Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

New Jersey

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Aug 08, 2005 on Travel Channel

• Didn't do Bergen County justice!

As a fellow Leonian and foodie who moved to NYC as quickly as I could, I have always felt an affinity with Bourdain and was extremely excited to hear he was heading to our hometown. I also happen to be Korean and was dying to see what Asian goodies he would unveil - Tony, I'm sorry to say that for once I was disappointed in your choices (it was almost as bad as the Romania episode). Here are my 3 major issues with your coverage of the "asian invasion". Firstly, it boggles my mind why anyone would order sushi at Baumgarts. The restaurant is known for some of the best chinese food in the country (sizzling duck crepe etc.) and the fact that the opportunity to show their amazing food was lost really irked me. Secondly, the Korean restaurant you went to is really only know for their soondubu (soft tofu) dishes and I didn't really get why you ordered kalbi there. Korean BBQ is obviously our most famous food and you would've done much better to have gone to So Moon Nan Jip in Pal Park where they put smoldering wood chips in the center of your table (AMAZING) and provide you with lettuce, sesame leaves, and salad so you can wrap your meat appropriately. Lastly, anyone in Bergen knows that Mitsuwa is certainly not Yoahan and has really slipped over the last few years. If you wanted to highlight the million-and-one goodies oriental supermarkets contain, your first stop should have been Han Ah Reum - if Mitsuwa seemed emptyto you, it's because all the real Asians were over there. The one chance NJ had to redeem itself from it's "armpit of America" image definitely fell short in my eyes. I wouldn't care except that I expected more from a hometown boy... I'm obviously still going to watch your show religiously though. Haha.