An Archer Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on FXX
LANA!
LANAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT?
Archers back!

The opening musical sequence, with Archer basically waltzing through the office with a bunch of roses, I have to admit, was a bit off putting for me - I heard they were going in a different direction this season, but a musical?

Thankfully a heavily armed tactical unit brought the music to an end with some flash bangs and gunfire.

It turned out that ISIS had never actually been working for the U.S. government and the FBI were here to shut them down.

The group are taken into custody and quickly turn on Malory and Sterling - we also get some recaps of some of ISIS' memorable adventures.

A hostage situation ensues, but it turns out Malory has cut a deal - they all get immunity and in exchange ISIS is shut down.

The final few minutes are spent in Malory's office, where over drinks, the crew discuss there possible futures - Cyril might go back to being a lawyer, Cheryl might become a Country singer - and then Malory reveals The White Elephant, A TON OF COCAINE, and the episode finishes with a montage of scenes from the upcoming episodes.
Archer gets the last words though, when he whispers "Archer:..Vice"

Stuff:

*The final few minutes felt a bit weak, but as they are seemingly resetting the premise, I understand why they did it.

*I'm not a bit musical fan, but some of the reactions during that opening scene were pretty funny.

*How many of you knew who Beakers boss was?

*Special Agent In Charge Holly was voiced by Gary Cole

*How do you think Archer is going to get a pet tiger?

*Lana turned down Archers proposal. Do you think this was a good thing?

*Lucky Yates - Krieger - has been added to the credits (Overdue imo)

I can't think of any show as popular as Archer that has ever said "Screw it, let just change EVERYTHING in the new season", scrap the background story of the previous 4 seasons and go in a new direction - but its a solid start.

Because the characters and writing are so good, I don't really see a problem with them being in the drug business and no longer being spies. In fact, I like the options this gives them.

Lines of the night -

Malory -"I can save you from life in prison! Sorry Ramona, I know to you it's just one big sexy briar patch."

Krieger - "Is it murder if they were my own clones? I'm seriously asking."

Lana - "Screw you, Mr 'My mothers a lying bitch and I'm too stupid to realize my life is a pathetic Joke'!"
Archer - "Oh, nice to meet you Mrs 'Hello my kids from a sperm donor since I can't keep a man because, in addition to my gillion neuroses, I HAVE A WEIRD LOOKING VAGINA!'

Krieger - "I'll be your doctor."
Lana - "Well, if I want Hitler's DNA spliced into him, I'll give you a call."
Krieger - "Yeah, I'm around."

Lana - "What, we form a cartel?"
Malory - "Well, how hard can it be ... "
Lana - "Don't."
Malory - "... if Mexicans can do it."
67 Comments
Comments (66)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
*How many of you knew who Beakers boss was?

I knew the first name: Bunsen.

However I didn't know the rest of it.
Flag
*How do you think Archer is going to get a pet tiger?

I'd love there to be a reference to the tiger the other season that got shot. Either Archer things it's related or something, or he just talks about it.
Flag
So... are we going to get continuous updates in this community page for the rest of the season?

We're already a couple of episodes into what's typically a short season.
Flag
Working on it now. Had some real life issues to deal with
Flag
Are you sure these were previews of the season?
I understood it as some kind of "alternative reality" in the twisted mind of Archer. As such it was brilliant, as a preview of the upcoming season it would be rather weak, also why waste that much time on something about to be watched anyway?
Flag
A couple of episodes in, and it's looking like these were in fact legit previews of the season.

I too was wondering if they were legit or just all in Archer's imagination
Flag
Fuckin A!
Archer is finally back and it was awesome!
One minor thing though, as cool as it was seeing glimpses of the season through Archer's brilliant mind/eyes, envisioning what life in a cartel would be like, it gave away waaay too much for me and I wish I hadn't seen it.
Other than that this is gonna be crazy good! (not so sure about the Cheryl/Charlene country star plot though, but we'll see!)
Flag
I believe the song and dance routine at the beginning was to show us how dilusional Archer really is, lol
Flag
At least Brett died doing what he loved...
Flag
I managed to get almost every person I know into Archer last year and then I had to suffer through every single one of them bitching about how it wouldn't be back until January - well, it has finally returned and it was awesome. It's seriously one of the funniest shows on TV and it has truly been missed!

Also RIP Brett, who died doing what he did best. God bless.

Flag
I love the muppets so of course I knew it was Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. I'm really looking forward to where they go in the new season. I also disagree with your views on the opening montage. I actually thought it might have been some kind of coma related dream sequence given how often Sterling gets shot or somehow incapacitated. I'm glad they have found a new ridiculous premise to keep the show fresh and vibrant. It's one of the best things on tv and I never want it to end.
Flag
I don't think this is a reset of the entire show, just shutting down the spy storyline for a season to do what look like parodies of various 80's shows and movies with a Miami Vice overlay. I also think the show had rambled a bit as they pointed out in the ads leading up to this season opener and this looks to have a more cohesive story. I think this looks like it could be the best season yet.
Flag
Vice City is what came to mind for me when they did the montage. I loved the Miami Vice idea though, you could be closer with that one.
Flag
"this looks to have a more cohesive story" = agreed
Flag
Welcome back Archer. Good to see you again. And Sheryl, Pam, Lana, and all the gang.

I'm not sure, but I think Sheryl is my favorite character. Her special brand of lunacy is brilliant.

I thought the opening with Archer and the flowers was brilliant.
But I did not see that twist coming.

That ISIS was operating without government sanction doesn't make sense. I guess that is the advantage of writing a cartoon. ;-)

...Holy shit! What the hell just happened?!?

Was that a preview of what's to come, or did they just blow through a season's worth of storyline in three and a half minutes?

If it's a reboot I'm all for it. The whole Barry cyborg thing was getting old.

Who doesn't know Dr. Bunsen?

Archer is probably going to 'rescue' the tiger.
Flag
That was a preview of things to come
Flag
Oh, I almost forgot.
Thanks for doing this Grumpy.
Flag
No prob
Flag
Archer with a tiger...Can't wait! Such a great show..."It's not that weird looking"
Flag
I didn't know the name of Beakers boss anymore.
Somehow I think this reboot is exactly what Archer needed - and the vice direction is very welcome and present bazillions of new funny possibilities.
How great and funny is this show?

I'm seriously asking.

Beaker... lol

Flag
"I'm seriously asking." = its on a par with The Following....so, comedy gold!
Flag
Great episode, although it did feel like a re-pilot, which I wasn't expecting, but I'm looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Don't hold me to this, but I suspect the show disbanded ISIS because the al-Qaida group currently terrorising Iraq is called ISIS. Not a good coincidence!
Flag
Who would've known, al qaeda are big Archer fans!
Flag
I bet Krieger is they favourite character.
They can't be all bad... can they?
Fuck it! Yeah they are - it's just a coincidence!
Flag
"SERIOUSLY? I asked you about this like, FIFTY TIMES!"
Flag
I always miss one. Good catch
Flag
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew was Beaker's boss thank you very much. Sorry Brett. Best line was Archer's - "He died doing what he loved most....getting shot." (Getting shot.) This may be the most awesome table reset in the history of television. 50-60 mil. in uncut cocaine - hell yeah! Do you think 'Chuck' would have ever had the balls to go there? 'Archer' remains my favorite laughs of the week. This could be fun. Pam Poovey is still awesome yet its the big liar Mallory Archer that rules per usual. Only thing missing was Ron Cadillac. 'Archer' Vice - I'm so in.

Flag
I can't think of another show that could pull off a reset on this scale.
Flag
It was a flat out genius move by Adam Reed to give his story real room. The best part was all of them telling the adventures of ISIS to the Feds while embellishing (or trying to embellish) their own involvement in the tales to get immunity.

My favorite though was Gary Cole voicing the Fed in charge of the operation. 'Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law' was one of my favs..
Flag
I thought the end was just Archer imagining what they could do, not what they would do?

That being said, if that is what happens looks like it'll be a great season.

Archer's marriage proposal scene was classic in this epi.
Flag
I thought the same thing about what he was imagining, until I saw the preview for next weeks episode.
Flag
If this is really gonna happen, I am kinda pissed they spoiled the whole season basically.
Flag
Its really happening
Flag
we'll see^^
Flag
so the drug cartel montages are a preview of the upcoming season? Excellent! They will truly being in the Danger Zone. It looks like it going to be a great season and I'm impressed with them scrapping the premise (spy story) and switching things up so they run a drug cartel! Big Balls!
Flag
Benoit. Balls.
Flag
First I thought SPOILERS! but then it was so much and I didn't want to turn into a kangaroo and then in beans again so I let it blast my thoughts away and was just genuinely happy about it.
Flag
Big Balls could be Archers new code name
Flag
Follow this Show
Members