Are You Being Served? Forums

BBC (ended 1985)

Mr. Lucas

Juliet1972

[1]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 3
    Why did Trevor Bannister leave Are You Being Served??
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Juliet1972

[2]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 3
    I need to know

SamSalmonxyzzz

[3]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 5

In interviews he said that he left to pursue a theater career, and spent time touring the northern part of England. He also said that he never guessed that the show would run so long....

However, it was widely rumoured that he had a serious drinking problem. Sad to say, but i believe that.

francklloyd

[4]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 56
    The BBC gave very late notice to its actors whether a series would return. Trevor Bannister had already signed to do a play, Middle-Aged Spread, when he heard there would be a new series. He tried to arrange it so that he could do both, but it turned out to be impossible.

archangelwho

[5]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 18
    Things like this are sometimes covered on the DVD. Has anyone gotten the DVDs?

emltvcom

[6]Mar 2, 2010
    • level: 2

francklloyd wrote:
    The BBC gave very late notice to its actors whether a series would return. Trevor Bannister had already signed to do a play, Middle-Aged Spread, when he heard there would be a new series. He tried to arrange it so that he could do both, but it turned out to be impossible.

That's exactly what Nicholas Smith confirmed on one of PBS events I attended.

Marlies

MichaelWright6

[7]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 1

I have also read an interview in which he said one reason was the show cameback another season (as others have said) when he was in a play at the same time but ALSO another reason is because the show was meant to be based around the young Mr Lucas as the main character of the show(like in the Pilot & Sexy Knickers) but then Mollie(Slocombe)Sugden started stealing screen time with her 'cat'& pub joke/tales with John(Humphries)Inman close behind with his out-there lastnight tales & "It's me mother!"phone call jokes, so the show became about them,more or less, I always felt sorry for Wendy(Brahms)Richard having not much to do,So by the time series 7 comes around he was unhappy that the Lucas character had'nt grown because of next to no screen time, thats why I think he never came back or never returned in 'Grace & Favour'!

Canada_Michael

[8]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 10
    I was always somewhat disappointed that they didn't at least explore a relationship between Mr. Lucas & Miss Brahms for at least a little while. Even better would have been a secret relationship IMO.

archangelwho

[9]May 30, 2012
    • level: 18

See the post of Mr. Bannister passing. There is a good write up on him and it tells of the conflict of having two roles. One for a year and AYBS for 7 weeks. The BBC would not change the air day for AYBS so he could do both so he took the longer job.

Edited on 05/30/2012 11:54am
    Edited 2 total times.