Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Romania

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Feb 25, 2008 on Travel Channel

7.3
  • What a disappointment, lack of country knowledge, poorly researched food content, painful stupid Vampire party and disrespect for a country!!!

First, I must ask...is the show's budget so small that you couldn't identify one chef in Romania that you took a Russian to review Romanian food? After the cold war ended, didn't anyone bother to point out what an insult to the country that would be? Between the drunk Russian friend and the endless vampire segment (for a country that is 80% Christian), Tony and the researchers really looked like dumb Americans. Tony missed the boat on the food. I went to Romania last year and had a wonderful time and had terrific fresh simple food. While the country is very underdeveloped, the food was all about simple rural choices. He could have focused more on polenta combinations, the variety of soups and fruit-based jams, etc... Also, while he was busy drinking moonshine, there is a huge burgeoning Romanian wine industry (started at the time of the Romans and actually routinely visited by the rich Russians) that he completely missed. And, my favorite find....he missed the Turkey-flavored potato chips...best snack I've had in years!!

He should apologize to the country and retape the show to challenge himself to really find the good food....without his friend.