Neilsen's need to be pushed aside

divinematt

[1]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 5
    Why must good shows like Arrested be cancelled, while other horrible shows are allowed to continue?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jekyll

[2]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 86
    Because those other shows actually make money for the network. If networks only aired quality shows that a few people loved, they'd be out of business in a hurry.

koenig1189

[3]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 7

jekyll wrote:
    Because those other shows actually make money for the network. If networks only aired quality shows that a few people loved, they'd be out of business in a hurry.

FullMetalLuffy

[4]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    well maybe but fox didn't really give shows like arrested and others any real chance to be successful because of changing timeslots and not enough publicity.

divinematt

[5]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    An I think that is just a shame.

Dragonhowler

[6]Apr 29, 2006
    • level: 1
    Some things aren't meant to last anyway. At least they finished the series before it got axed.

Moby1969

[7]Apr 30, 2006
    • level: 3
    As people keep saying it would have been very expensive to make (large ensemble cast of good actors, location shooting).

I'm very thankful it made three years. Fox will make money off it in the long run with reruns, DVD, I hope.

gege48

[8]May 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    I think that if this show was on NBC it would have lasted longer. Any network would have benefited from this show with the right marketing strategy.

rar728

[9]May 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    Moby1969 wrote:
    I'm very thankful it made three years. Fox will make money off it in the long run with reruns, DVD, I hope.

No offense, but it always bugs me when I hear people say "at least we got 3 years (seasons)", because even though technically there were 3 seasons, there are only a total of 53 episodes, which is barely over 2 *full* seasons. Yeah, we got 3 seasons, but only one of those was a full season. 13 episodes for season 3 is a joke!!

Yeah, I'm still bitter.

Darth-Revan45

[10]Jun 4, 2006
    • level: 20
    I still cant get over Fox giving "War at Home" AD's spot when it came on, at least WAH has been removed from that spot and put dead last. If AD was on between Simpsons and Family guy the ratings would skyrocked I guarantee it. But now our only hope is to get NBC to pick it up because they do good with smart comedys.

danigro89

[11]Jun 4, 2006
    • level: 37

That's true.  Comedy Shows like Arrested Development are meant for Sundays and action adventure like 24 or Prison Break are good for mondays. That's why both Kitchen Confidential and Arrested Development got axed in the same week.

But atleast Arrested Development got their chance to make a series finale.

DinosaurSayRawr

[12]Jun 7, 2006
    Moving it to Monday made me cry a little. I always forgot it was on Mondays when I didn't work. Aaaaand it sucks that's it done but I keep telling myself that at least they didn't drag it on FOREVER using the same tired story lines that just ruined the greatness that it once was. I hate when they do that to shows =(

mikecanada

[13]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 13
    danigro89 wrote:

That's true. Comedy Shows like Arrested Development are meant for Sundays and action adventure like 24 or Prison Break are good for mondays. That's why both Kitchen Confidential and Arrested Development got axed in the same week.

Well CBS's monday night comedys always get really good ratings

Jrr6415sun

[14]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 9
    mikecanada wrote:
    danigro89 wrote:

That's true. Comedy Shows like Arrested Development are meant for Sundays and action adventure like 24 or Prison Break are good for mondays. That's why both Kitchen Confidential and Arrested Development got axed in the same week.

Well CBS's monday night comedys always get really good ratings

yea people are just making up excuses. The show relied too much on past episodes for it to get a lot of viewers. Fox gave it a lot of chances. Yes it would have been nice to be between family guy and the simpsons, but when it was on Sunday it didn't do that well either.

piano_pimp

[15]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 10
    TV is just a flawed medium where quality and innovation take a back seat to $$$....alas, that's the capitalist world we live in

Darth-Revan45

[16]Sep 3, 2006
    piano_pimp wrote:
    TV is just a flawed medium where quality and innovation take a back seat to $$$....alas, that's the capitalist world we live in

Cominiust! I hate how TV works now, when quality like Arrested Development dies and crap like War at Home and most of FOX's crappy Reality Shows remain on the air... ALL Reality SHows are crappy.

Wige247

[17]Sep 20, 2006
    The reason it didn't last was that it was too smart for it's own good. The show packed as much humor as it could in every scene, like Airplane or Naked Gun. But the problem was that the humor was too subtle for the average Joe Schmo. They'd have an obvious joke, then follow it up with a funny comment said under someone's breath, or a dead-pan delivery with perfect timing. And I think the reason the show was cancelled was because people couldn't keep up with the humor.

With laugh tracks cuing the jokes in 90% of the comedies on TV, a show with no laugh track, and subtle humor wasn't going to make it on network TV. This show would have been a perfect fit for HBO or Showtime.

Darth-Revan45

[18]Sep 21, 2006
    Wige247 wrote:
    The reason it didn't last was that it was too smart for it's own good. The show packed as much humor as it could in every scene, like Airplane or Naked Gun. But the problem was that the humor was too subtle for the average Joe Schmo. They'd have an obvious joke, then follow it up with a funny comment said under someone's breath, or a dead-pan delivery with perfect timing. And I think the reason the show was cancelled was because people couldn't keep up with the humor.

With laugh tracks cuing the jokes in 90% of the comedies on TV, a show with no laugh track, and subtle humor wasn't going to make it on network TV. This show would have been a perfect fit for HBO or Showtime.

And most shows with laugh tracks suck more than Paris Hilton.

Normal Dumbass: Guh laughtrack mean funny hur hur hur!

Smart Comedy liker: God "The War at Home" sucks... people watch this?

AmazingZeljko

[19]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 9
    To be fair to Fox, they did give the show three seasons which is a lot longer then they've done with past shows. Fox kept Arrested Development on life support for three years, which is a lot longer then they needed to, but given the shows critical acclaim and cult status, they could have decided to take the hit, get good press at award shows, and hope and pray the DVD sales would help supplement the financial loss. Even though they could have handled things better, Fox could easily have done a lot worse.

ssimonds1

[20]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 24
    I know I'm gonna catch a fair amount of Crap for this but I liked War at Home. Not as much as AD but as the father of three teen/preteens Ireally related to it.