Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Annoying host

loldude1

[1]May 21, 2011
    • level: 10
    The host jeff is the most annoying game host I have seen. His grammar is not very good. For example, he would say "actually, the answer is blah blah blah". This would be correct grammar if the player got the wrong answer, but he uses this for when the player got the correct answer. This is not funny.

Also, sometimes he would tell people to look at the screen for the answer and then say the answer will be shown after a commercial break. That is also not funny.

Is there a reason for this kind of annoyances? Fortunately for me I have a DVR that I can just fast forward past all the time filler until the question and answer. But I guess the producer don't care about customers with DVR anyway since they don't watch ads. Well, if I don't have a DVR, I would not watch the show because it is too little content stretch out to fill half an hour. Why can't they make it more terse like jeopardy?

It almost seems like the questions are very expensive to come by, therefore they have to use as few questions as possible.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CarmeloZawadz

[2]Jun 28, 2011
    • level: 2

I think it is great how you complain about grammar and then:

"But I guess the producer don't care about customers with DVR anyway since they don't watch ads. Well, if I don't have a DVR, I would not watch the show because it is too little content stretch out to fill half an hour."

It should be either "producers don't care" or "producer doesn't care"; Also, " if I didn't have a DVR," and finally "content stretched out."

BrandinaStap

[4]Sep 13, 2011
    • level: 1

I have to completely agree with the previous persons claim of your being able to point out what you consider flaws in Jeff Foxworthy's ability to use proper grammar, all while does your grammar leave something to desired, but so does your proper use punctuation. Please allow me to explain, and then also answer your question.

The host jeff (Jeff is a proper noun, which would mean it should be capitalized.) is the most annoying game host I have seen. His grammar is not very good. (While this isn't actually "incorrect," it would be easier to read, if you combined the two first sentences. You could do this by simply putting a comma after ". . . I have seen, due to his grammar not being very good." Of course, this is just a matter of preference.) For example, he would say "actually, the answer is blah blah blah". (There are three things wrong with this statement. 1. In your example, you pointed out how, "he would say . . . " Considering how the show is still running, it should read, "he says . . . " 2. Before you insert a quote in your writing, there is a comma after your last word and before the quote. For example, he says, "actually, the . . . " 3. And finally, when you finish the quote, the punctuation belongs on the inside of the quotation mark. Ex. ". . . blah blah blah."This would be correct grammar if the player got the wrong answer, but he uses this for when the player got the correct answer. This is not funny. Also, sometimes he would tell (show is still running, so this should say, "Also, sometimes he tells . . . ") people to look at the screen for the and then say (remove, "and then say," and replace it with, "only to say. . . ") the answer will be shown after a commercial break. That is also not funny. Is there a reason for this kind of annoyances? *ANSWER* Yes, there is a reason for this, and it is called the matter of suspense and keeping contestants on edge, it's the same thing that happens in most other game shows. Fortunately for me, I have a DVR, (yes, there needs to be commas there) that (you should either insert the word "way," as in, "that way . . ." Or, you could shorten it by removing, the comma after DVR and "that I," and replacing it with "and . . .") I can just fast forward past all the time filler until the question and answer. But I guess the producer don't care (As pointed out by the previous person who put the comment pointed out, you again used poor grammar when it came to this statement. I won't retype what the person said, since it was an accurate correction) about customers with DVR anyway since they don't watch ads. Well, if I don't (Remove the word, "well," and change, "don't," to "didn't . . .") have a DVR, I would not watch the show because it is too little content stretch out to fill half an hour. Why can't they make it more terse like jeopardy? (My question for you, and answer to yours is: Why do you watch the show if you have so many complaints about it? And they don't have it as terse as Jeopardy, so it's not copying another show's idea, and guessing by your errors here, the producers need to keep it in this format, that way viewers like you can keep up with the pace of the show.) It almost seems like the questions are very expensive to come by, therefore they have to use as few questions as possible.

Finally, the last thing I would mention is, this is a game show. You are not forced to watch it. If you don't like it, you will not be penalized for not watching it. Also, you need to check your grammar and punctuation before complaining about another's. But, what do I know, I am only an editor.