Are You Afraid of the Dark?

The Tale of the Midnight Madness

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 26, 1993 on Nickelodeon

• 2x02

In my opinion this is the best episode not only in this season but in the entire show, I can remember how scared was I when I was child after seeing that horrorific image of nosferatus going out from the screen and persuing that boys, it was so good and i wish that more things like that were shown on tv because nowadyas you only can find stupid reallity shows and things like that, i wish that more interesting storys like these were shown because at this momment tv is dying.

P.D: I´m from venezuela, I´m not an expert writing in English, please forgive my mistakes
  • The strange and mysterious Dr. Vink wants to save an old movie theatre and he brings one of his own movies, but things get out of hand when a vampire gets out of the movie and steps into reality.

This is a great episode because it has Dr. Vink in it. I can remember that Dr.Vink made many strange appearances on Are You Afraid of the Dark. This episode is also scary because of the Vampire that comes out of the movie, Nosforatu. This episode will send chills down your spine.
  • An old time theater was going out of busines ever since a larger theater moved into the same area, but when the manager gets the notice of foreclosure, he decides to play Dr. Vink's movie, Nosferatu: The Demon Vampire, the theater starts to find success.

This is tied for my favorite episode along with The Tale of the Ghastly Grinner because it just plain scared me to death. As a 5 or 6 year old kid, I had numerous nightmares about this very eipisode. When I purchaesed a DVD set of the series, this episode still scared me for one reason: the vampire, Nosferatu. His long fingers, his pasty, deathly white skin, his tall, hunched stature, and his ominous walk send a myriad of chills down my spine. Also, the numerous glances he shoots at the camera made me think that he was looking right at me as a child. This was a magnificent episode that should be in everybody's top five list of AYAOTD.
  • Jumping out of the screen terror.

This is one of my favorate episodes of all time because as a kid it scarred me for one reason, the Norferatu vampire jumping out of the screen and it's physical appearence and omenious presence. The writers and director of the episode really did their homework because the humanoid bat creature has that same terrifiying and believable feel and look like the one from the original 1920's silent film as well as the remake from brilant movie director Wenzer Herzog.

This whole episode has that same format like "The Purple Rose of Cairo" like in that film it has a charater that is from the movie and jumps off screen. But by the episodes nature it was real a love letter to honor the old horror films mainly starting from the silent era that have helped bring horror stories not just to the visual medium but also mainstream as well. Norsfertu has power over the audience back then and it still does over fresh new eyes.
  • Totally scary. It scared the daylights out of me. Good job for Frank

The theatre totally old but they reuse the same cups over and over again? Please it's like gross. No wonder Rialto is not liked. Then Doctor Vink comes and gives them a film to play. Nosefaru the demon vampire. The Vampire is sort of scary out of this world with long fingers and suddenly everyone comes over and watches it. However it came out of the video. Ergh, that bite was so gross and disgusting. Yuck it was totally disastrous but then Dr. Vink purchased the theatre and now plays his movies everyday and it's far more better than the vampire. NOt so good for the workers. Painful to watch.
  • Wow, movies come to life

Nosferatu, the Demon Vampire OMG, he scared the daylights out of me and the moment he came out of the movie, I was scared to my skin and covered the screen. Also, the part when he opened the door, his fingers are so long and so screwed up unlike humans today, well J for example. He's not as scary as J is. That bite was like so COOL! Extreme! Dr. Vink with the Ve Ve Ve, is extraordinary, he's magical but very evil. The Rialto looks like a sickly place for the popcorn containers were used over and over again. Other than that, I think the Vampire wins was awesome.