Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Los Angeles

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Feb 05, 2007 on Travel Channel

• This episode was very personal and special for me!

I spent the first 20 years of my life in the actual city of Los Angeles and the second 20 years in Hawthorne.

This episode brought back so many fond memories for me, while also reminding me why my husband, son and I packed up and left California 14 years ago! So much has changed, and yet so much has stayed the same.

I loved how Tony chose his car from "Rent A Wreck", I remember them well. The Mariachi Band (their singer has a wonderful voice) was a fantastic touch, as I not only went to high school in East LA, but was baptized at the Mission Church on Olvera Street. My baptismal certificate is actually in Spanish, and despite my mixed heritage I can't read it!

It was great to see him enjoying the authentic Mexican food I grew up on, and can't seem to get anymore. When I was very young, every Sunday morning we would visit my aunts who lived withing walking distance of the Coliseum and would stop off on the way home at a Mexican restaurant run out of a private home to buy fresh home made tortillas. A huge pot of menudo was always bubbling away, for those Sunday morning hang-overs, but could never compete with my mom's!

Tony's "training" and riding along with the Hawthorne PD's S.W.A.T. division was a real eye opener. He really "took one for the team" allowing them to demonstrate a taser on him! And seeing the gangs that now infest where I lived for so long saddened me but makes me realize that we made the right decision to leave when we did.

When this episode comes around again it's a don't miss, as far as I'm concerned!
  • to live and die in la...

So Tony does in LA which I wish that he would have done more of in Las Vegas…go to the locals, skip the big stuff that the city is “famous” for. My favorite scene was Tony getting tasered. As much as we all know it hurts, there is still some part that really wonders what it feels like. Plus how cool, getting to roll with LA SWAT. I also really liked the roller derby girls. It’s a fun sport to watch, super intense and like many others I laughed at Tony falling on his butt. Having read Tony’s books, it was interesting to see Sammy. Not at all what I would have pictured.
  • As the title would suggest, this episode deals with Tony searching Las Angeles for great food and good people.

Today we find Tony traveling around L.A. to find great cuisine. What he finds are an old friend, a hungry police officer, a roller derby, and even "the noodle whore". This was, as are all the rest, another great epsiode. You dont even have to appreciate food to watch this show. Tony is always entertaining as the host and is able to communicate well with the audience. I love the fact that after watching a show based around interesting and new cuisine I can see the world in a new way and understand more about the cultures around us and even ourselves. Watch this show and see what I meen.
TRAVEL