Arrested Development Forums

Netflix (ended 2013)

Cancelled

I_Smell_Fishy

[1]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 6
    If Bob and Tom can be believed, as of 9:45 AM eastern, AD is cancelled from FOX.

Let the speculation begin..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

morninglight

[2]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 11
    AD is not cancelled yet. just the episode order has been cut back, yet again. though its looking like it just might get cancelled. its a really good show though.

cleanhex

[3]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 3
    things are looking grim....it would have been nice to get a full season made before the inevitable cancellation but apparently that is not to be. this show will be missed. i guess not by that many people but i will certainly miss it. you think there is any way fox will let them finish up the whole season??? 13 episodes seems awfully paltry. and they must release the third season on dvds right? even it only ends up being 13 episodes.

I_Smell_Fishy

[4]Nov 11, 2005
    morninglight wrote:
    AD is not cancelled yet. just the episode order has been cut back, yet again. though its looking like it just might get cancelled. its a really good show though.

Well, the reason I started the thread and called it cancelled is because the official report was cancellation, not reduction.

I read the variety article that talked about the episode order being reduced, but the way it was read on the radio did not say anything about the number of episodes. It only said the show had been officially cancelled by FOX.

From Reuters "

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The Camdens will bid farewell to viewers in May when the WB Network's top-rated family drama "7th Heaven" ends its run after 10 seasons in what sources said was largely a cost-cutting move.

The Bluth clan of Fox's ratings-challenged "Arrested Development" is also headed for the exit after Fox cut the third-season order on the Emmy-winning comedy to 13 episodes."

jdbausch

[5]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 2
    from a friend who works for an affiliate:

"I just got the scoop from our Research Director….Fox is canceling Arrested Development. They will air whatever episodes they have left, but they won’t be producing any more new ones."

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[6]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 10
    WTF? They should've at least finished season three. Now they're gonna have a lot of pissed off people.

jdbausch

[7]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 2
    Xx_King_Beef_xX wrote:
    WTF? They should've at least finished season three. Now they're gonna have a lot of pissed off people.

I guess not enough...

actorboy89119

[8]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 9
    I want to apologize for the cancellation of the show. It is my fault because every program I have ever watched on Fox gets cancelled. Greg the Bunny, John Doe, Firefly, Wonderfalls, Tru Calling, Point Pleasent, The Jury, The Inside, and Now Arrested Development and the freshman comedy Kitchen Confidential. I was hoping this would change when Gail Berman resigned but no such luck. It seems to me that comedys no longer have a place in television. We are plauged to live in a world with nothing but reality shows and dramas. While many dramas are excellent, Lost, Desperate Housewives and MEdium, Many stations seem to have copied hit shows on other networks. Suchas CBS's Ghost Whisperes and the short lived Dr. Vegas. Reality shows are another plauge. While some are excellent contests such as Survivor or the Amazing Race, others seem to just screw with people for pure amusement such as Trading Spouses and others. The Swan is the worst of them all. It sewnds a message to all girls that you need to look like a supermodel to be happy. If you aren't a perfect "10" you will be miserable. Well I apologize for ranting like Michael Savage but i needed to say this

YLTripz

[9]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 4
    worst. news. EVER!

npmadman88

[10]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 7
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]

npmadman88

[11]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 7
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]

soggydroors

[12]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 5
    kill whitey

HunkyMandrake

[13]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 19
    actorboy89119 wrote:
    I want to apologize for the cancellation of the show. It is my fault because every program I have ever watched on Fox gets cancelled. Greg the Bunny, John Doe, Firefly, Wonderfalls, Tru Calling, Point Pleasent, The Jury, The Inside, and Now Arrested Development and the freshman comedy Kitchen Confidential. I was hoping this would change when Gail Berman resigned but no such luck. It seems to me that comedys no longer have a place in television. We are plauged to live in a world with nothing but reality shows and dramas. While many dramas are excellent, Lost, Desperate Housewives and MEdium, Many stations seem to have copied hit shows on other networks. Suchas CBS's Ghost Whisperes and the short lived Dr. Vegas. Reality shows are another plauge. While some are excellent contests such as Survivor or the Amazing Race, others seem to just screw with people for pure amusement such as Trading Spouses and others. The Swan is the worst of them all. It sewnds a message to all girls that you need to look like a supermodel to be happy. If you aren't a perfect "10" you will be miserable. Well I apologize for ranting like Michael Savage but i needed to say this

It's not your fault and that rant is perfectly acceptable. Being a UK viewer, it sucks that the show is on so late here but this is just another reason to hate FOX. First Tru Calling, now AD. It's an outrage

mcj31

[14]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 13
    I hope FOX doesn't pick it up for a fourth season. Then maybe a new channel can pick it up. Does anyone else think it would be great to have it on NBC with Scrubs. Will and Grace is over this year so next year they will need another comedy.

And maybe a new channel will acctually give the show a chance instead on constant shuffling and no repeats.

morninglight

[15]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 11
    oh my god i cant believe it. its ending! its really ending! i feel so shocked! i mean i knew this might happen but i thought somewhere in me they would renew it. i'm so sad now.

ahtvw513

[16]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 12
    jdbausch wrote:
    from a friend who works for an affiliate:

"I just got the scoop from our Research Director….Fox is canceling Arrested Development. They will air whatever episodes they have left, but they won’t be producing any more new ones."

Actually, according to E!online Jason Bateman said that they are producing 5 more episodes and will wrap up some story lines. There's a little more information on the Watch with Kristen message boards.

This is a sad day.

SWERJ321

[17]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 19
    Let's give Fox credit. They stuck by the show a hell of a lot longer than most people expected. Two and a half seasons for a show with such low ratings is pretty good for Fox.

And it's not their fault that this is the ONE show they have that viewers didn't listen to critics on. It's not their fault people prefer CBS' stuff to such utter brilliance. They won an Emmy for God's sake, how much more credit could they get? I do think Fox could have waited and paired it up for American Idol to get more ratings like House did last year.

I remember a comment made a while back that you could build an entire new network off all the good shows Fox has canceled early. Sad that this has to join them.

pursuedbybear

[18]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 28
    Though hardly unexpected, the news is hard to take. The smartest and funniest comedy on television is walking its last mile.

Thanks for everything, Bluths.

Thanks for nothing, Fox.

And let's sadly observe as another nail is banged into the coffin lid of quality televsion.

james2375

[19]Nov 11, 2005
    Why can't fox axe the horrible war at home and just move Arrested Development back to sundays. The problem with fox is they have an inability to market their golden shows just like with Firefly and what happened to Family Guy at one point. Well at least I can still watch excellent programing like Trading Spouses and what ever other reality crap is on.

WiseAshton

[20]Nov 11, 2005
    • level: 17
    There's always the long shot that another network might pick it up. The show's won enough critical acclaim that this seems more likely than for most series but still this is a very long shot. I guess we have to say goodbye to the Bluths. At least we got two and a half seasons of enjoyment instead of just thirteen episodes like FOX usually does.