Arrested Development

Beef Consomme

Aired Unknown Feb 15, 2004 on Netflix

• "You're a good guy, mon frère. That means "brother" in French. I don't know why I know that. I took four years of Spanish!"

And so the tale of Michael, Marta and Gob comes to an end in a way that only "Arrested Development" could pull off: in a hilarious three-way chase/fight between Michael, Gob and Buster. I thought it was strange to see Marta written off so nonchalantly, but it was about time, and the episode was great.

"Beef Consomme" ties up all of the plot points of the previous episode while still making it possible for the show to come back to them later down the line. And despite being a continuation, the episode freshens things up a bit and gives us a new plot to follow along with.

Behind all of the Michael and Marta drama, there's a new development with George Bluth. His trial has arrived and Barry, the bumbling lawyer (again played by Henry Winkler) wants the whole family to show up for it. Of course, things don't go according to plan. Michael realizes Marta wants to be with him, and the two fool around only to be stopped by a series of signs (when Michael tries to put music on to sweeten the mood, it's a tape of Gob singing a love song). Buster spends his time trying to win over Marta and get punched in the face. Meanwhile, Tobias finally gets a part in a movie, but it requires nudity. Lindsey tries to help him through his never-nude phase and ends up somewhat rekindling their relationship, and George Michael grows closer to learning whether Maeby is actually related to him or not. All of this happens while George, Gob and Lucille await George Bluth's sentencing.

I mentioned the chase/fight at the end of the episode, and there's something so unchoreographed, gritty… even hilarious in the way Gob attacks Michael upon learning him and Marta hooked up. Marta's break-up with both Gob and Michael is perhaps the most contrived part of an otherwise superb episode.
  • Marta's last appearance

The end of this episode is hilarious, with the camera not being allowed to film the court room scene, but not before it is revealed that Barry Zuckerkorn just came from another case where he was the accused, much like the Simpsons’ Lionel Hutz (“I’ve argued in front of every judge in the state, often as a lawyer”).

Buster had some great scenes in this episode, especially his fantasy to get punched in the face and Marta not knowing who he was.

Tobias starts to get over his never-nude condition in a hilarious way and starts to conclude that plot of the show aswell after Marta broke up with both brothers.

Overall, this episode is entertaining from start to finish and is one of the best season one episodes so far.