Best Running Joke

Which is the funniest running joke?

kevinrmac

[41]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    PampongMaster wrote:
    How about GOBs chipped tooth. Always fun.
    Got to agree, everything the guy does is funny. Can't think of any TV character that has made me laugh more! Shallow people are funny, just ask George Castanza.
    Edited on 07/20/2008 5:18pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarkKellerman

[42]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 4

Takao_M wrote:
    I'm actually surprised at how hard it is to decide on one. . . thats on the list. Outside of the list, hands down, it is the whole "lessons" with the one armed man, then after that anything that has to do with Franklin. If I had to choose on the list, I gotta go with the chicken dance. I liked them even more after Micheal asked if anyone of them had actually scene a chicken.

Agreed--everything with Franklin rocks! Investng in the Franklin CD's as a launching point in introducing Franklin (and Franklin Comes Alive!) was brilliant.

kevinrmac

[43]Jul 24, 2008

I haven't seen anyone mention "He/she/you certainly has a type."

Buster: "I could get a turtle. I love their leathery, little snappy faces!"

Michael: "You certainly have a type."

jimbo_001

[44]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 56
    I don't know if it counts as a running joke, but all the references to South America are hilarious.

"Portugal? Heading down ol' South America way, huh Michael?"

"I was halfway to South America but then I turned the boat around to confront you"

Then of course when the family actually goes to Mexico, and the cornballer being sold in Mexico, and so on.

lyghthouse

[45]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    I also like Michael's "that's enough"... I can think, off hand of two examples, but I'm sure there are others

Marta: Gob he is like the cock of the walk, but you, you are sensitive

Michael: Thank you

Marta: like a woman

Michael: That's enough

-----------------

George Michael: I mean, if you want to date another woman that's fine with me.

Michael: Thank you

George Michael: I mean, only having sex with 4 women, that's pretty sad. I mean, I know you and mom met in college but that was your sophomore year...

Michael: That's enough

(the quotes aren't exact)

sienster

[46]Jul 28, 2008
    What does Marta's first line mean? I don't remember her saying cock Although, I do have to admit that she is a little difficult to understand sometimes (the second Marta).

Yeah - I like the "That's enough" lines too! Just about every line is memorable and quotable in this show! I've said this before, but if you take all of our favorite lines and quotes, you'd probably have about half of the dialogue in the show!

PampongMaster

[47]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 11

I think the music on this show deserves more than a little thanks. So many laughs are generated because of the mock-music...like the mock-mystery, or mock-serious (when GOB takes the forget-me-now after helping his son, STEVE HOLT!), or maybe the "hey what you trying to say to me?" music when George-Michael is at his most awkward (see the Pilot and Meet the Veals).

Anyway, I think the music is one of the best running jokes. I'm humming a few tunes right now, but I can't exactly put that down.

kevinrmac

[48]Jul 28, 2008

I strongly agree with the last post! Without a live audience or laugh track, the music is even more important - and AD always did a great job with the music, both original and recorded. It establishes a mood or theme - like when Michael falls for Marta.

Another running joke that I like is the "Michael is a robot". Very funny - especially when delivered by GOB!

Edited on 07/28/2008 5:58pm

lyghthouse

[49]Jul 29, 2008
    sienster wrote:
    What does Marta's first line mean? I don't remember her saying cock Although, I do have to admit that she is a little difficult to understand sometimes (the second Marta).

Cock of the walk is an expression for a guy who walks around like he's "all that". :-)

sienster wrote:
    Yeah - I like the "That's enough" lines too! Just about every line is memorable and quotable in this show! I've said this before, but if you take all of our favorite lines and quotes, you'd probably have about half of the dialogue in the show!

Agreed.

Ensanguine

[50]Jul 31, 2008
    kevinrmac wrote:

I strongly agree with the last post! Without a live audience or laugh track, the music is even more important - and AD always did a great job with the music, both original and recorded. It establishes a mood or theme - like when Michael falls for Marta.

Another running joke that I like is the "Michael is a robot". Very funny - especially when delivered by GOB!

The payoff for the whole robot gag was the best part of it. When he finally does cry, and every member of the family looks super uncomfortable. Puts a smile on my face thinking about it.

kevinrmac

[51]Jul 31, 2008
    Ensanguine wrote:

The payoff for the whole robot gag was the best part of it. When he finally does cry, and every member of the family looks super uncomfortable. Puts a smile on my face thinking about it.

Good point. The first time I watched Development Arrested, I wandered why they were all reacting like that to Michael getting choked up. Ahhh, they were comfortable with him acting like a robot. The writers never missed a chance weave-in old story lines.

sienster

[52]Aug 1, 2008
    Yeah - I bet those tears were real - cuz he was so sad the show was coming to an end

PampongMaster

[53]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 11

kevinrmac wrote:
    Ensanguine wrote:
    Good point. The first time I watched Development Arrested, I wandered why they were all reacting like that to Michael getting choked up. Ahhh, they were comfortable with him acting like a robot. The writers never missed a chance weave-in old story lines.

You mean with him not acting like a robot. He never cried before (he was a robot) but when he did cry, everyone did not find it all that appealing. I liked...I think it was GOB, when he mentioned Michael's wife coming back (in that he acted like a girl for crying).

Oooooooook, I'm done.

kevinrmac

[54]Aug 1, 2008
    PampongMaster wrote:

You mean with him not acting like a robot. He never cried before (he was a robot) but when he did cry, everyone did not find it all that appealing. I liked...I think it was GOB, when he mentioned Michael's wife coming back (in that he acted like a girl for crying).

Oooooooook, I'm done.

Buster: "Ha ha, F'n baby." Gob: "Looks like George Michael got his mom back today, huh?" Good one! Michael can't win.
    Edited on 08/01/2008 5:57pm

MarkKellerman

[55]Aug 2, 2008
    I love the tunes as well, it adds a TON to so many defining moments. My favorite is "Free-hee, free at last (free at last!)" It always rocks. I want to hear the whole version of "It Ain't Easy" as performed by GOB and Frankiln Delano Bluth--it's not a part of the dvd 'extras'. Drats!
    Edited on 08/02/2008 5:09pm

kevinrmac

[56]Aug 4, 2008
    MarkKellerman wrote:
    I want to hear the whole version of "It Ain't Easy" as performed by GOB and Frankiln Delano Bluth--it's not a part of the dvd 'extras'. Drats!

Yes.... and Love Is In The Air & Everything I Do, I Do It For You

I'm still trying to figure out the name of the song on Spring Break!

MarkKellerman

[57]Aug 15, 2008
    MarkKellerman wrote:

Takao_M wrote:
    I'm actually surprised at how hard it is to decide on one. . . thats on the list. Outside of the list, hands down, it is the whole "lessons" with the one armed man, then after that anything that has to do with Franklin. If I had to choose on the list, I gotta go with the chicken dance. I liked them even more after Micheal asked if anyone of them had actually scene a chicken.

Agreed--everything with Franklin rocks! Investng in the Franklin CD's as a launching point in introducing Franklin (and Franklin Comes Alive!) was brilliant.

Questions for the group, preceeded by a brief preface:

I should know this, but I don't--it's one of those "Did I see that on 'AD', or did I dream it as I slept one night?" kind of things. And if I did indeed dream it, does it mean I'm watching too much 'Arrested', or am I in need of more 'Arrested'? (this has a Mr. Banana-grabber type of vibe going on with so many tough questions being posed all at once)

Was there ever a play on word joke (such as 'Franklin Comes Alive') gag about a "Franklin Mint" (to perhaps counteract the ether on Franklins lips, causing halitosis)on 'Arrested'?

lyghthouse

[58]Aug 17, 2008
    (laughing)

As to your question, Mark, I have no idea... but I do love the whole preface to it.

In my opinion, if you can't distinguish your dreams from an Arrested Development episode, you're in a very good place. :-)

MarkKellerman

[59]Aug 19, 2008
    I was watching 'Immaculate Election' and noticed something I don't think I noticed before...

As GOB spoke (in 'club-sauce' voice) during GMB's 'Steve Holt Is a bastard..." campaign tape, he showed pictures of Steve Holt and the 'axis of evil' that he represents, which included the KKK, the sign of the devil, Hitler and, naturally...Mr. Banana Grabber!

How I missed that part before or forgot I'd seen it I'll never know, but what a great gag in a great episode!

kevinrmac

[60]Aug 20, 2008
    Mark, I never caught that one either. How could I miss Mr Banana Grabber in the montage? I need to re-watch that episode. Another running joke... Barry's various skin ailments. "I wouldn't get too close...... I think something laid eggs on me." After he kisses Michael on the cheek. Or the cut-aways to the highway rest stop. "Where'd I get these bruises?"
    Edited on 08/21/2008 10:32pm