Arrested Development

Bringing Up Buster

Aired Unknown Nov 16, 2003 on Netflix

• "Everyone's laughing and riding and cornholing except Buster."

It's fun to go back and watch "Arrested Development" again in order to see certain recurring jokes and moments from early on that will reappear again and again as the show goes on. The writers trusted it's core group of fans to remember these jokes, which is probably why the ratings were not great; it required a great amount of attention to detail and trusted them to be able to pick up on subtle things.
    I rated this episode lower than the previous two, but not because this was necessarily worse. I actually think grades for this show are pretty difficult, because I like every episode, so it's hard to be completely objective in reviews. That being said, I liked this episode more the second time I saw it but still enjoy the previous two episodes more. I absolutely love the first appearance of the Cornballer, an item that would come to play roles in future episodes many times, as well as the first appearance of Steve Holt (!). We also get our first real glimpse at Buster after a pilot episode that put him in the background and a second episode that didn't even have him in it.

The basic idea of the episode, in all of the plots, is the idea that you need to give your children space and allow them to live their own lives and decide when they want to do things with you. Michael has trouble doing family stuff with George Michael now that he's getting older (the truth is, George Michael is just enamored by Maeby and wants to hang out with her) and Buster, the youngest Bluth child, finally breaks away from Lucille, and the results are absolutely hilarious. While Buster hangs out with Michael, he finds a freedom he didn't realize existed before, and as a result, we get a series of increasingly profane and likely horrific comments that are bleeped out for effect, to which Michael responds "Well, nobody's going to top that." I've always been of the mind that bleeping out a swear is more effective and hilarious than actually saying it (there are exceptions of course) and this episode is absolute proof of that.

David Cross was also awesome as Tobias here. The way he takes over the school play and completely twists the Shakespeare story around was fantastic, and there are just countless things going on here that make me laugh over and over every single time: Tobias licking the pen, him rolling onto the stage, falling out of the director's chair, crying in the shower.. The list goes on. Tobias is a sad sack type of character, but one that stays progressively funny over the entire show.

There's just so many little things going on here, too much to comment on in a simple review of the show. I'd need my own blog and website to truly devote the time needed to each and every episode. Maybe I'll rewatch this episode later and rate it higher. Scoring episodes really is a drag. But until then, I have to say that this is still a great episode of the show, one that brought us a little further into the world of Buster.

Another great installment of Arrested Development, I didn't think it came together as well as the last episode, but it was still good nonetheless. I think the best thing that came together was Lindsay's red dress, and having Steve Holt end up wearing it which makes it smell like Lindsay turning off Maybe. I think the person that really shined here was definitely Tobias, everything he did in this episode was absolutely hysterical, from Tobias chewing on his pen to him falling out of the director's chair. Great episode overall that made all the characters shine in one way. Amazing episode overall.
  • Class

Michael is making Cornballs for breakfast - a Bluth family tradition since George Sr. tried to market a device called the Cornballer in the mid-1970s - in preparation for him and his son George Michael's Sunday bike ride. However, George Michael isn't sure he wants to continue the tradition anymore. G.O.B. comes in and announces he's had another fight with his current girlfriend, Marta, and asks if he can stay with Michael for a while. Michael declines, which Lindsay tells G.O.B. is because Michael feels bad because his son feels suffocated by him. When Tobias finds out that his daughter Maeby is auditioning for the school play, he assumes it is to get closer to him
  • Another great installment.

This is another great episode that really introduces us to Buster (what a name). This episode was great and I'm really hooked on the show know. I'm even thinking about buying it on DVD. All in all this episdoe is laugh out loud and it shoudn't be any other way.
  • Funniest episode so far

Buster’s character is explored more in this episode than in any before and most after in a hilarious instalment of Arrested Development, which has a very cornball ending.

George Michael trying to kiss Maeby in the play was hilariously plotted, especially when Tobias became director and changed multiple things including turning Steve Holt’s character into a woman and Maeby’s character into a man.

George Sr explaining that Buster was in the womb eleven months, apparently clawing to stay in was a very funny moment in the episode, perhaps my favourite, though the other Buster moments were priceless and really make this one of the funniest episodes ever.
  • Who are some of the Bluths?

Today I watched episode three of Arrested Development. It's a fourth time. The first season came out three years ago but I have not repeatedly watched every DVD episode several times... I'm re-experiencing the first batch of episodes as classics.

That's what these stories are... instant comedy classics. It's more of a scripted documentary/reality genre.

Documentaries mostly follow narrators.

Anyhoo, where does Job live? with a Mexican Sugar-Mama... well, she's kicked him out. He moves in with Lucille and Buster is forced upon Michael for the day by his mother.

I really love the music that is composed for the show and the comedic performance of Ron as the straight-laced narrator.

Funny show guys...
  • Another Superb Installment.

I was in hysterics after Busters massive outburst. He tried to fit in by telling his siblings about what he thinks of his mum and the stunned silence at the end of it simply said it all!

I don't have a favourite character in this show because it changes from episode to episode, but in this one Buster and Tobias provided the most memorable moments! Tobias's creativity when directing the high school play is really quite disturbing.

But I absolutely loved his passion for directing.

From the point when he stated his reasons for being the better man than a P.E. teacher for the job, to him crying in the shower after getting a bad review.

Fantastic Stuff!!!
  • Fantastic Episode! We get to see a lot of Buster, who was inconspicuously absent from Top Banana, the previous episode. Also the first appearance of STEVE HOLT! (pumps fists in air)

Fantastic Episode! We get to see a lot of Buster, who was inconspicuously absent from Top Banana, the previous episode. Also the first appearance of STEVE HOLT! (pumps fists in air) The first hundred or so times I watched this episode, it ALWAYS took me by surprise when, at the end, they reveal the entire board watching Michael and Buster! Hilarious! Also a great Tobias episode, in which he directs the High School play Maeby and George-Michael are in, and screws it up...big time. This is a wonderful show, and this is another fine example of its greatness. 'Nuff said.