Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Argentina

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 10, 2007 on Travel Channel

• Seing home through Tony´s eyes.

7.9
    Not being able to completely avoid the clichés of tango and gauchos, Anthony Bourdain´s stay in Argentina was a pretty good characterization of the country.
    Being argentinian and residing in Buenos Aires (porteña would be the local term for it) , I have to say that I would have liked him to tour a little more around the city. But I guess that I´m partially influenced by the tendency to over idolize the city of Buenos Aires that us porteños have.
    The quest for the right empanada, the walks on the glaciers with a couple of gauchos and Tony´s introduction to the mate were interesting portraits of the country. There was still many other cities to see, north and south. A road trip to Mar del Plata, where Tony could take a picture with the seawolfs that guard the coast would have been great. But I digress.
    Every time this particular episode finishes I can´t help the feeling that Argentina may not be one of Tony´s favourite places. Maybe it will take a second trip to change his mind. Argentina is more of an adquired taste.