Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Fake

nickel2006

[21]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 48
    cats12r wrote:

hey dont forget: this stuff is meaningless in adult life, so they forgot itall. thats what its about. and they only worry about the simple questions becuase it goes between filthy rich millionaire or bankrupt loser. i can understand.

and the only reason peoplle on tv.com trhink its dumb because they for the most part arestill teens with no careers yet, and still go to school. plus the high school exit exam.

true
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hound562

[22]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 4
    Someone posted Lakisha's myspace. She apparently admitted that it happened. Maybe the contestants aren't fake, but the kids are definitely paid actors. I just can't believe this show is getting all this attention for what it actually is.

xambivalence

[23]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    And what, may I ask, is wrong with being a teenager?  We'll grow up eventually.  =)

It's true that most people forget that kind of stuff after a while... heck, that was only three years ago for me, and I nearly forgot some of the more reasonable ones.  (My mom started yelling me because I had a total brain lapse and almost forgot how to find the area of a triangle... pretty sad, considering I'm taking Geometry.  But that's just me.) 

I don't think we should bash this show too much.  It's just meaningless humor, not to be taken too seriously.  And while it has its flaws, it's ok to watch every once in a while when not much is on. 

pretzel725

[24]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 3

hound562 wrote:
    Someone posted Lakisha's myspace. She apparently admitted that it happened. Maybe the contestants aren't fake, but the kids are definitely paid actors. I just can't believe this show is getting all this attention for what it actually is.

I wonder if the contestants are paid to get the wrong answer...

hannah__montana

[25]Mar 25, 2007
    I've been to a taping of it, I don't think it's fake at all.

hairforce1

[26]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 5
    i don't think this show is fake i think they try to find adults that are clueless

judog1

[27]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 21
    thatguy1991 wrote:
    Yea no normal 5th grader (that I can think of) would be able to know what REM stands or who was the first pres. to be impeached. Heck, even I didn't know them and I'm in high school.
    Yeah, they must know the answers either that or they are an absolute geneous.

They also answer the questions so fast,

sunnstar7

[28]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 9
    I think that if they use the same actors next season, it would totally prove that this is fake (because then they would be 6th graders).
    As for the ear-piece thing, which is completely plausible by the way, I have a few reasons why it could and couldn't work.
    Could:
    1) Isn't it weird how all four of the kids that weren't picked ALL write the exact same thing? I mean, the one that Alana got wrong--what if the contestant had picked Spencer? I seriously doubt she would have written 89 on her paper and made a fool of herself like that.
    2) The one that Alana got wrong (sorry, I'm kinda obsessed with that), she didn't even look like she believed what she was saying, even though she implied she was pretty sure about it.
    3) Notice how the helping classmate ALWAYS writes the answer long before the contenstant even considers it?
    Couldn't:
    1) Are they (and by they I mean the producers) aloud to cheat like that?
    2) What would happen if one of them couldn't hear the answer or something?
    3) Why would the producers tell one of them **Alana** to give the wrong answer, on the risk of the contestant being wrong? I mean, that's kind of cruel--purposely taking away money.

As for the Jeff wearing the same suit thing, I think he just only wears one suit. It's on in two days, though, so I'll watch for them.

charney2001

[29]Mar 28, 2007
    if you watched the latest episode
    there was a question that was: which contanent is also a country

the lady was too dumb that it seemed fake
    she said that all of the conanents were countrys
    i believe that she did this because she was at 300 000$ and the producers made her stop...

rimnet00

[30]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    KingD68 wrote:
    this show is so phony. all of the kids are actors. if their fake facial expressions don't give it away, their more than obvious earpieces certainly do. think the producers would really gamble thousands of dollars on kids? they feed the kids direction and answers through the earpiece.

you can tell this whole series was shot on the same day as well. i mean, not only is jeff foxworthy wearing the same clothes, that lady in the purple shirt from episode 2 was wearing the same clothes from episode 1 to 2. i think it'd be humorous to be in the audience to watch them rush out on the set and pretend it's the end of one day, then set it up again and pretend it's the next day.

as for the contestants themselves. the producers tell them to draw the show out, explain how they came to their answer and such. it's the same for all these kinds of shows (deal or no deal for example) it makes the show more entertaining, but the contestants look idiotic. if the contestants themselves are actors, that's possible as well.

i'll admit that these questions can be difficult if it's been years and years since one last thought about trapezoids, but some of these people just seem too stupid. then again, there are a lot of stupid people out there. i hope, for the sake of humanity, that the contestants are actors too.

Thats exactly what I was explaining to my roommate. The show is obviously fake. However, I guess it draws its crowd from gaulable people like my roommate who actually believe these kids are for real. This show doesn't do anything but piss me off, because the show is as phony as they come.

judog1

[31]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 21
    charney2001 wrote:
    if you watched the latest episode
    there was a question that was: which contanent is also a country

the lady was too dumb that it seemed fake
    she said that all of the conanents were countrys
    i believe that she did this because she was at 300 000$ and the producers made her stop...
    I think she misunderstood the question, because all continents are made up of countries, but she probably got mixed up because she probably thought that that was what they were asking her and not what is the only continent to be a country

WalkThruWalls

[32]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    Spencer does a toothpaste commercial that has aired several times during the show.

maddisonnxy

[33]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 5
    you have to consider what kind of schools these kids come from..  my cousin turned five in january and is alredy doing reading and math in school. she goes to a marie montassori school.  also when you are homeschooled you tend to be a grade above your average age group. 

sheltiegurl1

[34]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 11
    they always could check the adults IQ to make sure it is very low and then let them on the show to get money. that might be why some of the adults are kinda not so smart...

ndhottie521

[35]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 6
    the kids are given workbooks probably so they don't seem stupid if they ask hard questions because the show isn't supposed to be a quiz on how smart you are but how much most people forget as they get older

andrewcallaghan

[36]May 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    compltely disagree

JJBurns84_basic

[37]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    I believe the contestants are fake, too. Otherwise, what would stop someone from playing dumb until they got on the show? Everything on the show is fake... maybe that's not really Jeff Foxworthy! (J/K)

PerfectDark0Fan

[38]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 18
    Well you can join the show http://fox.com/areyousmarter/showinfo/ so to say the contestests are fake seems ah not right.

xshadowolf

[39]Dec 15, 2007
    • level: 15
    I think it is not fake just sctecthed out to make a show

JJBurns84_basic

[40]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    Well, they don't want people to know it's fake. Of course, they're going to have applications.