Army Wives Forums

Lifetime (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread- 3.1 "Best Laid Plans" (SPOILERS)

bballmegan22

[1]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 30

Original Air Date: June 7, 2009
    Episode Synopsis:
    The third season begins with a desperate search for Emmalin, who has run off to get married just as Claudia Joy and Michael are planning to depart for Brussels. Faced with losing the bar, Roxy does whatever she can to work an equitable deal with Collin.

Please use this thread to discuss this episode.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

iamafan2009

[2]Jun 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    I so can't wait. My absolute fav show

TVAddict1987

[3]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    bballmegan22 wrote:

Episode Synopsis:
    The third season begins with a desperate search for Emmalin, who has run off to get married just as Claudia Joy and Michael are planning to depart for Brussels. Faced with losing the bar, Roxy does whatever she can to work an equitable deal with Collin.

man, what an ep. First: Emmalin needs a serious attitude adjustment. If she is still grieving her sister's death, then she needs to talk. Right now, she is acting like a spoiled brat.

Trevor was awesome when he told off Logan.

I do not feel sorry for Denise. I don't think being separated is an excuse to do what you want. If she decided to get involved with Mac, then she needed to get a divorce.

Loved what happened with Betty's "nephew". I had a feeling he was not going to turn out to be who he said because what he was doing was NOT legal!

Looking forward to the season!

LatinPassion

[4]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 7
    bballmegan22 wrote:

Episode Synopsis:

Was I the only one who thought this episode was a HUGE dud.

I mean awesome, Army Wives is back on air, but I seriously was expecting something more. Here are my problems with this episode.

Roxy: Ok, I know she has gone through some things, but this is the second time she caught a break with the bar. First with the vicious "flirt" and now with this con artist. I mean I'm happy that all went well for her, but I am tired of her story lines revolving around Betty's Bar & Grill. She's now becoming a filler character.

Trevor: He's trying way too hard to be tough. His whole telling Roxy, this is our last card, was a bit laugh in your face. We all knew that Roxy was going to use it towards a lawyer and not fix the car, so why bother. Looking at next week's episode, look's like Roxy and family are yet again in danger of having to leave post.

Emma Lynne: I was just waiting for her to say "#%@$ You !" or "Go %#$@ Yourself !". She gave off that I hate you guys vibe. Not that her grieving Amanda's death isn't a plausible story line, but we had her going through that last season. Again I'm not saying you feel better overnight (oh how I wish that were the case, sigh*), but considering the pace of this show and her actions, it does not hint at grieving.

Denise: I feel really bad for Denise, I'm not saying she did the right thing, but ouch. The guy didn't really care about her, it was more of a, "You made me feel like a man again, my girlfriend thanks you for that.". Then when she goes to Claudia Joy's I couldn't help but want to laugh. Claudia Joy's reaction was more akin to; "The World Hates Me, leave me alone, aaahhh!!!". Denise's reaction was more like ;"WTF, after I walked all this way to your house you're gonna slam the door in my face. I can't believe this %$#@ !". I realize I'm giving them all potty mouths, but the episode was just that dull yesterday. Oh yeah, Frank can't die. They assumed him dead the first season, so I doubt they'll go through with it. I think he's going to be very badly injured and Denise is going to have to take care of him for the rest of their life. In the process Denise will learn to fall in love with him again.

Joan: Not enough Joan. She better not die when she is deployed, that would be tragic. I'd probably stop watching the show.

Claudia Joy: Blech. She's going to stay behind. I think her going to Brussels and Emma Lynne staying behind (perhaps with Denise, ok maybe that is a bad idea at the moment) would have been a better choice. I wonder how Claudia Joy would have coped having to adapt to being so far from her friends.

Roland: Not enough Roland. I know he'll still talk to Denise. Heck he might air his dirty laundry to get some heat off her back.

Pamela: The whole fingerprint bit was smart (my mom picked up on it being her reason for going to Betty's) and it shows that Pamela is going to have it going on this season. But how going on can she have it when she has no one to watch the kids.

Colonel Holden: I think he should have stuck by his guns. I mean if you're going to grieve, grieve together as a family. The whole I wasn't going to make the same mistakes I made with Amanda bit came right off of last season. I still believe the scene with everyone eating at Claudia Joy's home last season should have been the last episode for when the show ends. It was perfect to show everyone's problems resolved. But this season seems to have quite a few hurdles to jump to tie up these MANY problems.

TVAddict1987

[5]Jun 8, 2009
    LatinPassion wrote:
    bballmegan22 wrote:

Episode Synopsis:

Was I the only one who thought this episode was a HUGE dud. I mean awesome, Army Wives is back on air, but I seriously was expecting something more. Here are my problems with this episode. Roxy: Ok, I know she has gone through some things, but this is the second time she caught a break with the bar. First with the vicious "flirt" and now with this con artist. I mean I'm happy that all went well for her, but I am tired of her story lines revolving around Betty's Bar & Grill. She's now becoming a filler character. Trevor: He's trying way too hard to be tough. His whole telling Roxy, this is our last card, was a bit laugh in your face. We all knew that Roxy was going to use it towards a lawyer and not fix the car, so why bother. Looking at next week's episode, look's like Roxy and family are yet again in danger of having to leave post. Emma Lynne: I was just waiting for her to say "#%@$ You !" or "Go %#$@ Yourself !". She gave off that I hate you guys vibe. Not that her grieving Amanda's death isn't a plausible story line, but we had her going through that last season. Again I'm not saying you feel better overnight (oh how I wish that were the case, sigh*), but considering the pace of this show and her actions, it does not hint at grieving. Denise: I feel really bad for Denise, I'm not saying she did the right thing, but ouch. The guy didn't really care about her, it was more of a, "You made me feel like a man again, my girlfriend thanks you for that.". Then when she goes to Claudia Joy's I couldn't help but want to laugh. Claudia Joy's reaction was more akin to; "The World Hates Me, leave me alone, aaahhh!!!". Denise's reaction was more like ;"WTF, after I walked all this way to your house you're gonna slam the door in my face. I can't believe this %$#@ !". I realize I'm giving them all potty mouths, but the episode was just that dull yesterday. Oh yeah, Frank can't die. They assumed him dead the first season, so I doubt they'll go through with it. I think he's going to be very badly injured and Denise is going to have to take care of him for the rest of their life. In the process Denise will learn to fall in love with him again. Joan: Not enough Joan. She better not die when she is deployed, that would be tragic. I'd probably stop watching the show. Claudia Joy: Blech. She's going to stay behind. I think her going to Brussels and Emma Lynne staying behind (perhaps with Denise, ok maybe that is a bad idea at the moment) would have been a better choice. I wonder how Claudia Joy would have coped having to adapt to being so far from her friends. Roland: Not enough Roland. I know he'll still talk to Denise. Heck he might air his dirty laundry to get some heat off her back. Pamela: The whole fingerprint bit was smart (my mom picked up on it being her reason for going to Betty's) and it shows that Pamela is going to have it going on this season. But how going on can she have it when she has no one to watch the kids. Colonel Holden: I think he should have stuck by his guns. I mean if you're going to grieve, grieve together as a family. The whole I wasn't going to make the same mistakes I made with Amanda bit came right off of last season. I still believe the scene with everyone eating at Claudia Joy's home last season should have been the last episode for when the show ends. It was perfect to show everyone's problems resolved. But this season seems to have quite a few hurdles to jump to tie up these MANY problems.

Sorry you did not like it, I thought it was good. They have plenty of time to tie up these storylines. btw, It is Brigadier General Holden, not Colonel.

PattiP0414

[6]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 9

I had been eagerly waiting for the new season to start. I was NOT (and and STILL AM NOT) happy with the Denise storyline. We saw it the adultery storyline plenty enough in Season 1. Anyway, here are a few quick thoughts about Season 3's first episode . . .

Emmalyn DEFINITELY needs an attitude adjustment. She is ONLY 16. I think her acting out because she hasn't really grieved the loss of Amanda Joy is plausible. Emmalyn is still a child and therefore, her reactions are that of a child. Each person grieves differently - even within a close family unit. Dealing with the loss of someone close is a constant, daily struggle. There is no set time limit for grieving. Was definitely happy to see that Logan came to his senses!!

Roxy and Trevor . . . the honeymoon period is now officially over. However, Roxy's lessons on being a military life are NOT. All the other wives - and Roland - have YEARS on her. They have learned almost all the "tricks of the trade". I had a feeling that the "nephew" wasn't what he claimed to be. (I loved seeing Drew Fuller and Ivan Sergei together. Drew played 'Chris Halliwell' and Ivan played 'Henry Mitchell', husband to his 'Aunt Paige' on "Charmed". Brigid Brannagh appeared in a Season 2 episode.)

I really felt bad for Denise. Yes, she was wrong for doing what she did. But, damn!! The woman lost her job, her lover, her best friend, and most likely her husband all in a matter of a few short hours!! The one person that will DEFINITELY understand alot of what she's going through is Roland. He has been there. Done that. (I SOOOOOOOOOO wanted Denise's unfaithfulness to be some hideous nightmare!!)

I have more thoughts about this episode, but I shall save them for tomorrow . . .

armywivesfan12

[7]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 1
    This season is already starting to infuriate me. Yes, what Denise did was wrong. Personally, I do not think that that means it is okay for her friends to turn their backs on her- who are they to judge her morally to the point of terminating long-standing and substantive friendships? I know that I would definitely be there for a friend going through this, regardless of whether I thought her actions were right or wrong. I might not have had an affair, but like most everyone else, I too have done things that are morally questionable and therefore ultimately regretted. With that said, even if people want to adopt the view that what Denise did was so deplorable that the other wives have a right to end their friendships with her, I still find it inexcusable that in the first season, when Roland cheats on his wife, who like Frank is risking her life for this country, the wives forgive him and Roland ends up happy. There are no instances in which other army personnel condemn him, like the woman who fired Denise condemned her. Now, when a woman does it to her husband, it is this huge story line, the other wives are turning their backs, and Denise's life is becoming an absolute nightmare. Everyone feels like that have a right to be involved and a right to judge her, despite the fact that it is none of their business, just like it was none of anyone's busienss when Roland was unfaithful to his wife other than his and Joan's.

bballmegan22

[8]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 30

LatinPassion wrote:
    Was I the only one who thought this episode was a HUGE dud.

I agree in some sense. Though I'm extatic the show is back, I feel like the plot of this episode resembled that of a building episode where they just set the tone for future episodes that are "knock-outs". Usually I don't mind these kind of episodes, but seeing it in a season premeire just didn't suffice me. I like some components, but I think the "wow" factor was missing this episode.

Emmalin's story of stored grief seems legit, and I'm anxious to see how it progresses. I wish there was a way for Michael to stay with Claudia Joy and Emmalin at home, but part of me thinks he won't be in Brussels for too long. I miss the Roxy and Trevor loving relationship they had in season one. Everything they show just seems to be so tense now. Hopefully we will see a little more of them happier. I did like Pamela's savyness in this episode! I did not see it coming because I forgot she was a cop, but she pulled that one off great!

I'll be looking for a twist or something exciting next week!

PattiP0414

[9]Jun 11, 2009
    • level: 9

The whole Denise story-line is really infuriating for me simply because it is getting OLD!! Ok . . . the Denise character needed to 'grow' and 'evolve' - they did not need to make her have an affair to do so!! I am not judging her. Hell, I've done my fair-share of things during my lifetime that I do not (well, try really hard not to) judge anyone. I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy when this particular storyline is finished!!

As for the tribe turning their backs on Denise, I'm not thrilled with that, either. No matter what my friends have done that I may be morally opposed to, I never turned my back on them. To me, being a friend means unconditional love, loyalty and commitment until the end of time and beyond. Those of us that have watched this show from the beginning, know that each wife - and Roland - has done something that is kind of shady. However, I think that I'll hold off sharing my thoughts until after I see how this plays out. The previews are typically deceiving and not necessarily played in order. I think that the characters are reacting to Denise's affair differently than Roland's affair because Denise's affair is 'public' knowledge. Roland's one night stand was done discreetly. I'm hoping that once their initial shock has worn off, the tribe will rally around Denise.

After watching the episode a second time, I feel Claudia Joy's reaction is understandable. Her husband had just left for a new duty station without the family. It was the first time for that. On top of that, she's been dealing with Emmalyn's issues. All of the Holdens are still grieving the loss of Amanda. Helping out a friend was just not something that she could do - at that moment. She was EXTREMELY overwhelmed.

I have to with those that said that the 'wow' factor wasn't there for this season's opener. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing some Joan/Evan interaction and for Little Ms Jennifer Connor to get what she deserves!!

TVAddict1987

[10]Jun 11, 2009
    PattiP0414 wrote:

I had been eagerly waiting for the new season to start. I was NOT (and and STILL AM NOT) happy with the Denise storyline. We saw it the adultery storyline plenty enough in Season 1. Anyway, here are a few quick thoughts about Season 3's first episode . . .

Emmalyn DEFINITELY needs an attitude adjustment. She is ONLY 16. I think her acting out because she hasn't really grieved the loss of Amanda Joy is plausible. Emmalyn is still a child and therefore, her reactions are that of a child. Each person grieves differently - even within a close family unit. Dealing with the loss of someone close is a constant, daily struggle. There is no set time limit for grieving. Was definitely happy to see that Logan came to his senses!!

Roxy and Trevor . . . the honeymoon period is now officially over. However, Roxy's lessons on being a military life are NOT. All the other wives - and Roland - have YEARS on her. They have learned almost all the "tricks of the trade". I had a feeling that the "nephew" wasn't what he claimed to be. (I loved seeing Drew Fuller and Ivan Sergei together. Drew played 'Chris Halliwell' and Ivan played 'Henry Mitchell', husband to his 'Aunt Paige' on "Charmed". Brigid Brannagh appeared in a Season 2 episode.)

I really felt bad for Denise. Yes, she was wrong for doing what she did. But, damn!! The woman lost her job, her lover, her best friend, and most likely her husband all in a matter of a few short hours!! The one person that will DEFINITELY understand alot of what she's going through is Roland. He has been there. Done that. (I SOOOOOOOOOO wanted Denise's unfaithfulness to be some hideous nightmare!!)

I have more thoughts about this episode, but I shall save them for tomorrow . . .

I soooo agree with you about the Denise storyline! I just want them to work on their arriage instead of there being MORE trouble, and I just hate that the writers have taken Denise down this path. I understand that she is changing, but do characters always have to have affairs??????????? I think her friends will be more supportive coming up. That was just a bad night for CJ, and I am sure she will be more helpful once getting through that. I also think that Roland will be the most help.