Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Fake

Steve-Ooooo

[1]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 12
    i think this is fake, note the one person's pick up on the fact that one of the kids is an actor, also see how long it takes every person to answer every question, and then how excited they are when it turns out to be correct (i mean, it doesn't take more then half a second to decide that red and yellow give you orange)

just watching everyone's reactions to the correct answers and such just makes me think that all the contestants are coached on how to answer and how long to take answering them

lastly, the 6 questions per show thing is really stupid, i mean (almost) everyone knows the answers to the question, so a commercial break before the answer just isn't a draw for anyone, as we know what is coming

maybe they came up with the idea then realised that just about everyone is smarter then a 5th grader, so they cut their losses and faked the rest of it
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EpiSouls

[2]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    Lol I thought the show was pretty funny. But, I didn't even know the answers to some questions. I think that the 5th graders were hired to do the things. They had to be prepared or "smart". Like, they would know the answers because they knew what to go over or maybe what the answers were. Still, the show is funny and I like watching it. Seeing all those people get humilliated, in a new twist!

EpiSouls

[3]Mar 1, 2007
    The one I thought that was really stupid was how he asked what 5 times 2 was, and the adult was just going "........". That was just idiotic.

agent_0042

[4]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 66
    Right, they showed that on a promo. He asked it and the contestant stands there all stupid-looking and he comments, "That's not you might be a redneck, that's you are a redneck."

In any case, this show seems to be a hit. America likes watching people being made to look like idiots, but perhaps only for so long. We'll have to see how this show holds out in the long run.

Daprincessalic

[5]Mar 1, 2007
    I kind of think this show may be fake..I mean the kids do look like the were actors or prepared to be smart.

cats12r

[6]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 11

hey dont forget: this stuff is meaningless in adult life, so they forgot itall. thats what its about. and they only worry about the simple questions becuase it goes between filthy rich millionaire or bankrupt loser. i can understand.

and the only reason peoplle on tv.com trhink its dumb because they for the most part arestill teens with no careers yet, and still go to school. plus the high school exit exam.

KingD68

[7]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    this show is so phony. all of the kids are actors. if their fake facial expressions don't give it away, their more than obvious earpieces certainly do. think the producers would really gamble thousands of dollars on kids? they feed the kids direction and answers through the earpiece.

you can tell this whole series was shot on the same day as well. i mean, not only is jeff foxworthy wearing the same clothes, that lady in the purple shirt from episode 2 was wearing the same clothes from episode 1 to 2. i think it'd be humorous to be in the audience to watch them rush out on the set and pretend it's the end of one day, then set it up again and pretend it's the next day.

as for the contestants themselves. the producers tell them to draw the show out, explain how they came to their answer and such. it's the same for all these kinds of shows (deal or no deal for example) it makes the show more entertaining, but the contestants look idiotic. if the contestants themselves are actors, that's possible as well.

i'll admit that these questions can be difficult if it's been years and years since one last thought about trapezoids, but some of these people just seem too stupid. then again, there are a lot of stupid people out there. i hope, for the sake of humanity, that the contestants are actors too.

Ollivander

[8]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yeah, I'm almost certain this show is fake. Some of the questions, such as Ursa Major and Sodium on the periodic table are ridiculous. Unless kids in fifth grade are learning completely new material then when I went to school then they would not know that.

hound562

[9]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    It's so fake. Come on, don't tell me they give out all that money for those easy questions. The people act so phony and fake and seriously who is that stupid not to know. They either pick unintelligent people or they are all paid actors.

wiszardatlarge

[10]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    There is a blurb on the bottom of the screen during the credits that state that all the kids are given workbooks to study from and that some of the questions may come from the workbooks. Actually, the statement is amusing but the kids are definitely coached.

Dark_Eagle80

[11]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 48
    I say that the kids were probably given the answers, as I noticed that two of the students are real life actors, Jacob (Hays) and Laura (Marano). I mentioned this in the thread titled "Who are the the Fifth Graders?"

agent_0042

[12]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 66
    All right. So perhaps the question isn't Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? The question is, how dumb does FOX think its viewing audience is. I mean, giving the kids workbooks and such is bad enough, even with a disclaimer. But now we know at least two of the kids on there to be actors. Did they really think that we wouldn't find out?

Oh, and I just looked at Wikipedia (which isn't always accurate), but in its description it says:

"Five actual fifth graders (who are also professional child actors) appear on each show and play along onstage."

So if you believe that, they are all actors.

Dark_Eagle80

[13]Mar 2, 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out what the other 3 stared/played in. I think I saw that kid Spencer in something, but can't quit place what he was in.  Like I pointed out before, they are hired actors/actresses. Heck, I think that there is the possibility that they could be older than the 5th grade age.

trosk109

[14]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    KingD68 wrote:
    this show is so phony. all of the kids are actors. if their fake facial expressions don't give it away, their more than obvious earpieces certainly do. think the producers would really gamble thousands of dollars on kids? they feed the kids direction and answers through the earpiece.

you can tell this whole series was shot on the same day as well. i mean, not only is jeff foxworthy wearing the same clothes, that lady in the purple shirt from episode 2 was wearing the same clothes from episode 1 to 2. i think it'd be humorous to be in the audience to watch them rush out on the set and pretend it's the end of one day, then set it up again and pretend it's the next day.

as for the contestants themselves. the producers tell them to draw the show out, explain how they came to their answer and such. it's the same for all these kinds of shows (deal or no deal for example) it makes the show more entertaining, but the contestants look idiotic. if the contestants themselves are actors, that's possible as well.

i'll admit that these questions can be difficult if it's been years and years since one last thought about trapezoids, but some of these people just seem too stupid. then again, there are a lot of stupid people out there. i hope, for the sake of humanity, that the contestants are actors too.

Most game shows have 6 or 7 episodes shot in 1 day.

faCt24

[15]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 31
    Ollivander wrote:
    Yeah, I'm almost certain this show is fake. Some of the questions, such as Ursa Major and Sodium on the periodic table are ridiculous. Unless kids in fifth grade are learning completely new material then when I went to school then they would not know that.

to add to the disappointment i only had the periodic table in a 7th grade test once in my whole school career in new york. i had to cheat because i couldn't remember the basic elements and it was my first time ever cheating in that class. i wasn't dumb either i had an 88.5 average when i graduated from middle school. my little brother is in sixth grade and doesn't know what a periodic table is. bottom line is some questions asked on the show are not for fifth graders which makes you wonder if these kids are real.

thatguy1991

[16]Mar 2, 2007
    Yea no normal 5th grader (that I can think of) would be able to know what REM stands or who was the first pres. to be impeached. Heck, even I didn't know them and I'm in high school.

krameriffic

[17]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    cats12r wrote:

hey dont forget: this stuff is meaningless in adult life, so they forgot itall. thats what its about. and they only worry about the simple questions becuase it goes between filthy rich millionaire or bankrupt loser. i can understand.

and the only reason peoplle on tv.com trhink its dumb because they for the most part arestill teens with no careers yet, and still go to school. plus the high school exit exam.

Interesting theory. Either that or my theory that most people are complete idiots is true. I'm inclined to believe in my theory, most people are pretty stupid.

EpiSouls

[18]Mar 2, 2007
    yah, i havent learned about REM yet, and i learned the periodic table *seemingly* in the 7th grade. the kids would HAVE to be actors. No likely ordinary kids get pulled out of school to be on a game show. but anyways, i like the show. its a funny game show and its fun to play along.

monkeyblues5632

[19]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 16
    Dark_Eagle80 wrote:
    I say that the kids were probably given the answers, as I noticed that two of the students are real life actors, Jacob (Hays) and Laura (Marano). I mentioned this in the thread titled "Who are the the Fifth Graders?"

Jacob is on the Disney Channel Really short Report

nickel2006

[20]Mar 3, 2007
    KingD68 wrote:
    you can tell this whole series was shot on the same day as well. i mean, not only is jeff foxworthy wearing the same clothes, that lady in the purple shirt from episode 2 was wearing the same clothes from episode 1 to 2. i think it'd be humorous to be in the audience to watch them rush out on the set and pretend it's the end of one day, then set it up again and pretend it's the next day

obviously they wouldnt stop in the middle of the episode when they are filming

i dont know if its is entirely fake i was reading an article in the newspaper about the redneck and his experience on the show and it didnt sound fake