Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Feb 27, 2007 In Season

Catwoman87531

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Fan Reviews (95)

7.7
  • "protagonist" and "antagonist" are NOT opposites

The prefix of "protagonist" is not pro-, the opposite of anti-. It is proto-, meaning "first". The word means "first actor", and is used to denote the main character of a story. "Antagonist" means "opponent". Actually Ichabod Crane is both protagonist and antagonist in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", because he is both the main character and an opponent of Bram Bones.
  • Unbelievable

I've been a daily viewer of Jeopardy for probably 6 years. Occasionally, they'll have a Final Jeopardy question where I think, 'You've gotta be kidding. No normal person knows the answer to this

When I watch this show, I think at least once an episode, 'No 5th grader knows the answer to this question. Sure, they might know it if someone explained it to them 5 minutes ago, but that's the only

To me, that takes a lot of the fun away from watching it. Seeing a 35-year-old not know how many ounces are in a cup is funny. Seeing a 5th grader know the answer to High School level math questions just makes the show feel very fake.

I like the host and the concept of the show. It's the execution I dislike
  • watch first two minutes and last 5 minutes

I recorded the show and was looking forward to watching it but when they announced in first Minute that the player makes it to final question for me it took all the fun out of it for me, the fun is seeing if the kids can save the player and the tension that builds with that, that was taking away so I fast forward to last 5 minutes saw the guy lose and went on to something else maybe that's just me I don't know, a teaser is one thing that was something else
  • trick question on show aired 5/26

In 1896 Henri Becquerel discovered that uranium salts emitted rays that resembled X-rays in their penetrating power.

In July 1898 Curie and her husband published a joint paper announcing the existence of an element which they named "polonium", in honor of her native Poland, which would for another twenty years remain partitioned among three 8] On 26 December 1898, the Curies announced the existence of a second element, which they named "radium", from the Latin word for 18][25][31] In the course of their research, they also coined the word 8]

Contestant gave the answer "radium" but the show claimed the answer was uranium I would file a protest the way the question was worded
  • Watching other Trivia Shows?

Anyone else watch multiple trivia shows? Ken Jennings is going to be on Millionaire this Friday -- Anyone planning to watch it? Okay so maybe there's no Foxworthy, but still it looks a really good episode from the youtube clip!
  • 5th Grade Teacher Contestant

Just finished watching the episode with the 5th Grade teacher as the contestant - her daughter was also one of the students. Seriously - I would be ashamed to call myself a a teacher if I were her. It was embarrassing to watch. She wasn't able to answer but 2 of the questions on her own. If she is any indication to what our school system is putting out there as teachers - well, we are in bad shape! Tsk . . . Tsk . . . Tsk!
  • Answer to a question during commercial break was wrong.

4.5
    The question was "How many gallons of milk does it take to make a gallon of ice cream?" The answer gave was 12. If you were asking how many pounds, it would be correct. a gallon of milk weighs 8.6 lbs. So, that would be approx. 1.4 gallons to make 1 gallon of ice cream.
  • RE:WRONG WAY TO FIGURE THE ANSWER !!!

by the way your method is incorrect. enter in 18 divided by 10% on any reg calculator and it gives you 10. The correct way to solve the question mathematically with out using the process of elimination (what the show used) is by using a algebraic method of cross multiplication and solving for X.

ie.

if 18 is what is left over after 10% was spent then 18 is the remainder 90% of the original amount. (just so you can understand were the %'s came from)

$18=90%, and X=100% solve for X.

18/X=90/100

(cross multiply the two sides of the equation)

18x100=90X

1800=90X

1800/90=X

20=X

therefor X equals 20. The original amount Johnny had was $20.

Thought you might want to learn something. Tonawanda-TODD

• WRONG WAY TO FIGURE THE ANSWER !!!

ON "ARE U SMARTER THEN A 5TH GRADER", THE QUESTION WAS JOHNNY HAS $18 NOW AND HE SPENT 10% OF THIS MONEY, HOW MUCH MONEY DID JOHNNY HAVE WHEN HE STARTED??

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS $20, BUT THE WAY YOU SHOWED HOW TO GET THE ANSWER WAS WRONG!!

$20X10%=$2 AND $20-$2=$18 !! THAT IS CORRECT, BUT THE METHOD IS WRONG !

WHAT U SHOULD HAVE DONE WAS TAKE $18 AND DIVIDED IT BY 10% AND THAT WOULD EQUAL $20, THAT IS WHAT HE STARTED OUT WITH !! IN UR METHOD, U HAD TO GUESS AT NUMBERS TO COME UP WITH THE RIGHT AMOUNT! GOOD LUCK ON THAT ONE!!

IN THE CORRECT METHOD, THERE WAS NO GUESSING!! IT IS THE ANSWER!! AND IT IS THE CORRECT ORDER OF OPERATION!! LEARN IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME,

PROFESSOR TODD FISCHER, REAL ESTATE AND CERTIFIED GENERAL APPRAISAL INSTRUCTOR IN BRANDON, FLORIDA 33511
  • Leap Year....

They're talking about leap years and Jeff just said "30 days has September, April, May, and November" that's not right... "30 days has September, April, JUNE, and November." Should Jeff play "Are you smarter than the contestants?" jk
  • SATS - reduncancy

Love the show but it drives me crazy when they put "David got a 1300 on his SATS." It is SAT.

SAT is Scholastic Aptitude Test (singular.) You get one score for one test. It is not Scholastic Aptitude Tests.

Same concept when people say "ATM machine." ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. No need to say Automated Teller Machine Machine.
  • How do i sign up?

How do I sign up to be on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? I have been looking for about 7 months now and still no answer...Would really like to see If I am and try for the million dollar question ;) LOVE THIS SHOW
  • The world is full of talent!

Teachers and students get to be contestants. And by students I mean youth. It's great, because sometimes being a 5th grader means you're underestimated. But not with this quiz show. FUUUUUUUN!
  • A BIG MISTAKE MARCH 29TH SHOW

4.5
    I love this show but, the MATH question on prime numbers was totally wrong. The number 6 is not a prime number as they said it was correct, the number 6 is a composit number. You can go to ask.com and type in prime numbers and you will find this....No prime numbers are only divisible by themselves and 1. (1,2,3,5,7,11) 1 X 6 = 6 and 2 X 3 = 6, making it a composite number. Makes a person wonder how many questions were concidered write when they were actually wrong so that the person doesn't win the money???
  • a mistake

I didnt know where else to put

this but the march 12 show at 8:00 pm asked what the name of the roman mortal who performed 13 tasks to gain immortalityanthe answer was Hercules. "However", it should have asked who the Greek was because Hercules was a son of Zeus which is Greek mythology not Roman and Hercules was already immortal he just was never sure of it so was always doing stuff to test his limitations.
  • Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Watch the show and find out.

OK i think this is a good game show. I like this show, sometimes it's really awesome, but other times its predicable and boring. OK this show is about ordinary adults trying their luck by answering questions that a 5th grader would know. And they're 5 5th graders to help them along the way. Now the main reason i watch this show is because of Jeff Foxsworthy. He always gives me a good laugh. But sometime what he says it's predicable, but other times its funny. Like When someone answers a question that their not sure of and its right he acts like its wrong but really its right. Well this is a good game show and it airs on GSN so if you have some spair time, check this show out. Overall 7/10.
  • Decent, but...

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? was an original idea and like most gameshows in my opinion, when it first came out, I liked it and praised it. But over the years it has gotten boring with way too many breaks in the action and is it just me, or are the questions beyond fifth grade level? A lot of the questions, I didn't learn the material until junior high school/high school! And the adults they have up there, are unbelievably dumb. I understand they haven't been in school for years, but some of the stuff is just common sense! I hope I don't lose that much information after I graduate.
  • Boring with way to many commercials

Quick question. What kind of school teaches a lot of the things that are on the show at that grade level and how can I get in? Since I am pretty sure that a lot of those questions are college level and above unless the school that apparently teaches them are full of 5th graders and below with college level brains.

• Why is TJ on the show?

Not only have I NEVER seen TJ give a correct answer when used as a cheat, his answers are absolutely ludicrous!!! For instance - he thinks that Spain is a state in the US. He once gave the name of a baseball player for a question that asked for the name of a US state. None of his answers are even in the ball park of being anywhere near correct. I seriously doubt that he's any better than a D student if that. I was more knowledgeable than him when I was 5 yrs. old.

• It kind of gets boring after a while.

When this show first came out, I really loved it. I got a neat game from it, and I used to watch the show a lot. However, it starts to getrepetitiveafter a while. In this game, a contestant who is about in their 20's stars in this game show and is asked a number of questions from a screen, ranging from 1st grade to 5th grade, and the categories range from Math to Music. Next to them, there are a bunch of super smart 5th graders in which you can take answers from, and use them as your own to answer questions. This show actual did went off to a good start, but I noticed that it started to seem dull after awhile. The same thing usual repeats with minimal differences. The categories are also good, but seem limited too. The contestants themselves are also bland and kind of act like the same. The thing I don't really like are some of the questions themselves. Some of them range from being ridiculously easy to being as hard as a brick wall. Some of the 5th grade questions are very easy, while some of them feel like trying to get past a brick wall without getting bruised. I do like the host, though. He's very funny and charming too.

5th Grader does has some faults, but it is an overall good show. If you want to see good gaming shows, then this one is for you.

FINAL SCORE: 7/10 Decent

• YAY!

I reall, really, really, like this show because it tests my smarts. hehe. MY grandma and I used to watch this show. I miss watching it with her beyond words. R.I.P grandma! But I like that they use real kids, and I love the personality os the kids and the game host.
  • Cute...but needs something different.

This is a cute kids show...but for some reason, I just don't like it. I think personally if it had a different host it would be a better show. I think that the prize / winnings should be done differently. I have watched the show quite a few times and no one ever wins a substancial amount of money...they might win 1,000....but the shows that i've watched were less than that. I doubt there are too many people applying to be on that show. Like I said, it's a cute show...but I would turn on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire or Wheel of Fortune before I would this show.
  • Insulting and demeaning.

At first I watched this show because I thought it very humorous. But after a few episodes the show was no longer funny to me, it actually starting being kind of insulting and very demeaning. Adults are brought down to a level of feeling like they are dumb. They are made to feel like young children are smarter then them. Are we all so naive that we do not know that these children have all been prepped prior to the shows? All of the questions are fairly easy, it's just that we have not studied the material recently and the children have. The majority of us know all of the answers, so when it comes down to it I find that this show is just too belittling for my taste.
  • its pretty good but some of those kids dont look like 5th graders.

kind of good show but if watched too much, you get tired of it. its okay. the show is about contestant that are usualy celebs but can be sombody else. the contestant gets to chose a grade and choses a subject from it. there is 2 subjects in each grade and the grades are 1-5. they chose a new 5th grader to help out with them for every 2 subjects they do.they get 3 cheats as well. peak, copy, and save.once they get to thee million dollar question, there is no one to help them out, it is a 5th grade, and they cant use cheats. they can drop out before the million dollar question and before any question but if they get into one, they cant get out.
  • its a pretty well putogeather game show

the name of the show is are you smarter then a 5th grader and the people come on to win the grandprize but to do that they have to anwser certain difficutly questions in each catagory that a 5th grader would know. its funny becasue some of the people on here make them self look stupid and at the same time its kinda hard for the older people becasuse they have not been in the 5th grade for years . but still some the questions are pretty common sence lol. but the show is well putogeather i seen the person that won and there has been multple winners now.
  • Alright...

I loved this show when I first watched it, but later on I realized that the pacing is bad. The contestant answers like one, two questions and right when they answer another, it goes to commercial. So in that aspect it seems poor and is very repetitive. And it seems some of the questions are too hard for 5th graders. I am in 10th grade and I do not know some of the answers, nor do I remember learning them {I do not think I did}.

So, if they changed the format a little I think it could work better
  • im in 9 grade! these questions too advanced

I'm only in 9 grade and half of these questions "a fifth grader SHOULD know is what i learned last year or in 7 grade"! the reason why i didn't give it a bad grade is because this shows how many stuff is cramped in a child's brain! i like it because when my mom watches it and wants to know the answer i fell smart when telling her.:) this show i can't catch up with because there are these group of kids and then later on it's another! where do they get them from, their parents must want them to grow up being nerds but forcing them to answers that of COURSE a adult can't answer! shows these days only if it had better plot i would give it a higher rating but for now this is good for now
  • It is enlightening and mildly interesting to watch.

I have watched this show a couple of times and it keeps me entertained. What happens in the show is the challenger picks a grade level then a category from that grade level where they will get their questions from. Also they select a kid to help them with their answers. Many of the questions are from the things we learned when we were younger but cant recall as we get older; It helps me recall things from my previous grades that I learned but dont remember. Some of the questions are confusing but in overall the show is great to watch! (^_^)
    ~XD~
  • This show bothers me. The concept is good, but the show is way too overrated.

6.6
    "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" is way too overrated in my opinion. It seems like they choose mostly people who aren't that bright. Look at other shows, like "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Most of the people that make it on the show would breeze through these questions, at least until the million-dollar question. It's unbelievable what some of these idiots don't know. I'll admit, some question can be a little tricky, but most aren't. Most are very simple questions that even a forgetful person should know. Not only that, but the show's pace is extremely slow. Jeff Foxworthy stretches the show to the point where I can't watch it anymore. Most shows would call this a strategy, but this show takes slow pace to a whole new level.
  • saome of tjhese people ARE smarter than 5th gradeers

something i noticed about this show is most of the people on the show either didnt get this level of education OR they simply forgot these things because u never need them in real life. i mean seriously, is anyone ever gonna ask u what the square root of 12 is, in a job interview? Not to mention the things they taught back in the day aren't as much as what they teach now. Maybe they act dumb for show or maybe they really dont know it but this show is still entertaining. Not only does it help u remember things and teach u new things, it also makes u laugh!! Now there are some questions that u just CANT get wrong but somehow they dont get it right O_o. Well overall, this show is funny and informative which is why i like it =D.
< 1 2 3 4