Aquaman

CBS (ended 1968)

Aquaman Fan Reviews (6)

7.2
  • Aquaman, King of the Seven Seas, along with his faithful companion Aqualad, Tusky the walrus and their seahorses Storm and Imp, fights a never ending battle against the evil denizens of the deep.

Growing up, it wasn't always easy to find a hero, or role model I could relate to. Sure there was Superman, Batman, Spiderman and plenty more. The problem was they all had one thing in common that I didn't...dark hair. As a kid my hair was a very light blond, almost white. That left me with a total of three superheroes I could relate to Aquaman, Green Arrow, and Captain America. Once I had my first pair of Under-roos my decision was made, Aquaman was my favorite!

I actually grew up in the late 70's and early 80's so if not for reruns, and later video tape, I may never have seen my hero's adventures. Filmation's 36 episode animated series ran on Saturday mornings in 1966 and was originally partnered up with Superman, and later repackaged with Superman and Batman. One of the highlights, for me anyway, is the narration and voice acting by the late Ted Knight.

The show features several trends of the silver age comics, Aqualad the teen sidekick (and member of the original Teen Titans) the Aquacave, the Aquacomputer, and includes villans from the comic book like Black Manta and the Fisherman. The animation is the classic Filmation style, which admittedly often uses several differnet short cuts like re-using the same footage over and over again, or placing staionary figures over scrolling backgrounds to suggest movement. The stories are often short and to the point, the type children can easily comprehend...bad guy attacks innocent people, Aquaman answers the call for help, summons his underwater allies, and good triumphs over evil!

All in all, a nice series. Colorful animation, simple stories, and a great feeling of nostalgia.