obsessive the last to years and it's a little disrespectfull towards Cordelia it's still a humerous episode and because of that I will overlook the fact I just mentioned.

It's always fun to see Tom Lenk in his role of Andrew, I just wished we got to see Sarah Michelle Gellar or Michelle Trachtenberg in this episode to.

I loved the CEO of the Italian branch of Wolfram and Heart, man she was hilarious.

Although I'm not happy about the fact that this is the third to last episode wich imo they should have used to build up to the finally this episode remains perhaps the best comedy episode in Angel.
  • Great Illyria episode!

I cant really say anything about Angel and Spike parts of episode since they are really just filler for this episodes real plot.

Parts with Fred\'s parents and Illyria really show that you dont need extensive makeup to make Illyria. I\'ve watched this episode many times and I\'m always amazed at how easily Amy can change from Illyria to Fred in single scene just by changing tone of her voice and expression on her face. She is complete Illyria even in Fred\'s clothes and face.

I would have given this episode 10, but there is too much Angel and Spike so I have to lower score by one point.

I\'m still hoping for Illyria & Spike spinoff.
  • angel episode wot went on and wot i wood ave liked 2 see.

i loved this episode. seening spike and angel trying to get alone was funny. it was also great to see the fang 4 together just the way it should be. however i wish buffy had been in the episode. it wood ave been amusing 2 see her, spike and angel togther.

seeing andrew in it was funny, despite having two women on his arm he was still kind of a nerd. i wood have liked to see more flashbacks of the fanged 4 as they are just great together. it was fun seening mad drusilla again. This episode was my fave angel episode ever!!!!
  • I use \"silly\" with all of its best possible meanings. A more appropriate classification would be \"Tear-jerkingly hysterical.\" ;)

I ... could\'ve done with a dropped binder.

More on that in a bit.

With Fred dead and Knox shot, the Practical Science Division pretty much shut down.

But Illyria does seem terribly interested in the world she so recently despised (I\'ve just got to go with the feminine article for this review because it\'s going to get too confusing otherwise).

It\'s possible that with much of her power drained, she needed more information left over from the shell she\'d arrived in. She was exploring her new limitations while still maintaining what distance she could.

And then she discovered a new source of strength, I think.

Fred had always had an amazing heart. While they never explored this point specifically, I feel her love was part of the meaning she found in her life. When we met her, she was reaching out to help people, and so incredibly brave -- putting herself in danger to help Cordy, luring Angelus away from Wes and Gunn -- that strength, so otherwise undefined, seemed to make her indestructible, and it was something Illyria found she could explore.

And found she had opportunity to do so.

It was interesting to me that when she appeared as Fred, she appeared in the dress she\'d ripped from Fred\'s body when she sarcophomorphed into the two rolls of electrical tape Illyria generally went about in. It\'s hard to imagine anyone stitching it back together so it must have been part of the morph.

Speaking of haberdashery ...

Just remembering Spike saying the duster was a second skin, and remembering the times it had vanished -- it wasn\'t in evidence in \"Tabula Rasa,\" I don\'t think he was wearing it when we saw him in the basement in B-S7, then it was destroyed in the closing of the Hellmouth, and it was spectral while he was a ghost (Pavayne made it vanish with his mind and he made it come back) and then it recorporealized with the box o\' flashy. It can\'t have been anything like the same duster, but it\'s nice he had the same regard for it.

That puzzle -- the clothing that vamps wear also not casting a reflection -- has never been explained to my satisfaction, but it doesn\'t really have that much of an impact, so ...

Sorry for the sidetrack. Back to Illyria. Back to her exploration of what gave Fred her strength. Back to her project.

When the Burkles arrived, Wes knew he\'d been terribly remiss about notifying next of kin. The conversation was about to get very awkward when who should walk in but ... well ... Fred.

So much more than not being able to handle their grief, I think Illyria, who\'d always had a very nuanced relationship with power, had no interest in limiting the amount of grief in the world. As she\'d explored Fred, as she\'d reviewed her memories, I think her understanding of Wesley had taken on a greater interest than when he was simply one more bug under her feet. With the drawing away of her power, she\'d become more ... Fred-sized in her shell, and while she was clearly more powerful -- I don\'t think Fred could do what she did to that car in \"NFA\" by herself and would\'ve snapped like a twig in Hamilton\'s hands -- I think she discovered something about Fred that was of interest to her -- their shared interest in Wesley.

No time like the present. Enter the Burkles, all sweetness and light as they always are, and Illyria makes a very quick decision.

Let\'s explore this \"love\" thing.

I think her\'s was slightly less vulgar and certainly less humorous than what was going on on the other side of the globe.

* grabs a microphone and a double scotch on the rocks *

Spin it, ZJ

\"Take Me In Your Arms\" by Dean Martin

Once upon a lovely time
    Many million dreams ago
    Once there was a man in love dear
    Many million dreams ago

Once he thought he had a sweetheart
    Then he broke the golden rule
    Never take your love for granted
    Wise men often play the fool

Now he\'d like to say I\'m sorry
    Can\'t you see within his heart
    Without you there\'s no tomorrow
    Why should true love have to part

Take me in your arms
    I promise to be true
    Never again I\'ll stray
    Away from you

Take me in your arms
    I promise to be true
    Never again I\'ll stray
    Away from you

That music was perfect. Absolutely perfect. The running around was comical and some would say absurdly so. But let\'s not forget a moment\'s inattention that ended with our boys chained up while the Immortal enjoyed Darla and Drusilla concurrently. And like 10 years later Angel was cursed with a soul and lost track of all of them for nearly a century. And honestly, Spike got pinched for tax evasion? I was certain his death would\'ve made him exempt.

They couldn\'t allow the same thing to happen to Buffy.

And let\'s face it, after all the Sturm und Drang of B-S7, Buffy was due for some glowing.

Spike (of Darla): She\'s glowing, mate.
    Angelus: No she isn\'t ...
    Darla: Little bit!

I don\'t understand Dru sometimes, tho. If the Immortal felt like sunshine, wouldn\'t he have been burning the flesh from her body?

I guess not from any parts that would show.

Angelus: Did he hurt you?
    Darla: Not until I asked him to.

Oh jeez was that a nice last long look at Darla and Dru.

How to resolve the undying love between Spike and Buffy and Angel and Buffy?

Don\'t.

Y\'know, I found this to be a perfectly acceptable way for them to leave this. They\'d go to see Buffy and something would always be in the way. Andrew (I guess Buffy and the Immortal took Dawn along for a double-date -- unless he was doing them concurrently, which I hadn\'t thought of before and now wish that I hadn\'t), the little demon guy I so wish they\'d ripped the ears from (although the game of keepaway was fun) ...

Also, I can\'t believe I missed this before now, but consider the phrase:

\"You geeve us the money, we geeve you the head.\" :o

Another moment where context makes all the difference. If there hadn\'t been a physical head in a bowling bag flying around, that offer becomes //verr\'// naughty.

And standing most exquisitely in the way is ...

Ilona Costa Bianchi: \"CIAO! Benvenuti! WELcome!\"

Ha. Ha. Ha.

ICB: \"Ah, Spike! You are the very meaning ondsome. You take my breath away. Ah, I have no breath.\"

Oh, I\'m not so sure about //that//. Let me here welcome one of the most pneumatic characters in the entire \'verse.

ICB: \"I am Ilona Costa Bianchi. I\'m the CEO of the Roman offices of Wolfram e Hart. And please, we are at your disposal. Whatever it is that you want, we give to you. If you want the world, we give you the world. We give you two worlds, in fact, because this is our way!\"

* wants very badly to need legal counsel in Rome all of a sudden *

Even before we meet this absolutely delightful treasure, Joss has scattered a late-night workforce around in the lobby of Wolfram e Hart. The demons and the lawyers all have this wonderfully detached European air about them which is just stage-setting.

Anyway, for such an improbably magical creature (she certainly seemed to defy all known laws of gravity) she only has a dozen lines, so let\'s quote them all, shall we, courtesy of the Buffy Dialogue Database:

The Lines of Ilona Costa Bianchi

\"And you, what an honor. The great Angelus! Ah, yes, of course. The gypsies, they gave you your soul. The gypsies are filthy people! * spits * And we shall speak of them no more!\"

\"Now, let us go into my office and we talk like adults. Come. Pietro! Vai un circare un caffe e dolce qual checosa di mangiare!\"

\"Please, make yourselves as though you were at home. Your problems, they are no more. You have no more problems. What are your problems?\"

\"Ah, The Immortal. Ah. Then your friend is lucky. Ha ha. I have had dealings with The Immortal many times, and I must say that the outcome is always ... most satisfactory.\"

\"The Immortal doesn\'t use spells. He considers them dirty. Dirty tricks for dirty people. Like gypsies. * spits * We will speak of them no more!\"

Angel: \"Look, don\'t you guys have, like, an Italian Wesley here?\"
    ICB: \"Yes. Yes, we have, but he\'s taking a nap! And I do not need him to tell me what is already widely known, that The Immortal does not use magic.\"

\"We know all about your mission to retrieve the Capo di Famiglia. And I have to say, right now it seems a bit more important than trying to pry your friend off of The Immortal. Your head is in great danger. We have already received a ransom note. It was addressed to you via our offices. I took the liberty of sneaking the peek. We must hurry because the drop is about to take place in less than one hour.\"

\"No, no, no, no! The two of you are so precious. But no! This is a civilized country. We do these things all the time. Somebody gets kidnapped, somebody pays the money. Everybody goes home happy. Grazie. Prego. Kiss-kiss. We already have the money ready to go.\"

ICB: \"Now, what happened to the drop? No grazie, prego, kiss-kiss?\"
    Angel: \"Grazie, prego, ka-boom.
    ICB: \"Oh, they always do this to first-timers in this country. Did I not mention that?\"

... and ...

\"No, no, no, no! I love the two of you so much, but brute force will only get your precious head smooshed. You have done such fine quality work. Now, please, relax. Let us handle it from here. Sometimes you have to put your fate in a higher power.\"

I ... really can\'t believe Hamilton isn\'t constantly in Rome ... auditing or ... something.

The button on the Rome trip was left to Andrew, who put it all into perspective:

Andrew: \"Spike, is Angel crying? You may want to hold the waterworks, big guy. The Immortal\'s cool and all, but he ain\'t all that. He\'s got his flaws. The point is she\'s moving on. You guys do the same, and you might catch her one day. One of you, anyway. But you keep running in place, you\'re gonna find she\'s long gone. Buffy loves both of you, but she\'s gotta live her life. People change. You guys should try it sometime.\"

Moving on. Angel with his feelings for Nina, Spike with a potentially cool gig flying around the world in the W&H jet fighting the good fight (perhaps more than once again in Italy, so there\'s perhaps ultimately better hope for Spuffy), and Buffy slowly prying herself off of the Immortal.

The resolve was too simple and required nothing of our heroes (beyond a blast which both survived -- heck, Spike got a load of shoes out of the deal, making his dream in B-S7x22 - \"Chosen\" perhaps prophetic). The Immortal -- with, apparently, an even faster jet -- getting the Capo di Famiglia to the W&H offices in L.A., popping up for one eppy and vanishing forever, Spike and Angel brooding in their offices, Harmony, Gunn and Lorne not having much to do at all in this eppy, which is interesting because ...

Flowing through the offices like a river of pain is the adorable little Winifred Burkle-shaped Old One.

Wesley\'s resolve was dark enough for all of them.

In exploring the concept of love, Illyria learned that one cannot simply resemble and emulate an object of affection. If it\'s not true, it\'s rejected as artifice. And Wes could barely maintain his composure throughout that terribly awkward and unexpected visitation.

But he couldn\'t say anything until they were gone, either. At which point his devastation surfaced completely.

Illyria had initially balked at his suggestion that she go to the lab.

At the end, her only comment in reverting to her indestructible Smurfdom was \"As you wish.\"

Which interests me because it seems to suggest she\'s also learned the power of teamwork -- when to be the unassailable god-thing and when to conform to the will of the group.

Which brings us back to the dropped binder.

Really, no one else reacted in surprise and alarm to the vision of Fred Burkle apparently returned from the dead?

I get that any gasp of astonishment, anyone running up to her and asking if she was ok, any acknowledgement that something was wrong would indeed have been hard to explain to the remaining Burkles.

So it just hangs there. And much like Angel stopping and remembering the head in the bag sitting on the bar while both he and Spike dashed onto the dancefloor (\"Dancing. Why did it have to be dancing?\" -- fun line), the complete lack of response from everyone else in the building ... rings a little hollow.

But not to fret.

The episode told the part of the story that needed telling in the time it had to do it.

Illyria, through her exploration of Fred, learned how to be part of the team that would take on the Circle of the Black Thorn.

And Angel and Spike were left without resolution but not without hope.

And ... no shortage of adventure in their very near future.

I liked this one. I liked it a //lot//. Emotionally it fits perfectly into the downward spiral of pain it precedes and is a light, shiny spot of fun to remind us all what we loved about the best parts of the \'verse and did the best it could with what it had -- there was no way to resolve the Angel/Buffy/Spike triangle once and for all without disappointing large sectors of the fanbase, so it played a nice game of keep-away.

Well done, Joss. Nicely played. :)
  • Carol Davis

Carol davis: A bit nerdy, when she first started out in being a [comedy] actress, but now: She is older, more seasoned... I recalled her being mildly funny in the mid 80\\\'s comedy feature, \\\"Mannnequin\\\"..... [A movie featuring a then young and still sexy kim catrall, before she did \\\"big trouble in little china\\\"] I couldn\\\'t believe that thiat was her in this episode as the italian c.e.o. branch of wolf ram & heart, and though she was HOT!: All tan and sexy from head to toes, and what cha say about them BIG GAZONGAZ\\\'S?!?!?!?.... Grrrrrrrrrrrowwwwwwwwllllllll...... Now THAT\\\'S \\\"grazia\\\", \\\"ciao\\\", \\\"prego\\\" \\\"matta bella\\\"!!!!!!... I didn\\\'t pay much attention to this episode before, but I did this time out, and i\\\'m going to record it..... Kn owing that hot babe CAROL DAVIS, actually makde the episode viewable.... HUUUUUUUH....
  • Upset that no Buffy character guest starred, but Andrew. A very funny episode.

I\\\'ve been obsessed with Buffy and Angel for about 5 years now. I have all seasons of both series\\\' on DVD. I was depressed to find out that they were both coming to an end soon. I so hoped that anyone of the Buffy stars would Guest Star in Angel season 5. I was very happy with the idea of Spike coming back and Andrew\\\'s guest Starring in 2 episodes. I enjoyed this episode a lot, because it was connected to Buffy, although none of the main Buffy characters appeared.I think it's funny how Spike and Angel both declined, when Gunn asked them to go to Italy to retrieve the body of a Demon, yet they both jumped on the case, when they found out that Buffy, now living in Rome, after closing the Hellmouth is involved with their nemesis, The immortal. Thinking it's a spell they go to Rome to try to rescue Buffy only to find out that she's moved on it's real. I enjoyed the rivalry between Angel, Spike and the Immortal. Also found it funny that all Buffy\\\'s lovers happened to be immortal. The Wolfram and Heart CEO was also very funny with her accent. I found it interesting that the offices in LA and Rome were identical, but figured they didn\\\'t want to make a second set.
  • My love for the Angel series comes from the writers' ability to make me feel emotion and concern for every character. This episode sums up why I love Angel.

I love how this episode is the last real comedic show before the end. It was needed to get us through the seriousness of the end. The spat between Angel and Spike is classic. It is unfortunate that Sarah Michelle Gellar couldn't make an actual guest appearance, but such is life. Deep down, Angel and Spike are hopeless romantics with an equal level of love for Buffy. My favorite part is a flashback to 1864 (?) when Angel & Spike discover that the Immortal fornicated with Darla and Dru. Dru says a line that I quote to this day..."He felt like sunshine." Ha!
  • Worst. Angel. Episode. EVER!!! No question.

0.0
    Keep in mind, the only reason I even give this episode a 0.0 is that I can't give it a lower score.

The characters of Angel and Spike were completely butchered in this crapfest. Considering Angel's behavior with Cordelia during the 100th episode only 8 episodes prior, to be behaving this way when it came to Buffy was totally out of character. It was like watching a trauma patient regress back to his childhood, as the last 5 seasons of character development were thrown out the window for the sake of appealing to the moronic B/A fanbase. The acting, the corny as hell dialogue (god awful cookie-dough analogy), and the placing of this episode all contribute to this abomination being regarded as a top contender for (and in the case of this site, the absolute) worst episode ever.

The only redemable thing about this episode was the b-plot involving Wesley and Illyria with her shapeshifting abilities to resemble Fred to fool the Burkle's into thinking that she's still alive. This was a good plot and a great step of development of the Illyria character and Wesley's inner turmoil.

I have seen episodes where both A and B plots were bad, I have seen eps where there was only one plot which sucked, I've seen episodes where one plot was good and one plot was bad. This episode was worse than any of them.

When a good secondary-plot can't save an entire episode from making the "worst ever" category, it really says something about the primary plot doesn't it.

Simply the worst 60 minute show in ATS history, and the worst episode of "ANY" television series (baring, MAYBE, Spirit Folk from ST: Voyager).
  • I just want to write about Darla in the Angel series, coz she\'s my fave character, I really love her character!

I do agree that Buffy is better off with spike coz i think that Angel\'s true love was Darla. C\'mon they are so similar they both changed to good people and they have a baby together Connor.
    can you tell me any episode where someone tells connor about his mother please i am dying to see an episode of that. where connor hears about his mother\'s life etc. please tell me.

I think that the pregnancy thing with cordi is kinda dumb. but hey the series is great its really funny and gunn, lorne, wes and fred are all so funny they really are a great team.

what else...

oh yeah the begining-ish part was so sad when doyle died, he is a really funny n intelligent character. plus i gotta say he was very good looking lol!

anyway like i said please can someone give me the name of the episode or episodeS where connor finds out about his mother Darla.

Thanks
  • Angel and Spike fighting over Buffy ... I laughed so hard! It was priceless really!

While I was disappointed that Sarah Michelle Geller wasn't able to actually be in the episode I must say that her absence was filled with lots of fun! I really think that if she'd have been there to interact with Angel and Spike the episode wouldn't have been so funny. Watching these two Champions reduced to schoolboys over the beautiful girl is brilliant ... and I've been waiting all season for this!!

Of course, in between the banter and posturing, you get the fact that these two Alpha males actually respect eachother a lot more than they will ever let on.

It really makes me wonder what this "Immortal" must be like ... Darla, Druscilla and Buffy? Maybe he just enjoys making Angel and Spike squirm.
  • This was the funniest episode ever!!!

Spike and Angel together is the funniest ever. They both think they don't like each other, but they do. That's why they are still together. They both are cute, but Spike is hotter. I think Joss should make more Buffy and Angel episodes, same people right where it left off. Girl in Question was hilarious. With those two you can't go wrong.
    And note to Angel, Buffy and Spike's love was more than his and Buffy's. B and S had chemistry and passion, heat, desire, and lust. B and A just had a secret mysterious fling.
  • Angel and Spike chase Buffy around Italy. But Sarah Michelle Gellar wouldn't show, so instead of coming up with a good Domesday penultimate show, the crew went ahead with it and filmed the back of Buffy's head through this charmless, unfunny, worst episod

3.9
    Buffy and Angel had the forbidden love of all time. They loved, they lost and Angel got his own spin off show. So there really shouldn't be any Buffy in it, and even if there desperately must be for the sake of the series continuing (which it really wasn't), they could at least bother getting Sarah Michelle Gellar in to do it.
    With two episodes to judgment day, and a billion loose ends to tie off, all they could come up with was a pathetically plotless Italian romp. The plotline is basically, Angel and Spike go to Italy to find Buffy and stop 'The Immortal', find they're dating, and run after them. And run. And run. The little slow-mo fight scene frankly bored me, and for a non-action fan I've sat through a lot of meaningless fight scenes in Buffy and Angel. The humour was crude and pathetic (the cookie-dough thing was only funny once) and completely destroyed a lot of stuff the series has been building up for years. Spike and Angel almost seem friends at some points, un-cookie dough Buffy suddenly starts dating some undeveloped, completely made-up characcter known only as 'The Immortal' and Andrew (one of my fave Buffy characters) has totally lost his charm. Or gained it, as is technically the case, but the whole Andrew-is-a-geeky-wimp is thrown totally out of the window.
    One thing to be said is the pretty excellent Illyria scenes. Fred's parents visit and Illyria masquerades as her to fool them. there is some good Wesley-Illyria dialogue, but if you have to watch the episode just for these scenes, you might as well skip the others. You ain't missing nothing.
  • Loved it.

The classic combination of Spike & Angel sparring over their old flame while enduring an obviously more powerful and sly Immortal's stabs at ticking them off, well, I found the entire ep. a lot of fun to watch. The Italian segments, especially, were excellent, especially at the Rome division of Wolfram & Hart, LOL I laugh just remembering the scenes played out there.

Just my opinion, filler or not, it's excellent Angel, one of my all time fave episodes, in fact. It didn't push the story arc along, that's for sure, but it was entertaining as heck, and I'm glad they did it, for whatever reasons, because it came out as superb farce, which I enjoyed immensely.
  • Angel and Spike in a little romp?. What's not to like?.

"The Girl In Question" has to be, without a doubt, one of the most underappreciated and misunderstoof episodes of "Angel" in it's short, five year history. The episode has been very much maligned right from the moment it aired and it hasn't seemed to let up just yet. Why the hate?. I really don't know. Maybe because, at this point, the show had been cancelled and some fans saw it as a very non important episode to have so late in the game. I mean, these were the last episodes, and some probably thought that we needed something more. But we got more. We got it in the episodes leading up to this, and we got it in the final few episodes after this. Are there other reasons?. Well, season five had a mission to do more stand alone type shows, and that was met with some criticism from people as well. In the Buffy/Angel/Joss Whedon world, you will come across fans that are just sticklers for something to criticize. There could be a few reasons why this episode was not liked much by a lot of people, but I can't think of a single one that would justify any of it. Because really, this episode was not bad at all. How could it be?. It had lots of talk of Buffy and info on her and Dawn's whereabouts, Andrew, and really, any time Spike and Angel are together as a team, well, it always makes for good entertainment. The fact that they turned it into some kind of foreign vacation romp just made it all the better. And the funnier. Basically, what I saw was an episode that, according to the writers, was the show's last hurrah for a fun little romp before settling into the seriousness and direness of the remaining episodes, and before Angel and team head off into that final sunset. For that, I say that they did the right thing. It may be not be classic Angel, or the best of the season, but it was a funny, informative, fun, and well done episode that does not deserve the scrutiny it has received since it's airing. I think a lot of people missed the point. So, after all of this, what exactly happened?...

Buffy and Spike are on a mission. They are to travel to Italy to recover the head of a family member for some new clients. They realize that since they will be in the area, they might as well check up on Buffy, since it is known that she has taken up residence there. To add more fire to the proceedings, Angel and Spike find out that Buffy is involved with a great foe of theirs. The Immortal. Not involved as in fighting, but involved as in "involved". Through some flashbacks(and flashbacks always equal 'yeah' in my book), we see that The Immortal has crossed paths with Angel and Spike before. In a dazzling scene, we see Darla and Dru(welcome back ladies!)under the thrall of The Immortal and driving Angel and Spike nuts, and now he is doing it again with Buffy. Now, Angel and Spike are revenge.

There was rumors going around that Sarah Michelle Geller herself was to appear in this episode. As you can see, she didn't. She was unavailable and couldn't make it. Sure. I seriously doubt she would have anyways. Boreanaz was kind enough to go back to her show for the end, but I really don't see her doing the same for him. Anyways, we only get quick flashes of a blonde girl that is supposed to be Buffy and that's it. It made the whole thing seem kind of silly, but would the episode of benefited more if Geller had done the episode?. Possibly, but it seems that the characters from her show have a bad attitude towards Angel and what he's doing this season, so maybe it would not of been better to see Buffy in her sometimes "smug cluelessness". Because you know she would stand there and accuse Angel of being evil and all that when she really doesn't know what's happening or what she is talking about. This wouldn't be the first time. And after hearing how the Scooby Gang thinks of him, thru Andrew in "Damage", would you want to see it?. Would we want our first glimpse of Buffy to be a bad one?. There would of been some good if she were actually there, but if you think about it, and think of those reasons, maybe it wouldn't of been. But it seems that SMG has a thing towards the show. You NEVER see her at any event in her show's seven year run, and word came the other day(from Mr. Geller)that she won't be involved in any future Buffy projects. Hmm. Well, enough about that. This really isn't about her. But Angel and Spike, going to her apartment, find Andrew there. It's a funny reunion for him and Spike, but Angel doesn't know him. Andrew was a funny character, and he had some really great lines during his tenure on Buffy. This is his second appearance on this show(the first being the magnificent "Damage"), and he is always welcome. Also welcome, is Carole Raphaelle Davis, who plays Ilona, the head of the Wolfram And Hart division there in Italy. She is a whirlwind of a presence, and her va va voom treatment towards Angel and Spike is fun. She brings much oomph to the proceedings. But this storyline was a lot of fun. Angel and Spike continue to forget what their main goal here is, and in the process, keep losing the head they are supposed to be retrieving. It's also a very comical episode. Angel and Spike on the scooter?. Classic. Angel wearing that awful red and white jacket?. Nice. Spike loses his duster here, and it was something fans mourned. As if it were the death of a person. No, this episode was fun, funny, and a rollicking good time.

A side storyline in the episode is definitley not all that funny. Fred's parents, The Burkles, come to the agency to see their daughter. Of course, their daughter is gone. Illyria sees who Fred was, her memories, and how Wesley feels about her. And when Fred's parents come, Illyria does a remarkable impression of our beloved Fred. It was all Fred. The Fred we love and remembered. Fooling her parents, but not Wesley, it is a strong scenario. Much kudos to Amy Acker for her continuing acting talents, to go from Illyria to Fred. This is a very emotional part. It has been since this whole thing started, and this is just heartbreaking. The Burkles think their lovely daughter is alive and well, but Wes trails behind them, as Fred/Illyria gives them a tour of the agency, knowing full well the lie her parents are getting. You can imagine how incredibly tough this is for Wes. Fred was his dream girl. He lost her to this "thing", and now she goes and acts as if Fred is right there in front of him. Wes tells Illyria to never do such a thing again. Fred is gone. "His" Fred is gone. She is not her, and she never will or can be. It's still new and painful for him, and he doesn't want to see the love of his life when he knows that it's fake. Denisoff and Acker continue to do some of their best work in these later episodes, and this is just another one to add to the list. A remarkably well acted and written B storyline.

So, "The Girl In Question" is not the horrible mistake or mess that some fans will lead you to believe. It is a perfectly fine episode with a lot of good things going for it. More than any bad things. If this episode aired earlier in the season, before the show was cancelled, would some of the fans think differently towards it?. Maybe. Maybe not. But the episode is a fun romp.
  • if Sarah Michelle Gellar came back

4.5
    This episode would have been better if Sarah Michelle Gellar came back to reprise her role as heroine, Buffy, because that's what the fans expected. While the episode seemed to have no point, it would have been nice to see Sarah for the last time. (and are her eyes blue green or brown???)