Are You Afraid of the Dark?

The Tale of the Dead Man's Float

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1995 on Nickelodeon

• Deep Rising

This episode is probably one of the last great episodes the show ever had. Basically it's sort of a shark in the water like scinario, I never thought that a pool could actually become something scary, it was great how the episode turn something that seems convinent and harmless into something deadly a common thing horror does with convinent enviorments, people, senses, and items it turns them against us. The ghost/zombie look scary, reminded me of those zombies I see in those Italian Horror films like "The Beyond".

However what really drove the show were two of the main protagonists themselves I really like the duo dynamic between them. In a way the theme of it is on self empowerment. Zeke is basically your typical underdog, who doesn't look like much, he has little mussle, misunderstood or overlooked by people but he has brains and a certain charming persona. Like all underdogs he desires the unattainable girl, I'll admit his taste is sort of the same as mine. Clarise, we see is a spicy girl who is just a bit stuck up, thinks Zeke is a geek.

I admire Zeke in this episode because he's got guts as well as the smarts to go with it, sure he probably thought there was no way in the world a girl like her would go out with him due to his limitations which have made him nervous and inexperenced. But he gave it a try and he came through. In a way the more time he spends with her and going through the sittuation their in he becomes more of a guy. Clarise we see begins to warm up to him the more she gets to know him and actually really likes him, because she's seeing that wonderful person deep down inside him.

And it really comes though in my favorate moment when she's in trouble the ghost is coming after her, Zeke doesn't know how to swim but despite that limitation he cares enough about Clarise's life that he actually risks his own by doing the most unexpected thing, jumping in the water to save her, yeah an act like that takes real guts and he's got them.

As the saying goes the only way you can really learn how to swim is to jump in the water. That's what Zeke did when it came to Clarise and he won.