I was a bit disappointed by season four. AD was a great show through the first three seasons, but four rang hollow for me.

It is my belief that Netflix's "all at once" distribution model effectively killed off AD. Here's my theory: After years of clamoring for more, the fans were given a massive dose of mediocre episodes that make the dullest moments in season three seem brilliant by comparison.

It's like rediscovering some treat from your childhood. You remember how wonderful it was back in the day, so you binge on it. But something about the recipe has changed -- corn syrup in place of real sugar, no more trans fat, etc. -- and it just doesn't taste the same. After working through an entire box of Mike and Ike's (or whatever) you're done. Your appetite has been ruined.

Had the episodes been parceled out, I don't think the bellyache would have been so bad.

What do you think?

Comments (2)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I dunno. I binged all the previous seasons of AD and loved it. In fact, I think it helped to be able to watch 2 or 3 at a time if you wanted because there was so much cross-referencing and foreshadowing and backflashing among the episodes. Season 4 had a different feel to it. It made me laugh, but it also made me feel bad for laughing. It was almost like having a friend show you a viral youtube clip of an old lady falling down the stairs and then watching them crack up about it - you laugh because you perceive this is supposed to be funny, but the actual content is pretty tragic. If the material isn't as good, there's no roll-out format that can save it from comparison.
Flag
Staff
I agree! Although their other originals had the same model, yeah? I think Orange is the New Black may have aired all at once, too? Could it be that AD is a special type of show (or has a special type of fan who WOULD binge all at once)? Did anyone do it with the other Netflix originals, as well?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members