Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Pacific NW

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 15, 2007 on Travel Channel

• A Mouth-Watering Preview of the Pacific Northwest

Leave it to Tony to turn the hippy-dippy nature of the pacific northwest into something that's apathetically cool. Kurt Cobain would be proud. That aside, he does a great job uncovering the underbelly of the pacific northwest as well as hitting on major points. However I'm disappointed that the focus of the show was on the western sides of the states. Apparently the eastern sides just don't have good enough food - or do they? By sticking to Portland and Seattle, Tony doesn't quite get real pacific northwest food. Yes, people are a little food-crazy in Seattle, as proven by the number of well known resturaunts and other eateries located there. But I really think he could have included some of the eastern side of the states, because hey, that's part of the pacific northwest too. Eastern Washington alone has great wine (comparable to California and France), equally good food, and I'm pretty sure if he visted any of the reservations he could have found some great indigenous cuisine.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great episode. However what I think that Tony and the rest of his team should realize is that the Pacific Nortwest includes all of Oregon, all of Washington, Idaho and western Montana. A pretty big region and frankly I don't think that Portland and Seattle are good examples of the region as a whole. Seattle and the eastern side of the state (where I was born and raised, and live to this day) are vastly different - in both climate and cuisine!