Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

San Francisco

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Aug 10, 2009 on Travel Channel

• The City By the Bay

Let me start by saying I am a Bay Area native. I was born in Oakland and grew up across the bay from San Francisco. We are a bunch of foodies who love a good meal. I had to sigh when Tony drove around town, pretending to be Steve McQueen in Bullitt. So much of an old stereotype.

I am glad that Tony missed the restaurants run by the well known chefs and the tourists traps. I checked to see if any of my favorite places were in the show and was delighted to see that none of them were. Yes, it is easier to get a table if no one knows about them. I can say for sure that Tadich Grill is a place where real people eat, not just the wealthy. But Hangtown Fry? Cioppino was invented in SF. Hangtown is Placerville and several hours drive to the East.

I am happy that our host fit in a visit to the Mission District for some Mexican food. It would be a shame for anyone to miss Chinatown, with one of the largest Chinese populations outside of China. I never eat at a Chinese restaurant when I travel because I can get the best food in SF. Dungeness is the local crab and is delicious. The Farmer's Market by the Ferry Building is the real deal. Instead of selling to middle men, farmers sell straight to the people. The food is fresh and of great quality.

I am Japanese and am chagrined that Tony likes sushi so much. Yes, there are a lot of good sushi chefs that are not Japanese. They just don't know how to fix the stuff we usually eat at home.

This show may be the anti Alice Waters, but everyone knows that Chez Panisse is across the bay in Berkeley. That Bourdain, he is such an out of towner.
Rio