Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Sweden

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Apr 24, 2006 on Travel Channel

7.9
  • The episode ran like a terrible guidebook.It certainly didn't show what kind of food is available, not traditionally nor contemporary.

There's a growing nose-to-tail and artisinal movement. None were featured, just a bunch of pre-conceptions. I wish more effort had been made to show a growing artisinal movement concentrating on traditional meats and sausages. Swedish food is so much more than meat balls and restaurants such as Lux. I was certainly not the producer of the episode, perhaps this is what people want to see. To me, it was nothing more than a boring bunch of stuff you already know, or have pre-conceived notions of. There's street food, alot of ethnic foods available a short subway ride from downtown Stockholm. Outside of Stockholm you can find more and more nose-to-tail places. I know people that are making farmer's cheese, traditional sausages, hams, dishes made out of offal. There's blood pudding, pölsa, fish, potkäs, messmör, a pungent gorgonzola on a ginger snap cookie and so much more. Either it was not researched enough or it was a concious decision. Either is bad. In a later episode, season 6, the producer and Tony Bourdain discusses that they seem to have two different fan bases. One that watch for the food, another for the travel. This was a poor mix of both. I should, in all due transparency, add that I'm partial. I'm a food nerd involved in food movements to promote good food and cooking although I'm not a professional, just a happy amateur.