Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Nickelodeon (ended 2000)

SrRui

Are You Afraid of the Dark? Fan Reviews (177)

• I love being afraid of the dark!

This has been one of my absolute favorite shows for years (most people who know me already know how awesome I thought this show was). So I think it is about time that I sat down and actually wrote a review for it.

This show centers on a group of kids (collectively known as "The Midnight Society") who sit down next to the campfire, each week, to tell scary stories. Though they are never violent stories, as this is a show aimed at kids and teenagers, they are still enough to give kids a good fright.

Every story in each episode is different, with different characters and settings. However, there are two story characters who do make regular guest appearances.

First off, there is 'Doctor Vink' who is "not a nutbag" [He is somewhat of a villain, who usually enjoys causing trouble for the characters of each story. Sometimes he even tries to punish them in horrific ways].

Secondly, there is 'Mr. Sardot', whoops, I meant " 'Sardo', no Mr., accent on the 'dough' " [He can be an amiable person. He owns a magic shop, whose sale items will usually include things that will lead the story characters into some kind of peril. Usually, he does however try and help them out of the bad situation, as he realises he is at fault for selling the item(s) in the first place].

This was a very popular series. One of the episodes even helped to inspire the top rated movie "The Sixth Sense" (I won't tell you what episode it was, I don't want to spoil it for you - do an internet search if you really want to know).

It was a great show to watch as a kid. Even though none of the episodes will be scary enough for the older viewers, it is a good show for kids wanting to get started on the horror genre (without the problem of nightmares). Also, don't expect groundbreaking special effects, this is a kid's show. Still, if you are a fan of shows such as "Goosebumps" or "The Twilight Zone" then I am sure you will enjoy this show as well. I have every season of it on DVD, and enjoy watching it on a regular basis. It truly is an awesome show. If you are a late 80s / early 90s kid, then I am sure that you already know that.