Arrested Development Forums

Netflix (ended 2013)

Cancelled

ray53208

[121]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 8
    i dont want AD to be cancelled. let me just say that in the scramble of some 300-odd cable channels that if you dont try and let the people know when a good show is on they will miss it. just like i did.

i dont follow entertainment magazines and shows because i cant stand celebrities, but i love being entertained. ironic huh? i have a limited window, even with dvr, of things i can watch or have time for.

i came to AD late and thought it had been cancelled after season one (which i own) like so many other excellent fox shows (firefly, brimstone). i was in a tailspin once i heard that there was more and scambled to get the dvds. im finally caught up after missing what was an amazing second season. the third season being the last one kind of hurts because i need a little AD in my week just to make it tolerable. seriously.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

I_Smell_Fishy

[122]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 6
    overlordr1 wrote:
    I_Smell_Fishy wrote:
    I'll never forget during the years Married with Children was on. They never found a program to put on afterwards that could pull in any ratings. At the end they just ran hour blocks.

I am probably the only one who remembers the worst show they tried to marry with Married, from around 1991: This awful piece of crap spinoff of the show called Top of the Heap. It took this minor recurring character, "Boochie" I think he was called, and his father, and put them in a situation of trying to socialize with rich elites in a hotel they worked at (managed by Rita Moreno, who should have known better than to be on this show), instead of actually working. I was not sure I would see a FOX show this bad ever again--and then came Stacked.

Anyway, what was with FOX referring to the second episode of AD that aired Monday as a "classic" episode? They have treated an arguably classic show in a classless way. FOX execs would use an unearthed, unpublished Shakespeare play as toilet paper.

I looked up the show I mentioned and it was a Married spinoff. The main character was played by Matt Le Blanc(! ). Oh well, bad then, tolerable by some for a few years as the weakest Friend, and bad again.

As a loyal MWC viewer, I remember Top of the Heap. Blech. Yep, Matt LeBlanc's first claim to fame. They did the usual tie in by taking an episode of MWC and using it as the pilot. Matt LeBlancs character was introduced on MWC, and cemented him as the slow dullard type. His uncle or father was always scheming for ways to get them into the money quickly.
    yeah... pretty bad stuff...

I_Smell_Fishy

[123]Dec 14, 2005
    ymike673 wrote:
    overlordr1 wrote:
    I_Smell_Fishy wrote:
    I'll never forget during the years Married with Children was on. They never found a program to put on afterwards that could pull in any ratings. At the end they just ran hour blocks.

I am probably the only one who remembers the worst show they tried to marry with Married, from around 1991: This awful piece of crap spinoff of the show called Top of the Heap. It took this minor recurring character, "Boochie" I think he was called, and his father, and put them in a situation of trying to socialize with rich elites in a hotel they worked at (managed by Rita Moreno, who should have known better than to be on this show), instead of actually working. I was not sure I would see a FOX show this bad ever again--and then came Stacked.

Anyway, what was with FOX referring to the second episode of AD that aired Monday as a "classic" episode? They have treated an arguably classic show in a classless way. FOX execs would use an unearthed, unpublished Shakespeare play as toilet paper.

I looked up the show I mentioned and it was a Married spinoff. The main character was played by Matt Le Blanc(! ). Oh well, bad then, tolerable by some for a few years as the weakest Friend, and bad again.

Amazingly Matt's character in this show was a lot like his character of Joey on "Friends" and "Joey". But this show was awful. But I still thought the worst Fox sit-com ever was the one about the 5 people who survived a nuclear holocaust!. By the way I think this show was also on after "Married...With Children."

This topic is almost good enough for it's own thread!
    I think the show you are thinking of is Woops! I never watched that. I lived in FLA, and the show didn't air until the wee hours or so.
    Now, the Edge was GREAT! It had Jennifer Aniston, Tom Kenny, Wayne Knight and others before they hit it big..

ymike673

[124]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 11
    I_Smell_Fishy wrote:
    ymike673 wrote:
    overlordr1 wrote:
    I_Smell_Fishy wrote:

Amazingly Matt's character in this show was a lot like his character of Joey on "Friends" and "Joey". But this show was awful. But I still thought the worst Fox sit-com ever was the one about the 5 people who survived a nuclear holocaust!. By the way I think this show was also on after "Married...With Children."

This topic is almost good enough for it's own thread!
    I think the show you are thinking of is Woops! I never watched that. I lived in FLA, and the show didn't air until the wee hours or so.
    Now, the Edge was GREAT! It had Jennifer Aniston, Tom Kenny, Wayne Knight and others before they hit it big..

Yes Woops! was the show and I wish I had taped some of the episodes (I think it ran about 5 shows) It was awful and even had "Giant" spiders to menace the survivors. It had to be seen to believed. But this was when Fox was not as concerned about ratings as they are now. They knew that with less stations then ABC,NBC or CBS they really could not expect the same ratings. Unfortunatly this view is not followed today.

jkfan05

[125]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 1
    It is not Fox's fault for not wanting to lose money. I read an article saying it loses $400,000 PER EPISODE. Absolutely NO netowkr is going to do that. Give Fox credit for sticking with the show as long as it did.

Where is the last time CBS or ABC gave you even one episode of a show as good as Arrested Development?

As far as advertising goes, that is also a false excuse. Fox had way too MUCH advertising for the show before it debuted in 2003. Every half inning of every baseball playoff game was filled with Arrested Development promos. It didn't help.

The show is simply not a mainstream show and never will be. It isnot Fox's fault, it simply is not the type of show that most people want to watch. People rarely devote 100% of their attention to the TV screen anymore, and you can't enjoy AD if you are watching it while also cooking dinner, or talking on the phone, or surfing the internet. And that is how people watch TV these days.

ray53208

[126]Dec 15, 2005
    jkfan05 wrote:
    As far as advertising goes, that is also a false excuse. Fox had way too MUCH advertising for the show before it debuted in 2003. Every half inning of every baseball playoff game was filled with Arrested Development promos. It didn't help.

i dont watch baseball. i dont know anyone who does anymore. i know people who go the games but no one who watches a game unless its their team in some kind of playoff; and sometimes not even then.

you have a point. i do multitask while the tv is on. but there are some shows that just somehow manage to grab your attention and hold it. AD is one of those shows. baseball is not... for anyone i know that is.

dont want to lose money? fine. then stick to reality tv and watch your network flush itself down the toilet. you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

mikecanada

[127]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 13
    Its not that uncommon for a tv show to stay on the air while losing money
    20th century Fox television was losing money on Buffy during Season 3 through 5
    But they contunued to produce it because they knew that they would eventually make there money back

Wiredruid

[128]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 4
    jkfan05 wrote:
    It is not Fox's fault for not wanting to lose money. I read an article saying it loses $400,000 PER EPISODE. Absolutely NO netowkr is going to do that. Give Fox credit for sticking with the show as long as it did.

Where is the last time CBS or ABC gave you even one episode of a show as good as Arrested Development?

The show is simply not a mainstream show and never will be. It isnot Fox's fault, it simply is not the type of show that most people want to watch. People rarely devote 100% of their attention to the TV screen anymore, and you can't enjoy AD if you are watching it while also cooking dinner, or talking on the phone, or surfing the internet. And that is how people watch TV these days.

I don't know why I should give FOX credit for anything. They were the ones who never gave the show a real time slot for a whole season. And they had on MANY occasions, skip a week or maybe even two, due to Football or Baseball.
    The bad thing is, they don't even inform people when the show is going to be on. The advertising claims you are making is BULLSH!T, I don't remember seeing a SINGLE advertisement when I watch shows on Fox.

Besides, ever since the second season, AD has been recognized as the best comedy show out there. With the Emmy's and Golden Globes and great critics review, they could have sold that so easily to everyone and get more people to try the show.

No one says it FOX's fault that most people don't want to watch AD. It's FOX fault that they weren't able to do anything with a great show...they made Prison Break super popular thanks to their constant ads, and good uses of trailers and replay of episodes. They also aired a special just for people who haven't watched the show and wanted to get into it. Do these things for any show and obviously it'll become a hit if it has good material, and an already strong fan base ready to back it up.

lakesweetjane

[129]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 1
    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH EFFING FOX?!?!?!

How could they cancel Arrested Development, the best comedy on the air right now? I understand that if a show has low ratings then it should be cancelled, but four million viewers is not chump change. But of course the big wigs at FOX won't settle for anything that won't give them Desperate Housewives-like ratings in the first two episodes. This is not the fault of the writers, producers, directors or actors. They have done a fantastic job, winning award after award which is what they are paid to do. It is up to the Marketing Department at FOX to get a marketing degree and learn what it is to seel a product to people. When you have a show that wins Emmys and a Golden Globe in its FIRST season, you get off your butts and promote it, promote it, promote it! Instead FOX spends its time trying to get people interested in American Idol again and ignore the darling of the critics. Oh right, I forgot, FOX is banking on its next edition of "Man vs. Beast" and "Who Wants to Marry a Midget?" to bring in those statuettes.

FOX has not given the show a chance to grab an audience. They barely advertised the return this season of the show and last season they moved the time slot around and never gave it the true spot it would deserve. The 8:30 time slot on Sunday nights is the perfect place for AD, sandwiched between the Simpsons and Family Guy. The viewers who watch The Simpsons tend to watch Family Guy and are likely to remain on FOX for the half an hour between the two shows. Instead of showing AD like they did at the beginning of last year, they put on "The War At Home." Now, don't get me wrong, I find this show entertaining, but the audience that tunes into the Simpsons is not the audience you want for "The War." "The War" is perfect for the men who stopped tuning into FOX after "Married...with Children" went off the air. "The War" could carry its own night during the week, bringing back the male demographic that now tunes into ABC, CBS and NBC for shows like "According to Jim" and "10 Rules" and "The King of Queens." Give AD the 8:30 timeslot and I guarantee that those Simpsons and Family Guy fans who have never watched AD will be tuning in with rabid fascination. The people who enjoy the humor that is the Simpsons and Family Guy will get the humor on AD and will appreciate it and will start a cult-like following for the show.

Alas, I fear that FOX does not see this, instead merely something that takes away from the budget for the next edition of "When Animals Attack..." All I know is that I will be investing in the DVDs so that I won't ever have to go without my favourite Bluths and I hope lots of people will do the same. That way the people that were involved in making this wonderful show will know that someone out there appreciates them. Hell, who knows, maybe if enough people buy the DVDs FOX will eventually realise that they made a mistake in cancelling the show and will bring it back on the air, giving it a second chance at life. Wait, who am I kidding? No one likes to admit they've made a mistake and for a large and powerful television network to admit that they made the mistake of letting a show with dedicated viewers slip through the cracks because they did not know how to market it in the first, that would be quite a big deal. I mean, how many networks do you know that cancelled a show, realised that the DVDs of the show were the highest selling DVD set of all time and then brought the show back on the air?

Wait a minute....I seem to remember something like that...just give me a minute...the network name is right on the tip of my tongue...

OH THAT'S RIGHT, IT WAS FOX!!!!!!!

LESBOGRAM

[130]Dec 18, 2005
    • level: 3
    1) There needs to be a good show in between Simpsons and Family Guy like King of the Hill.
    2) Arrested Development sux ass
    3) They lose so much money on Arrested Development when they could be feeding the hungry or saving up money for paying the fines forLois flash on television.
    lakesweetjane wrote:
    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH EFFING FOX?!?!?!

How could they cancel Arrested Development, the best comedy on the air right now? I understand that if a show has low ratings then it should be cancelled, but four million viewers is not chump change. But of course the big wigs at FOX won't settle for anything that won't give them Desperate Housewives-like ratings in the first two episodes. This is not the fault of the writers, producers, directors or actors. They have done a fantastic job, winning award after award which is what they are paid to do. It is up to the Marketing Department at FOX to get a marketing degree and learn what it is to seel a product to people. When you have a show that wins Emmys and a Golden Globe in its FIRST season, you get off your butts and promote it, promote it, promote it! Instead FOX spends its time trying to get people interested in American Idol again and ignore the darling of the critics. Oh right, I forgot, FOX is banking on its next edition of "Man vs. Beast" and "Who Wants to Marry a Midget?" to bring in those statuettes.

FOX has not given the show a chance to grab an audience. They barely advertised the return this season of the show and last season they moved the time slot around and never gave it the true spot it would deserve. The 8:30 time slot on Sunday nights is the perfect place for AD, sandwiched between the Simpsons and Family Guy. The viewers who watch The Simpsons tend to watch Family Guy and are likely to remain on FOX for the half an hour between the two shows. Instead of showing AD like they did at the beginning of last year, they put on "The War At Home." Now, don't get me wrong, I find this show entertaining, but the audience that tunes into the Simpsons is not the audience you want for "The War." "The War" is perfect for the men who stopped tuning into FOX after "Married...with Children" went off the air. "The War" could carry its own night during the week, bringing back the male demographic that now tunes into ABC, CBS and NBC for shows like "According to Jim" and "10 Rules" and "The King of Queens." Give AD the 8:30 timeslot and I guarantee that those Simpsons and Family Guy fans who have never watched AD will be tuning in with rabid fascination. The people who enjoy the humor that is the Simpsons and Family Guy will get the humor on AD and will appreciate it and will start a cult-like following for the show.

Alas, I fear that FOX does not see this, instead merely something that takes away from the budget for the next edition of "When Animals Attack..." All I know is that I will be investing in the DVDs so that I won't ever have to go without my favourite Bluths and I hope lots of people will do the same. That way the people that were involved in making this wonderful show will know that someone out there appreciates them. Hell, who knows, maybe if enough people buy the DVDs FOX will eventually realise that they made a mistake in cancelling the show and will bring it back on the air, giving it a second chance at life. Wait, who am I kidding? No one likes to admit they've made a mistake and for a large and powerful television network to admit that they made the mistake of letting a show with dedicated viewers slip through the cracks because they did not know how to market it in the first, that would be quite a big deal. I mean, how many networks do you know that cancelled a show, realised that the DVDs of the show were the highest selling DVD set of all time and then brought the show back on the air?

Wait a minute....I seem to remember something like that...just give me a minute...the network name is right on the tip of my tongue...

OH THAT'S RIGHT, IT WAS FOX!!!!!!!

robwest

[131]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 4
    I hope UPN, NBC, or the WB picks up arrested, a new home and more promotion is what this show needs. If nothing else, I hope it somehow makes its way to syndication.

StreetPunk

[132]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 5
    I don't usually post on tv.com message boards (first time) but I'm so in love with this show that I feel an obligation.

I watched the entire first season DVD in one sitting, and the next few days I was depressed becuase I couldn't watch TV, everything was so boring compared to Arrested Development.

I bought the Season 2 DVD on Black Friday when it cost $10 at Best Buy, I should have bought like a zillion copies of it and just given them away as Christmas presents.

This show is genius, it's the only show besides the original Ninja Turtles that I look forward to the DVD release date. I'll never watch FOX again, especially not Sunday nights with the sh*t-tastic shows like Simpsons, War at Home, and American Dad. Even Family Guy is becoming lame. I hope this network DIES.

kEUGER

[133]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 2
    FOX is cancelling AD, whats next is it gonna pour coffee on my $3,000 suit? Cmon!!!!!

danjfriedman

[134]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 11
    FOX has clearly made a huge mistake. First off, does anyone else feel that AD getting cancelled is like a part of themselves dying? Or am I just a complete freak.

Second, is there ANY news on Showtime?

mikecanada

[135]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 13
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

aspydergirl

[136]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 2
    It makes me sad that so many American's are just too stupid to understand this great show. So many great comedies bite the dust.
    (To a previous poster...I loved Wonderfalls!)

StreetPunk

[137]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 5
    I'm American and I love this show. I was talking with a regular teenage girl about why she doesn't like AD and she said because it's too fast and she doesn't understand what's going on.

I think the problem is that the majority of FOX TV viewers are teenagers, and this show just has more of a mature tone to it. Had it been aired on NBC with scrubs and the office it would be fine.

Then again the success and ratings of a show have little to do with it's quality. It's all marketing, and AD wasn't marketed as well as it could have been. Show's like Desperate Housewives and Laguna Beach get all the press and that's why they're still going. Arrested probably wasn't controversial enough. When you think back to sitcoms of yesteryear which shows come to your mind? All in the Family, Threes Company, Seinfeld, Simpsons? All extremely controversial shows at one point.

hadex86

[138]Dec 23, 2005
    I totally agree with you #StreetPunk. This show deserves to be on another channel with more mature viewers.

Spawn_3005

[139]Dec 25, 2005
    Definitely, FOX is only about cheap sex jokes and humor a monkey would find redundant. It's should go to ABC or any other channel that doesn't have the leters F-O-X.

P.S. Does anyone know how I can add shows to "My Favorites" list?

TheExpert

[140]Dec 26, 2005
    • level: 7
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]