An Archer Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on FXX
Well, lets get off my chest what I thought after seeing this episode: it was not the best of this season. Having said that, it still was a enjoyable. We got some history lessons, Cyril showed some initiative and we see a lot of girl power, especially in a few catfights. I’ve had worse evenings.

Last week we left our heroes in the middle of a shooting of shells next to the palace by the rebels and the ususal misconception by Cherlene who thinks it’s all for her and Cherlenemania had started! It looks spectacular (from the outside that is)

Inside we find Lana trying to strangle Cherlene for being herself and Malory trying to stop Lana because Cherlene’s pipes just sold a million records. Malory still sees the potential in her for making money.

After Il Comandante comes in telling them the shelling has stopped but there’s no time for a toast (both meanings), they suddenly mis Archer. He comes out of the butler room and while tugging in his shirt tells them he was hiding for the shells. Of course we believe him, he is a coward after all.

Il Comandante joins the group and tells Calderón he still needs more man and would love to get the men that are unloading Cherlene’s cd’s……..

Unsurprising to us (see last weeks review where we saw Archer having sex with this ravishing redhead before), we see Juliana come out of the butler’s room also, still adjusting her valuables.

She overheard Calderón bought those cd’s and as she wishes he had spent the $ 10 million on her, he now has a real problem, two mad women and both for the same reason: buying the cd’s. Isn’t it a lovely sight?

When Juliana wants to get even with Calderón and tell him she just had sex with Archer, we hear a gunshot and see Cyril facedown on the floor and Archer holding a just fired gun. No coming clean for Juliana.

Having not been able to use one important weapon (telling the truth), Juliana takes up the second best a woman can do in her own home: throw the plates at Calderón. Look at those eyes.

Without any blink from Archer we see Cyril rising from the dead. Archer had expected so because Cyril nowadays always wears a kevlar vest as Archer always shoots him on their trips to Latin America.

Our former spies come drugdealers come weapons dealers have a discussion on leaving, how to get their money from a broke dictator and their relationship with the freshly-banged first lady. Malory gives her final opinion on that one by banging the gun into Archers privates. That’s the fourth time they got banged that day already.

After everyone agrees they should flee San marcos, Malory tells Ray to get Cherlene as they can’t leave without her and Cyril to find a vehicle. On the question of Krieger everyone agrees: “Who cares about Krieger”. We then see him following this discussion on the screen.

Being very sad about what he heard, he joins up with the clones who then do something that will hunt me in my dreams for a long time: ‘Clone bone’.

Krieger and the clones share some time discussing their youth and if there’s any chance Krieger shared a part of theirs. In the end he’s just happy to be home (casa Clieger) when he finds out they’re working on some some kind of unholy, adolescent human-amphibian hybrid creature.

In the meantime Cherlene is packing up and gets a history lesson from Calderón on American presidents in defending his case why he is a good dictator. She also finds out he wanted to give her cd’s to the poor people, but as they have no cd-players, possibly to use as plates.

In an attempt to get at least a bit of money for their weapons, Lana cuts the white painting out of it’s frame leaving a relieved Archer who thought she was coming at him with the knife to cut off something else. He thought they’d take the whole painting.

Cyril is still looking for a vehicle and ultimately lands in the garage of Calderón where he is flabbergasted by the amount of cars that are waiting for him. He does not how what to choose.

Everyone is coming to the central place in the palace: the stairs behind the palaces front doors. We find Malory, Archer, Ray and Lana next to the stairs, Pam coming first from the right and throwing all of her suitcases down the stairs, Cherlene and Calderón coming from the left and last but not least, Juliana from the left after Pam has come down (but still aout of the picture).

She’s pissed of at Calderón who divorces her while giving another history lesson on an American president (he can as he is also the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court) and tells him that the last man inside of her was Archer. Calderón, now being pissed of at Archer, shoots him but Pam jumps in front.

Cherlene and Juliana now really are annoyed with each other and try to press each other’s boobs out of the way with their own boobs to be able to reach each others throat. Pam seems to have survived thanks to Cyrils kevlar vest (that wasn’t safe anymore) and Archer, just like us, enjoys the fight.

As everyone is so occupied with the catfight, Calderón takes his chance and disarms everyone, divorces Juliana and marries Cherlene in one go. He is quite a self-willed whole-hogger isn’t he? Meanwhile, in casa Clieger, The Boys from San Marco are working on what seems to be a dangerous contraption.

Il Comandante joins the group near the stairs and tells Calderón the rebels have smashed the counterattack and headed for the palace. Just seconds later a tank bursts through the doors and surprisingly Cyril comes out.

The soldiers from Il Comandante surrender and when Archer wants to take command, Cyril has a simple answer for him.

We end with Archer chasing playfully after Pam for making fun of him (see the last lines of the night).

Stuff:

No phrasing regrettably..............

I have no idea why Cherlene referred to Dave Frishberg. He’s a musician but any further references are completely unknown to me.

As we’re still in San Marcos, it will be a three episode arc. The titles had us fooled.

Now Cyril has the tank in his hands, what will that mean for him in the next episode. Will he get to use his big gun?

It was all girlpower. I’m completely in favour of that!

Being European, it was good to hear a few interesting things on US history. I assume they were all true….

Any ideas how Krieger and the clones are related?

Will that ultimate weapon be used in the next episode?

Will we see more of the unholy, adolescent human-amphibian hybrid creature. I could imagine he would escape, fight the clones, eat them and then die because he’s out of the water.

If only I could have one of those cars. One would do. I loved the numberplates.

Shouldn’t every beautiful redhead have a gun concealed beneath her very fitting dress? I could hardly imagine it couldn’t have been seen. She should hide it somewhere else on her body.

Lines of the night:

Malory: Calm down, Colonel Panic.

Pam: And not the good kind you get drunk with at Myrtle Beach and cruise the strip in the bed of their monster truck with a big rebel flag on it, flinging empty longnecks at people.
Lana: Yeah, those aren't actually the good kind, either.

Pam: Oh. Well now I feel like an asshole.
Malory: When do you not?
Pam: Almost always. I really like me.
Malory: Baffling.

Malory: And it's not the only thing. Why can't you keep it in your pants?

Archer: It's not funny, I actually use mine.

Cherlene: Jorge Washington-- which, apparently, I've been mispronouncing wrong this whole time

Cherlene: Of course you don't, because you don't live in a free country, where the world's largest manufacturers of sugary cereals are allowed to sponsor interstitial animated programming unapologetically targeted at children!
Calderón: No. I-I live in a very poor country.
Cherlene: Ugh!
Calderón: No, no. I... Look, I know, but go outside the palace walls, and trust me,

Lana: But worthless... if you damage it. But even though it's very delicate, it can withstand a surprising amount of shit.
Archer: Wait. Is this an extremely ill-phrased analogy about my penis?
Lana: Yes, Archer, it is, because everything, everywhere, every when, is about the paragonof adequacy that is your dick.
Archer: "Adequacy" as in "mind-blowingness"?

(Calderón grunting) I'm gonna go Jerry Lee on your ass!

Archer: How dirty do you think my junk is?
Malory: As dirty as if it were made of dirt and then got dropped in some different dirt and then Pig-Pen came along and kicked it around with his dirty shoes.
Archer: Fair enough.

Archer: Yeah, Cyril, you are sorry because you still look like an idiot. You look like, uh… (laughing): Oh, my God. Hang on. Wait, wait, wait. I-I actually have something for this! (inhales deeply) Mi...
Pam: Mike Ducockless! (all laugh but Archer)

You’ll probably have your own favourites, put them in the comments.
45 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 10, 2014
Just watched it and... loved it! Even Cyril Figures was fun and I really had to lol at the end when Pam stole Archers joke and his face afterwards.
I think this was one of the best this season, but yeah, tastes...
Flag
Apr 10, 2014
Cyril was great, I fully agree with you.

And to be honest, after a bit of time the episode grew on me and I now love it much better then I did directly after watching it (twice).
Flag
Apr 10, 2014

phrasing
Flag
Apr 10, 2014
That was last weeks episode (recapped/reviewed here) :-).

Great gif.
Flag
Apr 10, 2014
oops, it was Cherlene who did the phrasing:

gifs including the return of phrasing (well at least by Cherlene)
Flag
Apr 10, 2014
a fun episode!
I thought Pam did phrasing this episode….hmm, maybe not but I could of sworn she did

I can't wait for the tiger;-)
Flag
Apr 10, 2014
It was a good episode. This season has taken a while to get going, but I;m enjoying it now.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Bit of an uneven episode - but still good.

The lack of "phrasing" was a bit of a bummer.
BUT NEXT WEEK WE MEET THE TIGER!!
And hopefully the return of "He thinks he's people"
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Still catching up with the running gags (and due to other activities still in season 1 of the series caching up), but I've heard of the tiger already this season but not of 'He thinks he's people' although I can imagine Archer using it.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Being European, it was good to hear a few interesting things on US history. I assume they were all true….

The bit about the term limits not being written until 1951 was true and probably surprised some. Even though no US president has ever served more than 2 terms, and the founding fathers all suggested that the President should not serve more than two... because otherwise you risk a guy becoming a president for life...

But it wasn't actually written into the constitution until 1951.

Meanwhile many US citizens probably believe it's been officially written that way since George Washington.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
What he said was probably correct about G. Washungton could have been President for life, if he had wanted to. Christ, I sound like a dialogue writer for Archer. The U.S. Constitution, which created the country we now know as the U.S.A., which also created the office of President and the Executive Branch, wasn't enacted until 1789, 10 years after the American Revolution ended. Originally it was just a weak confederacy that couldn't even raise enough taxes to pay off war debt, including un-paid soldiers from that very revolution. They were so mad that they were going to overthrow the original congress and wanted to make their beloved former commander, General George Washington King! He was such a beloved leader that when he refused the offer they called a Constitutional Convention to write that document and made Washington President over the convention writing the constitution. It was almost custom written for Washington. He was subsequently elected, unanimously by electoral votes, twice. He chose not to run for a 3rd term, which he certainly would have gotten. Since him, for one reason or another, no President till FDR ever did serve more than 2 four year terms.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Excuse me! Franklin D. Reesevelt had just been elected and sworn in for his 4th term when he suddenly died of a stroke, making Harry S. Truman succeed him for the rest of his term. FDR was so powerful after over 12 years in office that people feared what a future, popular, young president, who wanted to keep running for decades, could do. FDR had already appointed almost the whole Supreme Court, who serve for life but were usually old men who didn't ive that long back then. That's why the 22nd amendment was passed by Congress in 1947, 2 years after FDR's death and ratified by the states (75% required to enact) in 1951. So it couldn't happen again.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Sorry yes I forgot about him. Likewise others have tried to run for more than 2 terms as well.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Thanks. To be honest, it was also the most surprising one to me too.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
I loved Cyril mocking Malory to himself, as he groped about in the garage looking for the perfect getaway vehicle. And his whole self-dialogue in the garage was hilarious. "Jesus H Chrysler. Well, one thing's for certain. If I had to do it over, I'd be a dictator."
The animation details on that Soviet T-72 tank he ended up stealing were absolutely perfect too, as was the helmet with the masking tape on the front and his name written on it. Exactly like the picture of George Dukakis, Mass. Governor and failed Democrat presidential candidate, trying to look tough in a photo op by sitting in a tank coupola but ending up looking like a dorky wimp, and losing badly to Bush Sr.. Course he was in an American T-60 tank (Mass. National Guard). Hence Pam's line :"George Du-Cockless"

Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Great catch, it explains the joke. Even I now remember seeing it on our national (European) tv.

Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Thanks. I'm nearly 48 years old and a big fan of both historical trivia and insane humor, like Archer, so I often think I'm getting a lot bigger % of the jokes than a lot of folks do. Archer, and other things I love, like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Robot Chicken, have such densly packed and diverse humor that you only need to get about half the jokes for them to be hilarious.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
I thought this was damned near the funniest Archer ever! 10/10 on my Archer Dialogue-ometer. Did anybody else catch the joke in :

Kreiger Clones: "Just in time for our moment of triumph."
Kreiger Original Recipe: "Well if there's one thing I love it's triumph/Triumph."

Remember, Kreiger is a huge RUSH fan. RUSH, the super popular and long lived Canadian power rock trio. There was another, less poular but still very talented, Canadian power trio from the 1980s named Triumph (who, like RUSH, also had a lead singer with an incredibly high voice), whom Kreiger would probably love too. Their 1 big hit was "Lay it on the Line". That's exactly what I think Kreiger was talking about. I laughed my ass off at that. Hope it was an intentional joke, for old guys like me.
Flag
Apr 23, 2014
Kelly perhaps you can tell me the what you believe the significance to Dr. Krieger being the product of Nazi cloning of Edmund Burke, the 18th century father of Conservatism? He quoted "All that is necessary for evil to "triumph" is for good men to do nothing" which is a quote associated with Edmund Burke. The Edmund Burke society was founded by Canadian Neo-Nazi Paul Fromm. Krieger, like you said quotes "one thing i love is Triumph"? Do you believe that Is Krieger innately attracted to Canadian Rock bands like Triumph with song titles like "Allied forces", "air raid", "fight the good fight" Heh Heh Help me with this.
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
It could also be a reference to "Triumph of the WIll," or at least that's what first came to mind for me.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Being European and trying to bring to the table what I can, there must be many jokes I probably do not get. I have never heard of the band so I never would have gotten this one. Nice catch.
Flag
Apr 23, 2014
Well, I think your understanding the humor pretty good for not being from america. I wanted to comment on something you wrote about the sidebar conversation that took place between the two american pilots because I love those moments throughout the series. For example, the now dead head of the KGB(Malory's Possible baby daddy) has a secretary who's hilarious. I don't know why its sooo funny to me. I guess I just often wonder what thoughts go through the secondary characters for example: assassins, soldiers, border patrol agents etc. and Im happy that the writers fill in those blanks for me.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Don't feel bad, I didn't get it either. It was a very inside joke.
Flag
Apr 08, 2014
Not a bad episode. I found the trio of slappings to be what brought the biggest smiles to my face.
Flag
Apr 08, 2014
You're absolutely right, they were great and I tried to capture them as good as I could. But I want to keep my review to about 20 pictures so I didn't include them as I would need to include them all. But now, in the comments, maybe I should.

Flag
Apr 08, 2014
Perfect candidates for animated .gifs. :-D

Flag
Apr 09, 2014
Absolutely, what keeps you from doing it :-). For me the 4 hours I work on this recap are enough :-).
Flag
Follow this Show
Members