Angel

Unleashed

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 15, 2003 on The WB

• the sun

how about the sun on Angel on this episode seemed like no effect on him wtf ?

always with when he is with Nina the sun upon him >>>>>>>>>>>

Is this a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and what the whole ceremony about what are those thoughts really radical>>>>>>>>>>>

• Furs a flying

UNLEASHED

The Good;

Especially love the gag of Nina asking Angel if he's Frankenstein and Angel self-consciously rubbing his forehead, Spike's taunting must be getting to him. Nice final scene with Angel making sure to anchor himself to the world once more by hanging out with his friends. The Hyperion has also not been forgotten and a sly dig at Scientology.

The Bad;

A little trite that they give the cryptozoologist to the cult to eat but then abolish the club?

Best line;

Nina; "Angel, he saves a lot of girls?"

Fred; "Girls, guys, puppies, he's pretty much an equal opportunity saver" (presumably Fred has been told of Angel's Orpheus flashback)

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Nasty scenes with Nina about to be eaten alive

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 14,

Cheap Angel; 7 Lorne remarks that hell has frozen over when Angel says their food is on him

Fang Gang in bondage:

Cordy: 5

Angel: 14

Wes: 7

Gunn; 5

Lorne; 5

Fred; 3

Fang gang knocked out: Fred by the kidnappers

Cordy: 15

Groo; 1

Connor; 1

Faith; 1

Fred; 3

Kills; Angel kills one werewolf.

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 45 vamps, 60 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 12 humans, one werewolf

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 14 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Connor; 1

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed;

9;

Total number of Angel Investigations; 5, Spike noticeably absent from the gang at the beginning.

Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes,

Angel Investigations shot: Angel by the security guards

Angel: 14

Wes; 2

Packing heat; Wes with a pistol and unusually Gunn with a shotgun

Wes; 9

Doyle; 1

Angel; 4

Gunn; 3

Fred; 2

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible, Justine

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Nina quite reasonably suspects Angel to be a psycho rapist. Well, not lately. Nina naked and chained (anyone else think she looks a little like Sharon Stone?). A fellow student calls and says he missed Nina in the life drawing class which implies she does nude modelling (she certainly has the figure for it).

Captain Subtext;

Wes not so subtly jealous of Knox whom Fred refers to as being 'Under me' and 'On top of'. The comparison of Angel to the werewolf is clear, he cut himself off from humanity to avoid temptation but ended up losing all value for people and lost his human side anyway, just as Angel might have if Doyle hadn't come along.

Know the face, different character; 5

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Angel once again tortures ruthlessly

Buffy characters on Angel; 16. It would have been nice if Caine the bounty hunter had shown up but as the actor had also played Sajhan maybe that was impractical.

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil

What the fanficcers thought;

Plenty of fic where Oz shows up in LA to help Nina out with what he's learned, if ever there was an ep for him to re-occur on Angel this was it.

Questions and observations;

Lorne's reading not too good lately. Here's a good game for you, match the car to the AI member in the opening scene. The guys refer to being at WR&H for a month. Does Angel detect the werewolf by his scent? He's met one before, Oz in Phases. Spike still lies a lot. Different werewolf makeup than what we see in Buffy and thank god, much more impressive! Note though that Nina has amnesia for her first few transformations just as Oz had. Note it's Lorne who figures out how to find Nina. When Fred tells Nina that Angel was seeing someone does that mean CC or Buffy? Lorne makes an 'extra weight' remark of Angel, is that a joke on DB? Wes refers to the Initiative or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

Marks out of 10; 7/10, enjoyable standalone ep, reminds you of the sort of thing they used to do in season 1

• The Girl Has Claws!

5.9
    Unleashed-Angel helps a newly infected Werewolf named Nina, who is being hunted by a mysterious and wealthy organization. Nina is offered shelter at Wolfram & Hart, but when it turns out that the hunters have a mole in the company, Nina's sanctuary may become a trap.

Now when it comes reusing storylines in the Buffyverse, sometimes to second time around is better than the first! Case and point, Buffy's "Tabula Rasa" and Angel's "Spin The Bottle". But when it comes to Angel take with the whole werewolf storyline, it falls flat. Not to mention, the episode introduced the whole Angel/Nina romance which had to be the worst coupling in Buffyverse history! Not to say, Nina is a bad character. Jenny Mollen does fine in her role, it's just that a relationship didn't have to come from it. What is it with Angel and blondes? But the episode does have it's disturbing moments like when Nina having flashes of her cutting her niece's throat out. But whole eating a werewolf development just doesn't excite, but at least Nina gets some development. There is also the continuing questioning of what taking over Wolfram and Hart means for Team Angel and who should they trust at the facility. Then there is of course, Spike's side comments which are classic. All and All, a mediorce offering with some good laughs(Nina's Frankenstein comment to Angel and his reaction, lol) and parts but pretty much average here.
  • This is what I call a throw away episode.

5.5
    At the beginning of a season there always seems to be episodes that don't advance the main show story line. This is one of those episodes. Angel saves a girl from a werewolf. But she is infected by the werewolf's bite and she becomes a werewolf. Angel Inc. helps her get oriented to her new situation. But the girl is kidnapped by a club of rich people that eats supernatural beings. And Angel saves her from the exotic food club, punishing all the bad people.

My problem with this is none of these characters show up for the big stuff that is coming up later in the season. It doesn't even tell us anything new about Angel's Wolfram and Hart take over. In the end only the club owner and the Wolfram Hart employee are punished, the rich patrons get away.

The exotic food club idea came from news stories of real clubs where rich people pay lots of money to eat exotic animals.
  • Unleashed

Unleashed was a really great episode of Angel. I really enjoyed watching this story unfold. There was action, character development, and classic elements that make the series what it is. I found it interesting that the gang meet and check for surveilence which makes sense in their positions. I thought the Werewolf story line was excellent and it was interesting to get an Angel perspective on this subject as Buffy did with Oz. I thought the dinner club plot was pretty good and interesting. I really look forward to seeing Nina again and more ont his story line. This episode was definitely a set up for future episodes of the series!!!!!!!
  • Wolfy Love

Unleashed is another good but ultimately forgettable episode in a season where the first half is all good but forgettable episodes. It introduces a new love interest (Cordy who, Angel?) Nina and has some good scenes.

I'm undecided on Nina. She's hot, yes. Interesting, yes. Well acted, yes. But not the best character. Certainly not a love interest. Why the writers felt the need to give Angel a love interest this season is beyond me. He's in love with Cordelia, dammit, and just because she's off in a coma isn't reason to make him go for werewolf girl! I like Nina enough but she doesn't have much chemistry with Angel. They're not a good match, in my opinion. The werewolf plot was good but sort of done. It was a big part of Buffy Seasons 2-4 because of Oz and there was no real need for another episode on it. Especially when it conflicts with Buffy's werewolf mythology (which is the right one seeing as it was done first). It was all a ploy to get Nina round in Angel's cells, looking for some hot moonlight action. Well, Angel don't play that game unfortunately. There was also a supreme lack of humour. Angel doesn't do humour nearly as well as Buffy but this episode had very little jokes. Angel was quite irritating this episode. In fact I don't like S5 Angel as he turned into a bit of a whiner. I hate his whole "I don't need a pep talk" conversation with Gunn. He's trying to help, Angel, jeez. Lighten up. I liked Fred this episode though. She was sort of there for Nina and was all round clever and brave, which is just fun. *dreads watching A Hole In The World*

The gourmet thing was just sick. I felt bad for Nina. She was so degraded and treated like an animal and I just loathed the restaurant manager. Getting stripped down and soaked with a freezing hose was just mean. Then, then tied her to a table and presented her as dinner! I was glad that Angel let them take the science guy who set it up- it was a fitting punishment. Unleashed is a good episode but not amazing or anything. It introduces Nina, werewolf extraordinaire and is the last werewolf centred episode in the verse. Good but not unmissable in my opinion.
  • Nina the werewolf, whoopie dee do

7.2
    This may have been the worst episode of Season 5. We meet a young lady who has been bitten by a werewolf. The gang races to contain her before the next full moon but they have no idea that one of the creeps who work for them is a mole. They manage to contain Nina but the mole delivers her to a man who serves werewolves as a delicacy. In the end, Angel is able to save her and she knows now that her life can be somewhat normal except during the full moon. Nothing really happened to further the storyline, with the exception of a possible love interest (BLAH) for Angel. I could have taken or left this ep.
  • nice try werewolf

season 5 was a mess but this is a good episode. werewolfs are cool like oz and the writers new that and tried to make a werewolf and it was not as bad as i though,

nina is cool but there is something missing and i guess it was cordy because she would have said something funny and this episode just was a little boring but it was still good much better than season 5
  • No matter what, Angel will always make sure his mission is to help the helpless and never give up on them. All I can say is, Nina is one of the lucky ones.

When I re-watched Unleashed, I sort of came to the conclusion that the episode was about being a champion and no matter how hard you try to save someone, you should never give up on them.

I mean look at Nina, when she found out she had become a werewolf she was confused and the thought of becoming a monster seemed to make her want to throw up. She was unhappy and a bit negative about the whole thing but who wouldn't. She is lucky that it only happens once a month and that she didn't die, she has someone to look out for her and she has a cage to keep her from hurting people.

But then she has that small fight with her sister because she left her sisters daughter alone in a house at night, Nina can't exactly tell her that she is a werewolf and that she might have killed her niece.

When she gets captured by the restaurant people, Nina gives up. She had a fight with her sister, she is now a monster and she thinks that if she just dies, all these new problems would just fade away because she doesn't want to deal with them. If it wasn't for Angel, she would probably be dead or dinner.

Any ways, my point is even though Angel was too late to save her before she got bitten, he didn't give up on her and tried to help ease Nina through this major change in her life. Not everyone has someone to help them through something major like that.
  • Nina Needs a Neutering

4.8
    As part of the deal to get renewed for season five, The WB ordered more monster-of-the-week episodes of Angel, reminiscent of season one. Unleashed was one of a few of this type which plagued season five. Unlike some (Numero Cinco, Life of the Party), Unleashed is an enjoyable, if slightly pointless, hour with some fun developments.

Unleashed has Angel saving a young woman from a werewolf attack. The woman, Nina, escapes and later finds herself slowly morphing into a werewolf. Wolfram & Hart try to stop her from killing but she is abducted by a group of evil restauranteurs who plan to have Nina as the main course.

Before you scream "remake!", Unleashed isn't reminiscent of the Buffy werewolf episode Phases, in the way that in this episode, we actually see the human-werewolf transformation in graphic detail, with Nina getting a strange fascination with steaming meat and imagining her niece all sliced up after a werewolf attack.

I found that Nina was a slightly dull love interest for Angel. His relationships in the past have been, obviously, much more interesting and there's hardly any chemistry between vampire and wolf-girl. The evil restauranteurs in this episode were slightly silly and Enterprise actor John Billingsley basically played Dr Phlox without the make-up.

Unleashed is an average episode with some good scenes and decent visual effects, but ends up being slightly hollow and forgettable.
  • Angel saves the girl but doesn't save her at the same time. Instead she's left with a curse that they both must come to terms with. That and he kills a Werewolf with an ink pen.

Unleashed in not really one of my fav eps but there is much to like in this ep. Also, it's an episode of Angel which already makes it better than 99% of what's on the air today.

We open with the team having a meeting in the park. Someplace where they can't be bugged. We learn all their plates are full with lots to do since they took over Wolfram and Hart. There time is being spent with meetings and lots of other things to do and pretty much no time to Help the Helpless.

Looks like Wolfram & Hart really did know what they were doing when they decided on this course of action. Keep the gang too busy doing anything but saving the world.

The gang is still suspicious of what Wolfram & Hart did to Gunn's brain a fact that annoys Gunn. When Wesley implies that they made Gunn smarter it really shows that he never really thought of Gunn as being smart. He seems to believe that they made him smarter instead of believing that Gunn was already intelligent to begin with, he just wasn't using his full potential. No wonder Gunn had a complex about just being the muscle. He had good reason for it. This complex also comes into play later on in the season.

It's nice to see Numero Cinco wandering around in the background again. I love how Joss managed to sneak in a story arc right under The WB's nose. Very subtle and you might miss it but it's still very much there.

I really love the part where Spike is busy talking about a rough fight he had with a werewolf once and Fred says, "Angel killed one with an ink pen." The look on Spike's face is priceless.

Spike does seem a bit self-centered in this ep but there is a huge payoff in the next ep so it just makes his seeming self-centeredness all the better. I love the mislead with Spike talking about how he has a history with Wesley and how Fred sees right through him.

They did seem to take great pains to make him seem really selfish in this ep though. Always complaining about them helping Nina instead of him. It's even pretty misleading at the end.

You see him fading away which gets Fred really worried about him. He's very transparent during their entire conversation at the end until Fred promises she'll find a way to bring him back. Then he shows up in living color and tells her there's no need to get dramatic. Almost makes you think he was being a big faker except now we know better.

But Spike never likes to let on that he's afraid so he works hard to appear anything but afraid even if that means looking self-centered.

The ending of this ep is very special. Angel finally invites the gang up to his apartment to hang out. We see them starting to come to terms with their deal and really starting to try to enjoy the benefits that comes along with it. It seems while Angel was busy helping Nina he realized that he was cutting himself off from the gang and that if he wants to keep his monster at bay he can't continue to do this. He's already biting everyone's heads off constantly. What's next? Locking up a bunch of lawyers in a room with Darla and Dru? It's good to see his darkness doesn't last be cause that would really make the season drag. Been there done that. This would be why Joss is the man.

• Oh, he knows, Nina. He knows.

The biggest resonance I've ever caught between Angel and Nina is not their monsterishness, but rather, in fact, their more *mundane* super powers.

Angel has always been an artist. He tracks Cordy in "Parting Gifts" by recognizing a statue, he terrorized Buffy by drawing her sleep, he drew a thousand pictures of Darla, he apparently has heightened powers of persuasive visualization in "Supersymmetry" (which they very sensibly put back in the closet after that episode, but hell, Dru could make Giles see things and a lot of what Dracula did was a thrall so it's not entirely beyond the pale) and his drawing of the Axis of Pythia and of Cordy in "Ground State" put Fred's drawing of the -- well, to my untrained eye that was a not-a-stake -- completely to shame.

What I'm saying is that Joss has not handed this ability out to absolutely everyone, and in this episode, we are very subtly reminded about Angel's artistic bent in his very capable drawing of Nina Ash (a name to conjure with).

Nina, for everything else she is, is an art student. The longing in her voice when she's talking about the ceramics class she's missing, where she's supposed to be learning about raku, is not the tone you heard when I was in school about going to algebra class, for one example.

Artist, art student. Could it be love? Could it be romance?

Well, let's just get past the whole monster thing first (does Wes get to be the mummy?)

And he did get a look.

This is another introduction to Angel's world -- not an especially explicit introduction into his love life, but we establish through Fred that he did have unresolved feelings for Cordy who continues to weigh on his mind although we don't hear about her much. The introduction to Angel's heart was the third layer of introduction in this show, "Conviction" covering his work and "Just Rewards" covering his motivations.

We also learn about how the Senior Partners might be winning.

CYNTHIA! can't deal with an apocalypse, silent or otherwise, with all of the buzzers and whistles going off around them all the time. We hear at the beginning of the episode that the team has been dealing with their own departments, managing their own sets of boiling pots, and not working with each other.

This is, of course, ridiculous. Department heads get to set their own schedules. If they insist on carving out an hour -- or seven hours -- a day to work with one another, they can do it. They've all got staves. Lorne doesn't need to take every meeting. Fred doesn't need to sit there and stare at every bubbling beaker. Wes does not need to sit there watching Sirq all day and Gunn doesn't have to mope around being all defensive about stuff he hasn't in any way opened up about to the rest of the team. I mean it's a law firm fer Chrissakes! Gunn does not need to dot every damn' "T" out there.

As a strategy, the Senior Partners put themselves together a nice little recipe for distrust and disaster, but these people are wildly engaged in stirring the pot. And Angel's not helping. Instead of being a leader, and making sure that the communication keeps flowing, he's all broody about how special he's not because Spike is back (in some form) and he's irritating to him. Well, Atlas, how about a shrug? Get over Spike, stop worrying about whether you made the right decision ...

Oh, G-d, it doesn't happen often, but I wanted to slap Gunn across the head in this episode.

GUNN WATCH: Not evil, not as yet, but very broody, and defensive. Hey, you're right. All of you got something out of this. But pulling away from and lashing out at your friends' perfectly legitimate concerns is hardly building the trust, and -- given all the synapses they fired up about legal strategy and so forth, it's incredible that you can be that dense about your own team.

Also, when absolutely everyone in the building was working on the Nina case, and all of them were focusing on the same project, no one commented on how nice it was all to be working together.

Mostly because it wasn't. Because Angel was driving them all too hard, and not saying things like "Great suggestion Lorne," or "Excellent work, Fred" or "Do you need any help with that at all, Gunn?"

Lorne's right. He's pulling into himself and closing himself off from everyone else.

But meanwhile, everyone got to participate. Spike inadvertently saved the day by leading Fred to Dr. Royce. Wes by having a Cross pen. Lorne with the brilliant suggestion about the traffic light. The lead they got from Angel's drawing. Gunn knew how to track traffic video. And Fred fought like a champion against the paramilitary gourmands, and improv'd a nice cover story.

This was a good episode, all things considered, and developed a few storylines, including Spike's terror, which we'll get to explore a little more next week.

But for now, one of the nicest things was the transition from a huddled, fractious and snipish collective hiding out in a midnight picnic ground to a warm, convivial team gathering for drinks and Chinese in Angel's lavish suite.

The image of being let into his world, and their letting him more into theirs.

Makes you almost unhappy about the stuff that's coming.
  • Another normal episode, except we get introduced to a new character.

In this episode we meet Nina. From this point on I haven't seen any of these episodes, except the last. But from what I heard, Angel and Nina develop a relationship. Which I find interesting because she is a werewolf and he is a vampire. Not the weirdest couple in the Buffyverse considering a werewolf has dated a witch before too.

There was only one thing I didn't like about this episode. Not enough Spike. He's suppose to be a star on the show now but he doesn't really do anything in this episode that is...Spike-like. He just roams around and talks to Fred. I want ass kickin Angel and Spike buddy cop movie-like adventures.

The good things about this episode weren't a lot either. No real villian to defeat but we did get another character added to the show. And she is a werewolf on top of that so it makes her even better. Thats really all that was special about this episode.

I heard that Oz was suppose to come back in the 6th season to help Nina surpress and control her werewolf side but sadly the show was cancelled before then. All and all, average episode, average score, 7.0.
  • Love the episode but at the end Angel is in his Trans Am during the day, dropping off Nina. I thought he wasn\'t allowed to because that is why he didn\'t take Nina to her house originally.

Great episode, Love the episode but at the end Angel is in his Trans Am during the day, dropping off Nina. I thought he wasn\'t allowed to because that is why he didn\'t take Nina to her house originally. I wonder if the glass in his car is also like the glass in his Wolfram and Hart. Or could this be a minor oversight be the directors.