Are You Afraid of the Dark?

The Tale of the Dead Man's Float

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1995 on Nickelodeon

• The Tale Of Dead Man's Float

As a kid this probably made me nervous of the water. Looking back, it was a fun geek gets the girl story. You have to love the old, wise janitor characters too.
  • One of the scariest episodes

Growing up as a kid in the 90's, Are You Afraid of the Dark was one of my favourite shows, and I remember this as being possibly the scariest episode.

A chemistry genius with a fear of swimming and a swimmer who has been pushing for a school swim team discover an abandoned pool behind a wall of the school, hidden after a student mysteriously drowned in the pool many years before. As soon they soon learn, the pool is haunted by the restless ghost of one body that was left behind when a cemetery was moved to build it.

When Zeke dumps a container of Methyl Orange into the water to turn the ghost visible (only part of the chemistry lesson we get out of this episode!), he must then overcome his crippling fear of the water to save Clorice from the terrifying being it becomes (a nightmarish-looking red skeletal zombie).
  • Seriously... scared you!!!??

SUCKS. I mean, seriously, its predictable. Its the normal story. A nerd boy in love with a popular girl. A ghost of a body buried underneath the school. The boy and the girl fight with it, almost got trapped, but finally destroyed it. O NO! I WASTED ALL OF MY TIME ON THIS! sucks.

body wasnt that ... scary....

worst actors Ive ever seen.

sucks
  • The best episode of this show.

In my opinion this is the best episode of all the "Are you afraid of the Dark" episodes. When i first saw this episode it scared the crap out of me. It's one of those kind of episodes where i wanted to watch what was gonna happen but i was too scared to. lol. In my opinion "are you afraid of the dark" was kinda getting dull, but then i saw this episode and i was like "wow, they are doing it right again" if it wasnt for this episode i dont know if i would have continued watching this show till the end like i did.
  • In my opinion, the scariest of them all!

It took me almost 2 years to get into a pool ever again for fear of being drowned by ghosts! I thought this was a great episode and really played on my fears of the water which I never knew I had. Although it did not contain as much action as some of its more notable episodes it certainly gave me a more believable feel of fear with drowning.
  • Wonderful , Excellent Bone chilling

This episode is the best and probably the scariest episode for the whole Show.Bone Chilling and very very exiting and how they made the monster is the best.It is wonderful so scary.It is Awesome Bone Chilling and very very very very Exciting. It is cool how they made the monster red and like a zombie and how in the beginning they made the zombie come and start killing kids lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol Roflmao so funny and it is cool how they killed the zombie by throwing some weired stuff on him and it is wonderful
  • Ghost in a pool.

This a perfect example of how wonderful and exciting this show is. The scene when the creature is rising form the drain in the locker rooms, is truly haunting. A show like this with a fairly low budget, and only a half an hour to tell an entire story usually doesn't do too well, bu this episode is really good at showing just what a couple of creative people can do. The acting, even though done by children is still superb, and the charcter develop, given the amount of time in this episode, is really amazing. you really know and feel for these charcter's, and for a show that is only half an hour long and meant for children, thats pretty outstanding.
  • This show will sacre you. The darkest and best thing ever to grace Nickelodean's screen.

When I was a young kid I used to stay up late to watch this show. The reason I liked it was because it didn't treat you like a kid. It was scary and not sugar coated. Unlike today when Nickelodean seems to have ditched the idea of a network for kids for cartoons and cheesy sitcoms. This was a prime example of the old nickelodean ideal. Years after it aired I am still frightened by it. It was suspenceful and scary. It was a great episode. I still remember the guy being pulled under the water by an invisible force and the hidden pool. It was just that scary.