Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

are the 5th graders jsut supersmart

johntv14

[1]May 23, 2007
    • level: 5

i think the reason why they are smart is because they chose Americas smartests students that always get an A

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

andrewcallaghan

[2]May 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    you're right. it's more like, are you smarter than these 5th graders?

Water78

[3]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 47
    The 5th graders are given textbooks to study from, from the producers.The textbooks have materials inside which will be used for the show.

sarm2006

[4]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 2

What makes them appear even smarter is that they bring contestants that are idiots.

Msblakelewis

[5]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 21
    im in 8th grade and i dont even know some of the questions its pretty sad

HSMfan4Ever

[6]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 6
    Msblakelewis wrote:

Same here

LuvHurley

[7]Sep 7, 2007
    • level: 4

Msblakelewis wrote:

same here well i was when i started watching the show one of the wuestions they asked i learned that day can you say fixed!

BiggJoeStorm

[8]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 7

Msblakelewis wrote:

Yeah, I learned most of the questions when I was in ninth grade. Like Earth Science. I could care less what granite was when I was a little kid, all I care about was how far I threw it

bob07087

[9]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 19
    I agree they are probally good students but compared with the majority of the contestants that come on they look like the belong in mensa.

android1000

[10]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 21
    Hopefully these new 5th graders aren't phony.

jaymc5

[11]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 2
    Watched the two shows tonight and noticed that both Jeff Foxworthy and Nathan had miniature earphones in their right ears (couldn't see the other kids, hair in the way). Don't have a problem with Jeff; probably fed lines from the writers to help out with the show. However, I don't believe the kids should get any help ... kinda puts a damper on the credibility of the show. Not as bad as 21 from years ago, but ...
    Edited on 11/01/2007 10:04pm

PerfectDark0Fan

[12]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 18

does anyone see Nathan looking out in the audenice and behind him alot yesterday. Oh did anyone else realise the weid scene with Regis nealing down after Nathan was called to the podeum Nahtan was laughing at what he was doing and then when the camera went off him toward Regis, Nathan was sitting at his desk. What is up there?

Poor Nathan though with Clay kinda making Nathan feel stupid on his Mark Twain answer?

Edited on 11/02/2007 6:23am

lincoln_true

[13]Nov 8, 2007
    They should take some contestants from jeopardy. Then we would see some millionaires. I wonder if they have a test for the show and people that score too high aren't allowed to participate. ex: "I wonder what transatlantic means?" What adult doesn't know that?

mikeny99

[14]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 3
    Im sure they tell them stuff to study before the shows. All shows have stuff that go on that nobody ever knows about. Only people who work for all of these reality shows really knows what goes on.

The show is great though since you can learn new things all the time. We need more show where you can learn new things. Not some of the stupid reality shows that we have on sometimes.

AndreaMSkate

[15]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 49
    Water78 wrote:
    The 5th graders are given textbooks to study from, from the producers.The textbooks have materials inside which will be used for the show.

I think the contestants are also given textbooks to study from though. I don't know...if I was going to be on that show, I'd learn that book inside out. There wouldn't be a word of it that I wouldn't know by the time I stepped onto the set. But anyway, there have been several instances where I would have won the million dollars by now, had I been the contestant on the show. I'm a 20 year old college student with a 4.0 by the way.

pamhalpert

[16]May 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    AndreaMSkate wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

I think the contestants are also given textbooks to study from though. I don't know...if I was going to be on that show, I'd learn that book inside out. There wouldn't be a word of it that I wouldn't know by the time I stepped onto the set. But anyway, there have been several instances where I would have won the million dollars by now, had I been the contestant on the show. I'm a 20 year old college student with a 4.0 by the way.

There is a big difference between answering those questions in a classroom, and answering tose questions on National Television, in front of millions of people, for a Million Dollars.

sora1226

[17]Jul 4, 2008
    the kids are given answers before the show. producers tell them to miss the question every once in a while :p

AndreaMSkate

[18]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 49
    pamhalpert wrote:
    AndreaMSkate wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

There is a big difference between answering those questions in a classroom, and answering tose questions on National Television, in front of millions of people, for a Million Dollars.

Not if you prepare properly, focus, and get yourself ready mentally. It's like anything else - you get nervous, but you have to use that energy to your advantage.

bdancer99

[19]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 11

yeah, i heard it advertised on the radio, and they said if you know a really smart 5th grader then they should be on the show

jreb78

[20]Aug 10, 2010
    • level: 1

Get a clue! These students are given a "script" to study with all of the questions and answers for the upcoming week. That's why they don't always know the answer and why they misspell so many of the answers. Many of the questions aren't even in normal elementary curriculum. I have found many of the grammar questions answeredin Junior High School textbooks. And you notice they don'y have to answer the bonus question and they usually don't show their answers if they're wrong. Check out the episode of David Ragan first question. 5 X 3.75 = $18.75, not the $17.75 they showed to the world. And the some of the games are fixed like the one for the Superintendent of Schools for in Georgia.The bonus question was from her area of expertise. The "Harvard" people who they say make up the questions don't seem to live in this planet when they make up these ridiculus questions. Stick to actual textbooks and curriculum. I enjoy the show to see what I know and to learn something new now and then and I even use it in school to get students interested in education, but try being fair. Noelementary student isfluent in Spanish, French, Latin, and Italian. So many if them have trouble being fleunt in English, and we're talking about students whose first language IS English.