Angel

Why We Fight

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 11, 2004 on The WB

• Why Should We Care?

4.9
    Why We Fight-Lawson, a mysterious man from Angel's past, arrives at Wolfram & Hart and takes the gang hostage. Through flashbacks to World War II, it is revealed that Angel worked with the U.S. Navy to recover a captured German submarine with American sailors on board. The ship also has a secret cargo, a dangerous trio of vampires, including Spike, who were kidnapped by the Germans and forced to help the Nazis. When the sub comes under attack, Angel saves Lawson's life by turning him into a vampire. Now, sixty years later, Lawson has arrived at Wolfram & Hart seeking revenge.

Now, when it comes to Angel's past, it's always interesting as 200+ years of backstory lies literally endless opportunity for the writers. But somewhere along the line, "Why We Fight" becomes a BIG blur! Well, first off, while the 1940's World War 2 underwater submarine adventure sounds good on paper, but comes off as more like a morbid mess from Angel's past that feels out of place and is resolved in the blink of an eye. Eyal Podell who plays Lawson does a good job but his character comes off as a whinny old vampire who should have staked himself years ago. Kinda like that whinny vampire from Season 3's "Heartthrob" who removed his heart! The flashbacks are just dull and the story just drags. Lawson's crew are useless characters and as for Lawson himself, who you don't feel bad for him or understand his situation like the viewer should have. You also don't understand as a viewer why Angel would sire him. Yes, to save them all, but why let him go and not just dust him afterwards. Doesn't seem like the post-Angelus Angel that we know, but hey, why bother at this point when we've seen so much from Angel's past. The only good points are Spike sporting his Nazi wear and his jet black hair on the submarine. His vampire buddies were funny, especially the Nosferatu-esqe vampire. All and All, "Why We Fight" is a backstory bomb with nothing interesting and you don't feel connected to the story at all. You're just waiting for it to be over as you dose off into space.