Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on Travel ChannelIn Season

Japan:Hokkaido

What did you Think?

danharr

[1]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 45

Before the disaster Japan is always great can't wait to see what Tony came up with and what Japan can be again once the clean up is done.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 45

It was great loved the laid back and open space feel of Hokkaido and the food yes I've always wanted ramen with more than traditional Japanese ingredients. Nice touch with Ainu peoples I would like to hear more about them and it's about time I got some fish sperm it's time to take it to the next level.

haldrey

[3]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 22
    Beautiful place, a feast for the eyes. I really envied Tony in this episode. Amazing food, I gained a few pounds just watching, and the Ainu segment was extremly interesting. To the Japanese I extend my sympathy for the disaster they suffered.

CRaivios

[4]May 1, 2011
    • level: 21
    Tony loves Japan. He loved the handmade soba noodles. The fresh seafood was a huge treat for him. It would not have been complete for me unless our host bathed in the hot springs. I read about them in Conde Nast in July 2009 and my mind went straight to the article when I saw this episode.

I have heard how Hokkaido is so different from the rest of Japan. The Ainu people do not look like other Japanese - they are almost Caucasian.

Still, there was a edge of sadness. While no one shown is this episode was injured by the earthquake, tsunami or nuclear disaster, it is hard to think about how these islanders are affected by the devastation around them. I am sure that each one knew someone that lost everything or was killed. Do those businesses still survive? It is hard to tell.