Archer Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on FXBetween Seasons

Archer: Season 4... The best season yet?

Which season of Archer is the best of the best?

renaldsRAP

[1]Mar 8, 2013
    • level: 9

I have been an Archer fan since the pilot episode ran in the fall of 2009. The show has not lost any of its edge or comedic value during that whole run. When season 2 came out, it raised the bar 10 fold from season 1 and reached a whole new level of brilliance that peaked in the amazingly hilarious episode "Placebo Effect". And the rest of the season was pretty much equally as brilliant - especially upon repeat viewings. Season 3 had some amazing stuff in it as well - particularly the episodes "The Man from Jupiter" and "The Limited". It also had the best season finale thus far with the 2-part "Space Race", guest-starring the greatest actor on TV today, Bryan Cranston, returning to the comedy field that made him so popular in his "Malcolm in the Middle" days. However, season 3 also suffered slightly with its attempts at empathy and pathos regarding Archer's love-life (but it didn't make the three part "Heart of Archness" episodes any less hilarious) and the death of one of the potential candidates for Archer's father. In my mind, the show could not top the near-perfection that was season 2.

Then came the season 4 premiere, "Fugue and Riffs". The episode had me in stitches the entire time and also set up a loose long-arc narrative for the season that continues to pay off in spades. The new character of Ron Cadillac is an excellent addition to the show - and the episode "Midnight Ron" has quickly been added to my list of favorite Archer episodes. The standalone episodes have been top-notch all season long and one of my least favorite characters - Katya - has become far more interesting now that she's made the leap to full-on villain that has proven herself to be much more capable then the revenge obsessed (but always funny) Barry. The season is only a little over halfway done, but if this trend keeps up, this season is sure to go down as my personal favorite yet - and possibly the majority of fans' favorite as well.

So what do you think? Has this show reached new levels of awesome with season 4? Was season 3's attempts at humanizing Archer your favorite? Is there nothing that can compete with the glory of season 2? Or was season 1's simple, but overarching and straightforward narrative style your favorite?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ianhhawkins7

[2]Mar 22, 2013
    • level: 1
    After watching episode 8 of season 4 i (And a couple of more episodes before that) i actually decided to google to see if i was the only one that found this season the best yet!. IAnd this was the only mention to season 4 being the best bit, i felt obliged to join this forum and reply!.

Whats changed?!?!, have they changed writers?, or has my sense of humor changed withing that last year?...(I doubt it)....it must be writers?!?!?!?!?!

ianhhawkins7

[3]Mar 22, 2013

I must add....i should proof read my messages....im currently drunk ya see. :-)

Basically...long time watcher,first time forumer (

ianhhawkins7

[4]Mar 22, 2013

Ahh... i think i've just understood the difference between 'quick reply' and 'reply'......(Previous message was 'quick reply').

Season 4.......i rekon they have new writers....dont get me wrong!; the previous seasons were brilliant....but somethings changed....and i aint complaining!

By the way...the 4th season is on TOP FORM!