Cancelled

overlordr1

[61]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 5
    I keep railing at Stacked and The War At Home on their respective pages, and now my posts are being deleted almost instantly (at least on the TWAH page). Are the board moderators just regular users or what? Can someone clue me in, because if such positions are going to be filled only with sycophants and show partisans then I think I will have a problem continuing on this site. It is because crap shows like these are on that their seems to be no room for Arrested Development, so I feel we should be able to send some ire their way as well; not just FOX is to blame.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HUGGIESJOB

[62]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 7
    travisty you give yourself up to these charecters for 2 and half years then some corparate money men take them away i know this sound over the top but i truely believe this was the best show ever made and a real shame :-(

but we are the best fans and can try to keep it going but we will always can wear our dvds out

eatcacti

[63]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 16
    overlordr1 wrote:
    I keep railing at Stacked and The War At Home on their respective pages, and now my posts are being deleted almost instantly (at least on the TWAH page). Are the board moderators just regular users or what? Can someone clue me in, because if such positions are going to be filled only with sycophants and show partisans then I think I will have a problem continuing on this site. It is because crap shows like these are on that their seems to be no room for Arrested Development, so I feel we should be able to send some ire their way as well; not just FOX is to blame.

Just because those shows suck doesn't mean you should go over to their boards and troll. Obviously your posts are going to be deleted. Have you even read the TOS?

alsaker85

[64]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 11
    It seems odd that a show is getting cancelled in the middle of its third season. This doesn't happen very often does it?

On a side note, did Fox ever intend for this show to last all season, since there was no space on the spring schedule. And even though Head Cases is gone, and KC and AD are getting axed, there still isn't room for their one new hit, Prison Break. Fox, your tight schedule sucks: quite expecting things to fail!

overlordr1

[65]Nov 14, 2005
    eatcacti wrote:
    overlordr1 wrote:

Just because those shows suck doesn't mean you should go over to their boards and troll. Obviously your posts are going to be deleted. Have you even read the TOS?

Obviously I haven't. This IS supposed to be a casual website; in other words no money is involved, no financial transactions, so I didn't really feel the need to read. But I said much worse things (things I thought about not posting) over on the Stacked page and no one has deleted them yet. I thought this whole internet thing was supposed to foster a free exchange of information and ideas. It was created by the defense department in 1969, which suits because so many people are defensive about crappy shows that they love in this little corner of the place.

There are shows I admit to loving that most people hated, and if they wanted to say "phooey" and call me an idiot for liking the show it wouldn't matter to me if they did so. But if you are going to have some lowbrow misfit watching over a forum like a hawk, ready to censor anyone who criticizes the way in which they while away their boring lives then what is the point of the whole site, if it doesn't welcome all viewpoints?

JimmyStewart

[66]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 6
    overlordr1 wrote:
    There are shows I admit to loving that most people hated, and if they wanted to say "phooey" and call me an idiot for liking the show it wouldn't matter to me if they did so. But if you are going to have some lowbrow misfit watching over a forum like a hawk, ready to censor anyone who criticizes the way in which they while away their boring lives then what is the point of the whole site, if it doesn't welcome all viewpoints?

According to your first post you were continually making posts bashing a show at other shows forums. That is not acceptable behavior. This isn't because alternate viewpoints aren't welcome, but simply to try and increase the friendliness of the forum experience for everyone. The forums are intended for intelligent discussion of shows, especially among fans of the show. Intolerant behavior and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. This doesn't mean you can't post an alternate view or opinion, only that if you do so it must be educated and reasonably thought out. Simply posting "phooey" does nothing to encourage discussion and is rather out of place on a forum intended for "fans" of a show.

If you feel your opinion on what shows you dislike is that important you'd probably be better off trying to post your thoughts in the general TV forum. Though from your posts here I think your attitude might be the problem. This is supposed to be a "fan friendly" place. If you're looking to agitate, irritate and start fights (trolling) then this isn't the forum for you. And I think I might point out that while you think it's your duty to tell people that they are "whiling away their boring lives" this is deemed to be offensive behavior. It isn't your business or your responsibility, only an intolerant viewpoint and trying to force your intolerant opinion on people's private lives is definitely NOT what these TV forums are intended for. To stress the point even further, before you suggest other people are "whiling away their boring lives" I'd suggest you take a good strong look at your actions. Keep in mind, these people have come together to discuss something that the enjoy. You're the one going out of your way to post your comments about a show you don't like. If anyone needs to find a more productive use for their time it isn't them. If you'd like people to listen to your opinion on ways to improve their "boring lives" perhaps you should first improve upon your own.

Drakken_Shego

[67]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 15
    I am so f'n' furious! I love this show to death! It's my fav show and I can't believe 4 million viewers isn't enough to keep a show going! That's a lot of people! Me and my sisters were talking about this and we think one of the main reasons why this show doesn't have a lot of viewers is because it doesn't have stupid people having sex almost every episode! Well that's one of the reasons why I love this show! It focuses on the humor and the characters rather than raunchy crap! And I really can't believe Lost is still raking in high ratings! This whole hiding the monster and what's really going on on the island has lost it's interesting touch and has now become boring! And no matter what that monster is it's not going to awesome to anyone because they have hidden it too long that everyone has too high expectations! Anyways, I will do anything to help keep this show on the air because it is the only GOOD show on! And it's the funniest show I have ever watched that wasn't a cartoon!

Mr_Scott_A

[68]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 3
    I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Arrested Development is by far one of my favorite shows, but the plots and humor are too "out there" for the mainstream.

Like others have mentioned in this thread, I really hope it gets picked up on cable, possibly HBO.

overlordr1

[69]Nov 15, 2005
    JimmyStewart wrote:
    overlordr1 wrote:

According to your first post you were continually making posts bashing a show at other shows forums. That is not acceptable behavior. This isn't because alternate viewpoints aren't welcome, but simply to try and increase the friendliness of the forum experience for everyone. The forums are intended for intelligent discussion of shows, especially among fans of the show. Intolerant behavior and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. This doesn't mean you can't post an alternate view or opinion, only that if you do so it must be educated and reasonably thought out. Simply posting "phooey" does nothing to encourage discussion and is rather out of place on a forum intended for "fans" of a show.

If you feel your opinion on what shows you dislike is that important you'd probably be better off trying to post your thoughts in the general TV forum. Though from your posts here I think your attitude might be the problem. This is supposed to be a "fan friendly" place. If you're looking to agitate, irritate and start fights (trolling) then this isn't the forum for you. And I think I might point out that while you think it's your duty to tell people that they are "whiling away their boring lives" this is deemed to be offensive behavior. It isn't your business or your responsibility, only an intolerant viewpoint and trying to force your intolerant opinion on people's private lives is definitely NOT what these TV forums are intended for. To stress the point even further, before you suggest other people are "whiling away their boring lives" I'd suggest you take a good strong look at your actions. Keep in mind, these people have come together to discuss something that the enjoy. You're the one going out of your way to post your comments about a show you don't like. If anyone needs to find a more productive use for their time it isn't them. If you'd like people to listen to your opinion on ways to improve their "boring lives" perhaps you should first improve upon your own.

I've made a reasoned argument, only to see it deleted from the TWAH page. I compared it to an older FOX show, Titus, saying it was an inferior copy of a mediocre show.

As I've said before, I type rapidly and think in the same fashion, so this takes no time from my life. And I would never use an argument as simplified as "phooey", I was merely using it as a general statement covering all arguments, arguments that I also stressed could be made at any shows I like. And I would not censor such arguments, as has happened with mine.

As for how "offensive" my comments have been, you need to keep in mind that this site is filled with truly offensive comments that never seem to be deleted: Racist, prejudiced and ignorant. Often just plain crazy or having nothing to do with the topic at hand or any discussion that has risen from it. People criticize shows they've never even watched for a moment. So your assertion that this is some friendly little sewing circle is either pollyannaish or ostrich logic. It perhaps is intended to be a "fan friendly" place, but it certainly is not, and it wasn't long before I ever even thought of logging on. My "trolling" as you call it is intended as a rallying cry for supporters of a show: I am a student of politics and human behavior, and I am legitimately interested in knowing who likes such shows and why. I hope to elicit a point by point defense of these programs, a more noble goal than providing a place for people to get away with arguments as weak as "this show is great". Arguments that weak do not pass life's muster, so why should they be so acceptable on a place like this?

OJParker

[70]Nov 15, 2005
    finally! well after 3 days FOX gave in 2 me and my ho's 43789234785373579237895947943455237
    to the power of pi
    angry letters and hunger strike

BigYellowJoint

[71]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 8
    My brother read this article that AD is not actually cancelled yet. He said that the article said that if FOX doesnt have enough shows to fill up the time slots next season, then they will get AD and start making new episodes again. I hope with all might that this is true, but can someone please confirm it?

mikecanada

[72]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 13
    Yes the show is not officially cancelled
    But its very unlikely that Fox will bring it back

p3psii

[73]Nov 16, 2005
    • level: 3
    mikecanada wrote:
    Yes the show is not officially cancelled
    But its very unlikely that Fox will bring it back

They might if a miracle happens and those special viewers w/ the neislon box tune in for the last 5 episodes. But that would have to be at least 8 million per episode.
    Which might happen if Monday Night Football is canceled due to a player strike, or a very boring news update breaks into coverage on all the other networks besides Fox for five consecutive mondays in a row, or the FCC shuts down CBS for not properly filling out thier broadcast license, or UPN and WB's satelite falls out of orbit, or if God smites NBC.

Other than that, I'd figure AD might stay at around 4 to 5 million tops. Very last episode maybe 7 million because people secertly like seeing things die.

SIDE NOTE:
    Holy crap, Season 1 and two DVD are about 20 bucks each, and they are outselling Madacascar and SW III on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/dvd/all/ref=imdbdppd_sr_0/104-7901481-6440739
    Link current as of Nov 16, 2005.
    Could this be the miracle? Nah.

eatcacti

[74]Nov 16, 2005
    • level: 16
    p3psii wrote:

Holy crap, Season 1 and two DVD are about 20 bucks each, and they are outselling Madacascar and SW III on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/dvd/all/ref=imdbdppd_sr_0/104-7901481-6440739
    Link current as of Nov 16, 2005.
    Could this be the miracle? Nah.

You can buy them both together for only $32.00, with free shipping. That's cheaper than Best Buy's $15 each sale on Black Friday, and no sales tax!

alsaker85

[75]Nov 16, 2005
    Wow, that's amazingly cheap. I just bought AD Season 1 from Amazon a month ago, and it cost about the same as they are selling both the shows together right now.

the_311_saint

[76]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 10
    FOX = Evil. Anytime there's a smart, intelligent, comedy on TV, it is bound to be cancelled. See also: Sports Night.

FinnMacCool555

[77]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 17
    In all fairness to FOX, Arrested Development has a very expensive cast and has always had pretty mediocre ratings. This isn't like what they did with Wonderfalls, Firefly, or even John Doe. Those three shows were cancelled after their first four, eleven, and twenty-two episodes (respectively) before they were cancelled adruptly. With Arrested Development, however, FOX stuck with it into its third season despite its razor thin profit margin, and is giving the crew a chance to tie up dangling plot threads and give the show an ending that feels like an ending, unlike those in the past which simply had to stop when the cancellation order came in. I am by no means happy about this news (I love Arrested Development as much as anyone) but it was a business failure even before the move to Monday night, and FOX could no longer justify filling up a timeslot with such a poorly rated show.

I_Smell_Fishy

[78]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 6
    FinnMacCool555 wrote:
    In all fairness to FOX, Arrested Development has a very expensive cast and has always had pretty mediocre ratings. This isn't like what they did with Wonderfalls, Firefly, or even John Doe. Those three shows were cancelled after their first four, eleven, and twenty-two episodes (respectively) before they were cancelled adruptly. With Arrested Development, however, FOX stuck with it into its third season despite its razor thin profit margin, and is giving the crew a chance to tie up dangling plot threads and give the show an ending that feels like an ending, unlike those in the past which simply had to stop when the cancellation order came in. I am by no means happy about this news (I love Arrested Development as much as anyone) but it was a business failure even before the move to Monday night, and FOX could no longer justify filling up a timeslot with such a poorly rated show.

Could you please cite numbers and examples of this "razor thin profit"?
    If I were to guess, I would guess that is a completely irrelavent point.
    It's nielsen numbers, advertising dollars, and buzz.

FinnMacCool555

[79]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 17
    No, I do not have exact numbers, but, like you said, it's all about ratings and advertisements. The lower the ratings the less advertisers are willing to pay for air time during the show, so FOX gets less money. Add in a cast that, from all I've heard, have high salaries, and you've got a show that's only making a little more money than it takes to produce; that is the definition of a razor thin profit margin.

Stephen379

[80]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 7
    This is an amazing show and I blame Fox for not marketing the show right, a show like MNIE gets marketed like crazy and even on my way to school I see about 4 bus stops with a poster of it. If Fox did half of what NBC did for MNIE,AD would be one of highest rated comedies on TV because the quality of the show is much better than MNIE. I just hope another network picks it up I would hate to see a show this great end after 3 seasons.