Angel

War Zone

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 09, 2000 on The WB

• Important episode, but definitely far from a favorite.

When I first started watching "Angel" on TNT, this was one of the first season one episodes I saw. I hated it. The second time I watched it was when I bought the season one DVD. I liked it a lot better than I did the first time around, but I wouldn't consider it a fantastic episode by any means.

This episode introduces the character of Gunn, the leader of a street gang of teenagers who fight vampires. Gunn will become a part of the cast, and becomes a very important character later on, but frankly, I don't like him here, nor do I like him in season two, and only a little in season three.

This episode had some pretty good moments. The early action scenes are very cool and entertaining, and the moments between Gunn and his sister are nice, but I was a little bored with the A story beginning with the time we really get to know the vampire gang and their leader. I hate the Slayerverse vampires so episodes revolving around vampires rather than demons and such are not that entertaining to me.

I did like the B story, with Angel, Cordelia, and Wesley being hired by a billionaire to recover pictures of him in a demon brothel. The scene where Angel goes to the brothel and is hit on by the demoness was pretty funny. There were also some nice Cordy moments, as always, and Wes continues to become a more likeable character.